YF-1R (Jack Archer)

hey, if it's going fast enough, it would be practically invisible to the actual units (rather than their radar). Ever try catching a bullet?

The main problem here is not the speed.... is how a simple variation of the basic VF1 would be able to attain such incredible speeds with a simple armor down-grade. Sure... its lighter, but it would have to attain amazing speeds to be invisible. Heck... even a VF1 with fast packs isn't invisible to radar, and goes so fast..... does the 1R achieves light speed? :blink:

Heck... even a VF1 with fast packs isn't invisible to radar, and goes so fast..... does the 1R achieves light speed? :blink:

Ah, now we know what the "R" in "YF-1R" stands for -

Relativity! :lol:

For a second there I thought you were gonan say "retarded." :lol:

Theoretically, if they reduced the amount of armor the weight would go down and hence they'd go faster, but I doub't it'd be enough to make a real difference.

That's what I've always wondered. Sure dropping some armor might allow it to go faster but for the most part it still has to have the same equipment of a standard VF-1. I'm talking during normal construction of a fighter, then include the parts needed for it to transform. Speed wouldn't be that much greater if armor was dropped, after all its still the same fighter. Now I would be more incline to agree that a completely new design would much, much faster so it could evade radar but not something of the same design with just less armor. Goes against a little thing call logic doesn't it?

That's what I've always wondered. Sure dropping some armor might allow it to go faster but for the most part it still has to have the same equipment of a standard VF-1. I'm talking during normal construction of a fighter, then include the parts needed for it to transform. Speed wouldn't be that much greater if armor was dropped, after all its still the same fighter. Now I would be more incline to agree that a completely new design would much, much faster so it could evade radar but not something of the same design with just less armor. Goes against a little thing call logic doesn't it?

And the funny thing is... according to Robotech: Battlecry, the VF1S has almost no armor what so ever. And if you compare it to the 1R... they have around the same armor rating.... how come the VF1S can't go to warp speed and magically become invisible? :blink:

hey, if it's going fast enough, it would be practically invisible to the actual units (rather than their radar). Ever try catching a bullet?

The main problem here is not the speed.... is how a simple variation of the basic VF1 would be able to attain such incredible speeds with a simple armor down-grade. Sure... its lighter, but it would have to attain amazing speeds to be invisible. Heck... even a VF1 with fast packs isn't invisible to radar, and goes so fast..... does the 1R achieves light speed? :blink:

That is a good topic for debate. I was just trying to explain the context in which the word "stealth" was used. Unfortunately, I don't have any more information about these inconsistencies within the storyline.

The mods are angels here compaired to other forums and chatrooms *Cough*#tvnihon*cough*

You should visit their IRC channel and play a drinking game. You'd be drunk is seconds.

Anyways, drop armor to make it faster? Mmmmmkay.

The mods are angels here compaired to other forums and chatrooms *Cough*#tvnihon*cough*

You should visit their IRC channel and play a drinking game. You'd be drunk is seconds.

Anyways, drop armor to make it faster? Mmmmmkay.

Well, technically it makes sense. Its just not a very logical thing to do. But they had to make the YF-1R "special" in some way, too bad Yune is an idiot.

And this Jack Archer character sounds like someone HG dreamed up as a Fokker replacement.

He was the star of the video game Robotech: Battlecry.

If anything he was a Rick Hunter replacement; look at that hair and the fact that he's a major wuss. Sadly, just about all the characters in Battlecry were mor eor less soulless copies of the original Macross cast.

The game was crappy(stupid ceiling limits like what? 100 feet off the ground?)and the characters are ANNNNNNOYING! it's like, I don't need some bridge bunny giving me instructions every freaking five minutes! In a real combat scenario, you want to keep radio silence at all times.

TDK? they should just stick to making VHS tapes and cassette tapes.

not a bad link but not much of a review..it was more like a detailed schematic.

if i didn't know about the import market i'ld certaintly be excited to get an mpc.

(lol and i thought i was the only one who thinks tv-n is an uptight group. just trying to get a fansub from them is a chore :| )

Remember now, Robotech veritechs did not need equipment for transformation, they used protoculture.

Protoculture? :blink:

Unfortunately, I don't have any more information about these inconsistencies within the storyline.

don't worry. if you had to go through and find an explaination on every plot inconsistency, you'd be busy for a long time, and simply come to the conclusion that it makes no possible sense.

:p

Well, technically it makes sense. Its just not a very logical thing to do. But they had to make the YF-1R "special" in some way, too bad Yune is an idiot.

Yes, technically it makes sense. But the frame is still the same VF-1 with a new head and new targeting computer. The engines are still the same engines. When you think about it, how is making it lighter going to add a significant amount of speed to the machine. It's kinda like the VF-1X (and VF-1X plus versions). It's still a VF-1 but the powerplant was completely updated to add a significant amount of power to the machine. When I read the info provided by the review (there's nothing wrong with the review BTW), then look at the Robotech site, it sounds like they took off the head and added a new computer to the VF-1. It's still a VF-1 except for the computer controlling the fighter. So, to me, that's why it sounds funny.

Also "a-hole World", apparently.  :p

And no. I'm not kissing ass here. I'm for real.

Damn right! I can't stand those a-holeS at Row-bo-tek.com! That site reeks of censorship and fascist bootleg cooperate stench. Not only that, most of the posters(95%) all have the IQ of an E-coli bacteria and don't know squat about JAPANESE Anime. Sad really :rolleyes:

Hardcore collectors collect these:

y48vf1s_hikaru_proto1.jpg

Stooopid asses pay $80 for "it":

mpcv6_proto.jpg

Edited by 91WhiskeyM6

So basically, in Robotech the 1-R can go very high speeds with virtually no armor - so if it hits that golf-ball floating around in space it's toast.

Brilliant.

Of course it's stealthy, it doesn't survive long enough to register on radar - my God, something even easier to blow up than a cannon-fodder! This Jack Archer guy must have a death-wish.

I'd just like to point out that my original comment about the YF-1Rs "stealth features" is not meant to be yet another attack on the MPC - I don't really have an opinion on the MPC ( at least as a toy - I don't personally like the proportions as shown in pictures, which seem to be a bit "off" ) one way or another, though its obvious its based on older designs than the Yamato Valkyries ( of which I do have a couple ). I've only ever seen a MPC, curiously enough, at a Japanese convention, and never held one in my hands - I trust other MW members judgement on what they might be like, but I won't have a final opinion on one until I actually handle one, which is going to be pretty unlikely given my geographical location.

However, this doesn't mean that I agree with the history of Harmony Gold, either... :rolleyes:

Having cleared that up, having been interested in military aviation for a while, I just felt I couldn't let that description pass without comment. I think this is one problem HG are going to have by not having access to Japanese source material; Shoji Kawamori was an aeronautical engineering student, or at the very least, was considering it, and understands the issues involved.

I'll admit that Macross stretches plausibility very, very thin a lot, but I would like to think that Kawamori wouldn't have come up with a comment like that as he probably knows better... which also moves us onto the issue of "lightening the armour". This is not wholly implausible, though again, even if it did increase speed by a truly significant amount, still does not equal stealth. And again, the licensing issues come into play, because Macross Zero has revealed that Valks are equipped with some form of energy reinforced armour and that increasing engine power is probably going to have far more effect on speed...

( I suppose you could probably strip a Valkyrie down completely - as the US and USSR used to do with Eagles and Foxbats in order to gain aviation records, but you'd end up with a fighter that could only down an enemy by colliding with it )...

...but then the argument can go that Veritechs are not Valkyries...

...so, er, have I sat on the fence enough to satisfy everyone yet?! ;)

When you say "special" you have to imagine the YF-1R limping holding it's right hand in a curled up position under it's chin, riding the short bus to Valkyrie school.

And yes, Yune is an idiot, but even worse, he thinks that his fans are idiots. I won't generalize all RT fans here, some of them are idiots yes, but idiots abound everywhere in the world. The only constant in the universe is the stupidity of others.

He apparently doesn't realize (or doesn't care) that the fans who are now paying 80 bucks for collector's grade toys are not 10-15 years old anymore, and will no longer buy any piece of crap explanation he throws at them.

Alot of the original RT fans that came back are in their mid to late 20's - Early 30's have gone to college, some of them have even had sex with a girl!. You can sell that bullcrap to a 10-15 year old kid, but he should take into account that the fan base is a bit longer in the tooth, and at least try to come up with some sort of plausible explanation.

But while I was ranting, I ran out of Protoculture, hey buddy!, Ten bucks on number 12 please!.

The Scott-type Alpha is due out this month, I believe.

EDIT:

Do recall that the YF-1R was made in Battlecry, a video game. The producers had to do something to differentiate between the mecha, so as to convince players to try the new toys out instead of sticking with the plain cannon fodder type. And video games are not known for their adherance to "real life".

Edited by CoryHolmes

Damn right! I can't stand those a-holeS at Row-bo-tek.com! That site reeks of censorship and fascist bootleg cooperate stench. Not only that, most of the posters(95%) all have the IQ of an E-coli bacteria and don't know squat about JAPANESE Anime. Sad really :rolleyes:

Hardcore collectors collect these:

Stooopid asses pay $80 for "it":

Ok man, enough is enough. No one here will deny you your opinion, but lighten up a little. I have no love whatsoever for Robotech, but your post borders on being insulting to specific people who DO like it, AND are respected members here. Maybe they think YOU are an a-hole, at least they're kind enough not to say it. Do you see what I mean?

Both times you've posted in this thread you've done nothing but fling derogatory phrases around without any real intelligence to back up what you're saying (I'm not necessarily talking about facts either). I'm not a moderator so I can't FORCE you to do anything, but I can say from one member to another that this isn't cool... not in the least. Back off a little man, please.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my two cents, I'd consider picking it up just because it was unique... but I'm definately going to wait until the price comes down. I've handled MPC's previously and I most certainly would and could not justify that price for the low-level of workmanship they offer. Everything else aside, the color is kinda neat.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the comments, we really appreciate them!

Just a quick question, if you wouldn't mind: There are a lot of pictures on the reviews, both on this one, and the one's for the YF-21 and the VF-11. Is the download time prohibitive for viewing the page? This question is really apt for all those 56kers out there. Do we need to try to minimize the download time, or is it okay where it stands now? Thanks ahead of time.