Toybox DX Toy Of The Year 2003...

drifand

For me to buy a toy I must first, like the design it is based on, and second I must consider the toy to be of at least acceptable quality and worth the money. Liking the show/fictional universe it is from is not required. That said I really dig Prime and I really like the look of the Dancougar (that and the fact I played with a friends original Dancougar when I was little and it made an impression on me).

Edited by GobotFool

Graham.....call me the anti-Tranny

Would some clever and impudent mod please make this Graham's new member title?

Sure, I know he's the boss, but it would really crack me up. Max!

;)

Hee! Thanks Milkman. You've made my day.

That, and the fact that I got my 20th Anniversary Prime from UPS.

After transforming it and admiring the sculpt for the last few hours, it's absolutely no surprise that it won hands down. It truly is a design marvel, the best I've seen since I first got my hands on a 1/48 valkyrie.

Also, Convoy/Prime is just such a powerful nostalgic piece to Americans who grew up in the 80's. I can only hope they put out more Masterpiece editions. It's like having a Transformer with the care and love usually put into Gundams or Yamatos. There's definitely a place for such a collector's line.

Also, Convoy/Prime is just such a powerful nostalgic piece to Americans who grew up in the 80's. I can only hope they put out more Masterpiece editions. It's like having a Transformer with the care and love usually put into Gundams or Yamatos. There's definitely a place for such a collector's line.

Word! You took the words right out of my mouth. Prime was my first TF and probably my favorite toy from Childhood. So to see him get this type of Masterpiece treatment is a dream come true. :wub:

I voted for 'ol Danny Boy because at that time I hadn't received my MPC convoy, but I sure am glad it won. It is easily the best toy I have bought in a long time! A well deserved victory.

Joe P.

Right. And might I add that it was shows such as TF, Voltron, and Tranzor Z (Mazinger-Z) that ignighted Mech popularity in the US. Sure Shogun Warriors came out in the 70's, but they didn't blow up as much as TF and Voltron. To a lot of people Optimus Prime, not Gundam, not Getter "Fill in the blank", is the quintessential big ass Japanese robot. Which is ironic since it was Marvel that gave a tool in the Diaclone universe a soul. Personally I like the GoLion design more. But I do give credit when credit is due. And Prime is it for 2004.

Also, Convoy/Prime is just such a powerful nostalgic piece to Americans who grew up in the 80's.  I can only hope they put out more Masterpiece editions.  It's like having a Transformer with the care and love usually put into Gundams or Yamatos.  There's definitely a place for such a collector's line.

Right. And might I add that it was shows such as TF, Voltron, and Tranzor Z (Mazinger-Z) that ignighted Mech popularity in the US. Sure Shogun Warriors came out in the 70's, but they didn't blow up as much as TF and Voltron. To a lot of people Optimus Prime, not Gundam, not Getter "Fill in the blank", is the quintessential big ass Japanese robot. Which is ironic since it was Marvel that gave a tool in the Diaclone universe a soul. Personally I like the GoLion design more. But I do give credit when credit is due. And Prime is it for 2004.

I think alot of the "backlash" over the toy is simply based on Optimus Prime's enormous popularity in the states. It's far, far cooler to buy a toy most folks haven't heard of. Every guy I know in his early 30's/late 20's immediately recognizes Prime.

Popularity = Uncool

BTW - I love the phrase Getter "Fill In the Blank", JRock.

I think alot of the "backlash" over the toy is simply based on Optimus Prime's enormous popularity in the states. It's far, far cooler to buy a toy most folks haven't heard of. Every guy I know in his early 30's/late 20's immediately recognizes Prime.

Popularity = Uncool

BTW - I love the phrase Getter "Fill In the Blank", JRock.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if the old super robots became popular in the states.

Takara MP-1 Masterpiece Convoy wins by a landslide... All hail the new King!!! :-)

Read all about it on the Rumbles...

I hope your friend "Occasional Fan" doesn't come here and blast us for staking the vote in Convoy/Prime's favor! :D

Speak for yourself, dude. I don't even know who you're talking about. :huh:

No need to assume fans from any one BBS are all like-minded. After all, I'm a Macross fan and I don't dig Yamato's stuff as much as most folks here do. Some TBDX folks may speak out loudly about their dislike for TFs, but I for one am pleased Convoy got the win.

Last year, someone who hangs out on the Toybox DX forums, came here to Macross World under the name of "Occasional Fan" (he had a Zaku II head for his avatar) and started personally blasting me and a bunch of other people because Yamato's 1/48th scale VF-1A had won the toy of the year award all because us Macross fans had "stacked the vote". He was on Macross World on and off throughout 2003, but after the new Macross World forumss were created, I haven't seen him since.

My comments weren't aimed at you or anyone else associated with Toybox DX, either the site or its forums. :)

Heck, Gundam became 'uncool' for SOME folks when it became soooo successful in the US. Apollo, just forget that jerk... Peace!

Yeah I remember that happening. I really didn't mind, it gave me more people to talk to about Gundam MS design with.

Not that he needs any excuses for winning, since he clearly deserved to win, but the best argument that I agree with for Prime/Convoy deserving to win is that Prime/Convoy is more of a TOY than Dancougar is and at a more acceptable PRICE POINT. I sure as hell voted for him. Guaranteed, more people will PLAY with their Prime/Convoy than old second place finisher Danny-boy.

I love all kinds of toys, from plastic to diecast, robots to action figures. I love ToyBoxDX, Macrossworld, and all the Trans Fans sites. I love 1/48 Valks, giant idols of solid diecast metal like Dancougar, and folks, Prime/Convoy EARNED and DESERVED that win.

If Macrossworld held the exact same TOTY vote this year, I'm pretty sure that Prime/Convoy would still have won. And if TFW2005 held the TOTY vote the year before, I think the VF-1A would still have won that year too. People know a great toy when they see one.

And frankly, he's just a great, great TOY. Period.

:)

Heck, Gundam became 'uncool' for SOME folks when it became soooo successful in the US. Apollo, just forget that jerk... Peace!

Yeah I remember that happening. I really didn't mind, it gave me more people to talk to about Gundam MS design with.

Not only that... but all the cool toys that have come along because of that popularity... not to mention US releases, etc... Better DVDs... but for some reason the stigma of being "popular" or worse, "recognizable to the average american" is hard to shake amongst anime snobs.

If old school Super Robots became the next big kids show on Cartoon Network, you'd see a massive fallout amongst the ToyboxDX fans. Some people are just like that. Others would be totally fine with it. In the end, it's just like Graham said - if you like a design, then you like it.