I saw this last weekend. It felt really short, and having everything just go downhill, like with the original film, just didn't interest me. I wanted more meat with Owen's story, with the entire island attraction, at least make it like a tour hidden in the movie or something. I'm sure I'm the only one who wanted this, :lol: .

Of the two kids, the older brother was the most annoying, trying to be a creepy "playa." I just wanted to blow my head up and let chunks fly all over the theater whenever the older brother tried to eye some hot ass. Kill me! <_<

If this movie went on for another hour, I would have been fine. I guess I enjoyed it since it felt really short, but I didn't get enough dino action or theme park enjoyment. :p

I liked that the kids' last name was Mitchell, because my last name is Mitchell, and there aren't a lot of Mitchells in film. The only other one I can think of offhand is Lt. Pete Mitchell, of Top Gun fame.

But my favorite part was when

the kids stumbled on the Jurassic Park Motor Pool and got the Jeep running. When Gray said "1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Sand Beige." I lost it. "This kid's just as big a fan as me!" It was also a nice touch that the Jeeps were the actual Jeeps from the first film.

Of course there's no way in hell they would have been able to get that thing running. Even if they could find a battery that wasn't totally depleted, 25 year old gasoline will not run a car. To say nothing of oil, coolant, brake fluid (which is hydroscopic and acidic) or all the rubber which would have rotted away in a tropical climate for a generation. Also, and this was probably the biggest kicker for me, no way a 16 year old American boy from a family in Wisconsin who owned a minivan would know how to drive stick.

... no way a 16 year old American boy from a family in Wisconsin who owned a minivan would know how to drive stick.

He's probably spent his whole life playing Forza and Gran Turismo. All that PSLive practice payed off. Edited by JB0

I liked that the kids' last name was Mitchell, because my last name is Mitchell, and there aren't a lot of Mitchells in film. The only other one I can think of offhand is Lt. Pete Mitchell, of Top Gun fame.

But my favorite part was when

the kids stumbled on the Jurassic Park Motor Pool and got the Jeep running. When Gray said "1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Sand Beige." I lost it. "This kid's just as big a fan as me!" It was also a nice touch that the Jeeps were the actual Jeeps from the first film.

Of course there's no way in hell they would have been able to get that thing running. Even if they could find a battery that wasn't totally depleted, 25 year old gasoline will not run a car. To say nothing of oil, coolant, brake fluid (which is hydroscopic and acidic) or all the rubber which would have rotted away in a tropical climate for a generation. Also, and this was probably the biggest kicker for me, no way a 16 year old American boy from a family in Wisconsin who owned a minivan would know how to drive stick.

If you listened closely the jeeps were knocking and sounded like crap when they first left. It's definitely possible for them to run, they just wouldn't run very long. I witnessed a 30 year old car, that sat around, started without changing the oil. it ran, and drove, but it knocked and needed an engine pretty soon after ward. I'd imagine I take the risk if it meant getting away from revengasaur.

If you listened closely the jeeps were knocking and sounded like crap when they first left. It's definitely possible for them to run, they just wouldn't run very long. I witnessed a 30 year old car, that sat around, started without changing the oil. it ran, and drove, but it knocked and needed an engine pretty soon after ward. I'd imagine I take the risk if it meant getting away from revengasaur.

They sounded roughly like I'd expect a Jeep 4.0 of that vintage to sound. I would believe it if I was told they recorded the actual engine noise for that scene- those Jeeps were the same ones from the original film, which had sat in storage at Universal since 1992. As far as oil, a 4.0 could probably run on 25 year old sludge, and the rest would probably hold together well enough to be usable, but the gasoline would have been practically incombustible after all that time. Not to mention the batteries would have been entirely useless. It's possible they could have pop-started the Jeep with a good enough run-up- they were manual, and YJs have self-exciting alternators- but the scene doesn't show that. I'd also imagine 25 year old tires sitting in a tropical jungle would have rotted away, or at least leaked out completely.

I love that scene, don't get me wrong, but the auto technician in me says it wouldn't have worked.

I also noticed, in the scene where Claire and Owen find the garage, every single auto part on display there was irrelevant to the vehicles of the Jurassic Park motor pool. From the round air cleaners on the shelf (90+ YJs use a square filter) to what appeared to be a small block V8 sitting on an engine stand (even if it wasn't out of a Jeep, the Explorer tour vehicles were V6 powered and again did not use a round air cleaner, which was seen on top of the engine) just nothing fit in. For that matter, the battery pulled from #29 was a Kawasaki battery. That Jeep should have still had its Mopar battery. It also didn't appear to be the correct group size, but it's tough to tell. I also have concerns regarding the intactness of the battery terminals. They should have been corroded to all hell.

I'm overanalyzing, though. It mostly comes from how thoroughly I've researched the Jurassic Park YJs, and the fact that I'm a Jeep guy anyway.

I also noticed, in the scene where Claire and Owen find the garage, every single auto part on display there was irrelevant to the vehicles of the Jurassic Park motor pool. ... the Explorer tour vehicles were V6 powered ...

I think the Explorers were converted to run on electric power from the tour track. I know they were in the book.

Not that this really helps the matter at all, but...

I think the Explorers were converted to run on electric power from the tour track. I know they were in the book.

Not that this really helps the matter at all, but...

They were, which would explain why a V engine would be sitting in the motor pool (having been removed from a tour vehicle), if it matched that of the Explorer. Only, having a round air cleaner and what looked like 8 runners on a carbureted manifold means it couldn't have been an engine from one of the tour vehicles. In 1992, the only engine option for the Ford Explorer was the 4.0l OHV V6, which used a box filter and had multiport injection. (The movie tour vehicles were 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 2WDs with their gas V6s replaced by a rail-powered electric motor setup and BF Goodrich TA/KO All-Terrain tires in place of stock Michelins; the novel tour vehicles of course were 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80s with their engines replaced by a similar electric setup)

Notably, the Explorer tour vehicles retained the use of dedicated vehicle batteries to run the vehicle electrical systems, presumably as a backup in case the power went out, or if a vehicle left the rails for some reason. It would keep the cabin monitoring systems running, though a program error was causing the tour vehicle headlights to run on the vehicle batteries, rather than the park electrical system. It is implied that the vehicle batteries did not charge on the power feed from the park.

Though I'm starting to feel like this discussion has wandered a bit now.

I actually remembered the book used a different vehicle for the tour car than the movie. A rare case of me omitting a detail for the sake of simplicity.

They were, which would explain why a V engine would be sitting in the motor pool (having been removed from a tour vehicle), if it matched that of the Explorer. Only, having a round air cleaner and what looked like 8 runners on a carbureted manifold means it couldn't have been an engine from one of the tour vehicles.

I'd think that'd be a hard sell, really. Why would they keep the useless engine around after completely reworking the vehicle?

Though I'm starting to feel like this discussion has wandered a bit now.

It's off-track and running on batteries now?

I actually remembered the book used a different vehicle for the tour car than the movie. A rare case of me omitting a detail for the sake of simplicity.

I'd think that'd be a hard sell, really. Why would they keep the useless engine around after completely reworking the vehicle?

It's off-track and running on batteries now?

It's implied that the on-screen tour vehicles have only recently been built. It's stated that this is the first actual full tour any of the vehicles have taken. For that matter, we only see EXP04 and EXP05 in the film, though EXP06 and EXP07 are visible as being queued up next on the control room display. In the novel, there are 24 tour vehicles, though the novel version of the park is actually much farther along in construction than the movie version. With that in mind, it's possible the engine is from EXP08 or a later model which was in the process of conversion. Mind you, after the Isla Nublar Incident, park operations were abandoned immediately. Only top-level asset recovery was pursued by InGen itself, with everything else just left to rot.

With all that in mind, I can see it- if the prop used matched the vehicles.

Watched it.

My review:

1.Wish someone had the balls to make it R—rated.

2.It's amazing that the female lead kept her high heels on during the entire movie...gout?

3.Don't.Make.Another.One.....DON'T....it gave me a headache.

Well, I've seen it too. It's better than I expected, but really suffers from a lack of focus. Several major plot threads scattered about unrelated to each other, and it feels like parts were left hanging.

Then again, if you've ever worked at been to a theme park, you know that the staff are pretty inept, so at least it's not horribly inaccurate.

Fixed (with apologies to anyone who's ever worked at a theme park).

This carton has me thinking the sequel will be titled...

Jurassic World War!

I'm half-serious on this.

http://www.theinkabyss.com/jurassic-world/

There's no where left to go with just Dinosaurs... I suggest to you the next logical place to go is:

JURASSIC WORLD WAR Z!

Zombie velociraptors! That'll make you poop yourself a little bit.

Edited by jenius

There's also the fact everyone in this movie is pretty much a complete idiot who make some of the dumbest decisions ever.

There is that. Gotta say, whoever got the bright idea to make a fifty-foot chameleon velociraptor was NOT thinking things through.

Also: Needs more T. Rex.

Ya know, I was thinking (while listening to the original Jurassic Park soundtrack), and in many ways the Jurassic World film parallels the Jurassic World park. Both of them are living in the shadow of their predecessor, urged on to ever-larger shenanigans in an attempt to be relevant twenty years after something amazing was done.

Certainly, the SCALE of the problem is different, but...
The characters in the film say just having dinosaurs isn't enough anymore, and that's equally true for the scriptwriters in the real world.

Jurassic Park struck such a strong chord in large part because it showed us dinosaurs as we'd only dreamed them before. Not stop-motion puppets, men in rubber suits with exposed zippers, or upsized iguanas, but as fluidly-moving creatures with a sense of scale and mass, interacting directly with real live humans in all their insufferably tantalizing verisimilitude. I think most of us felt a little like Dr. Grant in that first scene with the brachiosaurus.

But it's darn near impossible to recapture that magic and unleash it at will. Thus you get things like Jurassic Park 3's spinosaurus and Jurassic World's Indominus Rex, upping the spectacle for a world that just isn't impressed by a T. Rex running through the forest anymore. I do not envy anyone the task of following that up, and while the challenge is not the ONLY reason they've largely failed at that follow-up, it hasn't exactly helped matters.

I agree with you JBO.

We've learnt alot about Dinosaurs through documentries since Jurassic Park.

That's why outrunning a T.Rex in high heels just ain't gonna cut it.

So, the part I want to know is, why are all the dinosaurs constantly hungry? That's been something that's bugged me for a long time, dating back to the original movie. I mean, the T-Rex eats a whole goat, a lawyer, at least one galimimus, and is still hungry enough at the end of it all to try and eat 2 raptors. And the raptors. They can't weigh much more than 200lbs each, and between the three of them they eviscerated a whole cow. If I ate a third of a cow I'd be full for a week.

At least they address that bit in Jurassic World, stating the I Rex is killing for sport.

I dunno, it seems to me a lot of Jurassic problems could be managed better by keeping the dinosaurs fed. It's not like these are an endangered species with a breeding program to try and save them, so wildlife conditions have to be simulated. They're extinct. They can't reproduce. (Assuming they re-engineered the sex-change genes at some point, which seems likely enough) There's no need to have starve days or anything like that. Just keep the damn things fed so they don't try and eat everything they see. Sheesh.

Jurassic World is less a parable about controlling nature and how that's bound to fail, and more a story about corporate ineptitude.

Ya know, I was thinking (while listening to the original Jurassic Park soundtrack), and in many ways the Jurassic World film parallels the Jurassic World park. Both of them are living in the shadow of their predecessor, urged on to ever-larger shenanigans in an attempt to be relevant twenty years after something amazing was done.

Certainly, the SCALE of the problem is different, but...

The characters in the film say just having dinosaurs isn't enough anymore, and that's equally true for the scriptwriters in the real world.

Jurassic Park struck such a strong chord in large part because it showed us dinosaurs as we'd only dreamed them before. Not stop-motion puppets, men in rubber suits with exposed zippers, or upsized iguanas, but as fluidly-moving creatures with a sense of scale and mass, interacting directly with real live humans in all their insufferably tantalizing verisimilitude. I think most of us felt a little like Dr. Grant in that first scene with the brachiosaurus.

But it's darn near impossible to recapture that magic and unleash it at will. Thus you get things like Jurassic Park 3's spinosaurus and Jurassic World's Indominus Rex, upping the spectacle for a world that just isn't impressed by a T. Rex running through the forest anymore. I do not envy anyone the task of following that up, and while the challenge is not the ONLY reason they've largely failed at that follow-up, it hasn't exactly helped matters.

Theme parks seem to be stuck in the bigger-and-more-of-it dilemma, but we've seen directors like Matt Reeves (Cloverfield) or Gareth Edwards (Monsters) re-inventing genre movie recently. Maybe the Next Dinosaur works better on a smaller scale.

So, the part I want to know is, why are all the dinosaurs constantly hungry? That's been something that's bugged me for a long time, dating back to the original movie. I mean, the T-Rex eats a whole goat, a lawyer, at least one galimimus, and is still hungry enough at the end of it all to try and eat 2 raptors. And the raptors. They can't weigh much more than 200lbs each, and between the three of them they eviscerated a whole cow. If I ate a third of a cow I'd be full for a week.

At least they address that bit in Jurassic World, stating the I Rex is killing for sport.

I dunno, it seems to me a lot of Jurassic problems could be managed better by keeping the dinosaurs fed. It's not like these are an endangered species with a breeding program to try and save them, so wildlife conditions have to be simulated. They're extinct. They can't reproduce. (Assuming they re-engineered the sex-change genes at some point, which seems likely enough) There's no need to have starve days or anything like that. Just keep the damn things fed so they don't try and eat everything they see. Sheesh.

Jurassic World is less a parable about controlling nature and how that's bound to fail, and more a story about corporate ineptitude.

The hunger thing is horror movie cliche. Jaws doesn't take a break. Xenomorphs don't take a break. When you're playing on the innate human fear of being eaten the baddies need to be very hungry.

I was actually wondering that in Jurassic World. Mostly the aerial attack sequence. Both where they stashed that infinite outpouring of creatures in the finitely-sized aviary and why the pterodactyls and dimorphodons hadn't long since killed each other off.

Edited by JB0

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw this on demand, OK but cliched.

The instant the fish dino jumped up and ate the shark I knew how it would end. Not a good sign.

Then the jeep starts right up after 20 years in storage - not likely.

They have tracking devices on the dino but don't check it BEFORE going into the pen...

Training Raptors as military weapons, I've seen dumber things, but to have the guy think they are "ready" when it is obvious the handler has limited control over them at best...

I was laughing at quite a few of the dramatic bits since they were so silly, the helicopter bit for instance.