What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I've realized that the key to enjoying King Gainer is to watch it as a comedy. Then it becomes a blast, specially episode 17 which has one of the funniest scenes ever.

Oh, and Psycho-pass continues to impress. Really good stuff. If you are missing the lack of series like Ghost in the Shell, check it out.

I'm checking out the Urusei Yatsura films. I watched some of the series ages ago. I'm actually pretty impressed with how good they are despite the limitations of some the characters (Ataru is the most annoying male MC ever). The second one in particular, "Beautiful Dreamer" is astonishing. Skilfully constructed with some beautiful imagery, the slapstick comedy of the series is toned down and the characters developed more. And you can tell how it influenced Haruhi Suzumiya,

The films premise of the characters being caught up in Lum's dream world of endless repetition, is eerily similar to HS, specially the Endless Eight arc

Oh, and it's directed by Mamoru Oshii himself before he made Patlabor and Ghost in the Shell which I thought was pretty neat.

I've realized that the key to enjoying King Gainer is to watch it as a comedy. Then it becomes a blast, specially episode 17 which has one of the funniest scenes ever.

Oh, and Psycho-pass continues to impress. Really good stuff. If you are missing the lack of series like Ghost in the Shell, check it out.

so what do you think of Psycho-pass so far?

so what do you think of Psycho-pass so far?

I'm still enjoying it. I like the premise of the show and the how they have carefully constructed the world and the technology that is available to the characters. At first I though that it was going to be a series with a "villain of the week" kind of approach but it isn't really, and the plot seems to be carefully constructed. And it's mercifully free of panty shots or needless moe characters.

I really can't help you with the Gunbuster translations thing. Have you tried contacting any of the groups that have done fansubs of Gunbuster before? Maybe they can help you.

I finished watching the Urusei Yatsura movies which were quite a mixed bunch, but satisfying nevertheless. The Mamoru Oshii ones, specially Beautiful Dreamer were pretty good.

I got a couple of Hellsing Ultimate BD's as a present and I'm gonna watch them next.

• 2 weeks later...

just finished watching Cowboy Bebop. wasn't planning a marathon but it ended up being so.

man, why did i pass up on this when a friend lent me his DVDs many years ago?

edit: now i gotta find myself a Faye Valentine figure. any PVC or GK recommendations?

Edited by Major Focker

just finished watching Cowboy Bebop. wasn't planning a marathon but it ended up being so.

man, why did i pass up on this when a friend lent me his DVDs many years ago?

Better late than never!

Actually tomorrow the Cowboy Bebop Bluray Box is being released in Japan. It's absolutely packed full of goodies.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/COWBOY-BEBOP-Blu-ray-BOX-%E5%88%9D%E5%9B%9E%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E7%89%88/dp/B008RFNCIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355995323&sr=8-1

I really hope that someone picks it up for a similar release somewhere in the West. Now that's a release outside of Macross that I would pay top dollar for.

Been marathoning Eureka 7 AO. Everything just keeps reminding me of NGE, but it manages to hold its own.

Do yourself a favor, stop, just stop. If you want a decent Eva knock-off, watch Rahxephon. If you want to watch Eureka Seven, watch Eureka Seven. AO will just break your heart.

Yeah, I kind of lost interest after the Japanese military started harrassing the headquarters. Reminded me too much of End of Evangelion.

If Eureka Seven is a better offering, then I'll switch to that then.

Better offering is an understatement. There is no comparison. Do watch it instead of AO.

Started watching Psycho Pass and I love the whole minority report vibe!

Also watching Brave 10 and really liked the first season of Btooom

Just cant get into Maji tho

Watching Another.

This show is creepy. Really freakishly creepy. Like how one of the students accidentally got impaled by falling onto an umbrella in the most "Final Destination" way.

Yeah Loved that show. Scared the crap out of me and its a CARTOON!

Getting through Sword Art Online, and so far, it's been really fun, albeit, a bit weird at times (getting married, etc. (you'll understand if you watch it)). I gotta say that although it's kept up a decent pace, things are starting to drop off around episode 15, and I don't like the direction it's going. Guess I'll have to finish it before judging it completely though.

Watching Another.

This show is creepy. Really freakishly creepy. Like how one of the students accidentally got impaled by falling onto an umbrella in the most "Final Destination" way.

I thought it was a pretty good horror anime too. They do a good job of setting the mood. Wish they did more like this one.

Check out "Shiki" one day. It's not pure horror like "Another" is, but is pretty good in its own way.

I thought it was a pretty good horror anime too. They do a good job of setting the mood. Wish they did more like this one.

Check out "Shiki" one day. It's not pure horror like "Another" is, but is pretty good in its own way.

Ghost Hunt was one of those you just don't watch alone at night.

Nekomonogatari was a pretty good return to form for the -monogatari series after the dissapointing Nisemonogatari. Neko delivers the same insane visuals, weird dialogue and violent combat as Bakemono and adds a bucketload of fanservice to the mix.

I started watching Aria: The Animation because I found a lot of good reviews on it, but 3 chapters in I'm not impressed. It's pretty boring and I'm told not to expect any more to it that the same sedate pace and storytelling all the way along. Anyone seen it and got good things to say about it?

Ghost Hunt was one of those you just don't watch alone at night.

That one was surprisingly scary (and had some really good character interaction to boot). The show I found the most frightening has to be Mouryou no Hako.

Nekomonogatari was a pretty good return to form for the -monogatari series after the dissapointing Nisemonogatari. Neko delivers the same insane visuals, weird dialogue and violent combat as Bakemono and adds a bucketload of fanservice to the mix.

I started watching Aria: The Animation because I found a lot of good reviews on it, but 3 chapters in I'm not impressed. It's pretty boring and I'm told not to expect any more to it that the same sedate pace and storytelling all the way along. Anyone seen it and got good things to say about it?

I think what helped Nekomonogatari was its short format. It didn't allow for as much indulgence into things outside the main story.

I've tried reading the Aria manga, and I don't get its popularity either. The characters didn't do anything for me and the setting (the part the fans usually rave about) was unoriginal and uninteresting.

I think what helped Nekomonogatari was its short format. It didn't allow for as much indulgence into things outside the main story.

I've tried reading the Aria manga, and I don't get its popularity either. The characters didn't do anything for me and the setting (the part the fans usually rave about) was unoriginal and uninteresting.

I actually ended up dropping Aria halfway through. I need more 'something' in my shows, be it drama, comedy, horror, action, mecha, randomness, sex or what you might want to call it. I'm picked up Gun & Sword instead (by the same guy who did Planetes and Code Geass).

You make a good point about Nekomonogatari. The brevity of the show was a definite plus in this case. BTW, SHAFT's new show Sasami-san@Ganbaranai is starting tomorrow

L-Gaim subbed on youtube.

I wasn't sure if I'd keep watching, but you do fall in love with the crazy characters, much like Mospeada.

It was far more of a comedy than I expected.

Love some of Mamoru Nagano's later designs for this series, none of which appeared until ep. 17, the Bat-Shu.

See why Nagano was disappointed with what he did in L-Gaim because all the beginning mecha design STINK IMO. Some of the worst I've seen. I could not believe how bad they were and I got impatient waiting for the good mecha I've seen around to appear.

He must have really got his groove on later in the series and that's what inspired him to refine that style for FSS.

Around ep.15 its picked up and now I'm on 18.

Looking forward to seeing the Mark II and the Temple Guards...

post-8486-0-98223100-1357851228_thumb.jpg

Do yourself a favor, stop, just stop. If you want a decent Eva knock-off, watch Rahxephon. If you want to watch Eureka Seven, watch Eureka Seven. AO will just break your heart.

Better offering is an understatement. There is no comparison. Do watch it instead of AO.

I've been considering watching AO. What's so bad about it if you two don't mind me asking?

AO completely ignores the events and character motivations of the original series. Much like Orguss 02, and Macross II, it feels like it was made by someone who watched less than an episode of the original, and tried to fill in the gaps with random crap.

I've been considering watching AO. What's so bad about it if you two don't mind me asking?

Most of what Keith said. One thing that really set them apart for me was that AO's characters were poorly handled and had downright odd resolutions to their personal stories (if any at all!). It just felt like very uninspired writing. It seemed to me that the production team cared more about the setting than about the characters and developing a coherent storyline.

Oh and the soundtrack cannot hold a candle to E7's.

Just finished Dougram. Overall, an excellent show. The politics and characterizations were definitely the highlights of the series. My biggest complaints are the handling of the fights (though the overall war strategies seemed sound), a few annoying characters (well, primarily Giorgio), the poorly thought out attempt to parallel the occupation (sorry Japan, it's not all about you and you are not a victim), and those godawful clothes.

So now I'm left deciding between L-Gaim and Xabungle for the next 80s giant robot series I watch. Anyone want to chime in on this?

AO completely ignores the events and character motivations of the original series. Much like Orguss 02, and Macross II, it feels like it was made by someone who watched less than an episode of the original, and tried to fill in the gaps with random crap.

Most of what Keith said. One thing that really set them apart for me was that AO's characters were poorly handled and had downright odd resolutions to their personal stories (if any at all!). It just felt like very uninspired writing. It seemed to me that the production team cared more about the setting than about the characters and developing a coherent storyline.

Oh and the soundtrack cannot hold a candle to E7's.

Thanks for the heads up you two.

Thanks for the heads up you two.

allow me to add to the do not watch E7 AO list. action is okay. mecha design is meh. moe, low iq characters. and the main character nevre moves beyond emo and whiny renton of the first series. in short i have no desire currently to finish the series.

take Martian Successor Nadesico. remove large chunks of story. take away 99.8% of the humor.take all mecha designs and make them all rejected variants of nirvash. add a splash of rtsc and you will have Eureka 7 AO.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Unlike Macross II, I actually enjoyed Orguss 02! :D

I thought Orguss 02 was quite allright if one thought of it as a standalone series, and not as a sequel of Orguss as such. But the open ending of Orguss does allow a sequel many more possibilities than the E7 did.

I think my avatar makes quite clear where I stand on Macross II.

Dropped Aria about halfway through. It's clearly not for me. Picked up Gun X Sword instead (its by the same guy who did Planetes and Code Geass). So far it's a bit of a mixed bag that reminds me a lot of Trigun.

Edited by Marzan