The MW rewatches M7 together Thread

VFTF1

OK, that makes sense. Except that I was thinking Gigil wasn't human. If that's the case (and I don't know because I haven't watched the whole series yet) why isn't Gigil affected? Perhaps I'm jumping ahead too far at this point and maybe that's obvious by the time I finish the series.

Red Wolf is TERRIBLE about spoilers...best not to read his replies until you've finished the series.

Anyway...your question will be answered. Watch and find out.

OK, that makes sense. Except that I was thinking Gigil wasn't human. If that's the case (and I don't know because I haven't watched the whole series yet) why isn't Gigil affected? Perhaps I'm jumping ahead too far at this point and maybe that's obvious by the time I finish the series.

It is obvious by finish, actually obvious earlier than that. You'll understand everything about this enemy by the end. They made it purposefully confusing. It is actually quite interesting though.

The short answer without revealing anything to you is that Gigil is both human and not human at the same time, as is Gepelnitch.

I thought that might have been the case but based on what's happened up to ep 18 (I watched that a few days back, thinking that's what we were up to) it's definitely not obvious yet.

Don't worry guys, you haven't spoiled anything yet!

Are we on 18 yet? ;)

As I said, mickyg, RedWolf is terrible about spoilers. Try to avoid his responses.

I replied while the two of you were replying. Oops.

Don't worry, nothing spoiled yet. Just as confused as ever.

Remember RedWolf, I've seen nothing of M7 - no OVAs, no manga, nada. Everything up to Ep 18 is my experience thus far. I like going into this as though it was the 90's and this is the first time I've seen it!

I'll just have to be careful what I read and I should be OK.

Edited by mickyg

[*]And is that pain or pleasure on her face when Basara sings?

Just a few observations after watching this ep. I'm still enjoying it and am getting more excited by every new episode.

There's such a thin line separating the two, isn't there? :D

Nah, but seriously it get's more and more interesting as the series goes on. Many of your questions will be answered and some will not. Really glad you're enjoying it.

I can definitely hear the similarity...but the electronic modification placed on Sivil's voice makes it hard to tell. And the Flower Girl is pretty breathy, whereas Sivil isn't...

Huh. Still a mystery, I guess.

I've seen it quoted in a couple of sites that Akiko Kanagawa is the seiyu responsible for Sivil's voice. (She's also the flower girl as others have pointed out).

Don't know how reliable their info is. And it doesn't explain why they put a question mark in the credits. Maybe its all to add to the mistery of the character?

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Sivil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akiko_Nakagawa

http://myanimelist.net/people/749/Akiko_Nakagawa

I replied while the two of you were replying. Oops.

Don't worry, nothing spoiled yet. Just as confused as ever.

Remember RedWolf, I've seen nothing of M7 - no OVAs, no manga, nada. Everything up to Ep 18 is my experience thus far. I like going into this as though it was the 90's and this is the first time I've seen it!

You can watch the Macross 7 Plus back stories any time really. They are just that back stories, they don't spoil anything for future episodes.

Don't know how reliable their info is. And it doesn't explain why they put a question mark in the credits. Maybe its all to add to the mistery of the character?

As for the question mark my guess is that it was probably done to protect her identity at the time. In the off chance that Sivil and her hentai-ish screams of pleasure/pain led to an uproar from the parents of viewers the last thing you want is to be the name attached to Sivil in the credits if you have any plans of casting for future roles in daytime shows.

So yea... I'm going through Macross 7 for the first time (FINALLY) and am up through episode 12. It's actually fairly good, I didn't expect it to be as good as it is so a nice surprise. :) I'm also watching it to get ideas for Max and Mylene since I'm role-playing as them on different sites. (It sounds strange, I know, but it does make sense, I promise!)

I'm also watching it to get ideas for Max and Mylene since I'm role-playing as them on different sites. (It sounds strange, I know, but it does make sense, I promise!)

It'd be "interesting" to hear a bit more about those role-playing activities...Anyway it's good to hear that you're catching up with the "MW rewatches M7 together thread"...

Speaking of which, we've been a bit lazy haven't we? We should get to watching episode 18 soon :)

I've actually watched episode 18 already, and 19 I think... whichever one was Life Threatening Date, that it the last I saw, I just haven't done reviews lately.

mmh, well it seems that everyone is one ahead of me, but I think we should at least give episode 18 a couple of lines. I mean it does have 1 or 2 rather cool moments.

-City 7 is once again 'folded away' by the aliens after a short battle in space. The highlights of the battle are of course seeing Battle 7 ramming another ship and Gamlin taking Miria's classic red Valkyrie into combat. Seeing Miria' reaction to having her Valk damaged is absolutely priceless.

-I don't know if some of you will agree with me, but isn't this kind of the episode were Basara and Fire Bomber trascend the "rock band with a Valkyrie" stage and become "rock stars"/heroes of City 7?

-Anyone else wondering how come Akusho isn't on the fleet roster?? Wouldn't that be a monumental waste of resources (oxygen, energy etc). Maybe it's all for Basara's sake (since he isn't a fleet citizen either according to the narrator).

Hope to catch up to 19 and get up to 20 in the weekend.

mmh, well it seems that everyone is one ahead of me, but I think we should at least give episode 18 a couple of lines. I mean it does have 1 or 2 rather cool moments.

-City 7 is once again 'folded away' by the aliens after a short battle in space. The highlights of the battle are of course seeing Battle 7 ramming another ship and Gamlin taking Miria's classic red Valkyrie into combat. Seeing Miria' reaction to having her Valk damaged is absolutely priceless.

-I don't know if some of you will agree with me, but isn't this kind of the episode were Basara and Fire Bomber trascend the "rock band with a Valkyrie" stage and become "rock stars"/heroes of City 7?

-Anyone else wondering how come Akusho isn't on the fleet roster?? Wouldn't that be a monumental waste of resources (oxygen, energy etc). Maybe it's all for Basara's sake (since he isn't a fleet citizen either according to the narrator).

Hope to catch up to 19 and get up to 20 in the weekend.

I figured someone attached Akusho there without permission, but that seems a rather strange thing to do. It really doesn't make sense, I think it is just to add to the mystery of Basara.

I'll take a science call for episode 18. Battle 7 ramming that enemy ship. Both ships came out of that relatively unscathed. Battle 7 must not have been moving very fast.

The reason in science fiction that ramming the enemy ship is considered a last ditch move is that it usually will be the end of both ships. Impact dynamics aside, it is a simple case of the amount of energy released. Say Battle 7 was moving toward Gigil's ship at 300 m/s (rather slow for a space craft really) Kinetic Energy is KE = 1/2(m*v^2). Now I don't know the mass of Battle 7 so I will make up a number right now, estimating 1000 kg. I don't know if that is close or not. Gigil's ship was stationary. It would have potential energy in gravity, but it was in space here so assume none. That means the total energy of the impact is 45 million Joules (Newton meters)! In only one second (assume the impact only lasted a second like it seemed to), the collision would generate 45 million Watts of power. That is a lot. Also I said 300 m/s would be slow for a space craft. At the speed space craft move collisions generate enough energy to often vaporize both craft, or most of them anyway.

Battle 7 seemed to be moving at a decent speed there, so the fact that it just knocked Gigil's ship aside is dubious at best. Unless both ships are constructed to withstand impacts of that magnitude (unlikely, would be very hard to do anyway), some creative license was taking with that shot, which is ok for the story here. The writers pretty much assumed normal impact dynamics (conservation of momentum) like if both ships were billiard balls transferring momentum (Battle 7 seemed to slow a bit after knocking Gigil's ship), but ignored conservation of energy. So Thermodynamics is only a little hand waved, it is ok, since the subject tells us the Universe hates us an everything in it already. There isn't much more we can do.

Hi Guys,

I'm reading all your thread since begining and it has been great to see your insights on M7.

I just had to say Many thanks for all the fun ! It is a great thread, I'm totally adicted to it, want to cach up and maybe participate.

It will take a while for me to complete all reading and be up to date, but I'm making 2 to 3 pages a day and I'm on page 10 right now, I hope to be able to be up to date by early next week.

I'm a late macross fan , just finished watching all Macross media last week.

M7 got me really hooked...as such that I'm building a flying Radio Controled VF11C model.

Please keep up with great discussion and episode summaries.

I belive that there are many others enjoying this thread as much as I am.

Bombaaaaa!!!

I'm willing to bet Akusho is part of another colony ship that was being constructed, just slap dashed onto City 7 at Max's request as a part of "Project M." Afterall, Basara had to have someplace to practice flying. If he went outside the ship, the operators would have freakd out. If he did it inside City 7, the citizens would have freaked out. Akusho being totally off the maps & uninhabited makes it the perfect training ground.

I'm willing to bet Akusho is part of another colony ship that was being constructed, just slap dashed onto City 7 at Max's request as a part of "Project M." Afterall, Basara had to have someplace to practice flying. If he went outside the ship, the operators would have freakd out. If he did it inside City 7, the citizens would have freaked out. Akusho being totally off the maps & uninhabited makes it the perfect training ground.

That does seem like a reasonable explanation. If anyone had the 'juice' to slap a ship onto City 7 without it appearing on official fleet roster it would have to be Max. But wouldn't it also mean that "Project M" would have to be 7 years in the making?

Anyway, moving forward...episode 19 cries to be discussed and since no one has done an introductory write up, well, I might as well...

Please pardon the quirky grammar

A LIFE THREATENING DATE

Can you say 'action packed'?

This episode has tons of it. Sivil has found a Spiritia paradise in City 7 and is going about the business of feasting on the spiritia of its inhabitants (local fauna included). She also seems to have a rather unpleasant effect, in which she seems to make the Zentraedi inhabitants more agressive by her very presence on the ship.

While this is going on, Basara is grudgingly participating at an interview in a tv studio whilst Gamlin ang Mylene are on a 'dayto'. At that moment a group of disgruntled Zentraedi attack City Hall and take Miria and good old Michael hostage. Gamlin in true Die Hard fashion informs the police that they're not up to the job of rescuing the mayor (since when are fighter pilots more capable than the SWAT units of a large city police force to take out armed terrorists in a hostage situation??), and start shooting his way through the building. While his fighting skills are remarkable, his judgment leaves a lot to be desired of, since he allows Mylene to tag along for the rescue effort.

When matters are about to come to a head for Miria, Sivil rather conveniently drops in and sucks the spiritia out of the terrorists. Then just when she's about to feast on Gamlin, Miria and co., (and in a deus ex machina of massive proportions) she accidentaly turns on the transmission of Basara song-fighting the aliens outside the ship. Sivil then not only flies off to find Basara, but drives Gigil and the other aliens off when she does find them. Then of course she is unable to resist Basara's pure spiritia and once again flees...

This episode has some little hints, that despite the seemingly flawless assimilation of the Zentraedi into human society, issues and a certain level of friction still persist that surfaces in some cases. In that sense, it reminded me a bit of Macross Plus and the dilemma that Guld faced when having to control some of his baser impulses in order to pilot.

Questions...

Why does the narrator at the beggining say that the M7 convoy encounters mecha which they had never encountered before?

Hasn't it kinda been determined that the mecha were of human origin? Moreover we know from coming chapters that this is indeed the case as they are from another convoy?

Why would Sivil ask Gigil to leave? If Basara's spiritia affects her so much, wouldn't it be better for her if he was to be eliminated. Or does she want Basara's spiritia all to herself?

Good wrap up of ep 19!

I had those same questions myself. I would have to add the following observation as well - at the beginning of the episode, during the narration informing us of what's happened so far, Gepelnitch is shown taking the mask/visor thing off, as though it was a previous scene. I can't say I recall that. Did I miss something in a previous episode? He really does look rather womanly!

It is nice that that same narrative sort of explains that they planet is the 4th in the Varauta system (again, maybe that was touched on already and I just missed it) and that Sivil is awakened by a huge dose of spiritia (how much, it doesn't really say - was that the whole take up to that point?). I don't yet understand what Gigil's connection is to Sivil and why he's sort of gone rogue to get her awakened/being her personal detail, but I'm sure that will come. Oh, and Sivil sucking the spiritia out of the bird was a nice touch!

I was impressed with Milia's ability to remain calm under pressure during the hostage situation - that line where she tells Michael to get out of the way is classic!

Overall, an enjoyable episode and the suspense is steadily building. I have to resist watching ahead!

Why does the narrator at the beggining say that the M7 convoy encounters mecha which they had never encountered before? [Hasn't it kinda been determined that the mecha were of human origin? Moreover we know from coming chapters that this is indeed the case as they are from another convoy?

I think narrator focus is the The Mecha ability to collect human spiritia using that green bean, what he further reffer to as "Unknow Optical weapon".

That is what was never seen before and Humans don't understand what is it purpose or how does it works.

(Probably translation is not so clear, kind make us think about the Mecha not spiritia sucking weapon).

Why would Sivil ask Gigil to leave? If Basara's spiritia affects her so much, wouldn't it be better for her if he was to be eliminated. Or does she want Basara's spiritia all to herself?

I think that Sivil is playing Geppernich plan but also got a side plan of her own going on.(what is never really mentioned anywhere).

She wants to explore and understand more about "Spiritia Paradise" (or farm if you will) but mostly get a hold what's up with her when listeling to Bassara.

Sivils walking freely around the town among humans, shows how she got an idea/plan of her own, different from Geppernich that preffers "infiltration" methods and Gigils that preffers open war.

At this point I think Sivils is thinking "humm.. nice buffet, food unlimited" but at the same time a hint of "connection" to humans starts to flourish within her, she start to have "feelings" unknow to her

race, she want to see, maybe experience Human feelings.

She was the most exposed and affected from all enemies, maybe she had noticed and got a hint that Human fellings are the base for Anima Spiritia and therefore important for Farm Spiritia continuous regeneration.

She ends up this episode saying "Spiritia Paradise" and with a more determined expression in her face "Anima Spiritia" . To me this last sentence do not only concerns to Bassara, allthought he is her main study object, she seems to be looking for Anima Spiritia source. (maybe that is her orders...maybet Geppernich gave these order to her after all)

So both questions above kind give us a very nice positioning in the plot regards to where we are at related to Enemies getting to know each other.

They both got some general idea about each other, but they found especific and very intriging characteristics about each other and both found out that these deserves furhter and detail investigation.

(To me this helps up to the entire M7 plot a lot, very interesting episode !)

That is what Gigils mindset is out of sync with the rest of the plot at this point... he does not get it, everybody is trying to know more about each other, he simply don't care, he just want things plain and simple as always used to be, hunting and fighting for spiritia.

Edited by zerodigit1

Other things that I notice

1) Sivil's spiritia sucking bean actually can hit the entire face or boddy of it's victim (if she chooses so) , this is different from vampires and mechas that need to hit Head or Neck

(one interesting point based on previous posts when Bassara gets hit by vampire beam in the shoulder, any comments ?).

2)Also, Guvava, seems to be affected by Sivils presence, but not regular vampires. (why ? He is connected to Mylene, she is half zentrady, she also should be affected, any takes ?)

3)Sivil's influence to Zentradi is so strong that makes Miria misses Several shots, what an ACE like Miria would never missed.

4)Sivil got affected by Bassara's song in Miria's office when TV was turned on, but she did not got affected previousilly when she was in the top of a building (or antena) and Bassara was singing in a TV show. Later she got face to face with Bassara and fleed, sounds like distance to Bassara, not only music, is a major player on Bassara's affect on Sivil.

5) Something AMAZING happens here... Mylene did not went to TV studio with the rest of Fire Bomb band.. Yes, she left WORK behind to be with Gamlin !!! (of course, Miria should have helped a lot on this)

Edited by zerodigit1

Sivils walking freely around the town among humans, shows how she got an idea/plan of her own, different from Geppernich that preffers "infiltration" methods and Gigils that preffers open war.

At this point I think Sivils is thinking "humm.. nice buffet, food unlimited" but at the same time a hint of "connection" to humans starts to flourish within her, she start to have "feelings" unknow to her

Hmm, I'm not quite so sure about her wanting to experience human feelings. So far, she's been pretty consistent in seeing humans as nothing more than a source of spirita and sucking them dry of it. The only exception is of course Basara. Sivil seems at some level to hunger for Basara's incredible spiritia, but then when actually confronted with it, seems overwhelmed by the sensation it produces. I would argue that the effect of Basara's spiritia is physical, not emotional.

That does seem like a reasonable explanation. If anyone had the 'juice' to slap a ship onto City 7 without it appearing on official fleet roster it would have to be Max. But wouldn't it also mean that "Project M" would have to be 7 years in the making?

More like Project M has been in the back burner for several decades getting funding waiting for practical application.

M in Project M could stand for Music but what most likely it stands for is Minmay.

Basically an operation to replicate Minmay's success. Unlike Macross II where they blast Zentradi with pop music to confuse them here UN Spacy mostly deals with human criminals and cultured rebel Zentradi. Not much opportunity to test a Minmay Defense strategy. (Except stealing Factory Satellites)

Project M is originally intended for those uncultured Zentradi fleets. (Cue Fleet of the Strongest Women)

Also Project M may be wider than just Macross 7. Namely the Milky Dolls in Macross Digital Mission VF-X and Leon asking President Howard Glass if they should use music to the Vajra in Macross Frontier.

More like Project M has been in the back burner for several decades getting funding waiting for practical application.

M in Project M could stand for Music but what most likely it stands for is Minmay.

Basically an operation to replicate Minmay's success. Unlike Macross II where they blast Zentradi with pop music to confuse them here UN Spacy mostly deals with human criminals and cultured rebel Zentradi. Not much opportunity to test a Minmay Defense strategy. (Except stealing Factory Satellites)

Project M is originally intended for those uncultured Zentradi fleets. (Cue Fleet of the Strongest Women)

Also Project M may be wider than just Macross 7. Namely the Milky Dolls in Macross Digital Mission VF-X and Leon asking President Howard Glass if they should use music to the Vajra in Macross Frontier.

Remember a week or so ago when Mickeyg said he didn't want spoilers...? We're only on episode 19...slow down, mister. <_<

(and yes...I'm STILL pissed that you ruined a good portion of BSG for me. :angry: )

Hmm, I'm not quite so sure about her wanting to experience human feelings. So far, she's been pretty consistent in seeing humans as nothing more than a source of spirita and sucking them dry of it.

The only exception is of course Basara. Sivil seems at some level to hunger for Basara's incredible spiritia, but then when actually confronted with it, seems overwhelmed by the sensation it produces. I would argue that the effect of Basara's spiritia is physical, not emotional.

Hi Marzan,

Yes, I agree with your comment, that is what she has been doing, but sounds like that there is more than that.

We can see that Sivil, at this moment, is doing more than simply going out for lunch.

a) She walks around in the streets in the middle of the day, as if she is just another person.

She is just trying to capture what Human/Zentran do on their regular lives, how they interact to each other and how that affects their spiritia (Sivil can sense spiritia like no other enemy).

Since in Mayor's office there was a rebelion going on, spiritia level was higher there, that might have attracted Sivil to that room.

b) She orders Gigils to not attack and return to base.

Gigil's attacks, causes the pilots to get stressed and everybody in the city as well, so everybodys spiritia grows up high, ruining her investigation, She can senses everybody's spiritia getting increased due to Gigil's attack and not due to what they do on their normal lives...that causes her to lost her focus on what activities Human/Zentran do that maintain their spiritias.

That's why she asks Gigil to leave.

c) She gets confused when near Bassara.

Since she is the most spiritia sensitive one, getting near to Bassara causes her senses to go out of scale, that of course, to such a sensitive enemy might be painfull and joyfull.

Its like having a entire chocolate cake...(assuming you're adicted to chocolate). It feels great eating all of it,but painfull afterwards.

d) She is searching for something, what is it is not entirely clear or mentioned.

I think items above indicates that... she using her spiritia sensors to identify what causes spiritia changes in nomal human life, so they can plan/design Spiritia farm to do the same.

To me she is looking for the source of Spiritia Regeneration (anima spiritia), does it come only from Bassara ?, Is there a possibility of others in M7 to have Anima Spiritia or is there any specifics on human/zentran life that helps regenerate Spiritia or even create anima spiritia ?

It sounds logical (*** Dr. Spoke type quote :) ***), since , to me , protodelvin plan is following logical steps:

1 - they know the M7 fleet has spiritia (from first attaks)

2 - they know that this fleet has different types of spiritia (vampire investigation, sucking and kidnaping all different types of people)

3 - they know that this spiritia can be regenerated (this was confirmed by recovering spiritia from Alice Holliday- that blond singer)

4 - they are looking for Spiritia Regeneration sources ... this to me seems to be Sivils main objective.(allthough never mentioned, on purpose, because there is a twist in the next episodes)

With that last piece of info confirmed, they could complete Spiritia Farm project. Protodelvin could have wiped out M7 the same way they did other fleets (such as M5), If they were not looking for something.

Because Sivil had such a strong reation to Basara they might never be able to fully complete investigation on item 4 above, and this delays Spiritia farm project and the outcome of that in future episodes will be clear.

Edited by zerodigit1

Exactly. I haven't heard of Project M except in duscussions from fans about the series. I've deliberately kept away from plot synopses to make this is as fresh as possible.

Back to the topic, Sivil's reaction and method of "infiltration" into City 7 sure are different to the vampires, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to the next episode - although, zerodigit, you have hyped it for me! Hope you don't disappoint! ;)

Guys,

Just to make sure, this friday we will watch episode 20, right ?

If it is the case, I can make the summary ?.

Hi mickyg, I hope you enjoy it as much I WILL do.

My feeling about the Protodeviln is that they are meant to be pretty much impervious to any "normal" attack. The Macross 7 fleet can (and does) throw everything possible at them, and yet it doesn't do a whole lot. As long as they get spirita, they can keep going on and on. Hence, little things like "cold" and "air" and "pressure" matter little to them.

I remember being puzzled why Max didn't track/pursue the retreating Protodevlin forces? After the first couple attacks, it shoulda been priority one to find out where these guys are coming from.

I also had the distinct impression that the Protodevlin had massive forces since their losses never to seem to concern them.

Guys,

Just to make sure, this friday we will watch episode 20, right ?

If it is the case, I can make the summary ?.

Sounds good. I think some people might have already seen this episode but haven't written a review so please go right ahead.

She was the most exposed and affected from all enemies, maybe she had noticed and got a hint that Human fellings are the base for Anima Spiritia and therefore important for Farm Spiritia continuous regeneration.

She ends up this episode saying "Spiritia Paradise" and with a more determined expression in her face "Anima Spiritia" . To me this last sentence do not only concerns to Bassara, allthought he is her main study object, she seems to be looking for Anima Spiritia source. (maybe that is her orders...maybet Geppernich gave these order to her after all)

I found the following blog that has a somewhat similar take to yours on Sivils motivation.

Must warn though that it contains some SPOILERS so one might want to wait til after watching episode 20 before reading it!

http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/sivil/

I found the following blog that has a somewhat similar take to yours on Sivils motivation.

Must warn though that it contains some SPOILERS so one might want to wait til after watching episode 20 before reading it!

Indeed very nice point of view from Sivil.

The one bellow adds a couple of very interesting info about her origins and characteristics

Sivil Origins and Design

http://www.steelfalcon.com/Macross/sivil.html

IMPORTANT : Be carefull..Lots of Spoilers on that page.

Edited by zerodigit1