Revoltech Full Transformation Valkyrie

Funkenstein

• 2 weeks later...

Missed this one. Been a very staunch supporter of the Revoltech line, but I gotta say they dropped the ball on this one. This VF-1 transformable looks poor and ironically doesn't play upon any of the stylized strengths of a non-transformable Revoltech. In fact, this transformable has lost so much style it could almost be mistaken as a non-Kaiyodo figure. They should stick to the formula that's given the Revoltech line its incredible success so far and drop the idea of transformables unless they can build a sculpt that doesn't look like pants.

Missed this one. Been a very staunch supporter of the Revoltech line, but I gotta say they dropped the ball on this one. This VF-1 transformable looks poor and ironically doesn't play upon any of the stylized strengths of a non-transformable Revoltech. In fact, this transformable has lost so much style it could almost be mistaken as a non-Kaiyodo figure. They should stick to the formula that's given the Revoltech line its incredible success so far and drop the idea of transformables unless they can build a sculpt that doesn't look like pants.

I bought the VF1J despite the reservations I had and I must confess I really like this toy, especially in battroid mode (fighter isn't as bad as it seems in the promotional photos). But see my previous posts in this thread for a more complete review.

I've already been through this thread and I understand the concerns. My main criticisms are the loss of dramatic styling in the attempt to sculpt a Revoltech VF-1 transformable and the loss of form and function that is a core concept of the Revoltech figures.

I've long championed the design of the Revoltechs because of the anime-esque styling and the line-art-like proportions of the figures. That styling beautifully supplements the incredible articulation of the Revoltech joints, resulting in an unbeatable combination that looks amazing when the figures are frozen in action. Heck, the mono-mode VF-1 looks dramatic even when it isn't posed, simply by virtue of it's stylized sculpt. By contrast the Revoltech VF-1 transformable has lost nearly all the styling possessed by the mono-mode VF-1 figure. Take that dramatic styling away and the result is a an old school figure, such as that uninspiring GN-U line released by Yamato. That's definitely not what I want when deciding to choose Revoltech.

Which brings me to my second criticism, that being the fundamental form and function of a Revoltech. Honestly, what is the point of a high-articulation GERWALK or Fighter? There is none. Both those modes are largely static and already very limited in the variety of poses worth having in a figure. The reason for articulation only comes into play in Battroid. Hence, why bother purchasing a transformable figure if the impetus for buying a Revoltech is to have a high-articulation robot? This new VF-1 transformable is not a product that utilizes the many strengths of the Revoltech line. It sacrifices too much of that which makes a Revoltech figure what it is, IMO.

Edited by Mr March

I just read Mr March's comment about how useless it is to have a highly articulated fighter and GERWALK mode after I completed my review but I wish I had beforehand because that's a really good point. My full review is up on anymoon.com. Here's a teaser pic:

Kaiyodo-VF-1-Yamaguchi-10.jpg

I just read Mr March's comment about how useless it is to have a highly articulated fighter and GERWALK mode after I completed my review but I wish I had beforehand because that's a really good point. My full review is up on anymoon.com.

Your review and Mr. March's comment is pretty much spot on. I purchased the same VF-1J recently and yes it is a rather disappointing toy. Those wings that kept falling off had me swearing. I also had a hardtime with the peg that connects the back to the front in battroid mode.

That said, personally I think the battroid mode looks pretty decent. Maybe it's because I'm getting used to the lanky look, but I kinda like it better (looks-wise) than the prior Revo Valk. Perhaps it would've been better if this was a Revoltech Battroid Valkyrie V2.0 :unsure:

Anyway, I got this for less than $15 so I'm not too disappointed at getting it.

Your review and Mr. March's comment is pretty much spot on. I purchased the same VF-1J recently and yes it is a rather disappointing toy. Those wings that kept falling off had me swearing. I also had a hardtime with the peg that connects the back to the front in battroid mode.

That said, personally I think the battroid mode looks pretty decent. Maybe it's because I'm getting used to the lanky look, but I kinda like it better (looks-wise) than the prior Revo Valk. Perhaps it would've been better if this was a Revoltech Battroid Valkyrie V2.0 :unsure:

Anyway, I got this for less than $15 so I'm not too disappointed at getting it.

The main reason I like the battroid on the transforming revalkyrie is because the silhouette reminds me so much of the VF-2SS.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read Mr March's comment about how useless it is to have a highly articulated fighter and GERWALK mode after I completed my review but I wish I had beforehand because that's a really good point. My full review is up on anymoon.com. Here's a teaser pic:

Kaiyodo-VF-1-Yamaguchi-10.jpg

It's a good review. I like the review format and the brevity. Hits the points that are important and moves on. I'll have to read more.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought one of these out of curiosity. It's like a high quality version of the banpresto hehe. (heads were tiny on that too)

And although I agree revoltechs are all about the action figure doing an anime action pose, there is nothing wrong with attempting to make a TF revoltech imo. They are like mini-chunky munkey but done the other way around: they make them tall and really posable as opposed to short and stocky and very little posability.

Taken from RT.com:

Browner:Would have thought that a "collectible" would have come unopened, let alone with loose parts in the box. The seal on the bottom of the box had been opened, the box bent, and the "baggy" holding several of the smaller pieces together already cut open. EmoticonMad.gif

The wings don't stay on. Period.

BOOO.

Yup, that's RT.com customer service for you.