Toybox DX Toy Of The Year 2003...

drifand

I just can't understand the popularity of the toys and cartoons.

Well. I was only six or seven years old when the Transformers originally aired on the local television stations. That stuck with me.......and I'm glad that MP Convoy took the title this year. Takara deserves it............

A Tranny won  <_<  What is the world coming to?  :(

LMAO! Was the pun intended?

Yes, it was intended. I know there are a lot of fans here, but sorry I just find the whole concept too silly. My pet name for the cartoon, toys and fans is 'Trannys' :p

I'm still pissed that Panda Z didn't win toy of the year. :angry:

Graham

I'm still pissed that Panda Z didn't win toy of the year. :angry:

Graham

Alright Graham. I'm convinced......put down the bottle of Yoshinol (or Tsingtao), take two steps back, and lock your fingers behind your head. :lol:

Takara MP-1 Masterpiece Convoy wins by a landslide... All hail the new King!!! :-)

Read all about it on the Rumbles...

I hope your friend "Occasional Fan" doesn't come here and blast us for staking the vote in Convoy/Prime's favor! :D

Speak for yourself, dude. I don't even know who you're talking about. :huh:

No need to assume fans from any one BBS are all like-minded. After all, I'm a Macross fan and I don't dig Yamato's stuff as much as most folks here do. Some TBDX folks may speak out loudly about their dislike for TFs, but I for one am pleased Convoy got the win.

Makes me wonder how popular the Transformers toys and animation actually are in Japan, as Transformers gets almost zero coverage in the Japanese hobby and anime magazines.

Graham

actually they are pretty common in some hobby mags such as "hobby japan" or "figure king" The magazine "hyper hobby" even has a "takara denji Gang express" article that focuses on tfs primarily

I voted for Smokescreen, because I didn't have MP Convoy yet (Just got mine yesterday). But I'm happy Prime won He's a a great toy, that's tall and sturdy enough to smack around a 1/48. :p

Sorry, I'm just not a Tranny fan. Never have been, never will be. I just can't understand the popularity of the toys and cartoons.

Surely you don't have to be a fan of the cartoon, or even the entire franchise, to appreciate a nice, well designed transforming toy. Does it need some UN Spacy logos on it to garner any cudos from you? :D

Surely you don't have to be a fan of the cartoon, or even the entire franchise, to appreciate a nice, well designed transforming toy. Does it need some UN Spacy logos on it to garner any cudos from you? :D

Probably.... :D Just playing!!

To me, the right toy won. Panda-Z, while nice looking, is seen by most as a parody toy. The 1/48 won last year, so why another head, tighter joints, and better looking hands win again? Smokescreen is awesome with very few faults (Paint chipping, little arm articulation are the only ones on top of my head). It shoulda been #3 in my book instead of the umpteenth Getter robot (Getters and Gundam toys in Japan are like roaches in Philly housing projects. There's never a shortage of them. But I digress)

What more can I say about Convoy that hasn't been said. It's truly is an evolution in Transformable toy engineering. And I truly encourage toy fans in general to at least check it out.

Even if the show itself isn't that popular in Japan, the MP Prime is an awesome piece of engineering and quality. Die cast sturdy construction, posable, looks great in both modes, and all for 90 bucks. I'm not surprized it took the crown really.

I don't buy any reissue transformers or anything really either. I only bought Season 1 and the movie, I have my figures from storage to clean up and store better, and I have bought Smokescreen and MP Prime, and that's it. I'll get alternator Hound when it comes out. Don't really want Sideswipe that much, though if I come across it in Target I'll consider it.

For all the pro's Prime had, and no real cons IMO, it earned it. Only questionable part was the grey rifle instead of black. That's it really. I would venture to say it was a stand-out release this last year, and is also the only Transformer prominently on display in my room.

Sorry, I'm just not a Tranny fan. Never have been, never will be. I just can't understand the popularity of the toys and cartoons.

My god! Okay I was expecting prime to win, but by that much :blink: Hey whatcha know, The 1/48 managed to actually have a noticable percentage unlike most of the rest.

BTW. I love transforming toys in general, thus I love G1 TFers, The new Anniversary series and BT. As well as macross toys, the few gundams that do transform, Dorvack, Xabungle, and the list goes on. Hell even from my nick you can tell I even love gobots. Some people are diecast whores, well for me, if it transforms I am there.

Edited by GobotFool

A Tranny won <_< What is the world coming to? :(

Graham.....call me the anti-Tranny

You mean Tranny as in Transformer or Transexual (no offense to anyone one ) :huh: ?

Anyway , I have to agree, as much as I loved Transformers (NOT transexuals) in my childhood , I have to say I´m dissapointed that a TF toy won such a competition , simply because due to the targeted market of the toy makes it not as nicely engineered as others. TF toys are nice action-puzzles but not much more , of course you can have a lot of fun with them , but design-wise they aren´t that marvelous.

Anyway , I have to agree, as much as I loved Transformers (NOT transexuals) in my childhood , I have to say I´m dissapointed that a TF toy won such a competition , simply because due to the targeted market of the toy makes it not as nicely engineered as others. TF toys are nice action-puzzles but not much more , of course you can have a lot of fun with them , but design-wise they aren´t that marvelous.

You don't have MP Convoy or any of the Binaltech/Alternator line do you? Those lines are to the G1 TF as what the 1/48 & 1/60 are to the 1/55's.

Anyway , I have to agree, as much as I loved Transformers (NOT transexuals) in my childhood , I have to say I´m dissapointed that a TF toy won such a competition , simply because due to the targeted market of the toy makes it not as nicely engineered as others. TF toys are nice action-puzzles  but not much more , of course you can have  a lot of fun with them , but design-wise they aren´t that marvelous.

You don't have MP Convoy or any of the Binaltech/Alternator line do you? Those lines are to the G1 TF as what the 1/48 & 1/60 are to the 1/55's.

Truedat. In truth BT and the new prime blow the 1/48th out the the water in terms of engineering quality. This is from someone who thought that the 1/48 could not be beat!

Edited by GobotFool

Truedat. In truth BT and the new prime blow the 1/48th out the the water in terms of engineering quality. This is from someone who thought that the 1/48 could not be beat!

Hate to say it, but I wasn't real impressed with my BT Smokescreen...

Vostok 7

Hate to say it, but I wasn't real impressed with my BT Smokescreen...

Vostok 7

Different tastes I suppose. For me BT and the new anniversary series are a dream come true, as was the 1/48th. Perhaps it was a little harsh to say BT "blows the 1/48 out of the water" as it really doesn't, hell its probably not even fair to make such a comparison.

Graham.....call me the anti-Tranny

Would some clever and impudent mod please make this Graham's new member title?

Sure, I know he's the boss, but it would really crack me up. Max!

;)

All right MilkMan!!!!!

It was nice knowing you :p:lol::lol:

that's a rather odd statement considering the popularity of macross variable fighters. both toys transform, hence they're cool.

While I can appreciate nice engineering on a toy, that is not enough to make me rush off and buy it (or vote for it).

For me to buy a toy, it has to be of a mecha design I actually like. The toy has to be aesthetically pleasing, well articulated and generally well designed. Lastly it should be from an anime or game I actually like.

In my younger, wilder, more carefree days, I'd buy mecha toys just because they were well designed or had interesting gimmicks, irrespective of whether I actually like the mecha design or the anime it was from. Then one day not so long ago, I realised I had a house full of toys that I hardly ever looked at or touched, so I decided to get rid of most of them on ebay and stick just to the designs I really like.

These days I have strict rules about which toys I purchase. My interests are mostly in 'real type military robots'. And even then I'm really picky. These days the only mecha designs that I find attractive enough to make me buy toys are Macross, Mospeada, Gundam Sentinel, V Gundam & Combattler V. That's it.

The Takara Convoy may be a superbly engineered toy, but transfroming trucks and cars hold no interest for me, so I'd never consider buying it. Likewise, everybody raves about the Bandai SOC Dancougar, but as I find the concept of animals that transform/combine into robots silly, I'd never buy it. Same with the Bandai SOC EVAs. They may be great toys, but I've never liked the design, so why buy it.

Graham