Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

2 hours ago, NZEOD said:

n45 5x3mm magnets

Thanks for the suggestion, NZEOD; I appreciate it. :) However, I'm trying to keep this at the cost of materials that I have on-hand (my better half is already worried about funds and whatnot). Maybe I still have some magnets, I'll have to check. otherwise, going to investigate the other method.

Edited by pengbuzz
misspelling

Pengbuzz if you are after rare earth magnets cheaply, you can get a couple or three out of old hard drives, they have two for the head placement and usually two small ones in laptop drives that are purfect. You need to chat up your local pc repair guy as they'll get loads to just junk. Not sure how it works where you live but our local household refuse centre usually has loads of PCs people have dumped and the workers are happy for you to "borrow" parts once you've asked etc.

You just need to take the drive apart and your good, nice chunk of aluminium left over with at least one shiney coffee coaster too.

11 minutes ago, big F said:

Pengbuzz if you are after rare earth magnets cheaply, you can get a couple or three out of old hard drives, they have two for the head placement and usually two small ones in laptop drives that are purfect. You need to chat up your local pc repair guy as they'll get loads to just junk. Not sure how it works where you live but our local household refuse centre usually has loads of PCs people have dumped and the workers are happy for you to "borrow" parts once you've asked etc.

You just need to take the drive apart and your good, nice chunk of aluminium left over with at least one shiney coffee coaster too.

Sounds good.

Speaking of using old parts... Old VCRs. If you have one, open it up and stand it on its side. Then mount your launch arm base against it. Leaving the center open to the interior will give depth and you can work the interior as a mini dio of a launch bay. If you can get hold of some 1/100 VF-1s, then that would a forced-perspective shadow box. HLJ has them for $17.

https://hlj.com/product/WAVMC-55

I know money is tight, but it could be a long term upgrade for the display.

Or, you could print up a picture like these, have a bit of detail at the 'front' of the display and have something like these in behind the added detail.

fast-pack.jpg

b24740bd68cfba6d3e4d23cb39b2bdc6.jpg

58ceb0451af36_Macross-VF-1-2.thumb.jpg.e554f59fcc43758478c43c7506fc1e35.jpg58ceb07839d23_MacrossSuperValkyrieVF-1.thumb.jpg.be378480c8d86b6cefa8cdca9fa41d3b.jpg

Edited by Thom

Talking about old VCR's...I take whatever dies and strip it of whatever I think I may need later.  That keeps things clean and keeps me from being a hoarder:D

Built a simple gear case from recycled gears and styrene for the two radars (surface and combination search).  Stuck that into the mast sealed forever and added some more details to include the SATCOM antennas with optronics to the mast too.  Then built an illuminating radar (illuminates targets for missiles to home in on) from spares and added a few more details.  Hopefully It'll have some weapons soon other than the placeholder turret. - MT

0313171518c.jpg

0319171555b.jpg

0319171555d.jpg

0319171556.jpg

Lots going on over here this weekend! Found a new outstanding panel line wash that just hit the shelves down here.. this stuff is epic. Gotta use it as it's intended, not a slather the whole kit down kinda wash,! but the results are absolutely great. It is an ENAMEL wash, FYI. Work on the SDF-1 IS proceeding! 

20170319_152702.jpg

20170319_152919.jpg

20170319_152715.jpg

20170319_152812.jpg

20170319_152722.jpg

20170319_152729.jpg

20170319_162259.jpg

Edited by derex3592

5 hours ago, Thom said:

Speaking of using old parts... Old VCRs. If you have one, open it up and stand it on its side. Then mount your launch arm base against it. Leaving the center open to the interior will give depth and you can work the interior as a mini dio of a launch bay. If you can get hold of some 1/100 VF-1s, then that would a forced-perspective shadow box. HLJ has them for $17.

https://hlj.com/product/WAVMC-55

I know money is tight, but it could be a long term upgrade for the display.

Or, you could print up a picture like these, have a bit of detail at the 'front' of the display and have something like these in behind the added detail.

fast-pack.jpg

b24740bd68cfba6d3e4d23cb39b2bdc6.jpg

58ceb0451af36_Macross-VF-1-2.thumb.jpg.e554f59fcc43758478c43c7506fc1e35.jpg58ceb07839d23_MacrossSuperValkyrieVF-1.thumb.jpg.be378480c8d86b6cefa8cdca9fa41d3b.jpg

lol Actually, these are some of the pics I'm working from!

Since the entire thing is going to hang flat against the wall, I cannot do an entire launch bay dio; what I am doing though is a kind of "bas relief" type thing where the detail is being put into a recessed area in the bay.

Current progress:

101_0805.JPG

But yeah; those are some good ideas you and the rest of the gang have, Thom! If I change my mind about this and do a regular standing dio, I may just cut the center out and do a "full-up" hangar bay. And some 1/100 valks in forced perspective would also be a nifty add-on at some point.

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Lots going on over here this weekend! Found a new outstanding panel line wash that just hit the shelves down here.. this stuff is epic. Gotta use it as it's intended, not a slather the whole kit down kinda wash,! but the results are absolutely great. It is an ENAMEL wash, FYI. Work on the SDF-1 IS proceeding! 

20170319_152702.jpg

20170319_152919.jpg

20170319_152715.jpg

20170319_152812.jpg

20170319_152722.jpg

20170319_152729.jpg

20170319_162259.jpg

I'm going to have to try that stuff sometime! Looks like it did a fantastic job on the panel work for your models, Derex!

I have that panel line wash. Comes in real handy. I used it to hit the recessed areas on my Kirishima. Nice stuff, it just flows into the recesses. That Republic Star Destroyer is looking good too!

That flight of valks are coming along nice and quick. Sure to make a nice display. In fact, they look awesome just as they are!

And PB, I think that launch arm'll probably be done by lunch time Sunday at the pace you're going!:D

They are all destined for the Hallway Display cases. Up to 36 cases now, already gone down the hall and up the otherside so now onto the second row below.

As to hoarding useful junk, I strip printer copiers for the scanner carriage mechanism to use to open the Hangar Bay doors and to move the Launch Arm into and out of the hangar. Its a couple of guide rods and a belt drive.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

I have that panel line wash. Comes in real handy. I used it to hit the recessed areas on my Kirishima. Nice stuff, it just flows into the recesses. That Republic Star Destroyer is looking good too!

That flight of valks are coming along nice and quick. Sure to make a nice display. In fact, they look awesome just as they are!

And PB, I think that launch arm'll probably be done by lunch time Sunday at the pace you're going!:D

LOL! Well, my secret is... MASKING TAPE. I found that when it is lightly sanded with 400-grit paper and then treated with Krylon Crystal Clear, the clearcoat seeps into it and hardens, making it far more resilient and durable. It also adheres it to the surface for pretty much eternity! That allows me to work a lot more quickly on projects that need detailing.

But as far as "lunch time sunday"...it's Sunday 6pm where I am now. :D Admittedly, i do have a Tardis, but it's only a wooden one and about 6 inches tall. :p

2 hours ago, NZEOD said:

Last nights assembly line

IMG_20170319_2006271_zpssyuovafi.jpg

IMG_20170319_1910471_zpseznhukc4.jpg

IMG_20170319_2006131_zpsybowslkz.jpg

Add another 3 white base VF-1 kits to the production line. Now building enmasse 2 VF-1J Delta's, a VF-1A Production Run 001, a VF-1A Production Run 5000, a VF-1J 30th Anniversary and a VF-1 Minmay Special

...and the Hasegawa SV-626Ba arrived today...

5 hours ago, MechTech said:

Talking about old VCR's...I take whatever dies and strip it of whatever I think I may need later.  That keeps things clean and keeps me from being a hoarder:D

Built a simple gear case from recycled gears and styrene for the two radars (surface and combination search).  Stuck that into the mast sealed forever and added some more details to include the SATCOM antennas with optronics to the mast too.  Then built an illuminating radar (illuminates targets for missiles to home in on) from spares and added a few more details.  Hopefully It'll have some weapons soon other than the placeholder turret. - MT

0313171518c.jpg

0319171555b.jpg

0319171555d.jpg

0319171556.jpg

Every time I see your progress on this MT, my jaw just drops in sheer amazement! :o:o:o

Thanks Pengbuzz!  I'm just catching up on all this weekend's builds here.  Your diorama is looking good!  The perspective in the artwork is a nice touch. - MT

I think it's the box art that always grabs me on those old Macross kits, but the amount of work to make them look good kills me. So many pieces that don't line up or are slightly sunken along with so many seams to putty and so much paint masking.

The fit is actually very good on this kit, well... the 2 kits I've had to purchase.. LOL.. but it's the masking and painting of white next to dark colors that is always a very hard challenge for me especially with Macross kits, but as I've mentioned, because of my history with this kit, it WILL be completed to the best of my ability! Onwards! 

20170320_150945.jpg

6 hours ago, MechTech said:

Thanks Pengbuzz!  I'm just catching up on all this weekend's builds here.  Your diorama is looking good!  The perspective in the artwork is a nice touch. - MT

NP MT! And thanks; the artwork I wasn't sure about until this morning when I could get a good look at it. It still needs a few more things. That said, I started the "Light Arm" for the launch dio:

101_0811.JPG

101_0812.JPG

Generally, I'm following the basic plans for the Launch Arm and Light Arm, but I'm taking a few liberties on both. i figure while it's important to have all the major details on them, that I can get a little creative and vary slightly. :)

Edited by pengbuzz

you can change it up anyway you want, as, just like real world ships, even the same class vessels have changes and improvements made as each is built and even through out its service life, so no two ARMD Carriers would likely be identical to the day ARMD 1 first floated out of spacedock.

29 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

you can change it up anyway you want, as, just like real world ships, even the same class vessels have changes and improvements made as each is built and even through out its service life, so no two ARMD Carriers would likely be identical to the day ARMD 1 first floated out of spacedock.

You know, you've got an excellent point there, NZEOD! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! :D

Sorry if I sounded a little defensive there; just want to make sure I'm not going outside the norms for this.

11 minutes ago, Thom said:

The perspective is looking good there PB!

Derex, that SDF is looking great. Bringing back fond memories.

Thanks Thom! And that SDF is looking really awesome Derex! I remember building the Revell "Attack Fortress" version, which I'd love to get again someday.

A bit more progress on this (the plastic-coated foam blind slats I harvested really help in making this zip along):

101_0813.JPG

Edited by pengbuzz

pretty good for a scratch build!'

Anyone know where the twin RMS launcher rails come from?

I have boxes and boxes of the 1/72 Hasegawa weapons packs and its not in there so I'm guessing from the Bandai ones?

o0500037512540615135.jpg

300px-VF-1S-Strike-Valkyrie-01.jpg

Assuming they can be bought in 1/72 scale?

Edited by NZEOD

2 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

pretty good for a scratch build!'

Anyone know where the twin RMS launcher rails come from?

I have boxes and boxes of the 1/72 Hasegawa weapons packs and its not in there so I'm guessing from the Bandai ones?

300px-VF-1S-Strike-Valkyrie-01.jpg

Assuming they can be bought in 1/72 scale?

I had to make my own (along with the RMS') when I decided to mount them to my valk. But that's a good question about where they come from.

there are two Bandai weapon kits, the Strike pack and Super Pack... neither show the twin mounts on the box art BUT the photo I posted previously above is supposed to be the parts layout as shown at a tradeshow of the Strike pack.

Reason for the question is the Strike pack is 1700yen, the Super pack is on sale at HLJ for 800yen so if its in there I may grab 5 or 6 packs for that price.

I'll have a ton of unwanted strike packs and leg tanks too if anyone wants them.

9 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

there are two Bandai weapon kits, the Strike pack and Super Pack... neither show the twin mounts on the box art BUT the photo I posted previously above is supposed to be the parts layout as shown at a tradeshow of the Strike pack.

Reason for the question is the Strike pack is 1700yen, the Super pack is on sale at HLJ for 800yen so if its in there I may grab 5 or 6 packs for that price.

I'll have a ton of unwanted strike packs and leg tanks too if anyone wants them.

I'm sure folks here would love to get a few spares NZEOD.