HG and Robotech Debates

It's been a while since I heard something as well thought out as this regarding you know what.

That was the first time I've been to that page... Who is J T??? The podcast may be quite interesting, but I'd like to know who that is. I doubt Justin Timberlake (Let the rumors fly, Hahaha). Maybe tomorrow, I'll plug in.

That was the first time I've been to that page... Who is J T??? The podcast may be quite interesting, but I'd like to know who that is. I doubt Justin Timberlake (Let the rumors fly, Hahaha). Maybe tomorrow, I'll plug in.

JT is actually a good friend of mine who is going through the same BS as the rest of us on TLU

his podcast isn't very popular among the pro HG folks because he talks about the positive and the negative and we all know they don't want to hear the negative, especially memo who's been nothing but rude to him. He does a great show, it's very entertaining and different compared to the other podcasts that are only focused on praising HG. I do recommend it though ;)

One thing though, heading towards a slippery slope here I know, how do you celebrate Robotech as he says in the podcast in this day and age (with all the various connotations this questions brings up)?

What he means is just celebrating it for what it is, what it means to those who grew up with it, love it and so on. He's just willing to look beyond all the crap that has occured, and he's very dedicated to what he does.

What he means is just celebrating it for what it is, what it means to those who grew up with it, love it and so on. He's just willing to look beyond all the crap that has occured, and he's very dedicated to what he does.

So it's like the RDF Underground and/or Space Station Liberty then?

Edited by Einherjar

RDF Underground is more fanbase, but SSL is pro-HG.

Certainly a polite assessment, though not necessarily an accurate one.

Space Station Liberty is, for all practical purposes, the unofficial propaganda mouthpiece of Harmony Gold. They follow Harmony Gold's company line almost obsessively, heaping praise on every little thing Harmony Gold does, and are firmly convinced that everything Kevin McKeever says is the unimpeachable truth.

RDF Underground is a bit more fan-oriented, but still firmly toes the "Harmony Gold is wonderful, Robotech is the best thing since sliced bread" line. Of late, it also seems that RDF Underground isn't above taking cheap shots at the owners of other blogs and podcasts that don't always give a heavily rose-tinted view of Robotech... particularly newcomer The Protoculture Times.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

RDF Underground is a bit more fan-oriented, but still firmly toes the "Harmony Gold is wonderful, Robotech is the best thing since sliced bread" line. Of late, it also seems that RDF Underground isn't above taking cheap shots at the owners of other blogs and podcasts that don't always give a heavily rose-tinted view of Robotech... particularly newcomer The Protoculture Times.

I smell a double standard here. The host of RDF Underground actually tolerates dougbendo, but not J T? :blink:

I smell a double standard here. The host of RDF Underground actually tolerates dougbendo, but not J T? :blink:

Of course... dougbendo may be an ass, but he's also one of those delusional Robotech fanboys who hates Macross with a passion and thinks Robotech is superior to it in every way.

Zen72/JT, on the other hand, is not afraid to openly criticize Robotech and Harmony Gold's management of it, so the host of RDF Underground treats it like a second-class podcast.

Of course... dougbendo may be an ass, but he's also one of those delusional Robotech fanboys who hates Macross with a passion and thinks Robotech is superior to it in every way.

Zen72/JT, on the other hand, is not afraid to openly criticize Robotech and Harmony Gold's management of it, so the host of RDF Underground treats it like a second-class podcast.

Yeah it's true, he's not celebrating or drinking the HG kool-aid so the others think they are entitled to bash him.

So that's why I see MEMO and doug now playing nice recently. Their histories should make them hate each other, but I guess Robotech compromises everything these days.

Hmmm... The enemy of my enemy is my friend??? If that's what you're calling, it's true that RT is going down a sad slope of fandom quality. I'll check out J T's podcast. I do like Robotech for a few reasons, but I don't need a freakin' mouthpiece to tell me a bunch of half truths and BS during a whole podcast. If it's good, I'll keep listening. Perhaps since his name is "JT", he should open up the podcast with a catchy J to the T song, eh???

Hmmm... The enemy of my enemy is my friend??? If that's what you're calling, it's true that RT is going down a sad slope of fandom quality. I'll check out J T's podcast. I do like Robotech for a few reasons, but I don't need a freakin' mouthpiece to tell me a bunch of half truths and BS during a whole podcast. If it's good, I'll keep listening. Perhaps since his name is "JT", he should open up the podcast with a catchy J to the T song, eh???

I have it from no less a person than JT himself that his next podcast will be up soon, and that he's apparently going to be taking a number of different people to task, including MEMO1DOMINION, Maverick_LSC, and possibly dougbendo or Pizza the Hutt. It seems they've been giving him some crap about the content and format of his podcast.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

It's responses like that that reaffirms my view that the whole fandom desperately needs new blood. No more narcissists and elitists, address the piling very serious issues the whole thing is in.

I have it from no less a person than JT himself that his next podcast will be up soon, and that he's apparently going to be taking a number of different people to task, including MEMO1DOMINION, Maverick_LSC, and possibly dougbendo or Pizza the Hutt. It seems they've been giving him some crap about the content and format of his podcast.

You might want to inform people about doug's 300+(!) podcast legacy and what it's been about for years. I mean, have they really not listened to him this whole time? He's insulted these type of people, many times specifically naming them on his show, for the sake of a children's cartoon for a long time now.

Edited by Einherjar

The fandom needing new blood??? They feed off themselves, trashing their own, probably over some stupid crap like what McKinney novel is best, and where the SDF-2 was located at. I know those problems exist in just about every fan base, but they don't even have a strong fanbase to do that with, and with the way things are going, if they're going to eat their own from within, or make that attempt, there's always a low ground to hit, I guess.

The Protoculture's Times' premature demise is a forgone conclusion then, for not sticking to the fan-derived mold. I feel sorry for Zen72. What's the point of doing stuff like podcasts if you're being forced to follow a pattern and not offer new insights? And no, not "new" insights made by proud supporters of the establishment and extremists.

Edited by Einherjar

If a freaking hologram can win, that is :rolleyes: . Hey, maybe she can hook up with Voyager's Doctor :p .

I personally think that Rimmer is the ultimate holographic character (and he pre-dates Voyagers Doctor by about 8 years)

Taksraven

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=16

These R's toys is VERY VERY VERY rough....

Orz~~~~~~~

R's poor fans only have these OLD style toy, but M...

^^

Personally, I still prefer the look of the Alpha/Legioss. And don't forget the Beta! The newer Macross plane youve shown looks good in fighter mode, but I really dont like the battloid mode (not shown in those pix) at all. And the large Alpha in between display cases isn't a product, thats a custom made to augment that display section (its a prop').

They're waiting for the LAM to give them something new. By that time, the MF movies will probably be on DVD/Blu-ray, should a RT LAM even be green lighted for production. They can design new stuff and they tried, but it's just that they are pinning their hopes and dreams on a LAM-revival to move it all.

They're waiting for the LAM to give them something new. By that time, the MF movies will probably be on DVD/Blu-ray, should a RT LAM even be green lighted for production. They can design new stuff and they tried, but it's just that they are pinning their hopes and dreams on a LAM-revival to move it all.

Until that time comes, everyone is doing their best to keep people's attention through various means without actually having anything new to show for it. Everyone's stalling until the LAM comes around for the long haul.

You want my opinion on this sir. I think WB found out about the legal mess and gave a well deserved middle finger to harmonazy gold.

Even if they tried making new designs, they'll probably never match anything from the Macross series. The reason Macross aircraft look so great is because Shoji Kawamori was trained as an aerospace (aircraft?) engineer. Anything Harmony Gold would design would chronically be inferior.

You know, Harmony Gold should just cave in and make a badly animated direct sequal to Macross showing what happened to Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes without once using the name Macross and not showing us anything too reminiscent of Macross.

I imagine the following: Lisa has gone blond. She's now got short hair and due to a mutant spore contracted when the SDF-3 came into close radius of an exploding sun, she has developed a third tit. Think that six tited dancer from Jabba's Palace, only three tits, triangle formation, and blond - short blond hair - kind of a Gozer hair do. Gozer - from Ghostbuster - remember her? That kind of hair, only blond, three tits and doesn't look like she just came out of a bubble bath.

She lives with Rick, who now goes by the name of Dan and calls her "Titania." They live on the edge of a Black Hole - like in the Disney Movie, "The Black Hole" (I have the comic, it's awesome). Buzz Lightyear's rescue ship, the Tirelius, finally tracks them down only to find that at some point, everyone turns "Reverse color." Like in the G1 Transformers episode "The Killing Jar" (yes, this idea pulls in a lot of elements, aka copies them, from other shows - but it's Harmony Gold, so we have to make it a show that people will recognize as an HG production). Anyways - the SDF-3 landed on an asteroid on the edge of the black hole and turned into a big black panther wearing a white t-shirt, sitting like a Sphinx. The crew are close approximations of the Thunder Cats without Liono and Tigra. Or was that Cheetor?

Anyways, in terms of mecha, people ride around in Mad Max type trucks that happen to be Peterbilts and have flames on the side. They transform into fairly generic Optimus Prime look alikes.

The main battle takes place between those who want to go into the black hole and those who don't. It's all about which way to stear the asteroid. The ones who want to go in build an underground reactor to power some boosters they've built into the side of the Asteroid. The ones who don't want to go underground to stop them. That's basically where the Warwithin pirating stops.

In the end, Minmey appears and sings We Will Win, which rouses everyone to put down their guns and those who want to go into the black hole put on space suits and just jump.

The end.

The merchandise could consist of imported, repackaged TT Hongoli Gundam bootlegs.

People are dumb and won't tell the difference anyways - just put Robotech: The End of the M Saga on the box.

Pete