MW. Hong Kong Shopathon Jan 2004.

Sebastian

Any chance if there are more MW polo shirts to be sold in the near future? Not necesseraly MW Hong Kong Shopathon ones, that is a special only for the participants themselves. A similar design with the small Macross kite at the front and at the back the GBP and without the Shopathon would be nice.

If they only cost HK$ 6 per polo, I'd pay US$ 6-10 for it excl. shipping. :)

Edited by Wabbit

I want to thank Graham for hosting and guiding the ratpack of MWers through the busy streets of Hong Kong, answering all of our pesky questions, and not getting mad at us for doing stupid but fun things!

THANK YOU GRAHAM for making this trip so memorable.

I also want to say that it was great meeting everyone.

Recon: Super nice guy and I'm glad to have met you and your wife. If you still want that TF set from CTMA, pm me and I'll try my best to help you.

Lazyman: thanks for being our local guide and helping everyone. I felt bad we cut into your personal time but I'll buy you a drink the next time we meet up.

Sebastian: Man you are too funny and have a great personality. Kept me laughing most of the time and take care of your beautiful family.

Guppy: Did you think you bought enough this time? You know you and your girl have a total of 4 arms and can stuff more into your luggage right? Let us know when you land in HK again! I think all of the toy shops are going to welcome you with open arms! :D

Deadzone: Cool to meet you and funny how we lived so close to each other (both sides of the globe) but didn't meet until now. By the time you read this, I hope you have all those valuables stuffed in your luggage and on your way or already back home.

XSToys: Well, what can I say? Really, what can I say? Haha... Great meeting you and your wife/gf. I hope you had a great time. It was entertaining talking to you and regardless of what Sebastian wrote in all of the public men's restroom, you're a cool guy.

Oh yeh, All MWes on the tour can PM privately me to exchange for hires pictures.

Hey Neova,

Great Write up!!

Nice meeting ya too as well as the rest of the gang. Gosh Sebastian and Guppy are just such jokers, they keep cracking me up time and again..boy you two have really a wondeful haul during this trip. Hey Graham, thanks for sparing us your time in giving a splendid and wonderful tour of the toy shops in HK, it really gives me new found knowledge and experience in regards to the wide range of toys shops available in the local market. Hey Xtoys, its being great knowing ya, hope to see your awesome collection sometime in the future. Hey Neova, you are really a cool guy, no worries about the TF, i can get time the next time im in HK. Hey lazyman, nice meeting, thanks for the hospitality and assistance offered. Thanks to you and Neova in coming back for me when i was lost in the midst of the Sat crowd. Hey Deadzone, its being swell to meet you even though i didnt get much of a chance and opportunity to chat with ya.

These are great memories that i will hold in me for a long time as it aint every time that a bunch of crazy toy MWers get togather together to talk, eat, drink about toys. Hope to see such an event being organised again in the near future..hmm maybe japan?

Cheers

:o

Any shirts left for me?

I will be glad to pay for shipping charges, shirts, and "handling charges" ;)

How I hate myself for not being able to go!

I will like to thank you all for making this HK shopathon such a memorable event.

I really enjoyed meeting you guys and I really had a GREAT time.

Graham.

Thanks for been our guide, thanks for the T Shirts, thanks for NOT shearing any Yamato´s secrets with us...

And CONGRATULATIONS to your wife and you for the Baby Boy!!! GRAHAM IS GONNA BE A DADDY! :D

Neova.

Man you are Funny! too bad you vanished from the restorant the last day with Tony :ph34r: I went to the toilet and you guys where not there anymore. Too bad I could say goodbye to you :( . Anyways Im sure we will meet again in HK, or if you ever come to Shanghai please remember you have a place to stay.

TONY.

You made fun at me the whole Shopathon <_< ... you will be punished as soon as you return to Shanghai. April right?

This time please stay a couple of days at my place!

You still own me HK 175 by the way :p

Lazyman.

Thanks a LOT for your help! Is good to know I can bother you again next time I go to HK!! Yepeeeee! I am sure Graham is happy to not bee the only Toy Shop Guide in HK.

Deadzone.

It was great to go shopping with you, you are quiet but really kind... not like me... Loud and annoying. :p

Did you got the Super 1J at the end or not? What about the Imai Alpha?

By the way. Next time bring some paper in your backpack.... hehehehehe

Recon.

Iam SURE you will never forget the Shopathon! Your wife will take care of reminding you how she suffer for ours and ours while you where spending the savings in toys with that bunch of freaks! :lol::p

Thanks for the Airbrush advices, I will PM you for more info.

If you ever come to Shanghai, please let me know. And no problem, here are no toy shops at all... ;)

Guppy.

It was really nice to finally meet Nicky and you... after two years chatting. :blink:

You where exactly as I pictured... a total weirdo!!

I just hope we can see each other again, maybe Australia, Shanghai or Southamerica.

Take care of your nicky, she is a beautifull girl.

I will miss you :(

THANKS GUYS!!!!

So what kind of deals did you guys get??? :ph34r: Can you let us know in US dollars? If not hen HK dollar is fine.

Inqiring minds want to know. I would like to visit Hong Kong and am courious as to the price difference (not considering shipping of course). Is it woth the trip from the US?

No "I cought a fish that was this big" type stories.. Ha Ha! :lol:

Well, we saw the 1/48 Hikaru VF-1A reissue for HK$580 and the 1/48 Max VF-1A for HK$599, which is pretty cheap.

We also found the Yamato VF-11B FP & YF-21FP for HK$299, which is a good price.

We also found the Bandai reissue 1/55 VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1S Focker and VF-1A CF for only HK$220 each.

And not that I care about those yucky Tranny toys :p , but some members here do, so IIRC, the Takara Masterpeice Convoy was HK$680 and the neutered US version Optimus was HK$450 (I think).

Graham

Well, we saw the 1/48 Hikaru VF-1A reissue for HK$580 and the 1/48 Max VF-1A for HK$599, which is pretty cheap.

We also found the Bandai reissue 1/55 VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1S Focker and VF-1A CF for only HK$220 each.

And not that I care about those yucky Tranny toys, but some members here do, so IIRC, the Takara Masterpeice Convoy was HK$680 and the neutered US version Optimus was HK$450 (I think).

Graham

Yucky Tranny toys??? How many beers did you have? :p

J/K

And not that I care about those yucky Tranny toys :p , but some members here do, so IIRC, the Takara Masterpeice Convoy was HK$680 and the neutered US version Optimus was HK$450 (I think).

Graham

Someprices I remember

Guppy paid 580 HK$ for the Elint and ostich set 8USD79). :o

The Elint was 350 (US 47,5) and the ostrich 250 (US 34). :blink:

The MPC Optimus US version was at 450 HK$ (USD 61) and the Japanese Ver was 680 (USD 92,4).

Escaflowne was going for 400 HK$ (USD 54).

Dancougar SOC HK$ 1600 (USD 217)

Studio Nue Powered Armor HK 50 :blink::o USD 6,8

Super VF 1J HK 980 USD 133

Metal Material Strike Gundam (sword and cannon ver) HK 528 USD 71,7.

Excellent pictures guys! It looks like you guys had a BLAST. Now, where are the pictures of drunken Macrossworld members after a night of too much digital karaoke, YOSHINOL, and Valkyrie hunting?

Suprisingly the prices for Yammies, Transformers, and Gundams aren't THAT MUCH different than here (ARE THEY). Whew. :ph34r:

To whom it may concern...

The prices are significantly lower than here in Atlanta, GA.

Non-FP 1/48's are $140 compared to HK $77 difference = $63 or 45% lower

1/60's are $65 compared to HK $38.51 difference = $26.49 or 41% lower

Bandai 1/55's are $65 compared to HK $28 difference = $37 or 57% lower

Japanese MP Convoy $108 compared to HK $88 difference $20 or 19% lower

The US prices I quoted were from Bigbadtoystore.com. I am sure Americans on the West Coast can get better deals than I can since they are much closer to Japan/China.

Those Hong Kong prices are great!. :o

Thanks for the other quotes Sebastian. I scored a Dancouga on EBAY for $207, What a Deal! B))

Heh, that looked pretty fun. Hopefully I'll be able to do one if this becomes semi-regular.

Wow those are great prices. Do u guys have to pay customs or anything?

Do u guys have to pay customs or anything?

I don't know about Australia or Canada but the US has a 1400 USD allowance where no custom charges (tax) will be applied PER PERSON for items you had purchased outside of the country. So bring big empty luggage and friends to "spread" the wealth. :D

You can declare less too but that would be bordering on... inappropriateness... Or just peel the price tags off. :D

I'm finally back from holidays! I've been gone since December 13. It's kinda depressing to be back at work but I'm coping! ;) It was great meeting you guys and putting faces to the names. thanks to graham for showing us around. I would NEVER have found all those great places without you guy's knowledge.

I had a BALL at the shopathon! HK is like one HUGE shopping centre! I went crazy buying stuff. I went even crazier trying to fit it into my bag and carry-on luggage to take on the plane! I stuffed a lot of my toy purchases into the 1/48 1j box and when it went through the customs x-ray machine they cracked up laughing! :lol:

I bought:

1/48 super 1j

MPC optimus

binaltech smokescreen

yammie 11b fastpack, ostrich, elint

1/48 fastpack set

1/65 bandai stealth valkyrie

K&M regult gashapon toy

SD Kampher

Cowboy bebop swordfish kit

MG patlabor reactive armor kit

MG gelgoog production kit

HGUC xeukiens kit

PG green Zaku kit

HG L-gaim kit

.. and sailor moon figures (for my little cousin!! I swear! )

there's a few things I can't remember but that's mostly it! I love the thrill of spending money! ;)

PS - I didn't pay customs. What customs guy is gonna know the real price for a 1/48? He'll just look at it and think 'it's a toy, worth 10 bucks.'

I'm finally back from holidays! I've been gone since December 13. It's kinda depressing to be back at work but I'm coping! ;) It was great meeting you guys and putting faces to the names. thanks to graham for showing us around. I would NEVER have found all those great places without you guy's knowledge.

I had a BALL at the shopathon! HK is like one HUGE shopping centre! I went crazy buying stuff. I went even crazier trying to fit it into my bag and carry-on luggage to take on the plane! I stuffed a lot of my toy purchases into the 1/48 1j box and when it went through the customs x-ray machine they cracked up laughing! :lol:

I bought:

1/48 super 1j

MPC optimus

binaltech smokescreen

yammie 11b fastpack, ostrich, elint

1/48 fastpack set

1/65 bandai stealth valkyrie

K&M regult gashapon toy

SD Kampher

Cowboy bebop swordfish kit

MG patlabor reactive armor kit

MG gelgoog production kit

HGUC xeukiens kit

PG green Zaku kit

HG L-gaim kit

.. and sailor moon figures (for my little cousin!! I swear! )

there's a few things I can't remember but that's mostly it! I love the thrill of spending money! ;)

PS - I didn't pay customs. What customs guy is gonna know the real price for a 1/48? He'll just look at it and think 'it's a toy, worth 10 bucks.'

damn that's a lot of swag!! looks like i missed out on some great deals. one of these days...I have to make a trip out to HK and bring some stuff to shang hai to decorate my place. =)

damn that's a lot of swag!! looks like i missed out on some great deals. one of these days...I have to make a trip out to HK and bring some stuff to shang hai to decorate my place. =)

That is what you get for cancelling!!! BWAAAA HA HA HA!!

Now your place will have NO TOYS!

LMK when you arrive!! Remember I will move to a new place, so call me to my mobile or PM / email me.

No toys for you. Come back one year. :p

Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Edited by Anubis

Sorry I am replying so late. I just hooked up my DSL today and got on line. I woke up

at 5:00 in the morning and drove down here to LA. I am very tired and catching a cold so

I'll just say, it was great seeing all you guys and checking out the toy shops in Hong Kong.

Special thanks to Graham and Neova for being our toy tour guides. I'll be posting again soon.

Later... :lol: