Official 1/100 BANDAI Hi-Metal VF-1S Valkyrie with Strike Parts

Actar

Scored me a Hi-Metal Skull Leader! Is there a good guide around for transforming the Hi-Metal VF-1s? Apparently it doesn't come with one. Haven't had a VF toy since the old Joke machine, so I'm kind of leery of experimenting around with the stiffer joints without a guide.

Scored me a Hi-Metal Skull Leader! Is there a good guide around for transforming the Hi-Metal VF-1s? Apparently it doesn't come with one. Haven't had a VF toy since the old Joke machine, so I'm kind of leery of experimenting around with the stiffer joints without a guide.

You've been misinformed :), not only does it come with a guide, it's in full color! Transformation is really easy and pretty much everything is ball-jointed, so I imagine if you applied too much force on a joint it'd simply pop out of its socket. My Hi-Metal arrived today and I'm in love! Took some quick shots this afternoon:

004alu.jpg

008dr.jpg

010vpk.jpg

013lk.jpg

019l0.jpg

is the skull on the heatshield a sticker or tampo printed? yeah it does look a little high but damn that vf-1s looks cool. and all the pics so far next to the 1/100 regult look cool too. save on buying a 1/60 regult model kit for your 1/60 valks.

I really don't mind the high skull, and yes it's tampo and not a sticker, I don't rage over the small things and I'm done with yamato forever. I personally love these hi-metals, I probably won't get the DRYL valks but if they do well I will be buying the eventual TV releases.

1S in the review page looks gorgeous. It may be smaller, it may not be "perfect" transformation (I personally don't care a thing about it), but it looks so much better than 1/60 Yamato.

Being a proud owner of a HI-Metal 1J, however, I must say that Bandai cut some corners on this new VF1: apart from the high skull on the chest, they did not color the upper part of the "underknee" (in the 1J it's dark grey as the lower part, in the 1S it's white - see pictures)

1S in the review page looks gorgeous. It may be smaller, it may not be "perfect" transformation (I personally don't care a thing about it), but it looks so much better than 1/60 Yamato.

Being a proud owner of a HI-Metal 1J, however, I must say that Bandai cut some corners on this new VF1: apart from the high skull on the chest, they did not color the upper part of the "underknee" (in the 1J it's dark grey as the lower part, in the 1S it's white - see pictures)

I would respectfully disagree. These high metals look fantastic but the 1/60 yamatos are better. Perfect transformation is the way to be.

I would respectfully disagree. These high metals look fantastic but the 1/60 yamatos are better. Perfect transformation is the way to be.

Yea but adversely screw yamato, I've bought enough crap overpriced products for them to not really care if I have to swap a heatshield or intakes on a superior figure, I've NEVER gotten anything bad from bandai, this is just my opnion of course so take it easy on me people.

Yea but adversely screw yamato, I've bought enough crap overpriced products for them to not really care if I have to swap a heatshield or intakes on a superior figure, I've NEVER gotten anything bad from bandai, this is just my opnion of course so take it easy on me people.

yes, everyone has their own preference so enjoy your own toys that meet your "perfect toy" by definition.

There are people who after a durable toy like figure and live with some missing gimmicks, but there are people who after for better rendering and craftmanship.

I like the Hi-Metal line and it's probably the best VF-1 toy ever made in its scale, but it doesn't fall into my expectation as Yamato V2 does.

It's very unfair though to compare the Hi-Metal line with Yamato V2.

Different strokes for different folks!

Had more fun playin- er, dynamically repositioning my toys today :D. All my non-flash pictures kept coming out really blurry, but I think this one came out OK (I blame the overcast skies and my cheapo camera, anything but me!):

22935802.jpg

And then, Revenge of the Regult!

96837254.jpg

Price and perfect transformation aside, I still think the Yamato scrpt is better in overall.

Talking about overpriced... The Hi-metal is actually expensive given its size. A lot of models (50% of the announced/released) are web exclusive is pushing it even further.

Keiichi, you probably just need something to support the camera on when you're taking low level photos. Or, if your camera has a viewfinder, hold the camera against your face and use the viewfinder instead of looking at the screen... that will reduce the tiny tremble of your hands and take crisper shots at low light.

I prefer the Hi Metal in battroid to the V2 but both are amazing toys. Why are people talking about removing the intakes? That's optional on both the Hi-Metal and the V2. I think it's amazing that a 1/100 toy even has the option of exposing the turbines.

Keiichi, you probably just need something to support the camera on when you're taking low level photos. Or, if your camera has a viewfinder, hold the camera against your face and use the viewfinder instead of looking at the screen... that will reduce the tiny tremble of your hands and take crisper shots at low light.

I prefer the Hi Metal in battroid to the V2 but both are amazing toys. Why are people talking about removing the intakes? That's optional on both the Hi-Metal and the V2. I think it's amazing that a 1/100 toy even has the option of exposing the turbines.

Exactly, besides I thought the intakes had to be removed on V2 yamato valks as well.

Ah hah, thanks for the advice! No viewfinder on the camera unfortunately; had resisted getting a digital camera for the longest time, so when I finally came across a situation where I needed one I just bought the cheapest one I could find :lol:. It's a lot of fun having it though, so I can definitely see why people invest in quality setups. You've given me some good ideas on how to improve my shots in the future though (lay the camera flat and then use the timer or something), so thanks again!

In regards to the figure discussion; I agree that swapping intakes isn't a big deal at all (especially when you've got Strike parts on, since that probably means you're in space and should have the covers on anyways, hehe). The only part swapping that bugs me is the head lasers (changing straight with splayed) because they're very tight and are uncomfortable to remove, but that's a completely optional swap. I really love all the extra hands, it makes me wish all Yammies came with some as their hands tend to not look so great when they're not cradling a gun. Aesthetically, my main complaints are ones that have already been said: backpack doesn't sit flat enough against the back and the gunpod angles upwards in fighter mode (looks great when the armor is on, though). Price-wise, at full retail they're definitely overpriced, so thank goodness for AmiAmi. With their discount, I feel the VF-1S becomes a fair deal. Pretty annoyed that the rest of Skull Squadron are going to be web exclusive, at least make Hikaru a general release!

yes, everyone has their own preference so enjoy your own toys that meet your "perfect toy" by definition.

There are people who after a durable toy like figure and live with some missing gimmicks, but there are people who after for better rendering and craftmanship.

I like the Hi-Metal line and it's probably the best VF-1 toy ever made in its scale, but it doesn't fall into my expectation as Yamato V2 does.

It's very unfair though to compare the Hi-Metal line with Yamato V2.

I should have been more specific: I think the HI-Metal looks way better in battroid, but Yamato 1/60 has an almost perfect fighter mode (pilot positioning aside). Since I much prefer battroid mode to fighter mode, HI-Metal wins (for me). I agree that it's overpriced for its size.

I should have been more specific: I think the HI-Metal looks way better in battroid, but Yamato 1/60 has an almost perfect fighter mode (pilot positioning aside). Since I much prefer battroid mode to fighter mode, HI-Metal wins (for me). I agree that it's overpriced for its size.

Interesting! On the contrary I think the Hi-Metal has a better fighter mode and 1/60 Yamato gets the better battroid mode. I always think the Hi-Metal is more alike to the 1/48 Yammie; longer nose cone thus a better fighter mode and the battroid mode gives in a bit.

Pretty annoyed that the rest of Skull Squadron are going to be web exclusive, at least make Hikaru a general release!

Do we know for sure if the rest of the squad will only be web exclusive release? They don't come with fast packs, so I was hoping for a wider release with fast packs.

Edited by pud333

Interesting! On the contrary I think the Hi-Metal has a better fighter mode and 1/60 Yamato gets the better battroid mode. I always think the Hi-Metal is more alike to the 1/48 Yammie; longer nose cone thus a better fighter mode and the battroid mode gives in a bit.

I think we can all agree that the MPC veritech has the best gerwalk though. :D

Edited by eugimon

Those pics next to the 1:100 Toynami just ROCK!

Haha, I'm really glad you liked them despite their shoddiness!

Do we know for sure if the rest of the squad will only be web exclusive release? They don't come with fast packs, so I was hoping for a wider release with fast packs.

Here is one proxy service advertising them explicitly as Tamashii Web Shop Exclusive (in their current form, at least). At 5775 yen even before service charges, that's more than I paid for Roy's valk with Strike Parts. A general release VF-1A with Strike Parts would be wonderful and I hope Bandai takes you up on your suggestion! I'd really like a VF-1A Hikaru to fly on Roy's wing.

Haha, I'm really glad you liked them despite their shoddiness!

Here is one proxy service advertising them explicitly as Tamashii Web Shop Exclusive (in their current form, at least). At 5775 yen even before service charges, that's more than I paid for Roy's valk with Strike Parts. A general release VF-1A with Strike Parts would be wonderful and I hope Bandai takes you up on your suggestion! I'd really like a VF-1A Hikaru to fly on Roy's wing.

How reliable is this guy? Never heard of him...

There seems to be some confusion on how prices work these days. Here's a breakdown (Bandai prices HLJ and Keiichi, Yamato prices from Yamato):

Bandai Hi Metal / Yamato V2

5,500 / 10,290 (normal release)

6,500 / 13,440 (super release)

5,775 / 10,290 - 15,540 (low end is for Hikaru 1J with gray head visor, high end is for weathering edition)