HG and Robotech Debates

Oh ok, I thought they were the non-transformable ones from before.

So the only advantages to these toys are that they're "cheap," "legal," and new?

Unfortunately, on RT.com, "cheap" does not apply, as they are selling them at retail price while everyone else has them on clearance. Also, "new" wouldn't apply to it anymore by the time RT.com has them out, as the Bandai VF Hi-Metal VF-1J would already be released.

does anybody know what happened to the deal where Toynami was to distribute in North America the Bandai re-issue of the original Takatoku VF-1?

Bandai/Tamashii had to withdraw from the deal. No official explanation was given.

Speaking of C&Ds, what happened to the legal issues between HG and Piranha Games over the MechWarrior reboot?

I haven't heard anything, though according to Piranha Games' webpage, the game is still going to be released. My guess is that the offending mecha (the Warhammer) will be removed from the game, thus clearing the path for the game's eventual release.

I dont think anyone even cares if HG sends out C&D's. BBTS is doing just fine it seems.

if that's the case were next for creating a rtlam script, aiding and abetting in the circulation of non-rt merchandise and conspiracy to sow seeds of decent in the rt community.

edit:

Forgot Harboring Fugitives from rt law.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

if that's the case were next for creating a rtlam script, aiding and abetting in the circulation of non-rt merchandise and conspiracy to sow seeds of decent in the rt community.

edit:

Forgot Harboring Fugitives from rt law.

Should we try to cast Megan Fox in it? I hear she's free right now, and loves working with giant robots lol

Should we try to cast Megan Fox in it? I hear she's free right now, and loves working with giant robots lol

Im fine with Megan playing Minmei. They can use the cheesecake style shots from Macross First for the posters.

*sigh* I suppose she'd need something with less personality to make her stand out as something other than wank material, so sticking her next to whatever ugly redesign of Macross's VF-1 they come up with should work... I'd still prefer to keep her as far removed from anything even tangentially Macross-related as humanly possible...

*sigh* I suppose she'd need something with less personality to make her stand out as something other than wank material, so sticking her next to whatever ugly redesign of Macross's VF-1 they come up with should work... I'd still prefer to keep her as far removed from anything even tangentially Macross-related as humanly possible...

I agree. Megan Fox just kissed her acting career goodbye when Paramount axed her from Transformers 3. Putting her in the RT LAM doesn't make the movie or her career better.

Besides, the LAM would be a lot better if either Sora Aoi or Mai Ly played Minmei.

No.

We'll get Lindsay Lohan.

They would save money if they dropped the singing aspect of the show. Just get everyone distracted by something sexy.

Just a reminder for anyone keeping track of the franchise; savor, and I really mean savor the handful of extra content added to the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles and other compilation comic books being released. That's about three years of progress in your hands, and so much better than what they're keeping people from.

It's totally worth the legalities. :mellow:

Re: This thread - http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33105

Does anybody have confirmation that the sale was due to a C&D?

BBTS still have Kaiyodo Revoltech transformable Valkyrie up for pre-order.

These are not HG sanctioned products.

I think that the sale had nothing to do with HG or a C&D, but was just a sale. They wanted to get rid of their Macross stock. HLJ did the same thing earlier. Nothing more IMO.

Otherwise - wouldn't they have to take down the Kaiyodo preorders as well?

Pete

The page with Mint may be of interest to Mospeada fans. Robotech collectors will want a copy, but hopefully someone scans it. It's significant because Harmony Gold and Robotech fans hate Annie. They'd rather ignore the characters they don't want to use for Shadow Chronicles and this is a little confusing. The characters they want to ignore are also the most interesting ones.

They would save money if they dropped the singing aspect of the show. Just get everyone distracted by something sexy.

Odds are they'll axe the singing part anyway... remember, one of the areas where Macek asserted that he "improved" Macross was by reducing the importance of, and the emphasis on, the singing aspect of the series. The "Robotech-in-name-only" live action movie will almost certainly be a mindless summer sci-fi/action flick positively brimming with Robotech's usual pro-war, pro-military, xenophobic "message".

Just a reminder for anyone keeping track of the franchise; savor, and I really mean savor the handful of extra content added to the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles and other compilation comic books being released. That's about three years of progress in your hands, and so much better than what they're keeping people from.

It's totally worth the legalities. :mellow:

Has anyone confirmed that the re-release of Prelude actually contains new content? From the sound of the marketing blurb it's just a condensation of the garbage printed in the original per-issue release. In any competently-run franchise, wasting a good three years faffing about and then trying to pass off a compilation of stuff from eight years ago as new and exciting content would get you sentenced to be trampled by the company brontosaurus... but not in Robotech. Robotech fans are so inured to having nothing new or interesting to talk about that they honestly believe that this it the way a franchise should be run, and that this behavior is a recipe for success.

No.

We'll get Lindsay Lohan.

Now you're thinking, Megan as "Minmay," Lindsey as "Lisa," and someone mentioned earlier that douche from Twilight, and we should be able to achieve Wing Commander levels of box office fail! :)

Now you're thinking, Megan as "Minmay," Lindsey as "Lisa," and someone mentioned earlier that douche from Twilight, and we should be able to achieve Wing Commander levels of box office fail! :)

Why settle with one douche when you can have the entire Twilight cast do the LAM? After all, screaming teenage girls run the box office economy.

Okay it will be Megan Fox as Minmay. She doesn't sing but she wants to be a dancer. During the day she works in her family restaurant. At night whenl they think she's going to college she's really goes to the strip club. She dances around in her classic China Dress. It is much shorter. To show the utmost sensitivity to Asian americans her eye lids will be taped to a slanted shape and she'll over emphasiize the accent.

I would rather see a live-action version of the sequel of the original Macross series than anything coming out of Tommy Yune's "pen hand". Lord, does Britai Kardinak and Exedor look fugly in their DYRL incarnations.

My response to Harmony Gold if a Cease and Desist order does come down the pike: "Shove it up your collective asses!"

The page with Mint may be of interest to Mospeada fans. Robotech collectors will want a copy, but hopefully someone scans it. It's significant because Harmony Gold and Robotech fans hate Annie. They'd rather ignore the characters they don't want to use for Shadow Chronicles and this is a little confusing. The characters they want to ignore are also the most interesting ones.

I don't think they really have a choice these days. They killed off a whole bunch of people from the previous generations, unless they magically reappear and become relevant to the Haydonite war. Plus, Macross characters would be in-name-only status like Rick and Lisa.

I would rather see a live-action version of the sequel of the original Macross series than anything coming out of Tommy Yune's "pen hand". Lord, does Britai Kardinak and Exedor look fugly in their DYRL incarnations.

Okay, I'm lost... I've been staring at this for like five minutes and I still can't be certain what you're talking about. Are you saying you'd rather see a live-action DYRL? Something else? What? I wouldn't be too concerned about Tommy Yune's "pen hand" in the Robotech-in-name-only live action movie, since Harmony Gold's creative team are pretty much just bystanders in the whole process. They're sitting on their hands and waiting for Warner to make someone care about Robotech.

I don't think they really have a choice these days. They killed off a whole bunch of people from the previous generations, unless they magically reappear and become relevant to the Haydonite war. Plus, Macross characters would be in-name-only status like Rick and Lisa.

Given what little has been said on that matter by the likes of Yune and McKeever, the decision to omit any pre-existing characters who weren't plot-critical was probably a cost-saving measure during the production of the film. The voice actors who worked on Robotech back in the 80s are members of the Screen Actor's Guild now, and as a result their rates have gone up. With such a small budget, having a more than a few of the original VAs reprise their roles would've been impossible. On the other hand, the decision to redesign the plot-critical Macross cast member (Rick Hunter), and either kill off or otherwise remove the rest of the cast was, though Harmony Gold will never admit it, done because they can't use Macross characters in animated or live-action works. Even though they used the Sentinels redesigns, they probably didn't want to take any chances, since the whole Big West v Tatsunoko legal tiff had only recently started to wind down.

Okay it will be Megan Fox as Minmay. She doesn't sing but she wants to be a dancer. During the day she works in her family restaurant. At night whenl they think she's going to college she's really goes to the strip club. She dances around in her classic China Dress. It is much shorter. To show the utmost sensitivity to Asian americans her eye lids will be taped to a slanted shape and she'll over emphasiize the accent.

If were going that route we might as well just take the movie Showgirls and splice in shots from a random sci fi series and call it robotech.

Okay, I'm lost... I've been staring at this for like five minutes and I still can't be certain what you're talking about. Are you saying you'd rather see a live-action DYRL? Something else? What? I wouldn't be too concerned about Tommy Yune's "pen hand" in the Robotech-in-name-only live action movie, since Harmony Gold's creative team are pretty much just bystanders in the whole process. They're sitting on their hands and waiting for Warner to make someone care about Robotech.

I think he's saying he'd rather see a Macross adaptation using the original Macross character designs and not the DYRL character designs.

There I beat Gubaba to the punch.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

...Why make an original film? At all?

In "true Robotech tradition", They could simply cut up both Transformers movies, redub & call it Robotech.

That way they get all the "actors" they need plus Megan Fox and "GIANT fartING ROBOTS". :)

Not to mention they can claim how they "improved" the material buy cutting out whatever they find insignificant in the original films. Everybody wins! ;)

...maybe not. :lol:

Oh wait...I think I get it now. Wanzerfan, I guess, hates the DYRL designs, but he'd rather see THOSE turned into a live-action movie than see it use Tommy Yune designs.

Is that right?

No no no, you've all got it wrong. he's saying he's lonely and just wants to be loved.

I was referring to the original 36 episode Super Dimentional Fortress Macross series. From what I've heard (I'm not sure on this front) is that all other Macross series (Plus, &, etc.) are sequels to DYRL (I know that Macross II is, at least), which from what I've read was a re-imagining of the series. I kinda like the character designs from the original.

A sequel to that would be kinad cool.

Sorry for the confusion.

I was referring to the original 36 episode Super Dimentional Fortress Macross series. From what I've heard (I'm not sure on this front) is that all other Macross series (Plus, &, etc.) are sequels to DYRL (I know that Macross II is, at least), which from what I've read was a re-imagining of the series. I kinda like the character designs from the original.

A sequel to that would be kinad cool.

Sorry for the confusion.

No. Technically, all the sequels except Macross II are sequels to SDFM TV. There's some fudging with the designs, however.

You, um, really SHOULD watch some Macross at some point, you know... :)