Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

If Boeing thought they could make the same kind of money selling 757s, they would. But a big 737 is cheaper to make and has guaranteed demand. Plus the 787 fits in the 757's size class anyway, but with practically 777 range. (At least until the 777X meet production) Let's face it: Boeing overdiversified their airframe lineup. The big 737s are pretty close to the small 757s, the big 757s are pretty close to the 767s, the 787s kind of sit in there with all 3. The only well-defined Boeing products at this point are the 747, 777, and 737-400/800. The 75, 76, and 78 are all a bit more nebulous.

That in mind, a 73 the size of a 75, with technology from the 78, sounds like a good mix of current production feasibilities and modern technologies, given that, you know, the 73 is still in production. And is the most produced airliner ever. But maybe I'm biased. My dad used to build 737-400 flight computers. I'm in love with the 73 and the 777.

I just wished they'd go back to AC4 or 5 but with updated graphics for PS4 bundled with a new HOTAS setup or better yet, make it backwards compatible with the old Hori FS2!!!

I wish there was a way to use the AC6 HOTAS set from the 360 in other places. =(

There must be some way, someone made Windows drivers for the old Hori FS2 to work on a PC...

I know this is bit off topic but I found this tonight. I thought this was just cool. The gentleman's reaction at the end of the flight is priceless. the second one is for all you VF-19 finatics. It also proves some actual real aerodynamic possibilities of the VF series.

Edited by grigolosi

Who in their right mind would base jump off a space elevator in the middle of a fur-ball/dog fight!

You're standing 30,000 feet up on the side of a massive target. A target which is, reasonably speaking, the only reason there's a battle going on around you. It's almost guaranteed to get hit by some kind of exploding thing. Even if it wasn't being targeted, it's fairly massive. And if it does get hit, there will be debris everywhere and you'll fall anyway. You, on the other hand, are 6 feet tall and have some kind of gear to survive the fall, presumably. You're a much smaller, far less valuable target who will quickly egress from the combat area (10,000-30,000 feet ASL) if you jump.

Seems sensible to me.

I watch this trailer, and then I watch the Ace Combat Zero announcement trailer from E3 2006 and I can't help wondering why Project Aces is phoning it in so hard. Zero came a year off the heels of AC5, and its announcement trailer revealed a fleshed-out, voice-acted story with fairly complete gameplay. And sure, you can argue it was using the AC5 game engine, so all they had to do was make assets and a story, while AC7 is on a new system with a new engine. To that, I note Ace Combat 6's announcement, some 8 months after AC0 was launched- on a totally new system with a new engine, and yet the whole thing was shown in game physics and graphics, with the musical score and voice acting all there. Sure, the AC6 trailer isn't as good as AC0's, but it's a far cry better than this. I can only hope they pull a miracle out of their hats, because Ace Combat has a good amount of generic to recover from since Assault Horizon and Infinity.

At least this one's back in Strangereal.

There's a new Ace Combat?! (woohoo, just got a PS4 for Battlefront for Christmas) - I wonder if there'd be a HOTAS setup for PS4?

SWBF? If so you'll be loving the Jakku Ground war! There is SOOOOOO much going on in the skies above that fight! Graphics are 10/10

SWBF? If so you'll be loving the Jakku Ground war! There is SOOOOOO much going on in the skies above that fight! Graphics are 10/10

Thanks! Woohoo, can't wait till Christmas day... more like the next day I guess. Not sure about trying to fly with that stupid thumb controller on the Dualshock4 - there must be a stick & throttle setup, but then how does that switch from the ground war the flying during the game?!

84821536.jpg

B))

Looks like from my part of woods... er...palm trees! The C-17's from the 535th Airlift Squadron?

Edit: After researching, It 's the C-17 Fuel cell nose dock hangar at Hickam. That section where the tail fits also has bay doors to seal it flush.

Edited by wmkjr

A lot of bases have hangar's like that. They have a separate door that closes over the tail opening when there are no heavies in for maintenance. I know Pope AFB had quite a few of them for the C-130's.

Yeah, all of my SpaceX acolyte friends are spamming it on my FB feed. I still maintain that Blue Origin's design will make it more reliable than SpaceX.

Blue Origin's record so far is a fair bit less explode-y than SpaceX.

Still I'm really not convinced about the whole vertical landing rocket thing. It's like its proponents haven't heard of the rocket equation.

Seems to me it'd weigh less to pack a parachute than the literal tons of fuel needed to control a descent in that way. And man they are super bonerriffic for vertical landings. And everyone keeps going on about how it's a historical landing. Like, what, Blue Origin's landing wasn't? Or the 2006 Wirefly X-Prize for that matter?

Seems to me it'd weigh less to pack a parachute than the literal tons of fuel needed to control a descent in that way. And man they are super bonerriffic for vertical landings. And everyone keeps going on about how it's a historical landing. Like, what, Blue Origin's landing wasn't? Or the 2006 Wirefly X-Prize for that matter?

Wasn't Space X doing experiments with the Grasshopper vehicle before Blue Origin, and the Monday's landing was with a operational launch vehicle that had just launched multiple satellites into orbit?

Wasn't Space X doing experiments with the Grasshopper vehicle before Blue Origin, and the Monday's landing was with a operational launch vehicle that had just launched multiple satellites into orbit?

Yeah, the difference is that BO launched vertically and then came back down. SpaceX had to recover from a large horizontal velocity and return to nearby the launching point. I think both vehicles crossed the Von Karman line, but there was a pretty significant difference in mission design.

Still, SpaceX has been launching into orbit for quite a while now. It shouldn't diminish what Blue Origin has done in what can be regarded as one of its very first flights.