Models in conjunction with world events

Not sure where to put this, so mods, please edit as needed.

Today the 1/7 scale model of Bin Laden's compound was displayed to media. I was wondering if any one else had any cool links to models of this nature. Fine Scale Modeler has had some pretty cool articles over the years of CIA models and their makers, and it's pretty fascinating how they do/did what they do.

http://www.foxnews.c...d-to-plan-raid/

Non-Macross model threads belong in the anime and science fiction section.

Also, try not to make this thread political.

Thanks EXO for the redirect and yeah, wasn't asking for political opinions. Just insights or links to cool official government models.

First things first, get some really nice knee pads, second, get dirt on somebody or save their butt. Well those are at least the ways my old Sgt. used to tell me when it came to getting the nice cooshy FOBbit jobs.

Hmmm, looks like this is not going as well as hoped. Meh, it happens.

HOW do I get THAT job??? Making badass models for the Pentagon??!!! :ph34r:

Slightly better route/answer than knee pads and ass kissing would be meet the job requirements and apply. Maybe Capt America is looking for a new gig?

Do anyone know if there will be a mass production model of this? Or anything similar? Maybe some of the more famous battles from Op Anaconda with the downed Chinook with Rangers, PJ's, SEAL's, and some Taliban in a small scale.

Edited by Benson13

I thought from the thread title this topic would be about model kits photoshopped into pictures of real world events.

Yeah, like Valks or Zakus photoshopped into pics of fighting in Afganistan or something like that.

Graham

I thought from the thread title this topic would be about model kits photoshopped into pictures of real world events.

Yeah, like Valks or Zakus photoshopped into pics of fighting in Afganistan or something like that.

Graham

Huh. Not a bad idea. Some camo valks laying down the law maybe?

There is a 1/144 scale Stealth-Blackhawk model:

dragon-4628-stealth-blackhawk-01.jpg

You will have to build the giant compound yourself.... that happens to be located near a Pakistani military academy , where no one suspected, or knew who the denizen of the giant mansion down the street was.

Edited by Ghost Train

On the Dragon stealth black hawk, Dragon also re-released their very out of date SEAL team kits from the 1990s in a double pack commemorating/cashing in on Neptune Spear.

Not sure where to put this, so mods, please edit as needed.

Today the 1/7 scale model of Bin Laden's compound was displayed to media. I was wondering if any one else had any cool links to models of this nature. Fine Scale Modeler has had some pretty cool articles over the years of CIA models and their makers, and it's pretty fascinating how they do/did what they do.

http://www.foxnews.c...d-to-plan-raid/

Wow that's seriously cool. It's clearly not 1/7 scale though! They say it's 1 inch to 7 feet, so 1/84th scale??, looks bigger than that...

Edited by Bounty Hunter

You guys wanna know what the sad thing about this thread is?

The sad thing about this thread is that in the year 2012, in a thread titled "Models in conjunction with world events" - we get models of what amounts to a shack where some psychotic dude lived.

Meanwhile, our Gundam and Macross models are considered "childs play."

So much for the year 2012...

There was a time when things were COMPLETELY THE OTHER WAY AROUND:

It just breaks my heart to think that rather than living in an O'Niel cylinder and riding around in Gundams - "world events" are so...well...uninspiring.

Pete

You guys wanna know what the sad thing about this thread is?

The sad thing about this thread is that in the year 2012, in a thread titled "Models in conjunction with world events" - we get models of what amounts to a shack where some psychotic dude lived.

Meanwhile, our Gundam and Macross models are considered "childs play."

So much for the year 2012...

There was a time when things were COMPLETELY THE OTHER WAY AROUND:

It just breaks my heart to think that rather than living in an O'Niel cylinder and riding around in Gundams - "world events" are so...well...uninspiring.

Pete

I'm also a bit disappointed that some of the hard-technologies did not quite pan out the way we thought they would back in the day. But I do think that in some areas real world tech has far exceeded expectations. Instead of writing a multi-paragraph list of examples, I will just say that the interface in most modern OS' whether Windows, Mac OS, etc, looks much prettier than the LCAR of Star Trek or other comparable scifi props of the era... :D no beeps ... no bops.

As to what young people do with this technology... well it's a bit of a disappointment. We waste all of our precious computing bandwidth on "Likes", "Thumbs Up", "Rate Up/Down", "Damm u yamato TEH COLORS R WRONG", and this hideous invention called a "Tweet" (of which 70% are unread).

Edited by Ghost Train

Not quite the same, but I really like to build models of significant historical subjects.

I've been slowly building the aircraft from the Suez Crisis.

4B25.jpg

I also did some work, once upon a time, on a certain multinational intervention in Africa in the mid 1990s. This Canberra played an important part of it.

3v7.jpg

3v9.jpg

Next up I think I'm building a small diorama of the Akagi on December 7th 1941.

Edited by Noyhauser