Would Yamato run out of ideas

shadow strikers

Like will they run out of things to repaint and make, because eventually they will run out of macross mechas, to repaint remold and make new ones.

I don't think it works that way.

The central idea - for Yamato, Bandai and all producers of high end goods is one: create a model/figure that is

a) perfectly accurate to line art/anine

b) playable/poseable/detailed

c) relatively affordable

As we've seen throughout the years, the VF-1 has been improved since the Bandai 1/55. Even Yamato not only improved on it going from the v.1 1/60 to the swing-bar 1/48 - but then, just when you would think they had a "winner" in the 1/48 - they gave us the v.2 1/60 which had the added benefits of looking better, being in scale to everything else, double-jointed shoulders etc etc.

If you look at the market - you'll see that the same figure - the same design - gets made and remade over and over to better standards.

As long as people love the anime or manga that the figure represents, there will be demand for better representations of this figure and companies R&D can be kept busy thinking up how to do this in practice.

So - nope - Yamato won't run out of ideas any time soon.

Pete

As soon as the wave of 80s kids that grew up watching and playing with Macross toys begins to dwindle (dies), Yamato has no further reason(s) to continue its improvements for the VF-1s.

Right. Just like Bandai's Soul of Chogokin line is an abject failure and big time money loser because all those kids from the 70s are dead too? :)

I dunno. I mean - ok - on the face of it, I agree with you that it will get harder to sell 80s stuff based on pure nostalgia; Macross included. But - on the other hand - the VF-1 is a kick ass toy in its' own right and can certainly be competetive with other stuff that out there, can't it?

Besides, Macross transcends just DYRL and SDFM TV. The franchise seems (for now) to be taking great care of building the idea that Macross is this vast continuity where characters and events matter - so all the new Macross: Frontier fans are sure to also eventually see DYRL and stuff.

I dunno - I agree it's a gamble - and you might by right GQ... but... if Macross is a cultural icon - then like Transformers in America - it won't die out any time soon and Yamato will have plenty to do.

Pete

If the powers that be could ever get past all the silly licensing and copyright crap; and a Macross (not Robotech) movie was made, a whole new generation will be exposed. There won't be a need for any new ideas. Talk about a cow with an endless flow of milk? The VF would rain in another wave of collectors.

The point is nastalgic is on Yamato side which lead to this milestone of constant improvements of the VF-1s. Unless the new waves of kids has knowledge of the 80s stuff. But I don't foresee the VF-1s to last another decade or two.

well the OP Shadow Striker is 16...

also don't forget other Japanese properties that has lasted forever such as Godzilla, Astro Boy, Kimba.... and so on.

If the powers that be could ever get past all the silly licensing and copyright crap; and a Macross (not Robotech) movie was made, a whole new generation will be exposed. There won't be a need for any new ideas. Talk about a cow with an endless flow of milk? The VF would rain in another wave of collectors.

I don't even think they have to make a movie, they can just turn Macross Ace into a new anime series in Japan and the kids all over the world will eat it up. Anime trancends licensing and borders because of the internet. You have fansubbers maing it available all over the world. I think Macross Ace is the VF-1's and the Macross's among other OG macross mechs way of getting back into pop culture.

Yeah - remember Agent GHQ that the internet means that things live longer than they otherwise would have if we were still living in the land of television sponsored marketing campaigns.

Nowadays, if an anime is good enough - it will last forever IMO. Or at least as close to forever as possible.

But I guess I'm talking from the perspective of Poland, where the 80s wasn't about Macross and Transformers, but mainly about hunger strikes, tanks on the streets and mass poverty.

But with the internet - now lots of people here are getting into anime; Macross, Gundam and other stuff - not just new anime either - lots of time it's the classics of the 70s and 80s too.

Again - who knows - maybe you're right - but I have a feeling the internet is going to not just destroy borders and boundaries between culture- but that it will also destroy the effects of time.

Time is preserved on the internet. 70s and 80s and 90s anime all have special moments which - so long as there are fans and the net ... will live for ever and new people will find them...

Either that or Pokemon will make a comeback, Macross, Transformers, and everything else will fail - and only Pikachu will be on store shelves :)

Pete

Besides, Macross transcends just DYRL and SDFM TV. The franchise seems (for now) to be taking great care of building the idea that Macross is this vast continuity where characters and events matter - so all the new Macross: Frontier fans are sure to also eventually see DYRL and stuff.

I dunno - I agree it's a gamble - and you might by right GQ... but... if Macross is a cultural icon - then like Transformers in America - it won't die out any time soon and Yamato will have plenty to do.

Pete

Totally. Macross shows us the truth of the universe that epic space wars will always lead to love triangles involving singers and veritech pilots. Such truths are so integral to the human condition as to be timeless.

Totally. Macross shows us the truth of the universe that epic space wars will always lead to love triangles involving singers and veritech pilots. Such truths are so integral to the human condition as to be timeless.

Valkyrie!!!

:)

Pete

Which explains his curiosity. And I'm willing to bet the OP is a MF generation, no?

Its a shame, since I really don't see MF being an anime I'll remember fondly in 15-20 years. It just wasn't all that moving or awesome like M+ or DYRL was for me.

Its a shame, since I really don't see MF being an anime I'll remember fondly in 15-20 years. It just wasn't all that moving or awesome like M+ or DYRL was for me.

so we all come to a agreement it will take a while till the ideas run out.

You forget we live in the era of remakes. How long do think it will be before someone gets the "bright" idea to remake the Macross TV series? They have done it with other anime. Crap look at Gundam and how many times they have rebooted that show....and not always for the better........Seed/Destiny=UGH!

But like a 1/2000 SDF-1 is it really practical? Don't get me wrong if they brought one out I would buy one being the sucker that I am but unlike my 1/60s I wouldn't see myself buying more than one.

No, Jr! What he is suggesting is that MF has already begin to dwindle...

Which is why I want Michel Bay to make a Macross movie using fans knowledge to make the movie, so everyone loves it it get more fans and we have more suckers to continue where we died and left off.

Which is why I want Michel Bay to make a Macross movie using fans knowledge to make the movie, so everyone loves it it get more fans and we have more suckers to continue where we died and left off.
Already in the works! Say hello to Spidey boy Tobey M who is also the producer.

that wasn't a "Macross" movie little "Rick" Maguire was planning to make...

Plus making a new macross series is okay, but to grab the kids so they can be life time customers we need some high end live actions full of destruction and adventure/ love movie. It worked for other cartoon series, *cough* transformers*cough* *cough* g1 80's movie*cough*

Yamato doesn't need ideas, Big West and Kawamori are the ones in charge of the ideas. Yamato just needs to license them. But as far as what Yamato does have licensed, they still have Regults, Glaugs, Nousjadel-Ger, etc to milk.

And seriously Robotech and Macross isn't the same. WB wouldn't have to get a seperate agreement with Big West if they were to make a true Macross movie. The mods don't want to keep locking your threads, so research the site a little bit so you can be more comfortable posting, instead of making an apology all the time. I know some of us have left links for you in the lock threads so make an effort.

Running out idea? Nothing to do with idea.

Yamato needs to have some guts to do something else other than VF-1!

Come on, so many enemies (Regults, Glaugs and Nousjadel-Ger, battleships etc) toys are waiting to be made!

And 1/60 Monster and Spartan.

But thanks to Robotech, I'd never know Macross as I do now. At least Robotech was what I initially exposed to.

Oh I, you and we know that, and those were great memories, but that's besides the point, they can't ruin Macross thank God. But i'll be open minded.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Running out idea? Nothing to do with idea.

Yamato needs to have some guts to do something else other than VF-1!

Come on, so many enemies (Regults, Glaugs and Nousjadel-Ger, battleships etc) toys are waiting to be made!

And 1/60 Monster and Spartan.

This of it this way, every VF-1 repaint you buy helps pay for those riskier lines down the road.

I think Yamato would gladly make other mecha since the 1/60 scale is the dominate one. I mean, we got the Q-Rau and the Destroids. Not to mention the improved V2 1/60 to top it off. But with the help of "Robotech" in the big screen this would help spread the word and draw in casual auidence.

Thus, more toys for both Macross and Robotech in the future. I think it's a win-win here!

Edited by Agent-GHQ

Agree!, but i wonder, just wonder what these so called "movie" variable veritechs will be like. rofl.

As i said i'll be open minded! How will Big West/Shoji protect the belved Valkyrie, they would have to be in the mix to allow their interpretation wouldn't they?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Bay screwed over the actual source and fan's knowledge in Transformers 2. I'll rather not have a Macross film, than him or Toby making one. Cause at the end it won't be about Macross, it will be about pointless fight scenes that look like the internal spinning of a washing machine, and stupid D*ck and F*rt humour made for the masses with an attention span of 10 seconds. Oh yes and can imagine the cast... Lebouf as Hikaru, Fox as Misa, Cage as Global... No, plus he would script the movie in the rape that is Robotech. NO THANK YOU!

Macross will live on, as it has for 27 years! Both the bad and good are still timeless. What is probable in my opinion, is the TV series remade with today's animation. I would love even DYRL completly re-animated identically to the original, but in Zero's style! :)