About the Reissued VF-0S

GU-11

To be very fair, despite how nasty some of the flaws have been in Yamato's valks, we need to remember this wouldn't be as big an issue if we lived in Japan. Let's face it, we're out of their market area, they can't cater to our needs, and I think a large majority of us wouldn't even worry about broken parts if we could just call Yamato's hotline, and have spare parts on our doorstep within the week.

As annoying as it is to have to replace broken parts, at least for me, the major hassle is in the distance/shipping/waiting, rather than the actual problems. Not to say Yamato can't improve their engineering so things don't happen as often, but if we could walk into our local store and exchange a broken valk for a new one off the shelves on the same day we bought it, I'd bet a lot of us wouldn't be nearly as concerned.

Can't argue with that logic.

As annoying as it is to have to replace broken parts, at least for me, the major hassle is in the distance/shipping/waiting, rather than the actual problems. Not to say Yamato can't improve their engineering so things don't happen as often, but if we could walk into our local store and exchange a broken valk for a new one off the shelves on the same day we bought it, I'd bet a lot of us wouldn't be nearly as concerned.

That is certainly the case here with Xbox 360s. I personally know people who have gone through 3 and I've heard stories of people going through 7. Dropping $200+ for a faulty product is complete bull yet people don't complain nearly as much if they can get a replacement locally.

that's true. we wouldn't complain so much if it was easier to return. but, since they specifically know what the problem is, they should send out extra shoulders to shops who have the vf-0 or vf-1 to bundle with the toys. that way, the stores get to sell the valks + customers are happy.

...like cocaine or heroine! :p

~ it's bad for ur health

~ affects your social relationship

~ hurt your financial welfare

~ you become murderous, homicidal psycopath

...but u still keep buying YAMATO!!!

Heheh, sounds like they should put those health hazard warnings on the Yamato boxes, just like the cigarette packs! :p

...like cocaine or heroine! :p

~ it's bad for ur health

~ affects your social relationship

~ hurt your financial welfare

~ you become murderous, homicidal psycopath

...but u still keep buying YAMATO!!!

It's bad for you health cause you keep mentally torturing you self when you reviece a defective valk.

It does affect your social relationship cause you friends can't figure out how you can justify spending sooo much money on toys. Thus no one ever lends you any money at your time of need.

Hell yeah it hurts your financial situation! If you use your cards to pay for valks than you gotta see that statement every month and make that dang payment!

You become a Psyco only when your kids try to hurt your valks or if the wife threatens to break my stuff cause we had a fight.

In the end we keep buying Yamato cause it is the only one who has so much variety to offer. Bandai on the other hand, only makes gundamized valkyrie and the rest of the companies make action figures and model kits. So what choice do we have?

Edited by Muzaffar

New to the board ... :D sorry if this been asked.... but I recently saw the VF-0A and S Yamatos on sale in HLJ, and still in stock, are these the ones with confirmed fixes or will I be trying my luck if I buy them? I'm just afraid retailers might mix old & new stock.

Welcome to the board, Sherylfan!

The straight answer is, yes and no. "Yes", to the question of whether they're new stock. The earlier releases have long since sold out (at least at HLJ), and the ones on discount are all from the latest release.

And unfortunately, "No", to the question of whether ALL of the issues in the earlier releases have been fixed. Most of them have been solved, namely the non-lockable feet, loose joints, and explodium shoulders. The drooping nose issue is still somewhat of a problem, as members like Chronocidal and Muzaffar have experienced them. My VF-0A also has a very slight problem with the drooping nose, but it's totally unnoticeable when displayed on its landing gears, and has a very slight gap (about half a millimeter) on the heat shield when mounted on a stand. I'll get around to fixing it someday, but as it doesn't call any attention to itself, I'll just leave it in the back-burner until later.

If you want my opinion about it, I'd say go ahead and buy either or both of them. They're very cool VF's, and look awesome in all three modes. Even if the problem of the drooping nose does exist, Chronocidal has already posted a guide to fixing it in this same thread--just go back one page to find it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by GU-11

New to the board ... :D sorry if this been asked.... but I recently saw the VF-0A and S Yamatos on sale in HLJ, and still in stock, are these the ones with confirmed fixes or will I be trying my luck if I buy them? I'm just afraid retailers might mix old & new stock.

It's really tough to say, Yamato valks will always be hit and miss, I've gotten first releases that were fine, and supossedly new fixed releases that were crap. From what I have heard the newer 0A release with the updated box art is okay, as for 0S, it's been mixed, I'd say go for it.

Welcome aboard and yes go ahead and get one or both of the Vf-0's just as GU-11 said. The only pain is the droopy nose and it is totally fixable in 15 minutes thanks to Chronocidal's guide. I have done it on both of my VF-0's and no sweat.

http://www.hlj.com/product/DMG-1-YMT00041 lol! 1/60 B-Grade VF-0S [scratch & Dent 1/60 B-Grade VF-0S]

"The beautiful, hyper-detailed, 1/60 transformable VF-0S is here! With rockets, missiles, and drop tanks, as well as a little pilot figure for the cockpit, the wait has definitely been worth it. As with all of Yamato's 1/60 scale Valkyries, the VF-0S is fu" :lol:

also http://www.hlj.com/product/DMG-1-SOF35693 Scratch & Dent B-Grade Variable Fighter Master File: VF-19 huh???

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

i think Ive mentioned htis around before, but i say get the 0S and 0A that came with the ghost boosters. Those are my defaults for both, and they remain the best overall for my money.

But the downside is, they are near impossible to find, and eViLbAy charges 400+ shipping for the OS w/Ghost. Ouch.

i have something like 8 VF-0's alogether, but only 2 with the Ghost packs, and they're the 2 I display.

i didnt realise the Bay prices had gone up so much :(

Also: has Yamato just given up on the Zero franchise? Where's the 0D, when we're getting Mac 7 stuff now?!

Edited by Scream Man

i have something like 8 VF-0's alogether, but only 2 with the Ghost packs, and they're the 2 I display.

i didnt realise the Bay prices had gone up so much :(

Also: has Yamato just given up on the Zero franchise? Where's the 0D, when we're getting Mac 7 stuff now?!

I know, right? That Macross Zero 0D was damn sweet.

The one thing I do not like about the VF-0 reissues from this year are the arm sockets. They have rubber coverings over the ball joints and I already have seepage on my 0S/A. On my 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru, once the rubber wore down over time, the shoulders got loose. The same thing will most likely happen inevitably to my 0S/A. I really wish the shoulder innards were the same as the V2 1/60 VF-1...which IIRC are not made out of rubber and are not prone to looseness even after constant handling.

Anyone got ideas on how to tighten the shoulders?

Out of curiosity, I checked the shoulders on my VF-0S/A, and the screws were to frigging tight I couldn't even turn them. Would it be advisable to try and unscrew them with an electric screwdriver (heard that overly tight screws aren't exactly good for the joints), or should I just leave well enough alone?

I really want one of these but after reading all the problems. I am paranoid I'd I get a lemon for $200. I still might order one from hlj if they are the reissues. I don't know. For a $200 toy it should be perfect out of the box.

Edited by pud333

Well I went ahead and ordered a VF-0S and Nora from HLJ. At $250, Nora wouldn't have been worth it, but at $100, it's a great deal I figure. Can't wait to get them both!

Edited by pud333

Great now I'm debating whether or not I want to risk ordering the VF-0S right now. I'm looking at HLJ right now and as much as I freaking love the VF-0S, I really don't want to risk wasting 150ish dollars. I royally lucked out with the stand alone DYRL VF-1S and thought that the only other valk I'd get this year would be the Elintseeker to go along with the mass produced VF-1A I just got.

Is this the beginning of the downward spiral everyone was talking about?

Is this the beginning of the downward spiral everyone was talking about?

Yes. Yes it is. I held off for as long as I could before finally picking up the DYRL Roy Focker, and man... when I first took that piece of plastic crack out of the tray, I had a geekgasm. I'm addicted now. I thought I would only get one, maybe two valks, but now I'm in it for two more, and more later on if the price is right. With the discounts right now at HLJ, the price is definitely right. Plus, I figure I'll need a Destroid as well. Sold my GI Joe POC MOC figures to fund this latest purchase. FML.

Edited by pud333

Yes. Yes it is. I held off for as long as I could before finally picking up the DYRL Roy Focker, and man... when I first took that piece of plastic crack out of the tray, I had a geekgasm. I'm addicted now. I thought I would only get one, maybe two valks, but now I'm in it for two more, and more later on if the price is right. With the discounts right now at HLJ, the price is definitely right. Plus, I figure I'll need a Destroid as well. Sold my GI Joe POC MOC figures to fund this latest purchase. FML.

Damn I just caved and ordered....

Seriously though I honestly thought that I could stop at the original VF-1S seeing it was a gift from my girl friend and as how I never really cared for the other pilots or valks aside from maybe the YF-19/VF-19. Needless to say I was blown away by how amazing Yamato's valks were (and the fact that I lucked out with the Vf-1S's shoulders) but I thought that Macross Ultimate Frontier would have been enough to keep me from buying another valk.

That worked until 2 weeks ago when I caved after seeing the mass produced VF-1A for sale at Angolz. I figured that the Elintseeker would be a great way to finish off a collection then the VF-0S goes on sale...

If nothing else I know that this isn't going to get too out of hand. I've never been tempted by anything flown by anyone other than Roy, Isamu, and Ozma matter how low the price dropped so that narrows it down quite a bit. I know I'll probably end up owning an Elintseeker and the YF-19/VF-19 within a year or so but other than that I don't see any problems barring FAST packs, Ghost Boosters, Fold Boosters, etc.

Damn I just caved and ordered....

Seriously though I honestly thought that I could stop at the original VF-1S seeing it was a gift from my girl friend and as how I never really cared for the other pilots or valks aside from maybe the YF-19/VF-19. Needless to say I was blown away by how amazing Yamato's valks were (and the fact that I lucked out with the Vf-1S's shoulders) but I thought that Macross Ultimate Frontier would have been enough to keep me from buying another valk.

That worked until 2 weeks ago when I caved after seeing the mass produced VF-1A for sale at Angolz. I figured that the Elintseeker would be a great way to finish off a collection then the VF-0S goes on sale...

If nothing else I know that this isn't going to get too out of hand. I've never been tempted by anything flown by anyone other than Roy, Isamu, and Ozma matter how low the price dropped so that narrows it down quite a bit. I know I'll probably end up owning an Elintseeker and the YF-19/VF-19 within a year or so but other than that I don't see any problems barring FAST packs, Ghost Boosters, Fold Boosters, etc.

That's funny, cause my girlfriend got me the same valk a couple weeks ago too for my birthday. I had been staring at it at my local import toy store for literally months. I'm used to buying $10 Joes and $20 DCUC figures. Not $150. My GF finally got it for me, and I think it is worth every single dollar she paid for it. I don't think I've ever received a toy before where I was so thoroughly impressed with, from top to bottom. You're right though about this not getting out of hand. I mean, at $200+ a pop for a brand new valk, it's not something you can army build, you know? Once I get my SV-51 and VS-0S, I'll get a destroid, a couple stands, and then probably wait until the VF-25s get better in their engineering, or Yamato takes a crack at them. It's not like I'm going to buy everything out there, and like you, will only buy ships of characters I like or resonate with. (eg: hated Shin and Alto, but like Roy, Michael, etc.) I'm learning now that, at least with Yamato, it is best to wait for reviews first before buying, due to the potential QC problems of early releases (like the shoulder problem). I'll only buy these things once I get confirmation from others that it's safe to do so. Might get the Ghost Booster set later.

Edited by pud333

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just got my VF-0S earlier this week (took a while for the order to process but the shipping was quick as usual) and I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with it. There are a few areas that are somewhat floppy but overall it is a very solid piece. It definitely feels like the predecessor to the VF-1S in every sense of the word, not only conceptually but physically as the figure wasn't engineered to fit together nearly as tightly as either of the VF-1 valks I have. If I ever see a VF-0A for a good price I'll definitely jump on it but again, it isn't something that I have to have so I don't have to worry about burning a hole in my wallet.

I do have to say that after handling both the VF-0 and VF-1, I can't justify picking up a VF-11. The VF-11 just seems far too overpriced when the valk is roughly the same size as the VF-1 but costs as much as the VF-0 or YF-19. At least with the Elintseeker there are the heavily customized accessories so the price is somewhat justifiable but I can't see it with the VF-11. Looks like I won't be collecting anything outside the VF-0, VF-1, and YF-19 lines.

Well I just got my VF-0S earlier this week (took a while for the order to process but the shipping was quick as usual) and I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with it. There are a few areas that are somewhat floppy but overall it is a very solid piece. It definitely feels like the predecessor to the VF-1S in every sense of the word, not only conceptually but physically as the figure wasn't engineered to fit together nearly as tightly as either of the VF-1 valks I have. If I ever see a VF-0A for a good price I'll definitely jump on it but again, it isn't something that I have to have so I don't have to worry about burning a hole in my wallet.

I do have to say that after handling both the VF-0 and VF-1, I can't justify picking up a VF-11. The VF-11 just seems far too overpriced when the valk is roughly the same size as the VF-1 but costs as much as the VF-0 or YF-19. At least with the Elintseeker there are the heavily customized accessories so the price is somewhat justifiable but I can't see it with the VF-11. Looks like I won't be collecting anything outside the VF-0, VF-1, and YF-19 lines.

I'd have to disagree man, I used to think the VF-11 was the same size as the VF-1 toy also, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn't. In person, the VF-11 is actually significantly bigger and taller all around. Not to mention the engineering is ridiculous in a good way. It incorporates a lot of advancements that surprised me upon the initial transformation. Not to mention, there are several internal parts that are not visible unless you open the toy up, and the higher the amount of smaller parts to tool=higher price. Engineering-wise it's on par if not a bit more advanced than the V2 1/60 VF-1, which IMHO, shoulder-issues aside, was a turning point for Yamato, as the V2 1/60 VF-1 is a more toyetic release(compared to previous Yamato toys) without compromising detail.

Toy-wise, VF-0 feels dated, V2 1/60 VF-1 is "just right", while VF-11 goes beyond.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0