Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I guess the BIGGEST factor to me is EASE OF PURCHASE. Down here in good old Texas the two hobby shops that still exist pretty much ONLY sell acrylics nowadays. If I want lacquers or enamels, I have to go online and wait for them to ship.Ā 

Iā€™m a bit surprised that the hobby shops around here have been getting lacquer paints more , probably since the gundam hobby has gotten more popular. Hobby town has a lot of Bandai products and have stared carrying mr color and some of the tamiya lacquer paints. It may also be that model master died as an enamel provider.

UPDATE:

We almost have the apartment situation taken care of: the good news is that it's in a much quieter neighborhood, and the rent is dropping by a LOT!!

Which means: more money and better models!!! šŸ˜(and not having to scrounge or ask for help!)

So with that said: going to be rebuilding the Macross Launch Arm Diorama:

100_0908.thumb.JPG.1eeacbaefe532292f4fae0032c077db2.JPG100_0909.thumb.JPG.c6608e0fe670ec5d39143da82591ddaf.JPG

I'd like to take this one a bit beyond the original seen here; I just have to rebuild the bay/ wall plaque, and was thinking of lights and perhaps doing the bay out in full somehow.

Any ideas, folks? (don't be shy!)

In other news: the move is at the end of August, so in a few weeks, I won't be on here for a bit but we should be fully moved in by the 2nd week of September. After that, this and several new projects will be coming (along with resurrecting my airbrush!)

Stay tuned...

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

UPDATE:

We almost have the apartment situation taken care of: the good news is that it's in a much quieter neighborhood, and the rent is dropping by a LOT!!

Which means: more money and better models!!! šŸ˜(and not having to scrounge or ask for help!)

100_0908.thumb.JPG.1eeacbaefe532292f4fae0032c077db2.JPG100_0909.thumb.JPG.c6608e0fe670ec5d39143da82591ddaf.JPG

I'd like to take this one a bit beyond the original seen here; I just have to rebuild the bay/ wall plaque, and was thinking of lights and perhaps doing the bay out in full somehow.

In other news: the move is at the end of August, so in a few weeks, I won't be on here for a bit but we should be fully moved in by the 2nd week of September. After that, this and several new projects will be coming (along with resurrecting my airbrush!)

Stay tuned...

Glad to hear the news. Sounds like youā€™re moving on to a better place.

12 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

UPDATE:

Stay tuned...

Glad to hear things are finally getting better for you! You've always hung in there like a champ, Mr. 'buzz. We've seen your imagination funded by dreams and pocket change, so it'll be great to see what you come up with now. :good:

The RETURN OF THE...PENG! hahaha- Get it?

Ā 

Anywhooo... finished up the USS TEXAS Virginia Class Attack Sub...(If you haven't ready about these things, check out some videos on YT, they are amazing machines! Run by AN X-BOX controller and no I'm not making that up!) Full beauty shots later on, also I got my 3D seat harnesses in and the F5-E cockpit finished up just about the same time I found a PILOT on the sprue way off to the side that wasn't in the instructions! DOH!Ā :wacko:

20230721_084832.jpg

20230721_084838.jpg

20230721_191927.jpg

20230721_191942.jpg

20230721_192740.jpg

12 hours ago, Thom said:

Glad to hear things are finally getting better for you! You've always hung in there like a champ, Mr. 'buzz. We've seen your imagination funded by dreams and pocket change, so it'll be great to see what you come up with now. :good:

Thanks Thom! Yeah, once we get settled and get some stuff paid down, October should look like a much better month. Will have to get the painting situation with my models squared away (apartment building and all), but I'll find a way. Some stuff that I'd really like to do (including that SDF-1 Bridge build with Gobal and Misa, and make the rest of the Bridge Bunnies!) coming up, and finally having the finances to do it right!

That reminds me also: I have a pair of F-4 Phatoms in 1/72 (you know the ones :) ) that I was thinking of using as the base for a custom-design starfighter. We'll have to see how things go...

The RETURN OF THE...PENG! hahaha- Get it?

Yup! :D *cue RotJ Main Title*

Ā 

Anywhooo... finished up the USS TEXAS Virginia Class Attack Sub...(If you haven't ready about these things, check out some videos on YT, they are amazing machines! Run by AN X-BOX controller and no I'm not making that up!) Full beauty shots later on, also I got my 3D seat harnesses in and the F5-E cockpit finished up just about the same time I found a PILOT on the sprue way off to the side that wasn't in the instructions! DOH!Ā :wacko:

20230721_084832.jpg

20230721_084838.jpg

Really liking the work on your F-5E cockpit! That harness just sells it! That control panel.... is that a 3D decal or is that painted? If the latter...your eyes must be hurting ya! lol Seriously...nice work!

20230721_191927.jpg

20230721_191942.jpg

20230721_192740.jpg

Your USS Texas looks like it was pulled straight from a photo shoot at General Dynamics Electric Boat Shipyards Groton, here in Connecticut!

@MechTechĀ I was a little afraid of the NEON green too, but man, if you look at the pictures of these things after years in the water, the green algae build up at the waterline is a thing! I made it shift from bright green to light brown to darker brown as you go down the side of the hull under the water line. Better pics tonight!

LA Class USS Greeneville reporting in.....I haven't decided whether or not to "water weather" this one yet. I did one, so I might leave this one and the other LA Class "clean" Had to use the PE main prop on this one as my furry little helper kitty got a hold of the kit supplied plastic one and munched it to DEATH....šŸ˜ :rolleyes:

20230730_182728.jpg

20230730_182749.jpg

20230730_182800.jpg

20230730_183235.jpg

20230730_183252.jpg

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

LA Class USS Greeneville reporting in.....I haven't decided whether or not to "water weather" this one yet. I did one, so I might leave this one and the other LA Class "clean" Had to use the PE main prop on this one as my furry little helper kitty got a hold of the kit supplied plastic one and munched it to DEATH....šŸ˜ :rolleyes:

20230730_182728.jpg

20230730_182749.jpg

20230730_182800.jpg

20230730_183235.jpg

20230730_183252.jpg

I think helper kitty was trying to let you know that the plastic one wasnā€™t going be as cool as the pe one

@derex3592 Your sub looks GREAT! My ship has suffered from feline plastitackus too. Styrene is just so cool to work withĀ  - and munch on evidently!? Maybe that's why plastic spoons are mostly made from it? - MT

"She's a Supertweet, Supertweet; she's supertweety, yahwl!" That looks awesome @electric indigo! I bet the original never looked that good! I mean that in the best possible way too. Smaller air forces aren't always so nice to their aircraft šŸ˜ - MT

Sunday funday update: Since feline #2 decided to knock off Enterprise B off my desk and pop off the nacelles part last night, (apparently I never glued that part in thankfully) I took the opportunity to rectify a 3 year old mistake that had been bothering me every time I looked at my 7 little Enterprises, so with the help of my small Tamiya razor saw, I sawed off the crooked engine pylones at the bend and put them back on straight! Whooo Hoo. Scotty would be proud! No more leaaaaning Ent B engines! Next I drilled out the port holes on the Texas and got the decks down and then played around and assembled a little of the superstructure. The decks were a bit of a pain to get down, but all in all, I must say, so far, Trumpeter has made a great kit. Then we had nuclear VEAPONS loading onto the Typhoon this afternoon! šŸ˜Ā 

20230806_115514.jpg

20230806_111830.jpg

20230731_210015.jpg

20230806_165204.jpg

20230806_170653.jpg

Workbench stuff!

I didnā€˜t have time or space to go on with modell kits in the past weeks/months, so I got this for 2.62ā‚¬ from the TEMU online store Temu is some Ali Express style china store. They had a new customer promotion, so instead of 30ā‚¬ I got it for 2.62ā‚¬.

PS: no advertisement for the store, because everything else (if not promoted) is just the same stuff as on Ali Express.

Anyway, this was worth every little cent.

IMG_1858.jpeg.21236ea272f6462a175efec3883b1cfe.jpeg

IMG_1857.jpeg.15e23ec561a911466669d059d7816cf9.jpeg

Hey @electric indigo that camo and weathering variation on the paint is just superb!!!Ā  Looks so good, its it all freehand - black pre-shading underneath with white random sprays and then sprayed each camo green over that pre-shading without overlapping?!?!Ā  Amazing!

Is that a Tiger Eurocopter?Ā  Which 1/72 kit is that?

@MechTech@wm cheng@derex3592 Thanks for the flowers! Here's a pic of the machine that inspired me to do this scheme:

f8eTRSu.jpg

I did not replicate the paintovers where they apparently used what was available...

After seeing my meticulously applied pre-shading work disappear under the color coat in the past, I simplified my process in that I start with a uniform dark grey (faster to cover than pure black) and then apply the camo colors, loosely staying away from the panel lines. Color separations where masked with blu tac, which I find more relaxing than freehand painting. I only mask one area at a time, since the kit is easier to handle that way.

To keep an in-scale appearance, only a few selected panel lines or recesses where accentuated with thinned black Gouache.

-

The helicopter is the 1/48 WZ-10.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by electric indigo