I heard the movie didn't succeed. Sorry to hear that.
Well, Sengakuji Temple where the 47 samurais rest in peace is not far from my apartment.

I take it you've not seen many jidaigeki films.

Even Japanese young people tend not to watch jidaigeki, but they know Chuushingura and Ikedaya Jiken more or less.

I must be dumb. I saw this last weekend and thought it was fun enough. I went online afterwards and read the real story, and can see why people would be turned off by the embellishments. I liked 300, and this seems cut from a similar cloth.

I'm fully willing to accept that it's a bad samurai movie, though. Unfortunately, it's the first samurai movie I've seen, so I'm real curious now to watch some of the 'classics'.

• 6 months later...

Kicking a dead thread but I just watched this and thought it was awful. I wasn't familiar with the source material and I hoped that would help but man... not good. Then I read the original story (which I think would have pretty limited appeal to Western audiences) and it made me like the movie even less. Oh well, better luck next movie.

Kicking a dead thread but I just watched this and thought it was awful. I wasn't familiar with the source material and I hoped that would help but man... not good. Then I read the original story (which I think would have pretty limited appeal to Western audiences) and it made me like the movie even less. Oh well, better luck next movie.

Not even worth downloading.

I saw this a while back on Bluray and liked it, I won't watch it again but it was not the stinker everyone makes it out to be. Then again I have no investment in seeing 47 Ronin done "right". This one made no bones about it being inspired by the real story and not any kind of retelling. I can see someone being upset about it ruining a chance to make a faithful adaptation - like I feel about that dreadful Starship Troopers movie.

• 6 months later...

I finally saw this film and I have to say... not sure why everybody hated on it so hard.

It's easily as good as any marvel film, if not better than a few. From all the bad press I expected a terrible murky mess, but I actually enjoyed every moment. It was a little slow, but the story was well told and the visuals were so rich I didn't mind at all.

Very underrated.

I think it's also a bit hypocritical for people to criticize the bastardization of an old Japanese story for the purposes of Hollywood. Anime itself rehashes and bastardizes old ideas from Japanese culture and uses it for it's own end.

I can see the point that Keanu wasn't need as a mongrel halfbreed, but at the same time it added another level to the love story that wouldn't have been there.

I think it's also a bit hypocritical for people to criticize the bastardization of an old Japanese story for the purposes of Hollywood. Anime itself rehashes and bastardizes old ideas from Japanese culture and uses it for it's own end.

I can see the point that Keanu wasn't need as a mongrel halfbreed, but at the same time it added another level to the love story that wouldn't have been there.

I think you're getting Chushingura and Macross mixed up, lol! The history of the 47 ronin is NOT a love story.