Providing explanations

I get some of my post locked for some reason. I have no idea why. Alot of

other people get their post locked for some reason. They have no idea why.

Then they come here bitching and moaning about what happened. I was

wondering if the mods could just provide a one sentence explanation on why

a thread is locked before locking it. It would help guide the members on what

they are doing wrong. Also, it saves you guys the hassle of having to answer

these members questions individually. How about it? Thanks.

I think it would actually save mods some time if they did explain themselves a little bit more once and a while, so that the mistake wouldn't be repeated and less modding would be needed. They're not getting paid but they did volunteer for the job. Think about it... The time it takes to explain is probably less than the time to read this thread. Not trying to knock the job they do now, I think MW is a tight ship compared to other forums.

I think it would actually save mods some time if they did explain themselves a little bit more once and a while, so that the mistake wouldn't be repeated and less modding would be needed. They're not getting paid but they did volunteer for the job. Think about it... The time it takes to explain is probably less than the time to read this thread. Not trying to knock the job they do now, I think MW is a tight ship compared to other forums.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly.

The Macross FAQ works for some of the obvious threads being locked, but for

some of the not so obvious ones, we really are clueless why they are being shut down.

Or people could shut up with the bitching and move on with their "lives."

I think it would actually save mods some time if they did explain themselves a little bit more once and a while, so that the mistake wouldn't be repeated and less modding would be needed.  They're not getting paid but they did volunteer for the job.  Think about it...  The time it takes to explain is probably less than the time to read this thread. Not trying to knock the job they do now, I think MW is a tight ship compared to other forums.

Or people could shut up with the bitching and move on with their "lives."

Always the classy response, eh Max?

People might stop bitching and moaning if the mods gave them a better answer rather than just a swarmy comment and a lock or a link to the forum's rules. Don't forget that mods are here to serve the people and the forum, if they don't have the time or energy to explain their actions it might be better to find replacements who do.

I'm not trying to knock you guys, but the occasional comment like Max's there does nothing good for the forum and only reflects badly upon the moderators.

Haha. I knew the only mod that would have a problem with what I said was the one that does it all the time. If you read my post again it wasn't even offensive. I just thought Deadzone had a good point that I happen to agree with. Maybe you should take down this section all together so you wouldn't have to deal with it. But I didn't expect anything but a cheap shot from you, Max.

ive got a good question: back in August MW seemed a little "carefree" but now it seems like everything in MW has to be politically correct and not offending anyone, why cant people just say what they want to say without everybody jumping down their throat about it? (like it used to be) i know everybody cant be happy, but it just seems a little that this place might be turning into RT.com (from an outside standpoint-ish way) i mean, i still love MW, but why cant everybody on here just chill out a little?

ive got a good question: back in August MW seemed a little "carefree" but now it seems like everything in MW has to be politically correct and not offending anyone, why cant people just say what they want to say without everybody jumping down their throat about it? (like it used to be) i know everybody cant be happy, but it just seems a little that this place might be turning into RT.com (from an outside standpoint-ish way) i mean, i still love MW, but why cant everybody on here just chill out a little?

Edit:

Even with ' ;) ' at the end it's not proper.

Way back in the day the first mean Moderator (nice try Max) use to have the time to lecture everyone to death on why their post was moved or closed. Then we really started to grow and then there are alot of these people who just post to every thread in the world. We going through so much that do not always have time to tell everyone why this was closed, moved or deleted.

It will take a lot of time at keep posting,

"This is too slightly off topic for the forums at this time."

"This is more suited for a chat room."

"This place is called Macross World."

"We have a forum for topics like this."

"Look two pages down."

"We don't need a poll on such a topic."

"Maybe you can use a PM for this."

"Why you contact their actual customer service."

"Do you honestly need 5 topics asking people what you should by?"

"Interesting topic but we already have some like this with the same format and we are trying to clean up."

"I would ask a Doctor before asking us."

A bunch those short reasons do add up. Most of the time we repeating the same thing again and again. I will tell what is often a prime reason why I delete threads that often seem harmless is because we don't want it to turn into a circus. A lot of times we have people who are eager to thank Shawn for such a wonderfull message board and how it's so much better than 'blank' & 'blank'. At the same time some these people will start to say the mods are too strict. Things are 'so great' here because we are willing to get 'strict'.

For the first or for the last time the Moderators are not public servants to serve the Members. The Moderator here were created to maintain a well run message board and keep the members in line. Imagine Shawn is this nerdy little kid and we are his hired bullies who make sure all his little playmates don't do nothing to make him cry.

This is quite an emo post. :p

Edited by Abombz!!

Way back in the day the first mean Moderator (nice try Max) use to have the time to lecture everyone to death on why their post was moved or closed. Then we really started to grow and then there are alot of these people who just post to every thread in the world. We going through so much that do not always have time to tell everyone why this was closed, moved or deleted.

It will take a lot of time at keep posting,

"This is too slightly off topic for the forums at this time."

"This is more suited for a chat room."

"This place is called Macross World."

"We have a forum for topics like this."

"Look two pages down."

"We don't need a poll on such a topic."

"Maybe you can use a PM for this."

"Why you contact their actual customer service."

"Do you honestly need 5 topics asking people what you should by?"

"Interesting topic but we already have some like this with the same format and we are trying to clean up."

"I would ask a Doctor before asking us."

A bunch those short reasons do add up. Most of the time we repeating the same thing again and again. I will tell what is often a prime reason why I delete threads that often seem harmless is because we don't want it to turn into a circus. A lot of times we have people who are eager to thank Shawn for such a wonderfull message board and how it's so much better than 'blank' & 'blank'. At the same time some these people will start to say the mods are too strict. Things are 'so great' here because we are willing to get 'strict'.

For the first or for the last time the Moderators are not public servants to serve the Members. The Moderator here were created to maintain a well run message board and keep the members in line. Imagine Shawn is this nerdy little kid and we are his hired bullies who make sure all his little playmates don't do nothing to make him cry.

that's exactly what I said! :lol:

Haha. I knew the only mod that would have a problem with what I said was the one that does it all the time. If you read my post again it wasn't even offensive. I just thought Deadzone had a good point that I happen to agree with. Maybe you should take down this section all together so you wouldn't have to deal with it. But I didn't expect anything but a cheap shot from you, Max.

I don't have a problem with what you said and I think that it would work on a board that is more open for a variety of discussions. However, we have the rules clearly posted. Rules that we have had approved and edited by Shawn himself. As I've said before; Myself, along with the other moderators are pretty much sick of explaining why a thread is deleted, when we took the time to compose such a large list of rules/regulations.

But its all good because I love you EXO. :lol:

As I've said before; Myself, along with the other moderators are pretty much sick of explaining why a thread is deleted, when we took the time to compose such a large list of rules/regulations.

Maybe then, there should be term limitations on Modship . That way, noone would get sick of it. Just lay down some ground rules.

Member in good standing for X amount of time....

Never had a major beef or vendetta with another member....

Never had a major problem with a current mod, or Shawn or Graham...

Never been banned, and/or had access taken away and re-granted...

If all of these are met,

Nominated for Modship for one or two years, then you step down, and someone else is chosen...

This is quite an emo post. :p

it was kinda meant to be, trying to get the main point across.

Maybe then, there should be term limitations on Modship .  That way, noone would get sick of it.  Just lay down some ground rules.

Perhaps.

I was a good member for a year. Well, as good as the population at the time required.

I think most of the main participants of this forum have had their beefs. The only real issue I've ever had was with a member that some of the other old timers may remember - sfer1. But that was over blatant stupidity(his justification of charging $3,000 for a 1/55 Millia)

I had somewhat of a major problem with Roy Focker right before I was made a moderator. I think that conflict to a certain degree is conducive to an environment based on discussion. Members that feel passionate about certain issues may lash out occasionally, but that's just because they're passionate. We're passionate about Macross, but our passions can be infinitely different than another member's, this can lead to some bad blood between members. As long as they're mature enough to realize that in the grande scheme of things it is a minor issue. There are eight billion people on the planet, and we all know that not everyone agrees, but that is part of being human.

Another thing is that NOBODY EVER has problems with Shawn or Graham. They aren't the ones getting their hands dirty every day here. The passions of the members that I mentioned previously cause them to act irrationally, treating every post or thread that they create as if it were their only child. That's part of being a moderator; knowing when to go easy, when to be firm, and when to tell someone to shut up and move on. :) As a moderator, you don't make too many friends. I had an ample stock of cronies and comrades before I became a moderator, and now that number is a fraction(many of my 'board buddies' have taken off). Additionally, because of my experience on the board(and the other mods) we have been forced into a more authoritarian role. Since I am one of the more outspoken of us, I do take a lot of flak. For example - when we did the mass banning of the troublemakers, people complained and while I had little to do with the decision, I was blamed by many of the offending parties. There was a thread on VEX where some people gathered to vent their frustrations about me, some of them flat out lies. Amazing that all of that sprang because I was a moderator defending a decision that SHAWN made. Shawn is a really cool guy, he just likes his board run a certain way, and according to him; all of us moderators are doing a great job.

I've been banned before. I accidentally banned myself from the last board. :lol:

If all of these are met,

Nominated for Modship for one or two years, then you step down, and someone else is chosen...

But that's the problem; the new mods would have to be indoctrinated and taught how to run the board like Shawn wants it to be run. Shawn doesn't really have the time to explain to new mods how he wants things done, but this could be a good plan. Maybe have some temp mods or forum specific mods in addition to the current global moderators.

But its all good because I love you EXO. :lol:

Just for the record, my suggestion was just that, a suggestion. I've never been a mod and have no interest on being one, but I read the rules before and have always followed them for the most part, I just can't blame anyone else for not knowing it verbatim.

Actually there's no point to this post, I just wanted to quote Max for posterity. :p

But its all good because I love you EXO.  :lol:

Just for the record, my suggestion was just that, a suggestion. I've never been a mod and have no interest on being one, but I read the rules before and have always followed them for the most part, I just can't blame anyone else for not knowing it verbatim.

Actually there's no point to this post, I just wanted to quote Max for posterity. :p

Aw come here you!

*hugs*

Maybe then, there should be term limitations on Modship .  That way, noone would get sick of it.  Just lay down some ground rules.

Perhaps.

I was a good member for a year. Well, as good as the population at the time required.

I think most of the main participants of this forum have had their beefs. The only real issue I've ever had was with a member that some of the other old timers may remember - sfer1. But that was over blatant stupidity(his justification of charging $3,000 for a 1/55 Millia)

I had somewhat of a major problem with Roy Focker right before I was made a moderator. I think that conflict to a certain degree is conducive to an environment based on discussion. Members that feel passionate about certain issues may lash out occasionally, but that's just because they're passionate. We're passionate about Macross, but our passions can be infinitely different than another member's, this can lead to some bad blood between members. As long as they're mature enough to realize that in the grande scheme of things it is a minor issue. There are eight billion people on the planet, and we all know that not everyone agrees, but that is part of being human.

Another thing is that NOBODY EVER has problems with Shawn or Graham. They aren't the ones getting their hands dirty every day here. The passions of the members that I mentioned previously cause them to act irrationally, treating every post or thread that they create as if it were their only child. That's part of being a moderator; knowing when to go easy, when to be firm, and when to tell someone to shut up and move on. :) As a moderator, you don't make too many friends. I had an ample stock of cronies and comrades before I became a moderator, and now that number is a fraction(many of my 'board buddies' have taken off). Additionally, because of my experience on the board(and the other mods) we have been forced into a more authoritarian role. Since I am one of the more outspoken of us, I do take a lot of flak. For example - when we did the mass banning of the troublemakers, people complained and while I had little to do with the decision, I was blamed by many of the offending parties. There was a thread on VEX where some people gathered to vent their frustrations about me, some of them flat out lies. Amazing that all of that sprang because I was a moderator defending a decision that SHAWN made. Shawn is a really cool guy, he just likes his board run a certain way, and according to him; all of us moderators are doing a great job.

I've been banned before. I accidentally banned myself from the last board. :lol:

If all of these are met,

But that's the problem; the new mods would have to be indoctrinated and taught how to run the board like Shawn wants it to be run. Shawn doesn't really have the time to explain to new mods how he wants things done, but this could be a good plan. Maybe have some temp mods or forum specific mods in addition to the current global moderators.

Kewl Max, thanks for the input.

You didn't have to go line by line, those were only suggestions that popped into my head in the 30 seconds or so it took to make the post :lol: . They just seemed to be some basic "good" guidelines. Obviously, you wouldnt nominate a real tool who spent their time being a dick all over the forums, plus it would give some members who want to be mods some incentive to keep their noses clean.

As to the training of new mods, it would be better handled by the incumbent mod than by Shawn.

You could even to it on an OJT basis...

Mod X is coming to the end of his term, so he nominates Member X. (Shawn approves)

As a result, Mod X is required to show Member X the ropes.

Once Member X has reached the point where Shawn, the other Mods, and Mod X feel that Member X is ready, then Mod X steps down, and Member X is promoted.

At the end of Member X's term, he/she would choose someone else that was experienced, and known to be a decent all around forum member, and nominate that person.

That way, Shawn is not required to take any more of his time (he's barely here any more these days :( ) And the pressure is really only on Mod X to train, and Member X's ability to learn.

I think that's the thing we tend to forget; that no matter what kind of arguments we might have on the board fundamentally we're all Macross fans. I think sometimes bad blood comes up accidently, as a result of the heated discussions we have and it's important to remember that it's just a message board and we're here to be friendly and share a common passion; not piss each other off.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

um... you're talking to people that take apart their $130 toys or get markers to draw all over them. LOL!

true. :lol: i forgot about that. oh well. let me rephrase:

if it ain't broke don't fix it unless its aesthetically pleasing to do so.

Or... we could elect a committee that must then be ratified by the highest posting members who have never cheated on their taxes, then run that ratification past a group that we will called the "Secret Elders" who must then decide to grant the titles of "pseudo-mods" to those that pass muster, the "Secret Elders" will then grant these "pseudo-mods" each a specific number that will be based upon those born before June and those born after July, that number will processed and put through the "Mod Formula" to decide how many days they will serve as "Pseudo Mods" - a decision that must be approved by each and every member in triplicate, upon which...

Aw... f-ck it. Let's just leave it like it is.

Keep up the good work, moddies. :p

Or... we could elect a committee that must then be ratified by the highest posting members who have never cheated on their taxes, then run that ratification past a group that we will called the "Secret Elders" who must then decide to grant the titles of "pseudo-mods" to those that pass muster, the "Secret Elders" will then grant these "pseudo-mods" each a specific number that will be based upon those born before June and those born after July, that number will processed and put through the "Mod Formula" to decide how many days they will serve as "Pseudo Mods" - a decision that must be approved by each and every member in triplicate, upon which...

Aw... f-ck it. Let's just leave it like it is.

Keep up the good work, moddies. :p

I second that,,,,quit the bitchin and mind your P's and Q's, its generally well behaved here, by to popo's and the citizens