What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Watching Ergo Proxy. A really confusing story so far that is full of dark images. A little too gothic in the ambience.

Stick with it, the ending isn't the most rewarding, but it's got some good reveals towards the end.

Well after doing Gundam ZZ I had to continue, didn't I, so I got round to watchin Char's Counterattack and I can definitely see why so many people can like it, while at the same time, many others don't.

The animation was absolutely gorgeous considering this is from 1988. And the battle scenes are just incredible. You really do experience mobile suit combat in a different way than one did in the original series and even Zeta.

The story was not as good as I expected though.

. I mean, Char isn't shown in ZZ at all, so the last we see of him before CCA is in Zeta when we see the Hyaku Shiki float past the screen all beat up. And so from there he becomes the leader of Neo Zeon. When watching the beginning of CCA one feels that one missed the first twenty minutes or something.

And yeah, some of the new character additions do feel a bit pointless, specially when there is little time in a 2 hour movie to develop them. Hathaway Noa in particular didn't really add anything to the movie. Having said that, it's great to see Amuro and Char having some closure

As a latecomer and total novice to Gundam I have to say that so far Zeta is still the Gundam I like best. Now I'll check out the other UC side stories (8th MZ, War in Pocket and Stardust Memory).

Justed started watching "Toward the Terra". First two episodes were OK, I'm hoping it doesn't fall off a cliff though since it has the preachy "save the Earth" vibe going - and it could end up being a preach fest...

The main character in the show keeps reminding me of Ender from Ender's Game, even though the characters don't act alike - they both have a saviour of the universe vibe to them.

As for the animation, somewhat recent, even though the character designs look older there is a good bit of computer animation mixed in. The battle scenes so far have been very well done, nice flowing missile attacks for instance.

I didn't watch the TV series yet, just read the original manga, and I've to say that To Terra is among the best SF manga I've ever read so far, and maybe the best SF altogether...

And no, I didn't find any preach fest in. But maybe the anime is different. :)

Otherwise, I finished watching Tomino's very first TV series Triton of the Sea yesterday: it's a more interesting series than it may look at first sight, and despite the "enemy of the week" syndrome it conveys an overall plot which doesn't lack of interest at all, particularly in its conclusion where the status of hero of the main protagonist becomes very discussable; I also like how Tomino proposed a very different story than the original Tezuka's manga. A very pleasant surprise, even if it is badly dated...

Skip the sidestories, and head straight on to F91 & Victory. Victory makes the tone of Z look like ZZ.

Already got the sidestory dvd's i hand so I have little choice but to watch them first.

Will watch F91 and Victory for sure though. It's definitely in the pipeline.

Just started Puella Magi Madoka.

Forget Card Captor Sakura

Forget Nanoha

I thought this was gonna be some standard magical girl show. I was wrong. Shinbo reinvents mahou shoujo YET AGAIN. Make no mistake that this show is dark despite how cute everyone looks.

Finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8th MS Team. Liked it; Good direction and it was cool seeing mobile suits being used as infantry and I thought Shiro was a welcome change from the traditional Gundam protagonist. On the whole it felt a bit different to what I've been seeing so far in the Gundam franchise. It was a bit strange

not to have any Newtypes in the story as well having all the main characters surviving. Even stranger is that there actually is a happy ending!

Never thought I'd see that in a Gundam series.

On the whole it felt a bit different to what I've been seeing so far in the Gundam franchise. It was a bit strange

not to have any Newtypes in the story as well having all the main characters surviving. Even stranger is that there actually is a happy ending!

That's pretty much why I didn't like it.

Just started Puella Magi Madoka.

Forget Card Captor Sakura

Forget Nanoha

I thought this was gonna be some standard magical girl show. I was wrong. Shinbo reinvents mahou shoujo YET AGAIN. Make no mistake that this show is dark despite how cute everyone looks.

Wonder if Akiyuki Shinbo has been taking lessons from Anno or Tomino or something...Shinbo mixes the cute looks of a magical series with a plot clearly inspired by Goethe's Faust. The most interesting show of the winter season so far. Nice sound track and the show is not going overboard with the typical Shaft artsy visuals.

Edited by Bri

Just watched "The Sky Crawlers" last night, excellent dogfight sequences and detailed animation - the character animation is very sparse though and the two styles do clash a bit. Interesting story about pilots that never grow up, can't say any more as that gives away part of the plot.

I also watched the first two episodes of Gunbuster, don't know what to make of the show yet - looked like it was going to be a mecha high school show and then it took a 180, I'm going to pick up disc 2 to see where it goes but the show is on the edge for me, a little too silly but not enough for me to quit watching yet. (It's not silly enough to be that show with the Spirals nor serious enough to be Macross, which puts it in a weird spot)

Just watched "The Sky Crawlers" last night, excellent dogfight sequences and detailed animation - the character animation is very sparse though and the two styles do clash a bit. Interesting story about pilots that never grow up, can't say any more as that gives away part of the plot.

I also watched the first two episodes of Gunbuster, don't know what to make of the show yet - looked like it was going to be a mecha high school show and then it took a 180, I'm going to pick up disc 2 to see where it goes but the show is on the edge for me, a little too silly but not enough for me to quit watching yet. (It's not silly enough to be that show with the Spirals nor serious enough to be Macross, which puts it in a weird spot)

Careful now. Any bashing of Gunbuster will ban you from being allowed to watch anime, forever. Hell, you're luckly it didn't happen for that knock against Gurren Lagann.

Careful now. Any bashing of Gunbuster will ban you from being allowed to watch anime, forever. Hell, you're luckly it didn't happen for that knock against Gurren Lagann.

Someone clearly needs some re-education :angry:

*gets ready lynch*

That was not a knock on Gurren Lagann. GL knew exactly what it wanted to be and fulfulled it's promise. Gunbuster could be something I love at this point or something I hate, can't really decide (I was the same way this far into GL as well though - and it turned out to be one of my favorites)

Finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8th MS Team. Liked it; Good direction and it was cool seeing mobile suits being used as infantry and I thought Shiro was a welcome change from the traditional Gundam protagonist. On the whole it felt a bit different to what I've been seeing so far in the Gundam franchise. It was a bit strange

If you count Shiro losing one of his legs as a part of a happy ending. Oh, well, at least he got the girl in the end ;) .

Regarding 08th MS Team - I've always felt uncomfortable with the idea of "Grunt Gundams" facing off against Zaku's on what was portrayed to be more or less equal footing (I'm aware that RX-79G was somewhat of a downgrade from Amuro's machine), seems like many things were done for dramatic effect for the purpose of just portraying a 'Nam style jungle fight with mobile suits.

In other news, I also started mahou shoujo madoka magica... thus far love the art and design!

You know they just wanted to sell more toys :p

Regarding 08th MS Team - I've always felt uncomfortable with the idea of "Grunt Gundams" facing off against Zaku's on what was portrayed to be more or less equal footing (I'm aware that RX-79G was somewhat of a downgrade from Amuro's machine), seems like many things were done for dramatic effect for the purpose of just portraying a 'Nam style jungle fight with mobile suits.

[...]

Maybe but at least it was somewhat refreshing :)

That's where MS IGLOO wins out over 08th MS. Grunt MS vs Grunt MS. They should have been using GM's (and not just GM Head).

But 8th MS team is at least a decent OVA on it's own, even if it doesn't fit well with the rest of the gundam productions. 8th MS had good animation and decent-to-good characters and plot. MS IGLOO is flat out the most painful pile of shit I've ever watched in my life.

But 8th MS team is at least a decent OVA on it's own, even if it doesn't fit well with the rest of the gundam productions. 8th MS had good animation and decent-to-good characters and plot. MS IGLOO is flat out the most painful pile of shit I've ever watched in my life.

Wow...I feel exactly the opposite. I flat-out LOVED Igloo... :unsure:

I think gubaba would be quite happy with a gundam series where the planet or universe implodes.

Not really, but a more "light-hearted" Gundam is not something I'm interested in. Unless Tomino's directing it.

Take away Tomino, but leave the grimness, and I'll probably like it.

Take away the grimness, but leave Tomino, ditto.

Take away both, and I don't care much.