If certain American toy companies had the Macross liscense.

mrhillz

If Hasbro had the liscense, Macross could be a Transformers sub line. There's a chance we could have seen "Human Alliance" type transforming mecha, with pilot figures. We could have seen mini "Heroes" figures, of either the pilots or the Valks, Destroids, Regults etc. There would be also a chance of Legends style mini transforming figures, complete with a SDF-1, Macross Quarter, or maybe Battle 7 transforming playsets, like how they are releasing now. Of course if the line was popular enough, we could see Deluxe, Voyager, or Leader class figures of our favorite mecha, if the quality was good it could have possibly rivaled anything Yamato or Bandai has released, for half the cost.

If Bandai USA had the liscense, yep it would have been golden- the 1/55 chunky monkey style could have been sold in American stores for the first time since the 80's with Jetfire. Of course we would have seen the Mac Frontier releases, etc. We could have also seen smaller action figures of the pilots, a la Thundercats, derpy eyes and all.

If Mattel had the liscense, We would see a good amount of transforming mecha, but the main problem would be 3-4 Hikaru to a case, with only 2 other characters, such as Max, Miryia, etc. Though it would be possible that they would sell some different ones on Mattycollector.com , have a "Club" for it, where you could get first access to the new and different ones.

Does anyone else know of what different toy companies could do with the liscense, or anything you could add to what I posted above?

OR if certain American companiy didn't have a Macross embargo on the US or the rest of the world, imagine Yamato Valks on the store shelves. I like that better than having those companies deal with Macross as many of their products a lot of the time aren't great.

We'd be slightly less screwed with the exchange rate. All the cool releases have been Macross 7 so we'd probably still be out of luck unless a certain company adapted it as "Robotech 7" or something like that. :D

I seriously doubt any US toy company would treat any Macross item with the same effort, creativity in design/engineering/execution, attention to detail and authenticity, and "quality" as either Bandai or Yamato lavish on their respective licenses. Not that they couldn't do it, but more that they wouldn't bother to do it... think Matchbox VF-1 et al. However, the opportunity for licensing the products from Bandai or Yamato in the US would open up all sorts of possibilities for acquiring coveted items at more reasonable price points. Ultimately, other than Toynami, it'll never happen so long a HG is a going concern.

Edited by mechaninac

As much as HG wants that license, no one else does and to tell you the truth, that whole HG embargo thing is kind of a joke. It's not like we see a slew of Japanese anime items in the toy aisles, especially the quality that we're use to. I mean where's the toys of animes like Evangelion, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop... properties that have no licensing issues... The most we'll ever get would be something like Thundercats from Bandai, something that's intended for the US market, but I don't think those toys will muscle out Transformers, GI Joe and Star Wars or the superhero stuff.

Everything from Japan that not an american property still costs a lot, only gets sold in specialty stores or the internet, Gundam... SOCs... whatever.

OR if certain American companiy didn't have a Macross embargo on the US or the rest of the world, imagine Yamato Valks on the store shelves. I like that better than having those companies deal with Macross as many of their products a lot of the time aren't great.

plus cheaper priced too, I can imagine the comic book shop on Marsh Road here in Delaware selling them exclusively. If only we could tear down that embargo..... Macross Tea Party anyone against HG Boycotting anything related to those bastards :D

plus cheaper priced too, I can imagine the comic book shop on Marsh Road here in Delaware selling them exclusively. If only we could tear down that embargo..... Macross Tea Party anyone against HG Boycotting anything related to those bastards :D

What do you mean? I've been boycotting HG stuff for years, though un intentionally until last year of course :) .

I'm a huge ROBOTECH fan. Yes, I know it's a felony on this site. :rolleyes:

But I also love Macross. To me, they are a separate entity. And yes, I can be a fan of both. In fact, It frustrates me to no end that we can't have both. Cause we can. But HG likes to make it DIFFICULT to be a Robotech fan. There I go, off subject again.

A US Company doing Robotech toys? Yes, I think it will happen soon. But I also think it will be a bad idea.

Robotech fans have been plagued with mediocre toys since the mid 1980's. Toynami? Matchbox? I mean, sure, Toynami makes the coolest boxes in all of toydom (I really love their "book" boxes), they have great statues and bookends, and a few of their low end toys are cool, but we we also got fed the MP Veritechs and Alpha fighter line.

There is a Live Action Robotech movie in the works, that allegedly will be some kind of sequel to the original 1980's animated saga. If the movie ever gets green lit (it's in development hell at WB), I think Robotech toys will be inevitable. Who should do them? I agree with the statement that no one would handle the IP the way Yamato and BanDai do here in the states. It will be difficult for me to see Hasbro quality Robotech toys. The Yamato and BanDai are toys, but they are aimed for "adult collectors," whereas Transformers are aimed for kids. Transformers just look so elementary compared to a Valkyrie or Legioss. I meant Veritech or Alpha Fighter. :lol: But that's comparing a "kid's toy" to an "adult collectible."

Realistically, Yamato and Bandai valks stateside will never happen. Especially with this economy. The name of the game with Hasbro is quantity. They'd rather produce 10 15 dollar toys than one 40 dollar toy. A 10 dollar Robotech toy? We'll get something like the Classics Jetfire. Which was a 20 dollar toy, but it just looks so...kiddish. But yeah, when this Robotech movie comes into fruition, the toys will end up being something similar to GI JOE or Transformers. The "adult collectors" will get the shaft, and we'll still have to get our fix by importing the cool new Macross toys. Did I say Macross? I mean Robotech. :p

But I also love Macross. To me, they are a separate entity. And yes, I can be a fan of both. In fact, It frustrates me to no end that we can't have both. Cause we can. But HG likes to make it DIFFICULT to be a Robotech fan. There I go, off subject again.

A US Company doing Robotech toys? Yes, I think it will happen soon. But I also think it will be a bad idea.

Robotech fans have been plagued with mediocre toys since the mid 1980's. Toynami? Matchbox? I mean, sure, Toynami makes the coolest boxes in all of toydom (I really love their "book" boxes), they have great statues and bookends, and a few of their low end toys are cool, but we we also got fed the MP Veritechs and Alpha fighter line.

There is a Live Action Robotech movie in the works, that allegedly will be some kind of sequel to the original 1980's animated saga. If the movie ever gets green lit (it's in development hell at WB), I think Robotech toys will be inevitable. Who should do them? I agree with the statement that no one would handle the IP the way Yamato and BanDai do here in the states. It will be difficult for me to see Hasbro quality Robotech toys. The Yamato and BanDai are toys, but they are aimed for "adult collectors," whereas Transformers are aimed for kids. Transformers just look so elementary compared to a Valkyrie or Legioss. I meant Veritech or Alpha Fighter. :lol: But that's comparing a "kid's toy" to an "adult collectible."

Realistically, Yamato and Bandai valks stateside will never happen. Especially with this economy. The name of the game with Hasbro is quantity. They'd rather produce 10 15 dollar toys than one 40 dollar toy. A 10 dollar Robotech toy? We'll get something like the Classics Jetfire. Which was a 20 dollar toy, but it just looks so...kiddish. But yeah, when this Robotech movie comes into fruition, the toys will end up being something similar to GI JOE or Transformers. The "adult collectors" will get the shaft, and we'll still have to get our fix by importing the cool new Macross toys. Did I say Macross? I mean Robotech. :p

That movie is vaporware with no movement what's so ever and by the time if at all it comes to production the time for it will have passed. Plus if their are toys they will be aimed at the kids and the toys will in no way resemble the valks we come to know and love i.e. the Live Action Transformers toys being nothing like the toys we had growing up because of the movie design. At best we can hope for a company that has the time, and is willing to work with HG to produce new stuff. A lot of companies are dipping into the 80s well at the moment so someone like Matty Collector could do Robotech, especially considering their overall toy lineup is 80's properties and DC comics.

I'd think that Yamato USA would like to get the rights for any Macross related toys. And Bandai USA would also extend their grip of Frontier license, but you know, there is a little prick stand in the way, Harmony Gold LOL!

Again... With or without HG in the way... those bubblegum crisis toys that Yamato USA put out were about 60 - 75 bucks and they never hit retail stores. The Yamato valks were more readily available than those were... Adding HG into the mix would only equal to merchandise with Toynami quality. (No thanks!)

The only thing that would put Macross or Robotech toys in the retail stores would be new animation or a live action movie. And there's no studio that would put money into Robotech or any American studios that would recognize Macross.

There is a Live Action Robotech movie in the works, that allegedly will be some kind of sequel to the original 1980's animated saga. If the movie ever gets green lit (it's in development hell at WB), ........

LOL! I guess there are people that still believe what HG tells ppl in those panels.

There is a Live Action Robotech movie in the works, that allegedly will be some kind of sequel to the original 1980's animated saga.

I wouldnt say "its in the works", being considered is probably a better description and even that might be a bit of an overstatement.

ITT, people who have no idea how the North American toy market works. :p

If HG where to magically go away right now, Macross toys aren't magically going to start spearing in the toy isle at Walmart. About the positive change we'd see would be that we could finally contact Yamato USA's customer service and request replacement parts whenever our toys break.

:edit:

And as for what if Hasbro had the licenses to make Macross toys: you seriously need to lay of the ganja man, it's not healthy.

Edited by anime52k8

I know we will never actually see them on shelves. I have seen those shelves, they are a dark and scary place. Doesn't mean that they can't be sold in the store or comic shoops or what have. Granted in many ways they all ready are but maybe it would help keep the overall costs down. I still think the best option if any would be Matty Collector to pick up the series.

First, Hasbro does really good job on starwars ships as of late their very detailed not bandai or yamato like but very good none the less.(they also cost half as much) Second has anyone heard of mcfarlene toys (spawn,halo,gears,bioshock) are just a few of their high quality stuff. Third Hasbro has a masterpeice line made of diecast metal and my masterpeice skywarp has panel lines movable flaps and Missles that stay put when played with

Edited by brannon

The Yamato love here is way over-rated. Sure their toys look beautiful, until you touch them, then they fall apart. For >$200 a pop. I'm literally afraid of touching my Yamato's because of my history with them. Recently, I opened up a 1/24 Patlabor I got cheap from HLJ. I tried to turn the head - oops! that stupid piston in the neck has it's swivel joint break. Great. It's not like I'm manhandling these things either. Come on - legs fall off, shoulders need to be replaced, arms break off...Meanwhile, I don't believe I've _ever_ broken a Transformer, from 1984 to today. Yeah yeah, I understand economies of scale and all, but some of the Leader class transformers were amazing works of engineering. No, you wouldn't get line art accuracy where you could put a VF-1 drawing over a photo of your vehicle and everything would match up perfectly. Instead you would get a toy that wouldn't break if you looked at it at 25% of the cost. Yeah, I'll sacrifice a bit of detail for that.

The only reason I put up with Yamato is because these are such limited run toys. I agree that if HG disappeared, nothing much would matter. But I also think that if HG hadn't been in the way the last 20-30 years, Macross could be as big in the US as Transformers are now. Of course the difference between the two IPs is that the Transformers animated show was an after thought to the toys, whereas the toys were an after thought to the Macross series.

I only say Matty because they seem to be one of the few companies out right now doing 80's style toys. In the end if anything Macross could come into the market it will be VF-1s because the overall public doesn't know much about it outside of robotech. So i could see them doing those since they have done Ghostbusters, Voltron, and He-Man.

First, Hasbro does really good job on starwars ships as of late their very detailed not bandai or yamato like but very good none the less.(they also cost half as much) Second has anyone heard of mcfarlene toys (spawn,halo,gears,bioshock) are just a few of their high quality stuff. Third Hasbro has a masterpeice line made of diecast metal and my masterpeice skywarp has panel lines movable flaps and Missles that stay put when played with

Masterpiece Skywarp is actually a recolor/rebranding of Takara Tomy's Masterpiece Starscream. Also, the McFarlane Halo toys are notorious for brittle plastic.

I mean do we have to repeat the reason why those toys are cheaper everytime the argument starts up?

Also, how much is the MP10?

It's not out yet, but the preorders are around $150-200 if I'm not mistakened. I'm sure the American version will be missing the trailer, like how our MP 09 was.

mp-10 is $250 on preorder right now from the importers (like bbts). overpriced, but one has to remember the exchange rate has changd too. i think my mp-04 was less than $200. anyway these are all takara products...granted hasbro and takara team up on transformers, the masterpiece transformers are usually designed by takara. hasbro does their own versions with varying amounts of redeco and re-engineering, but mostly they are a takara product. hasbro releases these cheaper in the states usually (they don't have to as i'm sure TF asa brand already does ok and masterpiece adds very little to it) as almost a fanservice.

Yeah, it's not out yet except at some magical Walmart in Florida, they're on clearance already, as I've been "informed."

If you want to compare Yamato to anything Transformers, they're more comparable to Fans Projects or that new Devastator/Hercules by TFC Toys. Like SpaceCowboy said... limited run by a small company. Hell, the 3rd party ppl don't even have to pay license and royalty fees.

Takara and masterpeice are the same thing minus box and in some cases extra accesories. You sir have been informed.

The MP-10 JUST came out and it's only available from importers or stores like BBTS (which was mentioned earlier). Not sure which toy you're talking about but it's not MP-10 Convoy.

>EXO< is 100% correct.

*for reference: http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT39840

-b.

Yeah, it's not out yet except at some magical Walmart in Florida, they're on clearance already, as I've been "informed."

I wish they were! I'd be in my car right now hitting every Walmart in a 50 mile radius.

-b.

As much as HG wants that license, no one else does and to tell you the truth, that whole HG embargo thing is kind of a joke. It's not like we see a slew of Japanese anime items in the toy aisles, especially the quality that we're use to. I mean where's the toys of animes like Evangelion, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop... properties that have no licensing issues... The most we'll ever get would be something like Thundercats from Bandai, something that's intended for the US market, but I don't think those toys will muscle out Transformers, GI Joe and Star Wars or the superhero stuff.

Everything from Japan that not an american property still costs a lot, only gets sold in specialty stores or the internet, Gundam... SOCs... whatever.

It would be cheaper for us though, domestic shipping is always cheaper than EMS. For example, Bluefin Tamashii is able to distribute Robot Damashii and SH Figurarts here, and buying a release from them here via online or specialty store iirc is cheaper than ordering one straight from Japan.

If Hasbro had the Robotech license I bet they wouldn't sit on it like Toynami does. I think they would release a lot of toys. Not as intricate nor as detailed as Bandai nor Yamato, but better than Toynami. They also have the incentive of possibly getting TakaraTomy to partner with and handle the engineering. Maybe a mass market simplified mainline with "Masterpiece" items sprinkled in. I don't think anyone here is going to say the MPC VF-1 is a better toy than MP Starscream. Hell maybe they could finally do the Legioss some justice, something Toynami nor CMs was able to do well.

I just think Hasbro would actually DO something with the license. IMHO Maiden Japan is underused by Toynami, how many items has he already sculpted that have yet to be released?

Shin I have to disagree:

Will/Should Hasbro or Mattel sit on the license if they owned it?

Yes, because there's no market in the present to take advantage of. It's a small property compared to their other giant money making endeavors.

Should HG/Toynami sit on it?

No, it's a pretty significant market for a small company and their free reign on every market except Japan should be taken advantage of. Yamato is doing really well with a limited market, why can't they with a much larger one? Even with the product they released that Maiden Japan has worked on, they don't want to put the money into it. That 1/100 Regult should have been a runaway hit if it was an actual toy because there's no other affordable enemy toy being sold. Even if they sold it for $60 both Macross and Robotech fans would have bought it.