what tips do you have for finding great deals on your macross collecti

pondo

I find that wading through ebay searches and different japan suppliers can be pretty fickle. Any good search tips on finding that perfect deal?

BTW, I made the mistake of buying a yamato version 1 by accident...........NEVER AGAIN.

Edited by pondo

Just visit Hong Kong with an empty suitcase :lol:

Agreed, but I got mine in Hong Kong, but I went there on the government's nice cruise ships where I burn to death and then freeze to death in an effort to load boom boom on jets that go zoom zoom. My last visit to Hong Kong is where I decided to start collecting "again" because I just got paid and I figured I should indulge, all the other times I just drank and ate and looked at nice things and sometimes buy some minor accessories, but not this time. My acquired Valks from there are:

VF-22S Gamlin 999HK$=$128.88USD

1/60 VF-1S Hikaru DYRL 399HK$=$51.47USD

1/60 VF-1S Los vis 620HK$=$80.00USD

DX VF-25S armored 1198HK$=$154.56USD

Rule of thumb is to talk the vendor down if you buy a lot at once. Luckily I could talk the guy down for the low vis by a few bucks. Then I had it shipped home for free. :D

I believe everybody would say I got away with a steal for a "first time" collector. Now I get great deals and shipping times ordering from HLJ and OD and just driving down to the hobby shop that has a vast collection of Macross toys. B))

Now I get great deals and shipping times ordering from HLJ

Can't see how you get great deals from them when they sell at retail and their normal postage costs are beefed up quite a bit. There are plenty of other places that have their normal pricing anything up to 30% off retail. The only time HLJ prices are good is when they have their free postage deals or they are trying to off load stock that doesn't sell.

The only time HLJ prices are good is when they have their free postage deals or they are trying to off load stock that doesn't sell.

I think that's what he meant to say.

Rule of the thumb for me is to always seek new shops. HLJ was good at first, then toy-wave came up with their cheaper prices...which were offset by their ridiculous shipping quotes and paypal fees, then overdrive with their generally cheaper prices and now amiami. Heck, I've just gotten MP Grimlock from amiami for 9700 yen shipped.

I never buy Macross stuff from the boards, not that whoever sells them is dishonest, but more than often they have little regards to the pricing that is around them.

I never buy Macross stuff from the boards, not that whoever sells them is dishonest, but more than often they have little regards to the pricing that is around them.

Don't know what you're missing. I've purchased many hard to get & long OOP resin & model kits from these boards at way below what they cost new.

Can't see how you get great deals from them when they sell at retail and their normal postage costs are beefed up quite a bit. There are plenty of other places that have their normal pricing anything up to 30% off retail. The only time HLJ prices are good is when they have their free postage deals or they are trying to off load stock that doesn't sell.

I live in Japan so I don't get murdered by shipping in the least. Another note: there isn't an MSRP in Japan because the shop I go to has different prices compared to two other shops I've been to. It kills me that the YF-21 and all three versions of the SV-51 are priced the same. However the -21 is cheaper than HLJ's regular price and about 15 bucks more than OD. The SV-51 is cheaper on HLJ and OD by all means. Shopping around in Japan is tough because some of these places are out of the way and hidden it seems, especially if you aren't in Akihabara. :mellow:

well, I think its a little bit like fishing:

Have a few recommendations for good spots and after that, you put the line in and keep waiting til it comes.

Even better way if you can become good friends with the people who own those spots, or know someone in HLJ so that you can have insider information!

Edited by BlueMax

I live in Japan so I don't get murdered by shipping in the least. Another note: there isn't an MSRP in Japan because the shop I go to has different prices compared to two other shops I've been to.

Actually there is MSRP in Japan but it's just a suggested price and since the toy industry is so competitive they slash prices left and right.

And to the OP, join group buys! :lol:

I could be obnoxious, and say that if you have to look for a good deal, you're not a true Macross collector... but I love discounts. :)

Considering before this september the only valk I had was a 1/48 Hikaru 1J from ebay, I didn't really have a collection until recently. In the past months though, I've mainly stuck with HLJ and Overdrive, picking up on sales when I could.

I think the only valks I paid full price for were my 1/60 v.2 M&Ms. The rest have been free shipping deals or discounts. You just have to keep an eye out, and hope you catch deals on things you want.

Best deal by far is the YF-19 I am getting though (supposedly later today), and that came from Ebay. While it is possible to get burned if you aren't careful, it can be a good idea to keep an eye out there for good bargains. My 1/48 came from there too, and even if I may have overpaid a little at the time, I don't regret having a set of 1/48 TV fast packs. :)

Actually there is MSRP in Japan but it's just a suggested price and since the toy industry is so competitive they slash prices left and right.

And to the OP, join group buys! :lol:

Yeah, however price slashing is not too common and in my years over here, I've never seen a solid flat rate price on anything at video and game stores or even music stores so I still firmly believe in anything like an MSRP. And the only sales I have seen that were great deals were at clothing and shoe stores after New Years and clothes going out of business. I bought my VF-11 at the time of a "sale" but I believe they just forgot to take the signs down...but the VF-11 was worth 17770JPY. :lol:

The only problem I have ever had was shipping to where I live. I can spend $120-$180 on these toys but then add anywhere from $30-$50 dollars shipping per item and the screaming voice in my wallet tends to win me over.

Edited by logos

The one long term rule of thumb was to always shop smart, which meant waiting for sales. In a normal economy, you had to balance this with another rule of thumb: don't wait too long because it will sell out and - in the case of collectibles - be more expensive on the secondary market.

But those rules of thumb no longer count. The longer you wait, the cheaper it will get now. And instead of selling out, it will stop being sold eventually if things don't pick up.

Also, there is the flip side - namely - chances are no matter how cheap you manage to get it - it'll still be too expensive for you because you're probably short of cash. So what looks like a great deal is only a great deal if seen from the perspective of 2 years ago when you had more financial stability.

All of this boils down to: sure - in the short term, you can find some good deals, but in the long term, unless the economy picks up - we're all screwed.

Pete

Here are my rules:

Ask your self the following questions.

1. CAN I AFFORD IT? 2. IS IT ON SALE? 3. DID I BUY IT? 4. AM I HAPPY THAT I BOUGHT IT? 5. GOOD OR BAD DEAL?

Then follow chart.

1. YES 2. NO 3. YES 4. YES 5. GOOD

1. YES 2. NO 3. YES 4. NO 5. BAD

1. YES 2. NO 3. YES 4. NO 5. BAD

1. YES 2.YES 3. YES 4. YES 5. GOOD

1. YES 2. YES 3. YES 4. NO 5. BAD

1. YES 2.YES 3. YES 4. NO 5. BAD

1. NO 2. NO 3. YES 4. YES 5. GOOD

1. NO 2. NO 3. YES 4. NO 5. BAD

1. NO 2. NO 3. YES 4. NO 5. BAD

1. NO 2. YES 3. YES 4. YES 5. GOOD

1. NO 2. YES 3. YES 4. NO 5. BAD