Robotech and HG License Debates

This passionate hatred for Macross probably stems from HG favoring Macross (Veritech FTW!) and Mospeada (basis for the new continuation of the franchise) more and leaving Southern Cross/Masters Saga to gather dusts.

Or he is an a-hole for no reason at all, overcompensating for a lot of things. Nevertheless, people actually care about him. About a month ago I tried listening to a live show that he never bothered to show up to and one unnamed listener was very enthusiastic about it. In the chat room he/she tried to motivate those still logged on to continue giving their support for the Robotech Fan.

Edited by Einherjar

Why the debate of which series is more borrowed from?!?

RT doesn't borrow from Southern Cross because Southern Cross sucks.

Its kinda like how car manufacturers "borrow" design ideas from Ferrari, and not from Ford. Its because most Ferrari designs are works of art, and most Ford designs are butt plugs.

Or he is an a-hole for no reason at all, overcompensating for a lot of things. Nevertheless, people actually care about him. About a month ago I tried listening to a live show that he never bothered to show up to and one unnamed listener was very enthusiastic about it. In the chat room he/she tried to motivate those still logged on to continue giving their support for the Robotech Fan.

he actually has fans... who listen to him?

WHY?!!

It is not at all a rip off of the Yamato... you will see.

SDCC09%20VF-1S%20Stealth%205.jpg

EDIT - picture added to back up the statement.

Ripoff. Yamato has already used a similar paint scheme for the 25th Ann. VF-1S and YF-19

VF-1%2025th%2014.jpg

The Stealth VF-1J

Strike%20Stealth%201J%20small%2016.JPG

Edited by bandit29

Ripoff. Yamato has already used a similar paint scheme for the 25th Ann. VF-1S and YF-19

You're being way too picky or you need to turn up the brightness of your monitor. The Toynami is navy blue with black, gray, and gold accents. You can definitely argue that it takes inspiration from Yamato's 25th anniversary scheme, and some other inspiration from Yamato's stealth scheme, but essentially what you're really saying is "any dark valk is a rip off now" and that doesn't really seem fair.

All this complaining about the scheme seems silly to me. Is it out years after Yamato's efforts? Yes. Is it dark like Yamato's efforts? Yes. Is it blue like one of Hasegawa's efforts... well, kinda, but darker. There are hundreds of valid reasons to complain about Toynami's toys, whether or not this toy is original enough to make your panties wet wouldn't rank high on my reasons to bash them. I'm fairly confident with all the customs and everything else done with VF-1s just about any new non-canon scheme will have similarities to something someone released before. Seriously, there is almost NO orginality in Yamato's 25th anniversary scheme, it's a rip off of a thousand black with gold trim items before it and the stealth isn't that much more exciting. As to being slow to the party? Can you imagine how much more they would have been bashed if they released this toy concurrently with Yamato's and Hasegawa's darker efforts?

Edited by jenius

Why the debate of which series is more borrowed from?!?

RT doesn't borrow from Southern Cross because Southern Cross sucks.

Its kinda like how car manufacturers "borrow" design ideas from Ferrari, and not from Ford. Its because most Ferrari designs are works of art, and most Ford designs are butt plugs.

That's an awesome point. They take more from DYRL, something that's not in their continuity and less from Southern Cross and Megazone... hell, they'll probably take more from Flashback 2012 and Macross 2, and Plus before they take from their own comic books and novels.

That's an awesome point. They take more from DYRL, something that's not in their continuity and less from Southern Cross and Megazone... hell, they'll probably take more from Flashback 2012 and Macross 2, and Plus before they take from their own comic books and novels.

Excellent observation.

he actually has fans... who listen to him?

WHY?!!

Most of them are non registered users on talkshoe, so I'm not really sure. They probably ignore a lot from his older stuff. Maybe it's like how talking heads and pundits are still popular despite the crap they spew daily. He even tried to apply real world politics into Robotech at least once.

Most of them are non registered users on talkshoe, so I'm not really sure. They probably ignore a lot from his older stuff. Maybe it's like how talking heads and pundits are still popular despite the crap they spew daily. He even tried to apply real world politics into Robotech at least once.

Download count is not a good indicator...I download his stuff occasionally, but does that make me a fan? He must realize that a lot of his listeners are Macross fans, since he titled one of his podcasts "Why Macross Fans are Bitches," even though the podcast in question had nothing to do with Macross.

What I think he DOESN'T realize is that all of us are laughing at him (well, at least I am), and that really, he makes Robotech fandom look incredibly bad and unpleasant. I can't imagine he's "converted" anyone to the cause. Only the insecure and overly timid would be drawn to his brand of preening, self-congratulatory posturing, anyway. And that's not even including his racist and sexist rants.

Download count is not a good indicator.

I was talking about when you take a look at the participants listening during a live show these days. In the chat box most of the people there are non-registered users. At least one of them is enthusiastic enough to actually strike up a conversation during the show, ignoring some of the faults you listed. And that doesn't include the random people who pop in derailing the chat. Unless they're really people from here doing a hell of a job. doug must have found his niche in the fandom.

I was talking about when you take a look at the participants listening during a live show these days. In the chat box most of the people there are non-registered users. At least one of them is enthusiastic enough to actually strike up a conversation during the show, ignoring some of the faults you listed. And that doesn't include the random people who pop in derailing the chat. Unless they're really people from here doing a hell of a job. doug must have found his niche in the fandom.

Well, good for him.

I didn't mean to say that no one liked him, just no one with any taste. ^_^

I think the thought of someone out there Hanging on to every word Dougbendo says and treating it as if it is thought inspiring and motivational. Makes feel upset and confused. And at a loss for words.

Now if you said as a comedy routine then I'd understand Because I Laugh when i think about his vlog considering part of it is unavailable in my country. :lol:

I think the thought of someone out there Hanging on to every word Dougbendo says and treating it as if it is thought inspiring and motivational. Makes feel upset and confused. And at a loss for words.

There are idiots everywhere. And thanks to Doug Bendo, we know who they are. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Why are you getting your panties in a twist about how much people bash it?

I think Jenius is a 'glass is half full' kind of guy. And many - many on MW are the 'glass is empty and the type of glass you picked sucks so go jump in a lake' type people.

That variation in personality types makes for great debate, most times . . .

I looked at page or two of that Doug Bendo thread on RT.com and wow, I have had religious debates with people who gave greater concessions then him, that guy is seriously hard headed and refuses to acknowledge any other point of view beyond his own, even when the others are bringing in the scientific numbers to back up their arguments. Also, can no one on the RT board spell to save their lives or what? I know that spelling and grammar mistakes creep in on the boards, but man some of the errors I saw there made my eyes bleed.

I think Jenius is a 'glass is half full' kind of guy. And many - many on MW are the 'glass is empty and the type of glass you picked sucks so go jump in a lake' type people.

That variation in personality types makes for great debate, most times . . .

What you talking about? I don't know about you guys, but my glass is always completely full and even glows in the dark.

roysglass.png

Edited by Freiflug88

This isn't one of the threads I check into often enough... Enlighten me. How can HG use this design?

Here all you need to know:

Macross: Do You Remember Love

Harmony Gold also has the worldwide (excluding Japan) merchandising rights to Macross: Do You Remember Love. However, they do not have the film distribution rights nor the intellectual property rights to this movie. What this means is that Harmony Gold can legally license the distribution of DYRL merchandise (ie: Toynami's DYRL Super Posable toys) worldwide (excluding Japan). However, Harmony Gold cannot release DYRL on video, nor can they create any new animation or movies using the DYRL characters and mecha. Comic books and videogames are excluded as these fall under the category of merchandising rights.

QUOTE (TheLoneWolf @ Apr 28 2009, 11:49 AM) *

Macross: Do You Remember Love

Harmony Gold also has the worldwide (excluding Japan) merchandising rights to Macross: Do You Remember Love. However, they do not have the film distribution rights nor the intellectual property rights to this movie. What this means is that Harmony Gold can legally license the distribution of DYRL merchandise (ie: Toynami's DYRL Super Posable toys) worldwide (excluding Japan). However, Harmony Gold cannot release DYRL on video, nor can they create any new animation or movies using the DYRL characters and mecha. Comic books and videogames are excluded as these fall under the category of merchandising rights.

How the hell did this situation arise??

Taksraven

Taksraven

No one even knows who owns the international rights to the film footage of DYRL? so it's fortunate ANY company is claiming to have merchandising rights for it. There are lots of ways it could have happened though... selling the toys might have been where someone thought all the money was so they wanted less money for the film rights than they did the merchandising rights. People balked at the expense of the merchandising rights and got just the film rights. Once they were split from each other the value of the merchandising rights would have dropped. Then when it became unclear who even had the film rights the merchandising rights were probably all but shelved until HG came along and said "Uh, we'll take those." Anyway, that's just a thought for one of the ways this theoretically could happen.

Taksraven

Its well known that Tatsunko handled the production of SDF and DYRL. Since Tatsunko's initial deal for SDF's production gave them only the international merchandising rights, I think its very likely they just made the same deal with DYRL's production.

Then when it became unclear who even had the film rights the merchandising rights were probably all but shelved until HG came along and said "Uh, we'll take those." Anyway, that's just a thought for one of the ways this theoretically could happen.

The common sense answer to why they'd want them would be to keep any competing SW1-era Macross toys outta the US.

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/3-robotech...10&start=40

I'm sorry Seto has to deal with people like that. I'd say let them eat their fool's cake.

Somehow, I figured you guys would find that eventually.

In the beginning, I was trying to be helpful. I was nice. I was patient. I explained everything in small words that even an imbecile like Kevin McKeever could understand. The problem is that MEMO, like so many other die-hard Robotech fans these days, is determined to live in a fantasy world where Robotech is wildly popular and Harmony Gold owns everything Macross-related. I had a little bit of help from Maverick_LSC near the end, but then he bought into the bullshit and started an argument in Tatsunoko's favor where every assertion depended not on evidence, but on you accepting the previous unprovable assertion as the unimpeachable truth. Once I saw what was the wind was blowing, and that MEMO was prepared to continue acting like an ass in any thread that disagreed with his rose-colored fantasy of Robotech, I gave up trying.

Fortunately, it wasn't a total loss. Most of the RobotechX membership are the reasonable, intelligent folks, who left Robotech.com because they got sick of Harmony Gold's bullshit, and they saw MEMO's Harmony Gold company line bullshit for what it was almost right away. Some of them are so annoyed with MEMO's obnoxious attempts to defend the Harmony Gold company line from legitimate criticism, and his attempts to excuse the asinine behavior of several die-hards who attack any criticism of Robotech as the work of "Macross purist trolls" that they're building their own site.

(Somehow, I've once again been asked to recreate the Robotech.com Infopedia... does this surprise anyone?) <_<

In related news... there's a very interesting thread here: http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=31

It looks like the natives are getting restless. I predicted that the fanbase was going to get fed up with waiting for the live-action movie and Shadow Rising, but I didn't think they were going to start heckling the powers that be THIS SOON. More and more people are taking a good, hard look at the legal status of Harmony Gold's claim to Macross, and how it's going to affect their future properties, and it's producing some interesting results. We may see a concrete statement of the situation from Harmony Gold in the near future. It would probably be a very smart move, as it would stop a lot of the uncomfortable questions they keep having to try to shift aside, and the last time they tried was back in 2002.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The common sense answer to why they'd want them would be to keep any competing SW1-era Macross toys outta the US.

In the beginning, I was trying to be helpful. I was nice. I was patient. I explained everything in small words that even an imbecile like Kevin McKeever could understand. The problem is that MEMO, like so many other die-hard Robotech fans these days, is determined to live in a fantasy world where Robotech is wildly popular and Harmony Gold owns everything Macross-related. I had a little bit of help from Maverick_LSC near the end, but then he bought into the bullshit and started an argument in Tatsunoko's favor where every assertion depended not on evidence, but on you accepting the previous unprovable assertion as the unimpeachable truth. Once I saw what was the wind was blowing, and that MEMO was prepared to continue acting like an ass in any thread that disagreed with his rose-colored fantasy of Robotech, I gave up trying.

Fortunately, it wasn't a total loss. Most of the RobotechX membership are the reasonable, intelligent folks, who left Robotech.com because they got sick of Harmony Gold's bullshit, and they saw MEMO's Harmony Gold company line bullshit for what it was almost right away. Some of them are so annoyed with MEMO's obnoxious attempts to defend the Harmony Gold company line from legitimate criticism, and his attempts to excuse the asinine behavior of several die-hards who attack any criticism of Robotech as the work of "Macross purist trolls" that they're building their own site.

(Somehow, I've once again been asked to recreate the Robotech.com Infopedia... does this surprise anyone?) <_<

In related news... there's a very interesting thread here: http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=31

It looks like the natives are getting restless. I predicted that the fanbase was going to get fed up with waiting for the live-action movie and Shadow Rising, but I didn't think they were going to start heckling the powers that be THIS SOON. More and more people are taking a good, hard look at the legal status of Harmony Gold's claim to Macross, and how it's going to affect their future properties, and it's producing some interesting results. We may see a concrete statement of the situation from Harmony Gold in the near future. It would probably be a very smart move, as it would stop a lot of the uncomfortable questions they keep having to try to shift aside, and the last time they tried was back in 2002.

Or they can just continue to ban & ignore any malcontent fans like they always do, much easier. As for a reboot, I've been saying that forever. Bringing up Exosquad again, just enough influence to see where it blatantly came from, with enough originality to tand on its own.

The leadership of the site is beginning to look similar to the Macross Generation forum situation, with at least one member with "connections." Why bother?

Yeah, it seems some robotech fans are becoming more vocal on robotech.com these days. Love that guy called Sorral. ^_^

Edited by Macross007