10 Iconic Anime Mecha

EXO

So what does that make Buster Machine Nono ? She is technically piloting...herself.

Urgh....i dunno actually. Lets not bring in androids and cybernetic organisms into this. XD

So you would classify the Motorcycle Armour from Mospeada as mecha?? What about a regular suit of medieval armour. By your definition, thats mecha too...

Taksraven

Regular suit of medieval armour doesn't have mechanical moving parts. "Mecha" comes from mechanics i believe. Engrish but makes sense. So a regular kevlar or medieval platemail armour won't be mecha but ride armour yes. :D

So can we add to the definition that "Mecha" has an internal or external power source for movement (not counting human muscular activity)? Anything without this is just a "mecha prop".

Why not use the definition that's been refined by a number of people over the years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecha

http://anime.about.com/od/animeglossary/g/mecha_def.htm

Just a thought, inspired by something I read a long time ago in an anime magazine: according to that source, "mecha" to the Japanese can mean any kind of mechanical object. There were apparently some anime produced that listed mecha designers despite having no transforming washing machines, biological armoured attack fish, or giant ice cream waitresses with hearts of clockwork and aprons of anti-tank guns; the "mecha" referred to items like clocks, telephones, etc... IIRC, Shoji Kawamori got a "guest mecha design" credit for Patlabor 2 - his contribution being a type of Police patrol car with extendible "legs" that allowed it to ride (on wheels) over congested traffic...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

IIRC, Shoji Kawamori got a "guest mecha design" credit for Patlabor 2 - his contribution being a type of Police patrol car with extendible "legs" that allowed it to ride (on wheels) over congested traffic...

And the helicopters, and the fighter jets (F-15 and F-16) and the majority of civilian vehicles (cars, trucks, etc).

zomg, there's an error on the internet. What else is new?

Yeah, that Mali one is a good one, but they neglect to tell us how long that error lasted. It might have been fixed within 30 seconds....

Taksraven

Yeah, that Mali one is a good one, but they neglect to tell us how long that error lasted. It might have been fixed within 30 seconds....

Taksraven

After I left for work, I pondered it, and felt that it would've been much better to have posted an article about wikipedia misinformation by a known or reputable news source or even better: a university's policy excluding the use of wikipedia as a valid reference source. But as the poster is relying on a website implied to be about how to successfully troll a message board, we're apparently not at that level of discourse.

Ah well, it's not like he was pointing out something that everyone already knows or carefully read my original post or anything.