When DYRL gets official region-1 release...

treatment

Which R1-shop would you want to get and do DYRL  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which R1-shop would you want to get and do DYRL

• Bandai
    • Pioneer/Geneon
    • Funimation
    • Viz
    • ADV (*hurl*)
    • Animeigo
    • TRSI
    • SynchPoint
    • Manga Video
    • CPM
    • 4kids (^_^)

I think most of us MWers either have the old fansub, the LD, the region-0 bootleg (mi and fx), and the official Region-2. Some of us prolly even have the COTB crap.

However,

I'm _still_ hopeful that DYRL will get an official Region-1 release in this day and age and with all these excellent and better A/V technology at their disposal.

So, which R1-shop would you prefer getting it for R1-release. Try to state your reasoning.

Consider that an official R1 will have an English-dub, whether we like it or not.

I think most of us MWers either have the old fansub, the LD, the region-0 bootleg (mi and fx), and the official Region-2. Some of us prolly even have the COTB crap.

However,

I'm _still_ hopeful that DYRL will get an official Region-1 release in this day and age and with all these excellent and better A/V technology at their disposal.

So, which R1-shop would you prefer getting it for R1-release. Try to state your reasoning.

Consider that an official R1 will have an English-dub, whether we like it or not.

I chose animeigo. Out of that list, there's only 3 companies that can really handle this movie as well as it deserves. Bandai, ADV and Animeigo. Bandai releases very high quality products but apparently there staff has no common sense. If you've ever watched the subs of Banner of the Stars and such, they decided to layer their subs over the original Ahb > Japanese subs, and it comes out to be a horrible unreadable mess. Likewise they may do the same thing with the Zentradi > Japanese subs. ADV has very high quality as well, even though you may hate them for their Robotech releases. I give edge to Animeigo because not only are their releases of high quality, I feel their experience with the TV series gives them a greater advantage and intimate knowledge of the subject material.

Hey, so Macross DYRL?, 7, Zero, and the original Lovers Again are going to be released officially? I read on this website called "GIF Fire!" that the licensing dispute between Big West/Studio Nue and Harmony Gold has finally ended in favor of BW/SN. Is this true? Because if so, HELL YEAH!!!!!!!! B))

problem with AnimEigo is their limited distribution. i would be slightly annoyed if it became a website exclusive - i'ld be dinged duty fees and their packing methods are truly attrocious. after paying quite a bit for their box sets you would expect it would be shipped in something better then just cardboard and nothing else to protect it.

Who the hell voted for 4kids?

I was wondering why 4kids on the list. Do they have the staff to handle such a movie like DYRL? What was their last major DVD release? Wasn't it Pokemon? :ph34r:

Yeah. Seriously, why is 4kids on the list? And all this time, I was expecting TOKYOPOP to be on the polls.

I listed 4kids just as a throw-away joke-option, even tho I believe they still have money from their Pokemon releases.

Of course, I wasn't expecting somebody to actually vote for it, but somebody did and it wasn't me.

I didn't list TokyoPop both because of the recent Trash-7 fiasco and because of the infamous Initial-D crap-tweak release.

I also didn't list Media Blasters because of the still-ongoing mono-audio issue on their releases

Edited by treatment

I listed 4kids just as a throw-away joke-option, even tho I believe they still have money from their Pokemon releases.

Of course, I wasn't expecting somebody to actually vote for it, but somebody did and it wasn't me.

I didn't list TokyoPop both because of the recent Trash-7 fiasco and because of the infamous Initial-D crap-tweak release.

I also didn't list Media Blasters because of the still-ongoing mono-audio issue on their releases

What about Urban Vision?

Animeigo has rapidly gone down hill in the last year or so, so I wouldn't trust the quality of their previous works as an indicator of their current ability. ADV would likely sit on it forever or slap it out the door with a half-assed job. I think Bandai would do a good job of it, plus they're the company most likely to release it (only ADV has the necessary money besides them, but I doubt ADV would want to piss of their partners, HG). I'm waiting and seeing when it comes to Genoen as to what the change in ownership does to the quality of their anime line.

Of course,  I wasn't expecting somebody to actually vote for it, but somebody did and it wasn't me.

What about Urban Vision?

I honestly forgot about Urban Vision.

Could they have the money, luv and expertise to handle DYRL?

Animeigo has rapidly gone down hill in the last year or so, so I wouldn't trust the quality of their previous works as an indicator of their current ability. ADV would likely sit on it forever or slap it out the door with a half-assed job. I think Bandai would do a good job of it, plus they're the company most likely to release it (only ADV has the necessary money besides them, but I doubt ADV would want to piss of their partners, HG). I'm waiting and seeing when it comes to Genoen as to what the change in ownership does to the quality of their anime line.

Same reservations here about Animeigo, too. Animeigo excels at restoring old titles, but I don't think the 1999 DYRL dvd needs any a/v restoration. If DYRL needs an upgrade, it will prolly need a 5.1 or 6.1 and DTS upgrades for R1.

I'm also thinking Bandai might get it coz of their sheer weight in the industry, tho Pioneer/Geneon and ADV would prolly put up a fight for it.

Funimation did a pretty good job on Fruba and have lots of money from the DB/DBZ/DBGT franchise. They also now have Kiddy Grade, so they're a dark horse to snatch the DYRL R1-license.

Bandai and Pioneer a close second. These two usually put out a good product.

Animeigo would probably do a good job but their distribution stinks. How many of their DVDs can you find at a retail store? A movie like DYRL needs to be out in stores not hidden away on the internet.

As much as I would like Animeigo, realistically, I see Bandai getting the license.

Realistically, it aint ever gonna happen in the US. :angry:

Hey, this entire thread is one big "Hypothetical situation" ;)

But yeah, if you want to get totally realistic, it'll be a while before anyone get's anything.

IIRC, wasn't Shin at AnimeIgo pretty much the driving force behind the SDF: Macross restorations? Didin't he leave AnimeIgo shortly afterwards to do his own thing?

While yes, AnimeIgo did do a good job on the SDF: Macross releases, I still feel kind of shafted that myself and everyone paid $250 pre-release for the boxset when AnimeIgo was saying that that the regular version available in stores would be $300, and then once it is available in stores you can get it for significantly less than $250*.

I felt AnimeIgo was just trying to be sure it recoups it's losses, but the fact that they didn't even acknowledge or mention that they overcharged people who pre-bought the set kind of irks me.

I voted for Pioneer/Geneon simply because I'm hoping that Geneon can provide the same High-Quality subs/Mid-Quality dubs (which is the best we can ever hope to get) that Pioneer was able to offer.

Plus, I think Pioneer was also very good at providing great supplemental material. And I, once again, hope that Geneon can do so as well.

(*for example, Best Buy is offering each volume for $19.99, basically, that's $180 for the whole set. $70 less than those who pre-ordered the set at the "discount price" and $120 less than those who preordered were told that everyone else whould have to buy it at once it was generally available. AnimeIgo may do good work with the films, but I think they're about as money-grubbing liars as ADV or HG.)

Edited by the white drew carey

IIRC, wasn't Shin at AnimeIgo pretty much the driving force behind the SDF: Macross restorations? Didin't he leave AnimeIgo shortly afterwards to do his own thing?

Look at all the screw ups they've had since he left. Right off the top of my head there were the problems with the KOR DVDs and the disaster that was the Otaku No Video DVD release. I think Animeigo's days are numbered if they don't pull their collective head out of their butt.

(*for example, Best Buy is offering each volume for $19.99, basically, that's $180 for the whole set. $70 less than those who pre-ordered the set at the "discount price" and $120 less than those who preordered were told that everyone else whould have to buy it at once it was generally available. AnimeIgo may do good work with the films, but I think they're about as money-grubbing liars as ADV or HG.)

Come on now and let's be fair - they made too many of them, and found themselves sitting on extra inventory they had to move that they couldn't clear through at the then asking price. This is a 2 year old product - if it costs them money to sit on them, then they have to get rid of them somehow, and this is better than dumping them in a landfill. This happens with any kind of consumer good out there, and shouldn't be shocking or surprising to anyone - it costs money to sit on excess inventory, and it becomes a question of selling them (maybe at a loss) just to eliminate the added expense. Think "Toynami MPC". :D

Early adopters/buyers always pay more. You make your choice whether you want to get it when it comes out and be sure to get them before they run out, or you take your chances that it will go on sale eventually. I paid full price for mine, and I have no regrets.

I am being fair.

They took pre-orders before the product was even done. They produced a set amount of the 9-disk box sets once the pre-ordering was done. These 9-disk sets were especially for the pre-order and were never produced for regular sale, so you're wrong in stating they had a whole load of stock.

They may have over-produced the 3-disk sets as well as the single disk sets, but I doubt it. I bet they're actually still producing sets instead of sitting on a bunch of stock.

Either or, AnimeIgo clearly stated that the pre-order sets were to be a discounted price and the regular release would cost more. Whether or not market forces have caused the decrease in price, they still haven't even said anything about it or acknowledged that they were initially mistaken.

A simple "Hey, we were wrong" would've cleared my conscience regarding the company. But the fact that they haven't even made a statement about it leads me to believe that 1) they don't give a damn about the people who supported them and dished out a whole bunch of money on an as yet unfinished product, and 2) They're simply content to have taken the money and ran.

I go with Bandai.

-Rant (go ahead and skip this, I just gotta get it outta my system)

In the past I would have hoped for ADV but they've gone down the tubes and whored themselves out to Harmony Gold. Their Rurouni Kenshin OVA release on DVD was a big-ass pile of crap; the English dub was butchered and for the "extra" information they gave was a bunch of made up crap (Shinsengumi fans you know what I'm talking about!).

I really used to like ADV and admire them, they've released a lot of anime that I like and have done a good job in the past. But, their release of RK was :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Their release of Orphen sucked too, but I was never a fan of it.

-End rant

:mellow:

Yeah, Bandai's done alright on Cowboy Bebop, and Escaflowne the Movie was pretty good (although they worked with Viz). Yeah, Bandai's fine by me.

This is crazy, but I guess it goes to show how far anime fandom has changed. For a long time if you even hinted at preferring ADV over AnimEigo you'd be shot down. Personally I think ADV is crap, and don't do the same quality other companies do.

AnimEigo at one time was the real 'fan's choice,' but it seems like they're on the way out. They've always tended to do more fan-favorites than big sellers (which the exception of the early 90's - BGC, OH MyGoddess, etc.) and as a result they have less money to buy more series. Compare this to ADV who made their initial money selling H-videos and then going up and buying all the biggest releases.

Hey, so Macross DYRL?, 7, Zero, and the original Lovers Again are going to be released officially? I read on this website called "GIF Fire!" that the licensing dispute between Big West/Studio Nue and Harmony Gold has finally ended in favor of BW/SN. Is this true? Because if so, HELL YEAH!!!!!!!! B))

....I'm an official news source now? When the hell did that happen!

The way the case ended (just for quick re-cap):

-Big West/Studio Nue: Own all designs, concepts, story, etc (which inclused sequels based there on).

-Tatsunoko: owns the produced animation itself (which means they only own the animation produced for the show, not the story, characters, etc. Most certainly nothing relating to sequels).

On to the topic, I voted for Bandai. They've basically already done the work, they just need to change the regio code, and add subtitles.

AnimEigo has already expressed that purchasing the rights are beyond them, other than that, they'd be a great company (with terrible art).

BTW, what's wrong with the Otaku no Video disc? Aside from no timestamp that is.