THE UN-OFFICIAL COLOR SCHEME THREAD

Hmm, now what do we have here...

vf25s.th.jpg

Very early in the WiP stage.

dude.. awesome! can't wait to see the finished line art.

(oh crap, 1,999 post... got to do something good for my next post)

I just dumped a bunch of pics in the toy pose thread. takes way less time than whipping up a new color scheme. speaking of new color schemes. since talos appears to be busy working on other things. I hope he doesn't mind me using his VA-3 line art. I think we need some electronic warfare schemes.

I just dumped a bunch of pics in the toy pose thread. takes way less time than whipping up a new color scheme. speaking of new color schemes. since talos appears to be busy working on other things. I hope he doesn't mind me using his VA-3 line art. I think we need some electronic warfare schemes.

Sure, go for it! I did my VE-3 Howler EW variant too, which would suit those electronic warfare schemes.

Sure, go for it! I did my VE-3 Howler EW variant too, which would suit those electronic warfare schemes.

that's the one I was thinking of, forgot the name of the top of my head.

Oh man, I can't wait, Talos. Finally, a non-VF-4! :p

Just for that... I'll continue to do more VF-4s as well! :p

vf25s.th.jpg

Had a quiet afternoon and got a lot done on it, but as you guys can see, -quite- a bit left to go before I'm anywhere near satisfied with it.

Just for that... I'll continue to do more VF-4s as well! :p

vf25s.th.jpg

Had a quiet afternoon and got a lot done on it, but as you guys can see, -quite- a bit left to go before I'm anywhere near satisfied with it.

Yeah, still a ways to go.

I don't mind VF-4s, Talos, I just don't like it that you only apply your colors to the VF-4. It's not really my favorite airframe. <_<

Says nothing about your skill. I like 'em, just not the shape, you know?

Yeah, still a ways to go.

I don't mind VF-4s, Talos, I just don't like it that you only apply your colors to the VF-4. It's not really my favorite airframe. <_<

Says nothing about your skill. I like 'em, just not the shape, you know?

It takes a lot of time and effort to work up a template from scratch like I have to. The VF-4, for example, I've been working on since May of 2008, the lineart since December 2007! The main reason it seems like I've only been doing those is that it's my only completed template. That's not to say I don't have any others in the pipeline, because I do. Here's proof of two projects! The VF-0 is in long-term hold, due to lack of motivation with it and a friend doing some VF-0 profiles over the past couple months. As you can see, I need to tear it down and start over, minus the Ghost. The VF-19F is currently in production, though, and I hope to get it done soon, along with some surprises related to it. I also have a YF-21, but I haven't been far in it and I haven't worked on it in a long, long time.

vf0aghostbase.th.pngvf19fbase.th.png

It takes a lot of time and effort to work up a template from scratch like I have to. The VF-4, for example, I've been working on since May of 2008, the lineart since December 2007! The main reason it seems like I've only been doing those is that it's my only completed template. That's not to say I don't have any others in the pipeline, because I do. Here's proof of two projects! The VF-0 is in long-term hold, due to lack of motivation with it and a friend doing some VF-0 profiles over the past couple months. As you can see, I need to tear it down and start over, minus the Ghost. The VF-19F is currently in production, though, and I hope to get it done soon, along with some surprises related to it. I also have a YF-21, but I haven't been far in it and I haven't worked on it in a long, long time.

vf0aghostbase.th.pngvf19fbase.th.png

I never said it wasn't a lot of work! Reminds me of when I did valk colorations in MSPaint. Took hours on end, and it didn't come out looking great. <_< I often curse myself for not finding GIMP earlier.

However, when I start a project, I focus solely on that, and it gets done quickly. Maybe we just work differently.

And I just don't like the VF-4, probably because it has the least exposure and apparently the most love. I mean, it was only in FB: 2012 and a game. I'm just not a VF-4 fan is all.

I never said it wasn't a lot of work! Reminds me of when I did valk colorations in MSPaint. Took hours on end, and it didn't come out looking great. <_< I often curse myself for not finding GIMP earlier.

However, when I start a project, I focus solely on that, and it gets done quickly. Maybe we just work differently.

And I just don't like the VF-4, probably because it has the least exposure and apparently the most love. I mean, it was only in FB: 2012 and a game. I'm just not a VF-4 fan is all.

Yeah, I get like that too, where I can focus on one and get a LOT done in a short time. The problem I usually have is that I'm usually at work or in class when I get a chance to work on something, so I can only do a bit at a time. It's a real drag! I also work on a lot of different things at once, since I tend to get annoyed at something if I keep working solely at it. Things were a lot easier when I just colorized them. Shading sucks like that! :lol:

I guess part of the reason I like the VF-4 is that it's a lot different then the VF-1, VF-3000, etc. It stands out to me, and plus there's the lack of animation of it. It's a neat design to me.

Yeah, I get like that too, where I can focus on one and get a LOT done in a short time. The problem I usually have is that I'm usually at work or in class when I get a chance to work on something, so I can only do a bit at a time. It's a real drag! I also work on a lot of different things at once, since I tend to get annoyed at something if I keep working solely at it. Things were a lot easier when I just colorized them. Shading sucks like that! :lol:

I guess part of the reason I like the VF-4 is that it's a lot different then the VF-1, VF-3000, etc. It stands out to me, and plus there's the lack of animation of it. It's a neat design to me.

Which is why the rest of the fanbase likes it, and why I don't.

Never liked the engines-way-out-in-pods design. The F-14's was about as much as I could stand.

When I get working, I get working, and stuff gets done faster than I'd think. For example, I made my first game Sprite edit an hour or 2 ago, and I did pretty good in only half an hour. It felt like 5 minutes, so... Time flies. Even got compliments from a sprite master on the forum about afforementioned graphics for something I did, actually, in 5 minutes.

It's all about when and where you can work, I guess.

Which is why I don't like this place being worksafe. If you're at work, you should be working, not forum posting.

When I get working, I get working, and stuff gets done faster than I'd think. For example, I made my first game Sprite edit an hour or 2 ago, and I did pretty good in only half an hour. It felt like 5 minutes, so... Time flies. Even got compliments from a sprite master on the forum about afforementioned graphics for something I did, actually, in 5 minutes.

It's all about when and where you can work, I guess.

Which is why I don't like this place being worksafe. If you're at work, you should be working, not forum posting.

I'm the same way, when I get working on stuff like this, I get working.

I work in a government office, and a lot of the stuff I work on, particularly now at this stage of our product development cycle, a lot of the stuff I'm working on is bounced around to either my bosses or our contractor. Since I work very fast, I get a lot of work done in a short time and then I have to wait to get stuff back, which is when I work on this stuff.

Those VF-11s look good, hikaru! Looking forward to seeing some Howlers.

Last Thunderbolts using the old template..no further request.

Ok..Hawks, Cowboys, Death Rattlers and Red Devils.

vf11cmarinehawks.th.png

vf11cmarinecowboys.th.png

vf11cmarinerattlers.th.png

vf11creddevils.th.png

Next the massive VE-3 airborne jammer as supplied by Talos.

Thanks, hikaru. I'm looking forward to the Howler, and already have a unit lined up for you: VAQ-130 Zappers. Speaking of the Red Devils, did you know one of their old F-4s is in the National Air and Space Museum's collection?

Thanks, hikaru. I'm looking forward to the Howler, and already have a unit lined up for you: VAQ-130 Zappers. Speaking of the Red Devils, did you know one of their old F-4s is in the National Air and Space Museum's collection?

Yup..a former Tomcatter F-4J turned F-4S too. I will look into the Zappers. Garudas and Ravens first..:p

Last Thunderbolts using the old template..no further request.

Ok..Hawks, Cowboys, Death Rattlers and Red Devils.

vf11cmarinehawks.th.png

vf11cmarinecowboys.th.png

vf11cmarinerattlers.th.png

vf11creddevils.th.png

Next the massive VE-3 airborne jammer as supplied by Talos.

Hey, Cowboys! They're the squadron at FW NAS/JRB, 20 miles away from me! :D

I'm the same way, when I get working on stuff like this, I get working.

I work in a government office, and a lot of the stuff I work on, particularly now at this stage of our product development cycle, a lot of the stuff I'm working on is bounced around to either my bosses or our contractor. Since I work very fast, I get a lot of work done in a short time and then I have to wait to get stuff back, which is when I work on this stuff.

Those VF-11s look good, hikaru! Looking forward to seeing some Howlers.

I know what you mean. Last school term, I had 2 tech classes, and in both, I frequently accomplished my work quickly, giving me free time to keep up with the forums. That said, most of my forum time was, and still is, spent at home. I even did a few things in Fireworks, during my webmastering class.

These Phoenix Wright sprites are addictive and easy. I took on a request yesterday to recolor an animated GIF of a character. Through every pose (A whole page of them), I'm nearly done, and I've logged over 100 frames, maybe even 200. It all depends, I guess, on how willing one is to move quickly, and how quickly they can move.

enough navy planes, how about something from the airforce...

th_71st_fighter_sq.png

Note that I hate the VF-4, but love the VF-400. :lol:

Sweet stuff anime52k8, but I would really love to get a VF-400 in a WWII F4U style like the VF-4 that Talos did awhile back. But hey it's your work I'm just happy with anything you post, keep up the great work man!

Sweet stuff anime52k8, but I would really love to get a VF-400 in a WWII F4U style like the VF-4 that Talos did awhile back. But hey it's your work I'm just happy with anything you post, keep up the great work man!

stuff like that is on my list of things I want to do, I'm mostly just being lazy ^_^ . right I'm working on sundowners; ghostriders, and bounty hunters sets as well as a VMFA-333 scheme. I'm also trying to figure out the best way to do a VMF-321 scheme: http://www.gaetanmarie.com/images/f8/f8-007.jpg

I've also got a couple questions. first, I was wondering if anyone knows how to do a convincing metal finish? I want to do a P-51D retro scheme. Also, talos do you think I could get the shield and text you used for your angel birds scheme?

@Talos, 505thAirborne

Thanks :p i was beginning to think the VF-11s schemes are getting tiresome now. The VE-3 should provide a fresh start.

@Wolfman, Talos or anyone

Know any good reference for VAQ-130 birds beside the low-vis version ? Came up with nothing after an exhaustive search for markings from the high-vis era except some EA-3 Skywarrior pics.

stuff like that is on my list of things I want to do, I'm mostly just being lazy ^_^ . right I'm working on sundowners; ghostriders, and bounty hunters sets as well as a VMFA-333 scheme. I'm also trying to figure out the best way to do a VMF-321 scheme: http://www.gaetanmarie.com/images/f8/f8-007.jpg

I've also got a couple questions. first, I was wondering if anyone knows how to do a convincing metal finish? I want to do a P-51D retro scheme. Also, talos do you think I could get the shield and text you used for your angel birds scheme?

Sure, email me or pm me to remind me to send you it tomorrow. Stars like VMF-321 are easy, I used them to make the SAC sash on the nose of this B-51.

th_USAFPanther3.jpg

What I did was add them to my lineart in MS Publisher (Since it has a clipart star drawing tool), then export into GIMP at high resolution and color the templates.

As far as NMF (Natural-Metal finish), my collaborator just posted this tutorial. http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20962.405.html See if that helps.

NICE!

Just wondering why you chose to use the old UNSpacy insignia?

yeah, if you want an in universe explanation... the NUNS insignia seen in frontier is the insignia of the Macross 25 fleet defense arm and is unique to the frontier fleet, just like how all of the Galaxy's planes have that cool G marking. the rest of the NUNS forces continue to use the older insignia. yeah, that's it.

really it's because the New NUNS logo is lame and the flying kite is the only marking cool enough to for it :D

Here is a quick preview of Talos' massive Howler. Still a long way to go till completion.
Looks great, hikaru. About those references for hiviz VAQ-130, well, I'd start looking through books on naval aviation from the 70's on up to today, preferably books like CARRIERS: United States Naval Airpower In Action by Tony Holmes, or A-6 Intruder In Action from Squadron/Signal Publications to start with.

Its been awhile since i last updated. This thing is a monster! Mostly i am done with the shading and moving on to weathering, i will try to it keep it subtle. Its far from perfect due to my limited skills but i am satisfied without getting a migrain :D

howlernewpreview.th.png

@Mr March

Your website is a wonderful source of reference for me. Your VA-3 section was very useful for me to gauge the insane curves that make up the Howler.

btw do you have bigger scans for the Dragon II ? Preferably side view. That could be my next project :p

@Mr March

Your website is a wonderful source of reference for me. Your VA-3 section was very useful for me to gauge the insane curves that make up the Howler.

btw do you have bigger scans for the Dragon II ? Preferably side view. That could be my next project :p

Glad my website was helpful.

Unfortunately, all I have of the Dragon II is already online. I've never seen any other line art for it.