World’s biggest Minmay fan?

Roy Focker

Minmei's a teenager after all.

and a real Cutie Pie♥ at that.

a rather singularly conceited cutie pie, mind you, but nobody's perfect, i guess...

544088_584435338233467_49551646_n.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

and a real Cutie Pie♥ at that.

a rather singularly conceited cutie pie, mind you, but nobody's perfect, i guess...

I've honestly never understood that line of thinking...

She's working on her career. Hikaru has nothing to offer her in that regard. Moreover, she thinks he's a nice guy, but she's not in love with him...never has been, never will be.

And yet, everyone seems to think she's stuck up because she refuses to abandon her career for a guy she doesn't love.

Again, I don't get it.

She's working on her career. Hikaru has nothing to offer her in that regard. Moreover, she thinks he's a nice guy, but she's not in love with him...never has been, never will be.

And yet, everyone seems to think she's stuck up because she refuses to abandon her career for a guy she doesn't love.

Again, I don't get it.

Shhh! If you resolve the conflict in their heads then people won't appreciate it as much. It's Macross's complex story telling that strikes that part in our heads, especially as kids, where we appreciate it for treating us like adults but at the same time makes us pull for things the way we want it to be, even though the results can be incredibly cliché. People identify with rejection but still don't like the idea of it.

Shhh! If you resolve the conflict in their heads then people won't appreciate it as much. It's Macross's complex story telling that strikes that part in our heads, especially as kids, where we appreciate it for treating us like adults but at the same time makes us pull for things the way we want it to be, even though the results can be incredibly cliché. People identify with rejection but still don't like the idea of it.

Well, shoot, I don't like rejection, either, but if I'm holding back some rocket-n-brain scientist (or, y'know, pop singer) from doin' her thing, I won't whine and moan about it (not that I speak from experience or anything, of course).

Again, I don't get it.

Hold on...

Minmei is selfish. The time they got trapped in an inaccessible part of the Macross, she thought it would be a good idea if her and Hikaru go and commit suicide by going out in space AND called him a coward. Why together? She didn't wanna die alone. She then was about to kiss him, until the missile fell through. Her attitude then changed and she continued to keep calling Hikaru "a friend" from that point on.

When Minmei was hospitalised, she straight-up told Hikaru that he should visit her because she visited him when he was hospitalised.

Minmei only got close to Hikaru when things weren't going well for her. When she had the final falling out with Kaifun, she went to Hikaru's place and tried to change his lifestyle to cater to the lifestyle she THOUGHT she wanted.

Minmei doesn't love Hikaru? Really?! How many "friends" have you kissed so passionately? They kissed twice: before Space War I and on Christmas, when she also made Christmas dinner. In Japan, a kiss is a big deal and not thrown around as much as other cultures like the United States do. It's a sign of love. And XMas is a day for couples. So, maybe this is a cultural difference...but thinking about it in a Japanese way, Minmei did love Hikaru.

I don't think Minmei is stuck up. She's just selfish, childish, and only leads Hikaru on.

Hold on...

Minmei is selfish. The time they got trapped in an inaccessible part of the Macross, she thought it would be a good idea if her and Hikaru go and commit suicide by going out in space AND called him a coward. Why together? She didn't wanna die alone. She then was about to kiss him, until the missile fell through. Her attitude then changed and she continued to keep calling Hikaru "a friend" from that point on.

When Minmei was hospitalised, she straight-up told Hikaru that he should visit her because she visited him when he was hospitalised.

Minmei only got close to Hikaru when things weren't going well for her. When she had the final falling out with Kaifun, she went to Hikaru's place and tried to change his lifestyle to cater to the lifestyle she THOUGHT she wanted.

Minmei doesn't love Hikaru? Really?! How many "friends" have you kissed so passionately? They kissed twice: before Space War I and on Christmas, when she also made Christmas dinner. In Japan, a kiss is a big deal and not thrown around as much as other cultures like the United States do. It's a sign of love. And XMas is a day for couples. So, maybe this is a cultural difference...but thinking about it in a Japanese way, Minmei did love Hikaru.

I don't think Minmei is stuck up. She's just selfish, childish, and only leads Hikaru on.

I don't think she leads Hikaru on. Yes, in Episode 4, she went a bit crazy... who wouldn't? After that, she was very clear. During the Miss Macross contest she said, "I have a lot of friends," and she never contradicted that.

After Ep. 4, where did she lead Hikaru on....?

The kiss before Space War I?

Hmm...I may have contradicted myself earlier. I said that she loved him and I also said that she led him on. But I guess if Minmei loved him, it really wouldn't be leading him on.

I stand corrected... -_-

OK...Minmei is still selfish and childish, though. :D

Hmm...I may have contradicted myself earlier. I said that she loved him and I also said that she led him on. But I guess if Minmei loved him, it really wouldn't be leading him on.

I stand corrected... -_-

Well... I don't know about childISH... she was after all just a kid. :p I really don't see a problem with how it went down with either of them in the series. It wasn't until I started reading stuff on the internet that I realized all the Minmay hate or anger, but at the end she got hers and even back then, I didn't feel like saying "take that, minmay!" They were just crossing paths on to different journeys. And years later I learn the lyrics to Runner and I find out that there was truth to that as far as the story goes.

I stand corrected... -_-

I don't think she loved him, and I don't think she ever led him on.

Yes, he kissed her in Ep. 27... right AFTER she said, "I guess I like Kaifun" and also right AFTER the world got destroyed.

And, er, how could Hikaru help her career...?

I don't think she loved him, and I don't think she ever led him on.

Yes, he kissed her in Ep. 27... right AFTER she said, "I guess I like Kaifun" and also right AFTER the world got destroyed.

And, er, how could Hikaru help her career...

Depends on what you consider "love"

So, that makes her a two-timer. :)

You're saying that she should only be in love with people who help her career?

I'm not trying to bash Minmei...she's my 2nd favorite female character after Miria.

Edited by Cdisdope

Depends on what you consider "love"

So, that makes her a two-timer. :)

You're saying that she should only be in love with people who help her career?

No, I'm just saying he had nothing to offer her AND she wasn't interested in him "that way." So she wasn't leading him on... it was all in his fantasies and imagination.

I call B.S., women know when a guy is interested, and when they know they're not interested in return, that's leading on!

We're talking about a sixteen-year-old girl, though. And most of Hikaru's mooning about happened when Minmay was off-screen. After Episode 9, they barely ever saw each other, after all.

Minmay thought she had a good thing and didnt realize what she had before it was gone,she took the relationship for granted and when she stopped being the reckless girl and looked at herself and wanted to be serious it was too late.

Misa had the right mind from the get go. ;)

Minmay thought she had a good thing and didnt realize what she had before it was gone,she took the relationship for granted and when she stopped being the reckless girl and looked at herself and wanted to be serious it was too late.

Totally. Because being a military wife is WAY better than being a massive pop star.

Wait...what?

Again, I don't get it.

it's the self-centered, superficial demeanor she continuously conveys in the latter eps of SDFM that burns everybody's biscuits, i believe.

it's only quite realistic, however, and pretty much exactly what ends up happening with most musicians,

especially at star level it just goes with the territory, pretty much, like an egocentric lead-guitar/vocalist of a rock band, for one example.

granted not everyone out there in show business turns out that way as a strict matter of course, just most of them.

like i said, SDFM was only being brutally realistic...

Edited by Shaorin

it's the self-centered, superficial demeanor she continuously conveys in the latter eps of SDFM that burns everybody's biscuits, i believe.

Well, if we're talking about the post-war arc, it's a different story.

Hikaru hasn't seen Minmay for nearly two years... Misa is coming to his house and cleaning it up every week. Does he thank her? No.

Out of the blue, Minmay has some time off and calls him. Getting together with an old friend. No big deal.

Hikaru LIES to her about his plans in order to meet her. She has no idea that Hikaru and Misa are anything to each other.

Kaifun shows up and ruins the day. Hikaru, instead of rushing back to Misa, stays at the bar and gets drunk.

Again, Minmay has NO IDEA that Hikaru is even somewhat involved with anyone, because he deliberately hid it from her.

She gets dumped by Kaifun and visits Hikaru, because she figures he still likes her, and he never showed an interest in anybody else. Hikaru greets her warmly, and invites her to stay with him.

I don't see how any of this is Minmay being "selfish." It's just Hikaru being a jerk who can't let bygones be bygones.

Out of the blue, Minmay has some time off and calls him. Getting together with an old friend. No big deal.

Hikaru LIES to her about his plans in order to meet her. She has no idea that Hikaru and Misa are anything to each other.

Thank you. We have been getting way to much of the "Blame the girl" around here.

Minmay "Leading on" (while not even physically present, and not knowing he is dating anyone) vs Hikaru straight up going out with Misa and sneaking around with Minmay.

Same old story: Everything is automatically the girl's fault, because dudes can evidently do no wrong in a relationship.

"Leading on": Also known as she didn't automatically put out as soon as some dude expressed minor interest.

Hikaru seeing two girls at once isn't "Leading on", because he is a guy.

Welcome to the world today:

Girl unsure about who she wants to date: Self centered conniving bitch.

Guy unsure about who he wants to date, so he dates both and lies about it: One of those women were leading him on! How dare they use feminine wiles on him!

Edited by Kaldar5

Thank you. We have been getting way to much of the "Blame the girl" around here.

Minmay "Leading on" (while not even physically present, and not knowing he is dating anyone) vs Hikaru straight up going out with Misa and sneaking around with Minmay.

Same old story: Everything is automatically the girl's fault, because dudes can evidently do no wrong in a relationship.

"Leading on": Also known as she didn't automatically put out as soon as some dude expressed minor interest.

Hikaru seeing two girls at once isn't "Leading on", because he is a guy.

Welcome to the world today:

Girl unsure about who she wants to date: Self centered conniving bitch.

Guy unsure about who he wants to date, so he dates both and lies about it: One of those women were leading him on! How dare they use feminine wiles on him!

Thank you. I thought I was the only one. :D