thanks for posting the pics, Kicker. nice figure, but probably a pain to track down now. it's not even listed on HLJ so probably an exclusive release. you're lucky to have it.

i'll stick with my Megahouse PVC and probably track down a Saito to go with it. wasn't planning on getting Saito, but seeing the gatotsu again made me want one.

gotta watch those recommended movies. all this talk of swordplay reminded me of The Hunted, a Hollywood movie from a decade ago, starring Mr. Highlander, Christopher Lambert. thankfully, most of the swordplay action did not involve his character but rather from the other much more able cast. i recall liking it because it stuck a nice balance between flashy and realistic swordplay, in particular, aptly portraying the economy of movement which i imagine is inherent in real samurai fights. the master samurai Takeda would do no more than a parry followed by a strike against lower minions, and maybe just a handful more of that against more skilled foes.

thanks for posting the pics, Kicker. nice figure, but probably a pain to track down now. it's not even listed on HLJ so probably an exclusive release. you're lucky to have it.

i'll stick with my Megahouse PVC and probably track down a Saito to go with it. wasn't planning on getting Saito, but seeing the gatotsu again made me want one.

gotta watch those recommended movies. all this talk of swordplay reminded me of The Hunted, a Hollywood movie from a decade ago, starring Mr. Highlander, Christopher Lambert. thankfully, most of the swordplay action did not involve his character but rather from the other much more able cast. i recall liking it because it stuck a nice balance between flashy and realistic swordplay, in particular, aptly portraying the economy of movement which i imagine is inherent in real samurai fights. the master samurai Takeda would do no more than a parry followed by a strike against lower minions, and maybe just a handful more of that against more skilled foes.

Oh man, just watched a clip of that movie....old-school bullet train...talk about nostalgic.

John Lone's Japanese makes me feel cold.

Edited by peter

I just finished watching it and I must say it was pretty good. Different from the anime in terms of the timeline but that is to be expected. I was kind of disappointed that Kenshin didn't fight Aoshi and complete absence of him actually. I guess that was to avoid all the "Title of the Strongest" obsession and all the background of Aoshi that had to be covered in order for it to make sense to the audience. Also they couldn't capture the strength of the relationship between Kenshin and Kaoru. It seems like they just met 2 days ago and now Kaoru completely understands Kenshin and why he doesn't kill and was able to break free from the shinoipo. But yet again that was to be expected from trying to fit that many episodes into 2 hours.

Hmmm.....the disc on the left says the first half, and the second disc says the last half, there is no third. That makes no sense unless they've compressed the entire series onto two discs.

Kensihin looks a bit more serious on the cover, almost pissed off. Might be a new OVA for the 15h anniversary.

Edit: Just did a bit of searching, found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XEmhU81uCI

Edited by peter

The second half of that OVA is pretty good but not without its gripes,mainly action but the fight scenes between Kenshin and Shishio and Kenshin vs Aoshi are very quick,granted more realistic but they are over in a few seconds. Saito vs Shisho in the Ova is more thrilling then Kenshins duels,which is abit of a bummer. Hell even Kenshin vs Sojiro was over in a bout 5 seconds and didnt have him break down emotionally like in the series.

Very rushed but pretty to look at.

Still havent seen the live action film yet,I cant find it :(

It reminded me of one of the guys from the Oniwaban group - the dungeon master of Edo castle. Forgot his name from the anime, but he was the guy that fought Sano at the gate. According to the BD pamphlet his name is Ganjin Inui...

Saw the movie again with subs last night. Subs were ok. Just found out my brother has a copy of the Blu Ray OVA...gonna watch that!!!

Btw wife is watching the anime from the beginning again. She's been watching it every night... told her to call me when the Tokyo Arc starts.

welp!

I'm watching it right now.

The battle at the beginning was ok. Saito should be taller and Jin'e got

that wtf-anime eyes.

^_^

As usual, Yu Aoi is fantastically looking. :wub:

I'm sure this movie is a nice watch, but

:sigh:

The negatives I've found so far:

I really wish they made this movie a really more serious adaptation. I think the actors they used here have the caliber to make it so.

Just disappointed they went, well, I dunno, almost hong-kong style cinema. Can't even really say it's quite chambara enough. At least for me.

Guess whoever was or were in charge of this production decided to make this really more mainstream and way too accessible almost generic movie.

The positives I found:

Nice high-level production value and quite detailed. The actors were great, even if some were typically overacting it *cough*Kanryu*cough.

The courtyard mini battle with Saito was actually nicely done even if short like Saito. ^_^

Oh, did I mentioned Yu Aoi is pure :wub: , yet?

Anyway, my simple conclusions for it:

It is fun movie to watch and all, but there's just so much deliberate wasted potential to cripple it so as just to give it a more mass appeal thing.

I say if they should have made it in a more serious adaptation ala the Yamada-films and stuff. It really does have the proper production values and the qualified acting. I mean, in contrast, the old Lone Wolf and Cub TV-edition of the 70's was alot more serious and kickass awesome and that whole series probably had the monetary production budget of a high-school theater play compared to this Kenshin-Live. ^_^

Edited by treatment

A serious adaptation would have been solely from the OVA, but since they had to account for the entire TV series, that would have been impossible. It's what I was hoping for, but then again, I'm still clinging on to the hope of a live action movie adaptation of DYRL. haha!

When you said HK style cinema, that really rang a bell because as I was watching some of the fight scenes, that's exactly what I thought. At that moment, I wrote it off from any possibility that this might be a serious period film. Like I said before, I think it was a good adaptation of the story (including the TV show) as a whole, and for that reason, I can't take this movie very seriously. It was entertaining for what it is, but if there was a sequel made in the same way, I seriously doubt I would watch it.

Finally got around to watching the Live action film. I really liked it, sure somethings where alittle changed but it worked for the movie so I didnt mind. Costumes where spot on and had that real weathered look to them so great work with that. Fight scenes where pretty cool and altho some where abit comical it is based off an anime after all. Loved that they didnt shy from blood splatter and having his Battosai flashbacks where quite a nice touch. Even adding somethings that only fans would pick up on.

Overall and enjoyable 2 hours,I'll be up for the 2nd film.

was abit sad that Oniwabansu wasnt in it,but with the run time they probably would have shafted them anyway so its probably for the best.

i've had my fill of gritty/realistic adaptations (or films in general, seems to be the fad these days). so i actually find it quite refreshing that this Kenshin movie did NOT take itself too seriously. not that i would terribly mind if they make a more serious Kenshin movie based on the OVAs, but if they do make a sequel for the Shishio arc, i hope they stick to this current formula, but maybe just a tad darker.

maybe those like me who prefer the Kenshin series to the OVAs are the minority, but then again maybe not. there are specific anime i would watch if i wanted a mindf*ck, and with those i would demand serious treatment for an adaptation (eg. GitS but maybe not Appleseed).

• 2 months later...

thanks. i think i found it (http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN972873) so no need to look for the box. that'll be a royal pain given the size of your collection.

i didn't realize the Figuarts line had some fixed pose figures and had always ignored them since i don't like jointed stuff (except for mechanical ones).

looks smallish though, i guess 1/10? anyway, i'll be hunting this down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Teaser trailer:

Makoto Shishio's look..... Not sure I like translation from animated to live-action. Feel too literal a translation The bandages feel too think. Looks more like a mask than bandages. Feels bulky. Maybe they'll show more in the next trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Decent job with the juppongatana. Shishio does look abit like his in a body cast more then bandages,but i guess we will see once they show him in action. It might turn out quite well,you can only pull away so much from grainy photos.

They all look the part.

• 4 months later...