Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie Space Wing

Talos

Did anyone here order through HLJ and get a shipping notice yet? I pre-ordered mine way back when it was first announced but haven't got a payment request yet and there stock shows back-ordered...don't know if that means for my order though.

chris

Man... this is a hard book to pick up! It's been "released" by the publisher since the 22nd, people in Kanto and those using the major internet mailing companies have been able to get it before the "official" release date of the 25th, but it's been thinly released elsewhere. Did the publisher print too few in the first run? (In my case, I've spent the past WEEK checking out book stores before finally tracking one down waaay off my beaten path. >.< )

Anyhow, quickie content review:

VF-1 & FAST pack VF-1 in front of various space backgrounds (Mars, etc.) FTW.

Images are much improved. In that they are consistently making me think they are CG renders. Except for one or two which scream "model" to me.

We're given:

4 FAST pack variants (Config. Ver. 1.0 ~ 4.0). 1.0 being nacelle only (presumably atmospheric use only), 2.0 is the standard DYRL/SDFM type, 3.0 is the DYRL VF-1S type, and 4.0 has beefed up FAST packs (larger fuel and munition loads?)

Armoured Valkyrie - with a bunch of variant colourings FTW!

Theory of space combat: looks intriguing, and lots of graphics to go with the text to give just enough of a hint to be frustrated that reading it means translating it. >.<

VT-1/VE-1: a bit disappointing. Only 4 pages, with over half of each images.

A few more pages than last time dedicated to Battroid and GERWALK modes, not to mention a bunch of stuff on the transformation system.

Long Voyage looks interesting: going by the images, a space shuttle fuel tank was strapped to a VF-1, and it was sent on a gravity-boosted trip to Saturn and back. Trip starting in 2009.05 and ending in 2025! The VF-1 looks pretty beat up after the end of the trip. Oh, it's apparently done on autopilot. ;)

VF-1X, VF-1P: text, stats and images. Seeing one of 'em flying with a pair of Regults in UN Spacy paint is intriguing. Nostalgic and intriguing.

Some new armaments are introduced: GU-11D (see VF-3000), a bunch of new AAM-1 variants and anti-ship missiles (using the paveway system?!?) Oh, the VF-1P goes back to 3 hardpoints per wing.

VF Genealogy 2011-2030 has a bunch of decent sized paragraphs on the VF-4, VF-3000, VF-5000, VF-X-3, VF-X-4 (2 versions; before and after SWI), and the VF-4 again. + Gubaba's aforementioned ?joke? cover a VFMF VF-4/3000/5000 book cover!

I think the only thing that's disappointing about the book is, despite the CG picks of an ARMD, there's no section or detailed description of it (as there is of the Prometheus and Uraga class vessels in VFMF:VF-1 and VFMF:VF-19.

just picked up a copy this afternoon (kino@taka for interested SG members).

what immediately struck me was that this had much more text than pictures compared to prior books in the series.

as sketchley mentioned, the Fastpack v4 is particularly intruiging. to my frustation though, there are no internal schematics of the fastpacks which was my main reason for buying this book. i thought that was a glaring omission. i also would've wanted more pictures of the ARMDs or other space vehicles even if they were just in the background, and i was also expecting pictures of valks being serviced, or perhaps hangar scenes. so i guess i'm disappointed. if not for being a completist, i probably could've skipped this one. that might change though if i ever learn to read japanese. folks who can read japanese will probably be over the moon with the info packed in this one.

Since I finally got my copy as well, I thought I would jot a couple thoughts down. Gubaba and sketchley covered most of the stuff I would, but there's a few things I would point out.

Ver 1.0 FAST pack. It's a trimmed down set of leg pods and the arm pods with no boosters. The funny part is that from the front, it has a profile reminiscant of the CFTs on the F-15.

One of the Armored Valkyrie color schemes is marked "VF-1JA", which I initially thought to be a typo until Seto pointed out it's not. Still reminds me of the VF-2JA from Macross II.

I love the detail in the "flight manual" section. The cover reminds me of several TOs and Dash 1s I have. UNWEPS T.O. 01-VF-1A-4 JOFTOPS Flight Manual for U.N.S. Models Varia(b)le fighter VF-1A, B, and J Block 4 Vol. 1. Dated 1 November, 2008.

VF-1X/P. Some interesting new panel line details on them, such as the angular radome edge. The new canopy is a bit odd-looking, still, since it sticks out more on top of the plane. Intakes remind me now of the TIA: M+ VF-5000 side view (more on that below).

Weapons. 9 different variations of the AAM-1 Arrow, including an extended-range one with a booster stage and an enhanced maneuverability one. Oddly enough there's a TV one too. GBU-28/B Paveway III and GBU-28/S Space-Paveway III LGBs.... An inertial strike penetrator based on a GBU-28 warhead, a TV-guided GBU-27/S Space-Paveway IV, and a Stealth-JSOW. Odd, but interesting. The GBU-28/B would be a little large to carry on such a small fighter... New gunpod as well, the GU-11D. Looks like it has a second barrel under the regular ones.

Insurrection of Fitz Roy. Good WWII reference since Fitzroy was there. Looks like a fully-armed Super VF-1A with radome and VE/VT-1 boosters.

VF Geneaology. Reuse of the VF-4 and VF-5000 side views from the This is Animation: Macross Plus book, as well as Kawamori's draft profile from his Design Works book, except the 3k and VF-4 have less detail and were squashed vertically about as much as the VF-5000 already was in that book. Horrible side view and I wish they had redone it (like I am, actually). I mean, the shape is nothing like the VF-5000 really is. The head is completely missing, there are random wing-mounted beam guns we never see anywhere else (they look cool, if a bit Decepticon-ish, though), and the intakes and nose are way too shallow. Unfortunately they did that to the VF-4's engine pods and the entire VF-3000, plus simplifying the design of the latter. I love the cover of the hypothetical book and I would love to see that come out too, but I am not impressed with the drawings in this chapter.

Color schemes. I love the VF-1A on page 122, the one from SVF-56. It's painted in the JASDF dark blue-on-blue anti-landing craft scheme that some F-4EJs and all F-2A/Bs wear and looks great. I did a similar paint scheme on one of my VF-4 drawings a couple years ago. The cannon fodder VF-1A from Skull Squadron looked cool too, especially with the toned-down tail.

All in all, it was a neat book. It felt like they didn't have as much content to put in it, at least compared to the VF-19 Excalibur book (which is the high mark of the series so far). I would have liked to see less on the transformation and such and more time on the variants, such as the VT-1 and VE-1. There was a missed opportunity to tackle some of the surplus VF-1s too. Probably my least favorite book so far, but that's not to say it's bad at all.

Edited by Talos

New gunpod as well, the GU-11D. Looks like it has a second barrel under the regular ones.

That would be a/the sensor.

I would have liked to see less on the transformation a

If I understand it correctly, there are some new actuators that we haven't seen before presented in the section.

Started partial translation: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2668.msg41135#msg41135

Finished up to page 29.

Finally, total missile load in the FAST packs! Also, some interesting insight into the design role of the RO-2A.

The missile load has been long established, since the release of the 1/48 FPs. Yamato didn't just pull the design and number of missiles out of a hat y'know!

Graham

Don't collect/play with Yamato products.

I'll re-clarify with Yamato, as it's been years since I last asked, but IIRC, when Yamato decided to go ahead and make the FAST Packs for the 1/48 VF-1, Kawamori was consulted on the number of missiles and the design layout and it was established then that the number is 20 per pack.

internal-2.JPG

Graham

My post above should've read: "I don't collect/play..."

Anyhow, this image has been around since DYRL:

np-bp-01-cutaway.gif

Having said that, we might be dealing with two in-universe versions. Type pictured in my post is earlier, and the type in Graham's post is later.

If this is correct, it's consistent with the book's (VFMF:VF-1VSW) portrayal of changes to the GPS-1 Armoured Valkyrie's shoulder launcher's missiles; as well as the GU-11D for the VF-1X/P.

Picked my copy a couple of days ago. HK$370 in Sino Center.....ouch! Damn the high Japanese Yen exchange rate!

Quite like the redesigned canopy shape and feet on the VF-1P.

I really hope the VF-4/VF-3000/VF-5000 book is not a joke and is really the next in the series. Has the potential to be an awesome book.

Graham

More scanlations:

Armoured Valkyrie Section: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2668.msg41169#msg41169

Operation Bull's Eye Section: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2668.msg41171#msg41171

Yay! More missiles in the shoulder pod. Yay!! Arm hardpoints. FINALLY we have an explanation where the Full Armoured VF-11 Thunderbolt kept it's reaction missiles in VF-X2!!!

Yes, and no.

I've only briefly looked at the sections, and though on the surface the VF-1X appears to be the same (an improved-upon/updated/what have you) version of the VF-1, there's a lot more information. The VF-1P appears to be something more, entirely. (Again, only having briefly glanced at it, it's either an improved upon VF-1X, or an entirely newly produced model, based on the VF-1X.)

I actually have to chase down the USPS truck to get my book today.... love it.

Also, it's interesting to know that the landing gear below the cockpit actually have to pop out in battroid mode to make room for the rotation of pilot's seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone here order through HLJ and get a shipping notice yet? I pre-ordered mine way back when it was first announced but haven't got a payment request yet and there stock shows back-ordered...don't know if that means for my order though.

chris

I would sit tight. The same thing happened to me with the Blade Runner Spinner toy and Blu-ray. It was in stock and went quickly into backordered status. If you pre-ordered then you got your order in early, so I see no reason why you won't get a shipping notice. Have patience my friend. But, if you think there may be a problem with the way you paid for it, then it would be good to inquire now rather than later.

Edit: Yikes! I see it's been "discontinued" at hlj.com. I hope you got it after all.

if not for being a completist, i probably could've skipped this one. that might change though if i ever learn to read japanese. folks who can read japanese will probably be over the moon with the info packed in this one.

Just received and read (well, watched) the book. It sure is my favourite in the series: great battroid pics and Armored Color variations! A great complement to the VF1 Master File. I really hope the VF4, VF3000 & VF5000 Master File isn't a hoax!

See I'm confused. Is it worth it or not? I liked the first two books, but these conflicting comments make me wonder.

Edit: Aw, screw it! I just ordered it. I'm pretty sure I'll like it. :D

Edited by sharky

If you liked the first two books, then it's worth it. If you can read or translate it, it's more than worth it.

Thanks, I have a feeling I won't regret it. In fact, I was already regretting NOT buying it. Now if I can just save up enough for that pesky 1/3000 SDF-1 I hear so much about. :)

Yes, and no.

I've only briefly looked at the sections, and though on the surface the VF-1X appears to be the same (an improved-upon/updated/what have you) version of the VF-1, there's a lot more information. The VF-1P appears to be something more, entirely. (Again, only having briefly glanced at it, it's either an improved upon VF-1X, or an entirely newly produced model, based on the VF-1X.)

Can someone post a pic??? I'm a sucker on anything vf-1 related. :D

WTF? I must be looking at the wrong pic... :wacko:

Pg 088 has a larger hump on the back and stealthier panel lines (The VF-X).

Pg 092 has a larger hump on the back, stealthier panel lines, VF-0 style nozzles/feet.

Not sure what the big deal about the 3 hardpoints per wing is. VFMF:VF-1 pg 051 has 3 different hardpoint arrangements: earlier period mass-produced type with 2, late period mass-produced type with 3, and another late period mass-produced type with 5!

Uh, yeah...I already admitted I was looking at the wrong pic. Why oh why must you prolong my shame?

It's fun. :lol:

(Don't feel bad, happens to me all the time)

I would have liked to have seen some battroid or GERWALK VF-1X/P stuff though.

That's probably the main problem with these books. They don't have enough battroid and GERWALK pictures, PERIOD.

I usually prefer the fighter stuff myself, since I'm a big aeronautics geek, but the lack of a single one of either mode for either of those two fighters stood out to me.