New purchase advise

Valkyrie Driver

So, with my tax return this year, I plan on purchasing a couple Macross toys. I've found a yamato yf-19 that I want to purchase, and it's one that i have wanted for a good long while. The other is a VF171, but I don't know if I want that or a VF-17.

I recently heard that Yamato went out of business, and is now arcadia. All the Arcadia toys I've seen are way more than the Yamato toys that I'm used to. I've been away for a while, so I'm not up on the new players.

How is the Chogokin DX line? I have a pre-chogokin VF-25, and it's kinda floppy and not fun, so how does the chogokin line compare?

Would I be happier with the older yamato vf-17 over the chogokin vf-171? Would I be happier with the Arcadia YF-19 or the Older Yamato?

Help!?

I can't speak much of the VF-17 or VF-171 since I don't own any of them. What I do know is the VF-171 CF is known to breakage issues.

For the DX Chogokin line, be sure to pick up the Renewal (version 2) versions of the VF-25F, S, G and RVF-25. They are a great improvement over the version 1. I have the Arcadia YF-19 it is not perfect and has a few issues, but it is still a great Valk.

I do recommend going to jenius' website, it has a lot of information that can help you make your decisions.

Yes, Yamato gone bankrupt. Arcada is the new company that replaced it, seems to be run by the same people and retained some of old Yamato molds like 1:60 VF-1 v2, but their prices are a lot higher now.

Bandai DX renewal - The market went crazy when the first release of YF-29, VF-25F renewal and VF-25S renewal became very hard to find and their market price blow up. They are now scalper's favourite and new release of popular units are being sold out within a minute.

Yamato VF-17 vs Bandai VF-171 - avoid the CF-171 (i.e. the teal green one) due to quality problems. Personally I like my 171 a lot more than my 17, but primary because of the colour and shape preference.

You can still get VF-17S and VF-19S at a good discount from here:

http://www.hkcollectibles.com/10-macross-robotech-1-60?orderby=quantity&orderway=desc

Alto VF-171EX is hard to get at normal price. Consider the new one coming out instead:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=42136

YF-19 - The Arcada YF-19 is the 4th version of 19 from Yamato/Arcadia - 1:72 YF-19, 1:60 YF-19, 1:60 VF-19, then the Arcadia. Unless you can find a good deal on the old one or really like the fold drive I would prefer the new one. But there is a new Bandai DX VF-19 coming out in May that has a lower list price and may be a better choice, but it's another scalper's favourite too.

Thanks guys, I saw that issue with the CF, and decided to look elsewhere for some VF-17/171 goodness, I think I've found it and I'm happy with the price point, it's about what I expected to see, so provided there are no shipping issues I'll have my valks mid next month.

Also, I'm not real impressed by the VF-25, there's too much fighter mode junk hanging off of it. I just like the cleaner looks of the VF-0/1/11/17/19/171. Though the 19 does have some fighter mode leftovers hanging out on the hips, I can deal with that, as it the Battroid mode still looks sleeker, more like a ombat machine, and less like a transformer. That's what drew me to the Macross toy line, was that the Battroids looked like mechs, and the fighters looked like fighters.

I've tracked down the VF-171EX Alto, a YF-19, and I've decided to go ahead and round out my collection with an SV-51. I know the SV-51 isn't as great as some of the newer toys, but I wanted to round out my M0 mini-collection (I have a VF-0A). Does the CF SV-51 have any problems I should be aware of?

I've tracked down the VF-171EX Alto, a YF-19, and I've decided to go ahead and round out my collection with an SV-51. I know the SV-51 isn't as great as some of the newer toys, but I wanted to round out my M0 mini-collection (I have a VF-0A). Does the CF SV-51 have any problems I should be aware of?

The SV-51 is a great catch as long as you are aware of its shortcomings. It looks great, but you need to handle it with care. As xrentonx said it is very sharp, and fairly finicky. It does not usually hold its shape very well in each mode as things tend to un-tab themselves or wobble. Luckily, it does come with a workable display stand. Keep in mind the SV-51 is HUGE.

Check out anymoon.com

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Thanks, I saw the Scorched Earth review. He mentioned some issues with one of the wing hinges being wonky and not cooperating. I just wondered if that was an issue with the CF version or not. I haven't purchased yet, I just wanted to make an informed buying decision. Seems like I'm going to be fine.

I placed the order this morning, should get some of it very soon, part of the order is coming from japan, so I'll have to wait a while for that. The rest of it is coming from the states so I should see that sooner. Thanks for all of your help.

I actually decided to round out the whole collection, Amazon was my intermediary, all are 1/60 scale, I got a Yamato YF-19 OVA colors, A CF SV-51, a VF-171EX alto custom, and a Tomahawk Destroid. I had to have the destroid, because That plus my v2 VF-1 inspired some of my favorite battletech mechs, So it was a must have. All told it was a hefty chunk of change, but will neatly round out my collection for the foreseeable future. The YF-19 is coming from Toystop, The SV-51 from AnimePop, the VF-171 from Origami-Japan, Tomahawk from Oneness World. The VF-171 and Destroid are coming from Japan, so they'll take a while. THe rest of it should be here next week at the latest.

It's hard to know when I'll get around to it, I have so many other projects to get done. Warhammer armies that need painting, airsoft guns that need tuning, a gaming table that needs making... I'll be busy for a good long while.

Aside from the Arcadia, which is entirely too expensive, there is really no YF-19 to be had. The VF-19 advance from Bandai isn't out yet, and even then all of those are spoken for. I've had worse valks, still do. The YF-19 is still worlds better than the v1 VF-0A, which I have. I didn't want a VF-19F/S or Fire Valk, because they don't have the aesthetic I'm looking for. I'd love to have an arcadia, but like I said, too expensive...

My collection is nothing to sneeze at so far.my 1/60's v1 VF-0A, v2 VF-1S (focker w/strike/super parts), v1 VF25, v1VF-1A TRU, VF-11C. I have some 1/100's as well, VF-19S hi metal, and a couple of toynamis, VF1-A max DYRL, VF-1S focker with super/strike parts.

Anyway, the arcadias were a bit too pricey,and not readily available...

Hey, just like every other russian jet... Supposedly mine is out for delivery as we speak. Should have it when I get home.

Nice. As a reminder, the caps on the wing ports for the tampo-ed boosters can be pushed up from the underside of the wing. I had forgotten about that when I was handling it awhile ago.

So it was there waiting for me, in a shipping box the size of texas. The only issues I've run into so far, are the arms don't really seem to lock in place in battroid mode, and I can't get the Under wing stores to attach. Seems like the peg is a bit too big, but I didn't really sit there and give it a real hard go.

Forgot to add that my Nora had a minor issue with the clear pieces that represent the wing lights falling off. They probably didn't use enough glue. Easy to solve problem though. I have an Ivanov without that problem but you should check em. They'd be a bitch to find if they fell off during handling.

So I was browsing HLJ, and I found an arcadia VF-1J GBP-1. I've always wanted one, I've spent my allowance, so to speak, It's still a few months off, and I'm sure they'll be available for a good while, the other thing is it's being offered for a pretty good price, considering what I've seen arcadias go for. Would it be a good addition? Or should I find some old yamato GBP armor for my VF-1S?

So I was browsing HLJ, and I found an arcadia VF-1J GBP-1. I've always wanted one, I've spent my allowance, so to speak, It's still a few months off, and I'm sure they'll be available for a good while, the other thing is it's being offered for a pretty good price, considering what I've seen arcadias go for. Would it be a good addition? Or should I find some old yamato GBP armor for my VF-1S?

I suggest you get the upcoming one instead. It's cheaper and bundles with a VF-1J. Prices on the stand-alone is kinda more expensive I believe. Unless you're looking for the ones that comes with the missle effect? Or the ones that has the grey visor. Then, that's a different story. :lol: But money-wise, it's better to get the upcoming one. Hope that helps. ;)