DYRL flight suits and helmets (and other stuff...)

Montarvillois

I was just wondering,

Does anybody know what purpose the shoulder pads on the DYRL flight suit serve. There is like a dot beneath the pad that matches the helmet's main color, is that a sensor of some sort ?

hel-u-05.jpg

Also, Is there a reason for the long lid over the pilot's eyes, wouldn't this impair the range of sight of the pilot ?. I noticed small laser tracking devices in Macross zero that are located in the lid to give heads up missile tracking capability to Roy, was there any reference to such a system in DYRL or the tv series that would explain such a long lid ?.

On more thing, when in battroid mode, what kind of controls are used to provide precise arm and leg movement. The joystick between to pilot's legs wouldn't be too appropriate to provide such control so is there a relation between the (?) sensors on the pilot's suit and battroid movement control ?.

Boy, I know this is a lot to ask but really, I've been asking myself the question for a while so please Macross gurus, enlighten me.

Thanks

Didn't you see DYRL? the shoulder pads acted as light source and I assume protection for the pilot.

The dot is there cause it's purdy.

The lid is there cause it's purdy.

They removed the joystick between the pilot's legs? OW!!!!!

Watch DYRL? or grab yourself a DYRL? art book.

Does anybody know what purpose the shoulder pads on the DYRL flight suit serve. There is like a dot beneath the pad that matches the helmet's main color, is that a sensor of some sort ?

Presumably an indicator. Aren't the flightsuits equipped with basic life support?

Also, Is there a reason for the long lid over the pilot's eyes, wouldn't this impair the range of sight of the pilot ?. I noticed small laser tracking devices in Macross zero that are located in the lid to give heads up missile tracking capability to Roy, was there any reference to such a system in DYRL or the tv series that would explain such a long lid ?.

It was never shown that such a device existed, but I would assume it's existence since it seemed to be added in Mac0 solely to explain how pilots could target fast enough to shoot down incoming missiles.

On more thing, when in battroid mode, what kind of controls are used to provide precise arm and leg movement. The joystick between to pilot's legs wouldn't be too appropriate to provide such control so is there a relation between the  (?) sensors on the pilot's suit and battroid movement control ?.

If I recall, TV-style cockpits had spare joysticks that were used in battroid(and GERWALK?) mode.

I was just wondering,

In the DYRL that serves as Beacon (Hey, I am here!) if you were ejected into space. It's lights up for rescuers to find you easily. Also I would guess there's a secondary back up beacon/battery/oxygen in the shoulders besides the backpack unit. Double assurance for survival.

hel-u-05.jpg

In Macross Plus that "lid" is clear, so the pilot can see through. I would assume that "lid" would be also clear or dark tinted accordingly to situations, as to provide anti glare from sun or laser, or missiles explosions nearby (in DYRL the big missiles were supposed to be mini nukes?)

On another thought, that must be a crushing "zone" like an airbag on the car, if the pilot hit the head on the panel, that lid would absorb the impact?

On more thing, when in battroid mode, what kind of controls are used to provide precise arm and leg movement. The joystick between to pilot's legs wouldn't be too appropriate to provide such control so is there a relation between the (?) sensors on the pilot's suit and battroid movement control ?.

I think that's where they conveniently use the "protoculture" theory? Maybe the mecha and machine integrates into one?!

Boy, I know this is a lot to ask but really, I've been asking myself the question for a while so please Macross gurus, enlighten me.

Thanks

:D

In battroid mode, they don't use the joystick between their legs. Okay that just sounded so wrong for a guy....

Anyways....for battroid mode, they use seperate controllers for the arms and pedals for the legs.

Watch DYRL? or grab yourself a DYRL? art book.

Or for that matter, any artbook? Cuz those artbooks got lots of stuff....

When it comes right down to it any control system for any humanoid mecha that doesn't feature some sort of neural link is just "wierd science." Modern technology is struggling just to create a computer controlled robot that can walk and balance without falling over. Walking upright with only two legs is such a complex action that it takes a human being nearly year to learn how to do it.

In the real world (visited it once, didn't like it) there is no way a pilot could control something like a battroid just by waggling joysticks or pressing pedals, even if the controllers simply initiated a preprogrammed movement sequence. When it comes to something as complicated as putting a coat on a battroid in a toilet cubicle, I think we just have to suspend our disbelief and accept that its possible without worrying about how its actually done.

in warhammer 40k

there is a race called the tau

they use mecha, VW beetle sized battlesuits

they control via a large needle that plunges itself directly into the brain via a matrix-like socket.

they then "become" the mecha/battlesuit and ther body lies limp inside.

cool huh

that is how i think the macross mech should work.

anyways, i am done making silly sounds in the corner.

capt. kraimer out.-

in warhammer 40k

there is a race called the tau

they use mecha, VW beetle sized battlesuits

they control via a large needle that plunges itself directly into the brain via a matrix-like socket.

they then "become" the mecha/battlesuit and ther body lies limp inside.

cool huh

that is how i think the macross mech should work.

anyways, i am done making silly sounds in the corner.

capt. kraimer out.-

Ouch.

Then there's the G-Gundam method of the "trace-suit" which basically has the person wear a weird suit that translates all their movements into mechanical motion.. still falls apart at the idea of how they walk, jump etc... see, if you jump, so does the mech.. but then, how are you jumping, if the floor rises with you? Also, I have yet to see it explained how the walking works.. eventually, you'd run into the cockpit wall... so it's got some sort of omni-directional treadmill floor??

I agree, personally, the matrix-plug style interface is probably the only thing that would give true-to-anime control.

Of course, when you think about it, in games, you can control a complex mecha with only a nintento controller... all the calculations are pre-programmed, so all you have to do to walk is press "forward." Maybe, to some extent, the mech is programmed to always balance itself etc, and all you have to do is control which direction it moves in... the AI does the rest. It's pretty unbelievable, yes, but considering they have metal which can change it's own structure on command (like the YF-21's wings in Mac+) it's not too hard to imagine.

We discussed something along these lines back on the old boards as well. In my personnal opinion I think that Macross uses a hybrid control scheme. The stick, throttle and rudder pedals are used for general bot motion and directional control, with the computers compensating to make it walk and stay balanced. Weapons aiming is accomplished via eye motion control, basically the device you see in Macross-0, yet was never explicitely illustrated before. Fine motion control and combat moves are translated through the pilot's movements. The movement of the head is directly tied to the helmet and eye sensors, so when the pilot looks up the battroid looks up focusing the main cameras there and bringing a clearer image to the upper monitors. Hand and arm control uses sensors in the forearms of the flight suit, hence their size, to deteremine things like punches and using ones rifle as a bat, firing it etc... Mind you the hands must still say on the controls to keep the valk moving. The same goes for the legs and kicking, hey those bell bottoms are both fashionable and practical, lol. It would take a lot of training to learn how to use it effectively and a lot of activities would be preprogrammed in by the pilot and factory. It would be complicated but usable. IN my own stories when battle suits (fighting robots) are used there are three four control methods. 1) A motion suit, where the pilot is strapped into a frame and wears a VR helmet setup, his motions (or hers) are then translated into the bots motion. COmplex and not the most effective it is a stopgap measure. 2) Direct Nueral interface, basically your matrix plug in the back of the head. 3) Indirect nueral interface, a "mind reading" helmet much like Guld's is employed here and the pilot controls the bot as if it were their own body. 4) Body replacement, not a popular method, but in this one elite soldiers have their brains removed and permanently hard wired into their bots, mind you these bots are a heck of a lot tougher and stronger then any other.

When it comes right down to it any control system for any humanoid mecha that doesn't feature some sort of neural link is just "wierd science." Modern technology is struggling just to create a computer controlled robot that can walk and balance without falling over. Walking upright with only two legs is such a complex action that it takes a human being nearly year to learn how to do it.

Sony humanoid robot!!!!

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/20...200312/03-060E/

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1218/sony.htm

When it comes right down to it any control system for any humanoid mecha that doesn't feature some sort of neural link is just "wierd science." Modern technology is struggling just to create a computer controlled robot that can walk and balance without falling over.  Walking upright with only two legs is such a complex action that it takes a human being nearly year to learn how to do it.

Sony humanoid robot!!!!

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/20...200312/03-060E/

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1218/sony.htm

You know there's a Kawamori-designed Aibo?

Designated the ERS-220.

post-2-1072839026.jpg

i hope it transforms into a tank.

d0g - tank

BEAST WARS!!!

a tank? naaaahhh, how bout an R/C car?

Naw how bout a casette tape.>>>>>>"RAVAGE ATTACK"(said in crazy synth voice of Soundwave)>>>>>>

even if the controllers simply initiated a preprogrammed movement sequence. When it comes to something as complicated as putting a coat on a battroid in a toilet cubicle

hate to be a programmer for a valk.

[valk programmer] let see next i should program a valk to shake his nose cone everytime a kill is made. [/valk programmer]

Edited by Zentrandude

even if the controllers simply initiated a preprogrammed movement sequence. When it comes to something as complicated as putting a coat on a battroid in a toilet cubicle

hate to be a programmer for a valk.

[valk programmer] let see next i should program a valk to shake his nose cone everytime a kill is made. [/valk programmer]

Pilot: Make it so I can flick the enemy off.

Programmer: WHAT? Do you realize how tight RAM already is with the REQUIRED motion routines for all 3 modes in space, atmosphere, and on land, anti-missile systems, transformation algorythms, safety checks on the transformation algorythms, et cetera?!?!?! And all the controls are ALREADY bound to actual USEFUL motions!

You want me to wire a new button in AND find some extra storage space for this idiocy?

Pilot: Man, I don't care about all that nerd stuff, I just want to piss somebody off in a dogfight. Do it.