Preliminary pics of my custom 1/48

GreatMoose

That's a very neat job- well done! But I can't help feeling that 'shark's teeth' should be painted further back from the nosecone. In real life, that might affect the radar's performance...

It looks to me like that's about the only place to put it though. The blisters and antennae on the side don't leave a lot of room for moving it back. Where did you get those teeth, Moose? Those are great! Did you hand paint them or were they a decal. It looks really tight on the dark gray (or is that really dark blue?). I always wanted to see a Valk with a shark mouth...I wasn't sure if the VF-1 could wear it well, but it sure does. The yellow stripes under the insignia are a nice touch too. It's always nice to see some subtle coloration on such a dark scheme. Nice work!

Edited by Draykov

The color is black with a shot of blue in it. Straight black just looked to "blah". The sharkmouth is a custom decal. My current problem is the weathering. I'm trying to find a realistic shade of grey to do the weathering, and it's pretty tough. Any suggestions?

It's not quite ready to be transformed yet, as the paint and decals haven't been sealed. The panel lines are tricky. I think I'm going to go lighter on the lines rather than darker (ie, black). Does that sound right?

You might try (and this is just a guess, I've never tried it myself) a color called "insignia blue." It's the color used in the U.S. insignia on military aircraft and I'm pretty sure you can find it at a hobby shop in acrylic or enamel.

stars_and_bars.gif

I had "meaner" eyes originally, but I don't know, I kind of like the "staring" eyes.  Like it doesn't care one way or another about blowing your a$$ out of the sky.  It just sits better with me.  Oh well.

Yeah, I like the "staring" eyes. They're kinda cartoony, but still mean lookin'.

Edited by Draykov

Yeah, I tried blue already. Looks pretty funny. I think I'm going to try FS 38553 in a 80-20% mix with black, and a drop of white. We'll see what I get. I used a similar mix on an MH-6 Little Bird and it came out pretty good, I'm just worried about the slight blue tint of the paint looking funny. We'll see.

Yeah, I tried blue already. Looks pretty funny. I think I'm going to try FS 38553 in a 80-20% mix with black, and a drop of white. We'll see what I get. I used a similar mix on an MH-6 Little Bird and it came out pretty good, I'm just worried about the slight blue tint of the paint looking funny. We'll see.

You could try a gunship gray or something similar, but I really can't imagine how it would look.

Hah! I don't have any fast packs. I'm too poor. My valks are all second hand. Anybody got any packs they want to sell? :D I've got a scheme devised for them, so I was think about scratchbuilding some. We'll see. I'm not a giant Fast pack fan anyway. I like 'em, but I like the pure valk better.

That's a very neat job- well done! But I can't help feeling that 'shark's teeth' should be painted further back from the nosecone. In real life, that might affect the radar's performance...

They have special paint these days that doesn't affect radar. He'll be fine.

Hey Greatmouse,

Where did you get those teeth? Are they stickers or an incredibly great paint job? Makes me want to make a tiger version myself except with a 1/55 Bandai (can't afford to make 1/48 customs). That is one kick ass job. The shark does look unusually happy, but who cares? If you like it, that's what matters. I also think it is kind of cool having a happy shark blowing enemy pods away. It's like the Joker from Batman, happy but one mean SOB. Keep up the good work. :D

It's like the Joker from Batman, happy but one mean SOB.

EXACTLY!!! That's waht I was going for. Kinda of a killer clown kind of thing.

"Wheeeeeeeeee! - KABOOM!!! - Wheeeeeeee! - KERPOW!!!"

wow, that's a hella good job, and wow, you actually customized a 1/48 valk. You didn't even start on a 1/60 valk! And do you have any pix of it in battroid mode? I'd like to see how good it looks with white hands and a white head. :p:D:lol:

wow, that's a hella good job, and wow, you actually customized a 1/48 valk. You didn't even start on a 1/60 valk! And do you have any pix of it in battroid mode? I'd like to see how good it looks with white hands and a white head. :p:D:lol:

Moose mentioned earlier in the thread that the thing still isn't dry yet (no transformy for wet Valky).