What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Finished watching Arakawa under the Bridge. Weird random humour but it has some memorable characters and I laughed a quite a bit. If I had to describe it it'd be the a cross between the humour of Excel Saga with the strangeness of FLCL but made by SHAFT.

Got my hands on Madoka Magica and will finally start it tomorrow after overcoming my magic-girl phobia.

Edited by Marzan

Finished watching Arakawa under the Bridge. Weird random humour but it has some memorable characters and I laughed a quite a bit. If I had to describe it it'd be the a cross between the humour of Excel Saga with the strangeness of FLCL but made by SHAFT.

Got my hands on Madoka Magica and will finally start it tomorrow after overcoming my magic-girl phobia.

Madoka is awesome, and you will never look at Magical Girl shows the same way again.

I just finished watching the first season(generation 1) of Allison & Lillia. This series is truelly one of those remarkable classic hidden gems. How is it not super popular on this board with its vintage inter war/WWII aircraft, film noir story, rich world, and deeply thought out characters I'll never know. Its even got a great multi-generational story arc where the plot is continued by th daughter of the main characters.

Its been a long time since I've been moved by a season ending. Generation 1 is both at the same time brutally heartbreaking, and spiritually uplifting. I now have to track down generation 2.

Fans of Miyazaki and studio Ghibli should give this series a shot.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I am laughing until tears are rolling down my chin watching Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? of the Dead...Season 2.

They actually have the two main charaters, Ayumu and Haruna, play with the Arbalest Arm Slave model from Full Metal Panic. Haruna explains to the vampire girl (Sera) about the Lamda Drive system that Sousuke uses. Then to Ayumu's horror, Haruna accidentally breaks the model figure while flying it around. Both Ayumu and Haruna yells in shock.

I would never have thought Full Metal Panic would be mentioned in detail within Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? :lol:

Madoka is awesome, and you will never look at Magical Girl shows the same way again.

Did a little marathon and finished it last night. Wow. It is very good indeed.

It starts of well enough, but doesn't really get interesting until the 3rd episode. From then on the plot thickens and the story matches the outstanding production values. And the last 4 episodes or so are just sublime. Episode 10 in particular is definitely in my list of top anime episodes of all time. It's that good.

The art is incredible. Some of the battle scenes look like the kind of thing that Salvador Dalí would have drawn if he were working as a manga artist. And the music fits what is happening on screen perfectly, creating a great atmosphere.

It really is one of the best anime made in the past decade or so. However I don't think it'll change how I look at Magical Girl shows, since Madoka is clealy unlike any other Magical Girl shows. It has more in common with the likes of Evangelion as some have pointed out than Mahou Shoujo stuff.

Started watching Code Geass: Lelouche(or should that be Le Douche?) Of The Rebellion. I'm about half way through the first season so far I'm liking what I'm seeing even if the main character is an a**hole(pretty much justified though). There's also the fact that I think the planning meetings for this series started with "Hey guys I loved Votom's let's make something like it." and the next guy's like "I loved Full Metal Panic too! Let's add some of that!" Then the next guy's like "Remember that creepy implied masturbation scene from evangelion let's add that too!" The rest of the staff looks at him, shrugs, and goes with it anyways. This series is like the Devastator transformer of mecha shows adding bits and pieces from other shows into something awesome.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Finished watching Mushi-Shi recently and really enjoyed it. The slow pace and slight creepiness were really fun. Ginko was definitely a cool character (probably because he smoked constantly) and I really liked the concept of the Mushi as an allegory (or should I say metaphor?) for man vs. nature.

I just started watching Blassreiter and it's totally jarring in comparison. Might have to set it aside for awhile and switch to something more mellow.

Here's my review: http://dubsub.blogspot.com/2012/09/mushi-shi-anime-review.html

So , uh, where can I see uncensored episodes of Queens Blade Rebellion? Would Funimation be streaming that on their site?

Why the hell does everyone think Funimation has the rights to the Queen's Blade series? Media Blasters has the rights to the first two seasons and its on netflix. Rebellion is licensed by Sentai Filmworks and should be popping up on crunchyroll or the anime network website.

Did a little marathon and finished it last night. Wow. It is very good indeed.

It starts of well enough, but doesn't really get interesting until the 3rd episode. From then on the plot thickens and the story matches the outstanding production values. And the last 4 episodes or so are just sublime. Episode 10 in particular is definitely in my list of top anime episodes of all time. It's that good.

The art is incredible. Some of the battle scenes look like the kind of thing that Salvador Dalí would have drawn if he were working as a manga artist. And the music fits what is happening on screen perfectly, creating a great atmosphere.

It really is one of the best anime made in the past decade or so. However I don't think it'll change how I look at Magical Girl shows, since Madoka is clealy unlike any other Magical Girl shows. It has more in common with the likes of Evangelion as some have pointed out than Mahou Shoujo stuff.

I take it you haven't seen Utena, Puchi Puri, or Princess Tutu?

I take it you haven't seen Utena, Puchi Puri, or Princess Tutu?

Have seen Utena but not the other two.

I don't consider Utena a magical girl show at all. It strikes me more as a modern fairy tale using a lot of metaphores and allegories, taking a lot of its visual look from stuff like Rose of Versailles. Yeah. some of the outfit transformation scenes are reminiscent of Sailor Moon, but Utena and co. never dwell on magic so I don't really see the 'mahou' in it

Started watching Code Geass: Lelouche(or should that be Le Douche?) Of The Rebellion. I'm about half way through the first season so far I'm liking what I'm seeing even if the main character is an a**hole(pretty much justified though). There's also the fact that I think the planning meetings for this series started with "Hey guys I loved Votom's let's make something like it." and the next guy's like "I loved Full Metal Panic too! Let's add some of that!" Then the next guy's like "Remember that creepy implied masturbation scene from evangelion let's add that too!" The rest of the staff looks at him, shrugs, and goes with it anyways. This series is like the Devastator transformer of mecha shows adding bits and pieces from other shows into something awesome.

You're right it's a very eclectic show that shows a lot of influences from other shows. It has its up and downs though. There's a couple of real facepalm moments there and now. The ending of Code Geass season 2 though is one of my favourite endings from any anime.

You're right it's a very eclectic show that shows a lot of influences from other shows. It has its up and downs though. There's a couple of real facepalm moments there and now. The ending of Code Geass season 2 though is one of my favourite endings from any anime.

Just finished season 2, and you're the ending is fitting. You're also right about the ups and downs and the facepalm moments. It seems to me that if not for some key decisions by Lelouch and his "my way or death" attitude he could have had the same results without so many needless bloodshed. In a way it reminds me of Dune's "golden path" except that I don't get that feeling of an iminent threat that justifies everything. If anything the world is no better off. How long before Britannia remnants gather around Cornelia and she leads a rebellion? How long before the former E.U. countries get tired of footing the bill for the former Chinese Federation's starving masses that had them on the brink of collapse? I don't see how the UFN holds together now that the main reason for them banding together is gone. Maybe I' reading too much into it...

Just finished season 2, and you're the ending is fitting. You're also right about the ups and downs and the facepalm moments. It seems to me that if not for some key decisions by Lelouch and his "my way or death" attitude he could have had the same results without so many needless bloodshed. In a way it reminds me of Dune's "golden path" except that I don't get that feeling of an iminent threat that justifies everything. If anything the world is no better off. How long before Britannia remnants gather around Cornelia and she leads a rebellion? How long before the former E.U. countries get tired of footing the bill for the former Chinese Federation's starving masses that had them on the brink of collapse? I don't see how the UFN holds together now that the main reason for them banding together is gone. Maybe I' reading too much into it...

MIght wanna put some spoilers tags there in case anyone else wants to see it.

I think that

the Zero Requiem ending is as much about Lelouch taking responsibility for his deeds as it is for creating a utopian world. He assumes that by concentrating the hatred of the human race on him, his death will then ensure a peaceful future for all. I think he never quite got over what happened to Nunally.

In any case, Suzaku taking over the mantle of Zero is also a sort of fail safe device for the whole plan. Should things go wrong, Zero could once again step to the forefront and sort things out.

I watched Tiger & Bunny the movie at Makuhari.

It was not just a digest, and I was having fun. Politely made, especially other hiroes' activities other than Kotetsu and Barnaby.

The title of this movie is "Tiger & Bunny the Beginning" and the sequel is "Tiger & Bunny the Rising."

lol

"Batman Begins", "The Dark Knight", and "The Dark Knight Rises." Sunrise staffs are apparently aware of the Batman movies. Barnaby's experience of childhood was almost the same as that of Bruce Wayne's.

This one will be screened in San Francisco.

http://www.animenews...n-san-francisco

Edited by antibiotictab

Picked up Requiem for the Phantom real cheap and watched the first episode. Seems like a mix between Bourne and Darker than Black. It's written by the same guy who wrote Madoka and Fate Zero so i have high expectations.

Just got finished watching Fate Zero. Such a great anime, but now I can't bring myself to watch Stay/Night. The animation quality and story just don't seem to match...

No, they really don't. Studio Deen didn't really do a stellar job on Stay Night and the people who played the original visual novel hate the route the adaption. Plus the lead character Shirou is annoying even by shonen anime standards.

FSN is not downright terrible, but if you happened to watch Zero instead, you're bound to be dissappointed.

No, they really don't. Studio Deen didn't really do a stellar job on Stay Night and the people who played the original visual novel hate the route the adaption. Plus the lead character Shirou is annoying even by shonen anime standards.

FSN is not downright terrible, but if you happened to watch Zero instead, you're bound to be dissappointed.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't like Fate Stay/Night. I passed on Zero because of it, and now I think I might have to give Zero a second chance.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't like Fate Stay/Night. I passed on Zero because of it, and now I think I might have to give Zero a second chance.

Yeah, Zero was really good and well animated to boot. Take it from a guy who went in knowing very little about the entire Fate saga background...

Just watched the first episode of Code Geass: Akito of the Exiled. I loved the first code geass, and I'm getting that same awesome vibe from this show as well.

More than anything else though, that first combat scene is amazing in an of itself. The Alexander is a lot more interesting than any lancelot or gurren variant from the original series, that's for sure.

Watching 'Shiki'. There's not that many good horror anime out there and I think this might be one of them. It has a nice, slow pace that build ups the tension and a big cast of characters to spread the dread around. Only thing I don't like so far is the absolutely mad haircuts many of the characters have. They have to be seen to be believed.

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled across an anime called Psycho Pass. It's a pretty good cyberpunk by Production I.G that just started last week. They really have the whole Blade Runner thing nailed with this one. The next Ghost in the Shell if they do one will be really impressive. The animation is beautiful at times and the music is strong. The gun and watches the main characters use are pretty cool stuff. There is an Akira moment that is crazy. I think this show airs almost at the same time here in the U.S (on Funimation) as in Japan. This is how they should have handled Macross Frontier. If the show continues in this manner I can definitely see myself picking it up on Blu-ray along with the soundtrack. I like it so much I think I'm going to watch it again tonight.

thanks for bringing Psycho-Pass to my attention. just watched the first episode and found it promising. i've been jonesing for GiTs like stuff.

now if only there was a recent anime along the vein of Noir.... For a while i thought Canaan would fit the bill, but proved disappointing in the end.

Just realized that the script for Psycho Pass was written by Gen Urobuchi. He's the guy who wrote the excellent Madoka, Fate Zero and Requiem for the Phantom (which I'm watching now and is not bad at all) so I'm gonna give it a try too.

Anyone caught episode 15 of Muv Luv Total Eclipse? They have some nice looking mecha in this series and have the whole 'team developing a weapons platform' story going on, so despite the uneven animation and all the national stereotyping, it could be appealing for a lot of Macross fans.

Psycho-Pass Episode 2. A very slow episode compared to the opening. But maybe necessary. I might stop watching the show and pick up the Blu-ray down the line. The animation is really high quality and I know I'm missing out watching online. The scene in Akane's room should be seen in HD. Not just the shower fan service scene but all the virtual stuff going on.

I just recently started watching Special Armored Battalion Dorvack. Sadly, it's not subtitled, but I'm still enjoying it so far. I remember actually finding the model kits for the series in a local hobby shop back in the 80s a few years before I was aware of anime.

I just recently started watching Special Armored Battalion Dorvack. Sadly, it's not subtitled, but I'm still enjoying it so far. I remember actually finding the model kits for the series in a local hobby shop back in the 80s a few years before I was aware of anime.

If I remember correctly a couple of the toys ended up being released in the original G1 transformers line, alongside Microman, Diaclone, macross, and what ever company originally put out Omega Supreme, and Shockwave.