Queadluun Rau's cockpit

Mervin

Sorry about reviving it :lol: I couldn't find a discussion in the forum about this. Could you point me to one ? I guess no reference pics are available out there.

I will be working on my plastic 1/144 Rau with a full Millia pilot.

Mervin

It seems that a lot of us concluded that millias leg would go on the legs of the Q-Rau just like the male's suit.

My question are

- How can she place her legs in such a tight space when the suit is "sitting"?

(may be the pilots places him/her-self in and waits for the suit to stand up?)

-Has anyone imagine how hot her arm pits must get when she loads a heavy round of blast form the front cannons?

-Man...where do you go potty!??

-Has anyone imagine how hot her arm pits must get when she loads a heavy round of blast form the front cannons?

Good insulation?

-Man...where do you go potty!??

Overtech: We can make a 60-foot tall suit of powered armor for a 40-foot woman to drive, but you'll still have to hold it.

Just a note, but the picture of the open cockpit and the image of the pilot in the cockpit are of the two different versions of the Q-Rau. The open image is of the SDF Macross version while the pilot image is of the DYRL version.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but who knows...

I thought the two versions were identical save for the color scheme.

There are suttle changes in the designs:

Head

Antenna

Feet / Legs / Knees

"Skirt Armor"

I have no proof, but I think that the whole of the body's proportions are different (DYRL has a smaller torso / backpack).

And then there are the markings, but those could be different from squad to squad.

post-2-1071464255_thumb.jpg

:p  I knew she was a true commando.....but this is getting ridiculous.  :p

With threads like these, we get to learn how a Meltrandi ace private, um..... secures her privates. :D

Care to do a couple of pics on how that might be accomphised? ^_^

I'd love to but it will be at a later time. :)

Nope, the pilot's legs do not go into the Q-Rau's thighs.

The pilot's legs actually fit ito the lower rear back part.

Graham

I hate to say it Graham, but I think you're wrong.

Notice the positioning of the cockpit, especially the "hole" which the pilot's lower body goes into. It's clear that it is in a vertical orientation with the rest of the Q-Rau.

Now, look at the side view of the Q-Rau, also taken from Perfect Memory, one of which I've illustrated how the pilot is positioned, and one of which with the pilot's legs in the backback. It simply doesn't match up: 1) How the cockpit is illustrated already, the hole for the lower half of the body clearly goes straight down, not into the backpack, and 2) the Meltrandi pilots would have to be extremely flexible to get their legs into that backback!

The problem with the legs going into the backpack is that it is simply mounted too high for that to be a feasible option.

post-2-1071494710_thumb.jpg

Graham

That's the way the Yellow Sub resin model "solved" the problem. It is the best solution for a rigid (resin) pilot since it would be difficult to accomodate a model pilot in other way (Bandai just cut the legs of the pilot !!) But I think that the art work in the Gold Book doesn't shows the pilot leaning forward as it would the case with fitting the legs in the rear back part. The art work seems to indicate that the pilot's legs go into the thighs.

BUT: this remark coming from you could indicate that Yamato has chosen the Yellow sub solution for the pilot legs of their 1/60 QR :ph34r::ph34r: !!!! And that would make it official!! (finally we would have an answer to this old question, like it or not) Any comments?

In any case, thanks Graham!!

ys144queadi2.jpg

Seems like the White Drew Carey posted as the same time as I did :D

WDC: you ilustrated the point clearly. Yellow sub solved this by making the back pack closer to the main body. But since it is Graham who posted that I beleive that is an indication of how Yamato would fit the pilot figure...

A pilot toy would have to have flexible legs to fit her/his (Max ;) ) into the tighs and it would be quite tricky to fit the pilot into the QR toy (I was making some experiments with a Bandai QR and the pilot would have to adopt an spread eagle position to put her legs into the tighs... )

PS: this is one of my favorites debates in MW. It comes to light every three or four months toghether with the VEFR-1 debate (other favorite!! )

EDIT: added YS comment

Edited by Gerwalker

Graham

I hate to say it Graham, but I think you're wrong.

Notice the positioning of the cockpit, especially the "hole" which the pilot's lower body goes into. It's clear that it is in a vertical orientation with the rest of the Q-Rau.

1) How the cockpit is illustrated already, the hole for the lower half of the body clearly goes straight down, not into the backpack, and 2) the Meltrandi pilots would have to be extremely flexible to get their legs into that backback!

May be "he knows something you don't know..." ?? :huh:

Didn't know this thread would spread like wildfire :lol:

So cannonically, based on the lineart, the pilot would have their legs in the QRau's thighs ? But to make it feasible as a toy or model, the pilot's legs are inside the backpack. Am I right with this conclusion ?

Mervin

Didn't know this thread would spread like wildfire :lol:

So cannonically, based on the lineart, the pilot would have their legs in the QRau's thighs ? But to make it feasible as a toy or model, the pilot's legs are inside the backpack. Am I right with this conclusion ?

Mervin

That's exactly what I think. Graham could confirm or denied this. Pleassssse GRAHAAAAM!!!!!!

BTW: We used to have a meltran member that had another theory: there is a saddle-like seat in the QR and the pilot is seated on it but her legs a bent as if she were on her knees (more ore less like a motorbike racer) The line art from the gold book (the one showing the pilot into the QR) contradicts her theory since the pilot legs seems to be straight (and, IMHO, into the tighs)

See, I told you this was an ongoing debate...

I'd go with the saddled theory simply because in the Q'Raus seated position, the Meltran's leg would have to bend backwards or her hib bone would get ripped from its socket. I mean it's nice to think they are flexible, but not freakishly. The Gold book image gets cut off at the knee so you can't tell if it's bent of not.

qrau7.jpg

qrau6.jpg

How I've always thought was that the Meltran hips were at the Q-Rau hips, and the Meltran knees were at the Q-Rau knees - that's why the knees on the Q-Rau are so freakishly high up on the leg. Depending on how it was drawn, that should allow normal movement of the Meltran limbs. Just like she was wearing stilts.

I was disappointed to learn that the arm are kept inside the pilot area and not into the arms - proportions appear to allow the arm use as well, just like the legs.

Since Q-Raus only need to sit for stowage, I don't see a need for the pilot to be able to fit completely inside while sitting. How about this solution: the pilot's seat extends upward when the Q-Rau is in the sitting position, then retracts after the pilot gets in and turns the key. At the same time, the Q-Rau stands up.

Only problem is, the leg mobility would be limited while flying.

How I've always thought was that the Meltran hips were at the Q-Rau hips, and the Meltran knees were at the Q-Rau knees - that's why the knees on the Q-Rau are so freakishly high up on the leg. Depending on how it was drawn, that should allow normal movement of the Meltran limbs. Just like she was wearing stilts.

That's what I've always thought...

I think it would be too dangerous if the arms of the pilots were in the Q-Raus arms.

Arms tends to be destroyed/amputated easily. You know what i mean.

Also, it would be hard to click on buttons, and, the number of buttons would be really smaller.

While, in the main cockpit where there is more space, pilot has access to more "visual" fonctions.

For the legs I think it would be very unconfortable to put legs inside the backpack. Try to be in that position for more than 30 seconds, you'll get the idea. The back is completely folded. It's not a natural position. Also for the neck, pilot would have to bend her neck completely to have her head vertical. What do you think?

For the legs I think it would be very unconfortable to put legs inside the backpack. Try to be in that position for more than 30 seconds, you'll get the idea. The back is completely folded. It's not a natural position. Also for the neck, pilot would have to bend her neck completely to have her head vertical. What do you think?

I think that comfort isn't a priority in an anime's power armor / weapon in general :p

You know how they REALLY work?

The bottom of the cockpit has a dimensional rift in it. The pilot's legs actually extend down into a special room on the vehicle's mothership full of holes in the ceiling connected to Q-Rau cockpits that have lots of zentradi legs sticking down during combat.

I have had a chance to closely examine Yamato's Q-Rau, although only the mecha, not the pilot figure, which wasn't ready at the time.

Based on the Yamato toy, there is no way that the pilots legs could fit into the mecha's thighs. However, it does appear as if they fit into the back section of the mecha.

Graham