IXTL

Yeah ebay is always overpriced so I will never shop there and you can with a bit of google searching find that small japanese store that has one in inventory and not charging an arm and a leg.

I agree. I have stopped buying on eBay since it is almost always overprice. Once in a while you may be able to find one with a reasonable price. But you will have to look hard. I have had better luck using Google search to find smaller online store that is not well known.

So I finally received the Armor Parts for my VF-171CF. When transforming it back to Fighter-Mode I had a huge problem rotating the lower legs into Fighter-Mode position. The amount of force I need to get the internal locking mechanism to work feels like I'm gonna break the the rotation joint.

It was that way even with the unarmored version but the problem seems to have been magnified with the attachment of the armor. I was thinking that some part of the leg armor was in the way preventing the rotation but I couldn't spot anything.

Has anyone had the same problems and knows how to fix that. Even information on how likely it is to break the leg with continuous transformations would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance.

The MDEs and reaction warheads are comically huge for a fighter jet. ^_^

Yep, I had the same problem, I could get one leg locked up, but the second leg as hard as I pushed I couldn't get it locked up into the backplate. I even created some stress marks on the backplate (luckily its under the arms). I ended up lightly filing down the nubs on the peg sticking down to get it locked in - I figure I'm probably never transforming it back into a Battroid any time soon with those exploding black triangles. I believe MacrossJunkie also had this problem too.

Yes. I'm talking about the leg rotation. It's step three in the transformation process.

Fighter to Gerwalk

1. Detach legs from the backplate

2. Rotate legs downward

3. Rotate the lower legs about 90 degree around the center axis of the legs (problem occurs here)

4. Extending the legs

Rotating the legs scared me without the armor on but with it equipped it requires an amount of force that shouldn't be applied to something as fragile as a Bandai Valkyrie.

IIRC in Veefs review of Altos VF-171 he commented on this problem on his unit. I can check it after work and link it if someone is interested in knowing what I'm talking about.

Maybe I should remove the armor again and try rotating it again. If it goes easier this time maybe the armor is catching on to something. On the other hand I don't think I should transform or play with this transformable toy anymore since any fiddling likely leads to breakage. :unsure:

Are Scyla and wm talking about the same problem? To me it sounds like Scyla's issue is that the leg isn't rotation cleanly. The Leg not locking in fighter mode is a different problem (and not unique to the CF, my Alto had the same issue.)

When I get my RVF-171 in cannon fodder colours (whenever it gets released by Bandai) I won't even transform it to check for factory defects or missing parts, it will stay in fighter mode forever which is probably for the best.

I don't know about that. Altos VF-171 never had any of the problems the CF had. Maybe a new production run will result in a toy that can actually be handled again. The design is not bad nor the mold it is just bad material selection. Bandai has to know about the problems with the black plastic on the CF. They will change it with a new batch....

...why am I fooling myself? Bandai will never learn from past mistakes. The Renewals where the exception of the rule! :lol:

Did you rotated the little armor panel on the legs outwards. It is possible to peg the leg into position with the panel still resting on the leg but it is intended to be out of the way when snapping the legs to the backpack. Maybe this prevents the armored legs to reach the peg correctly.

I'm sorry this is probably not the case but I saw an image today where the panel was flipped against the leg in Fighter-Mode and I also missed to flip it outwards.

I did not, actually. However, it's never been in the way. If it was what was blocking the legs from going in, I'd have a bunch of scrapes on the clear coat from some forceful attempts. The trick for me is to align both legs and snap them in together. If I do one leg at a time, the other leg doesn't want to go in.

• 2 months later...

With all these black triangles snapping all over the place, is there anyone planning to do a shapeway part for this piece? Im sure there is a huge demand at least here. Where's EXO or VF5SS when we need em? :D

Or is the triangle too thin to be printed out?

I think Kurisama is planning to look into this issue. If you search through this thread you will probably find it.

Thanks! Been reading the thread but I guess I mustve missed it. Gonna get mine from a member by nxt week and it seems to me that the one Im getting has good triangles.

Would you suggest transforming it to check the the toy (Im the 2nd owner, but 1st owner never transformed it) or wait till the aftermarket parts are ready? Saw that some had them cracked on 1st transformation...which sounds scary

Negatory. I was, then couldn't dedicate time to it. Then I sold my VF-171s. Sorry :(

Ow snap. Guess Im gonna have to brave through the transformation...quick question, someone mentioned removing the piece before transfomation...but are the screws accessible from fighter mode and is there a guide for the removal? Is the removal easy-peasy or hardy-hard? Thanks!

Negatory. I was, then couldn't dedicate time to it. Then I sold my VF-171s. Sorry :(

Hey man, thanks for even considering it! I got rid of mine, too. After the 7th piece fell off I got sick of being frustrated with it and boxed it up and sold it.

As a disclaimer I don't want to be the reason for breaking any Valkyrie so please be cautious when doing these steps. Also keep in mind that all what I will write now comes from the back of my mind since I haven't handled this Valk for several month now.

The screws are not accessible from the outside but you don't need to.

However you have to detach the legs and swing back the wings because they lock the shoulder into position.

The first thing I would do then is to remove the small black filler triangles on the underside of the chest pieces (or at least loosen the screw a bit) because they can also break and on my copy the screw was so tight that I couldn't move the filler piece. My assumption is that that caused some of the breakage of the small triangles when people forced it to move. This screw is accessible from Fighter-Mode.

For the shoulders IIRC the pauldron consists of two assemblies. A dark teal piece that make up the major part of the pauldron and the black triangle pieces that is attached to the shoulder joint. The black part is hold via friction on the metal shoulder joint and the dark teal piece is also friction hold on the black pieces. So you can detach the shoulder area form the metal shoulder joint by simply pulling them away from the joint. Be careful and only pull straight away from the fuselage. Don't try to apply any rotational force to the assembly because that might lead to a broken triangle. This again is only my assumption but I guess the triangles break when you use them to rotate the arms into position. Due to the way the shoulder is assembled (see above) either the teal or the black piece will come off. Now you can access the screws and loosen them before reassembling it again.

Thanks! Been reading the thread but I guess I mustve missed it. Gonna get mine from a member by nxt week and it seems to me that the one Im getting has good triangles.

Would you suggest transforming it to check the the toy (Im the 2nd owner, but 1st owner never transformed it) or wait till the aftermarket parts are ready? Saw that some had them cracked on 1st transformation...which sounds scary

No need to be transformed for it to crack. That can happen at any time, even while on the shelf.

I want one without defects too but I absolutely loathe Alto's colours on a 'stealth' valk (which was the not the way they were used as in the series). I adore the CF colours but I can't justify to get one since I like to transform my valks and then this one will end up broken.

Edited by close313

I want one without defects too but I absolutely loathe Alto's colours on a 'stealth' valk (which was the not the way they were used as in the series). I adore the CF colours but I can't justify to get one since I like to transform my valks and then this one will end up broken.

Exactly. I wanted to get a stealth version, but with the alarming rate at which these defects are occurring, Im not sure Im ready to drop $150 a valk.

As another member put it, the "sport-shoe" Alto color does not appeal to me especially since its supposed to be a stealth valkyrie. (?). If they ever redo a custom color in black, that'd be perfect, with the exception they fix the brittle material issues.

Just got mine last week, second hand from Kurisama and I love it. No cracks. Maybe not yet. Sounds like it's luck of the draw.

I haven't gone through all the pages in this thread yet but maybe someone can answer this one (or direct me to the right place if it's been asked/answered before). We've (I think) established that the armor color is wrong, right? It's blue/purple and should be gray for the CF version. Here's where I'm stumped, the EX is Alto's right? With no mention of whether it's movie or TV version. I was re-watching the second MF movie today and remembered Alto doesn't pilot a VF-171EX in the movie. And then, for a bread moment, I saw a whole fleet of white VF-171EXs (I paused it and the canopies were definitely EX style) on their way to battle. Animation error or are we to believe there was a special unit of them?

Anyway, the real question: if the armor is only on the Movie version of the CF, why couldn't they get the color right?

VF-171 cannon fodder should be teal not gray and VF-171EX is one of a kind?

I never thought that just that it was for experienced pilots.

I think he means that the CF armor parts are supposed to be grey and not dark blue.

I think it was either that they were just lazy or felt it didn't look good. I repainted mine to be gray to be more like the movie and even I didn't do it exactly like the movie. This was because the armor was entirely gray in the movie and I felt it lacked any sort of contrast so I left the black parts and only repainted the blue areas. I think more people preferred the blue over the gray and Bandai might have felt the same.