HHhhmmm... What do I buy next?

ErikElvis

Hey fellas,

I pop in and out of the macross scene every few years and just started buying valks again.

I currently have

Full jetfire set

An old 1/60 yamato fokker

first gen 1/72 YF-19

1/48 super max

and have these on the way

VF-0 with ghost

1/48 cannon fodder

Now what should I buy next?

Wouldnt mind the 1/60 YF-19. The 1/72 looks kinda dated. I dunno. Reccomend any 1/48's or 1/60's to round out the collection?

Edited by ErikElvis

Ask and yee shall recieve...commercials :)

I've got two 1/48s in MIB condition (used but mint, sticker not applied) for sale.

Thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29373

Quote:

1/48 VF-1A Woodland Color Low Viz: 115 shipped 110 Euro Shipped

1/48 VF-1J Hikaru Ijicho: 115 USD shipped 110 Euro Shipped

OR

Get them together for only

220 USD shipped

or

200 Euro shipped

Shipping is SAL

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

If you don't have 1/60 v2 then I'd say get the one you like the look of the most. Same goes for the 1/72 Macross:F kits. Can't go wrong with either of those.

But IMO you shouldn't have to ask as you should have an idea of what you like?

If you have the bucks get a YF-21. The sticker shock is horrible but the toy is awesome. Also I would check out getting a V2 1/60 VF-1 and checking out Macross Frontier (if you haven't already) and pick up one of those. As soon as the VF-25 gets re-released in couple of months I am so picking on up.

Get the new 1/60 VF-11b that is coming out this month. We need more test pilots! :)

:lol: That is wrong on so many levels! Questionable Yamato QA issues come to mind. :blink: I think you would be wise to go with a 1/60 v2 or 1/60 YF-21 as it has (knock on wood) no known QA issues. Solid Valk IMHO.

:lol: That is wrong on so many levels! Questionable Yamato QA issues come to mind. :blink: I think you would be wise to go with a 1/60 v2 or 1/60 YF-21 as it has (knock on wood) no known QA issues. Solid Valk IMHO.

Hey, where would the Macross universe be without cannon fodder? :D

But yeah, I echo the statements that he might want to check out a 1/60 2.0. As long as it's not the 1S Roy.

Man I really dont know. I love the 19 and the 1/60 looks great but since I already have the 1/72 Im kinda hesitant. I would like to get the 21 as I just watched macross plus last night and it was everything I remembered. Only thing is I think the 21 looks bad in gerwalk and battroid modes.

Im not into the frontier stuff. I only like the VF-0 from zero. So I think I need to stick to the roots.

So many decisions. Wasnt like this 15yrs ago!

Edited by ErikElvis

Im not into the frontier stuff. I only like the VF-0 from zero. So I think I need to stick to the roots.

hope you get the new re-issue VF-0S... it's so much tighter than the old one...

So many decisions. Wasnt like this 15yrs ago!

be glad that there are alot of macross stuff to choose from... and 15 years ago most of us didn't have enough of our own $$$ yet to buy these ridiculously expensive (but hella-fun) toys... ^_^

and 15 years ago most of us didn't have enough of our own $$$ yet to buy these ridiculously expensive (but hella-fun) toys

This is a good point, and it sure takes me back...to...when was it? ... I think 2005 actually...

That was when I decided to get some Macross toys. Initially, I was frightened off from inquiring about them by their price. It's kind of like - oh my god - one figure costs how much?... I mean - these were days when 50 bucks was the sort of top tier of high priced goods and could only be justified if the item in question was something like Armada Unicron...

But once I got my hand on Yamato products - even "old" yamato products by today's standards - that was it. That was the beginning of the end for Transformers.

The thinking was simple:

Yeah, sure - these things cost 10 bucks to 15 bucks a pop on average... but hey look - I have like one thousand of them and NONE OF THEM come anywhere close to the detail, sculpt accuracy, and engineering of Yamato. One thousand times 10 or 15 bucks a pop...

that's a lot of VF-1s!!

So - price, and what is "high priced and not" is always relative - which I "knew" in theory but only really experienced for the first time with these things. Yamatos are NOT expensive for what you get (as long as you get a QC free one). Transformers and other figures ARE expensive given how relatively sloppy they are.

My point? I don't know about you guys - but in terms of income mine has been pretty much the same, except for last year when I started my business and basically lived off of rice for a year and did nothing, saw nobody, and basically went to see a movie once every two months.. Now I think (knock on wood) I have money again - or at the very least my cash flow has definitely grown (it's April so I still haven't actually DONE my taxes)...

So - for me - it wasn't that now I have "more" money compared to back then - it's rather that because I was introduced to other Japanese robot toys and not only stuck with Transformers, I realized that there's a heck of a lot to choose from and started being more selective in what I wanted to have in my collection.

Pete

well said, couldnt have agreed more

This is a good point, and it sure takes me back...to...when was it? ... I think 2005 actually...

But once I got my hand on Yamato products - even "old" yamato products by today's standards - that was it. That was the beginning of the end for Transformers.

Pete

it was exactly the same scenario for me, from transformers to macross...

except it only happened to me at 2007 <_<

That was when I decided to get some Macross toys. Initially, I was frightened off from inquiring about them by their price. It's kind of like - oh my god - one figure costs how much?... I mean - these were days when 50 bucks was the sort of top tier of high priced goods and could only be justified if the item in question was something like Armada Unicron...

The thinking was simple:

Yeah, sure - these things cost 10 bucks to 15 bucks a pop on average... but hey look - I have like one thousand of them and NONE OF THEM come anywhere close to the detail, sculpt accuracy, and engineering of Yamato. One thousand times 10 or 15 bucks a pop...

yeah... for the fun of it and absolute gorgeousness, the cost is justified imo. but it is damn addictive, i must say... :lol:

but he did say 15 years ago... unless you're in your forties, most of us here were still in college and living w/ our parents back then... and girls were top priority back then ^_^.

well said, couldnt have agreed more

it was exactly the same scenario for me, from transformers to macross...

except it only happened to me at 2007 <_<

Same here, i did collect transformers some years back, then decided they just were never gonna be as detailled and big as i as a grownup fan wanted (with the exception for some masterpiece TFs), so i went to gundam PGs and macross valkyries to get some really nice looking stuff.

As for a recommendadtion, i like the yamato 1/48 VF-1A low vis 2 + armor, nice realistic paintjob

but he did say 15 years ago... unless you're in your forties, most of us here were still in college and living w/ our parents back then... and girls were top priority back then

15 years ago I was 15 years old. Girls thought I was wierd - except this one chick who ended up kissing me when I was 16 (my first kiss:) ) Nicole Dusang (Of Blood!) Great name, nice red-head :) I was into Transformers and sci-fi and all the same stuff I'm into now. Only now, I'm also making money off it :) woot :)

Pete

Yeah Im not that old. I was 14 15 years ago but I have always collected something. I really bought my first valk 9 or 10 years ago. I bought Jetfire in the box off of a guy in highschool. He said it was too complicated for him so he never played with it. Just now I need to fill my deltolf cabinet. I did have a lot of WW2 German things in them but now they are all packed away and safe.

The thinking was simple:

that's a lot of VF-1s!!

So - price, and what is "high priced and not" is always relative - which I "knew" in theory but only really experienced for the first time with these things. Yamatos are NOT expensive for what you get (as long as you get a QC free one). Transformers and other figures ARE expensive given how relatively sloppy they are.

My point? I don't know about you guys - but in terms of income mine has been pretty much the same, except for last year when I started my business and basically lived off of rice for a year and did nothing, saw nobody, and basically went to see a movie once every two months.. Now I think (knock on wood) I have money again - or at the very least my cash flow has definitely grown (it's April so I still haven't actually DONE my taxes)...

So - for me - it wasn't that now I have "more" money compared to back then - it's rather that because I was introduced to other Japanese robot toys and not only stuck with Transformers, I realized that there's a heck of a lot to choose from and started being more selective in what I wanted to have in my collection.

Pete

I will agree and disagree with your view on Transformers and Yamato. First off Takara was making great transformer robot mecha toys before yamato even knew what a robot was. Look back to the G1 toys. Diecast, realistic vehicles that changed to mecha. Sure you could pose them much but the ingenuity surpassed many companies at that time. Something I dont think yamato has. Yes I agree yammies are very nice adult collection material but lets compare that to Taktomys MP line. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I could throw my MP prime against a wall and it would survive if not putting a hole in the wall. Transform a yammie once and pray to the almighty it doesnt crumble. I have all of the MP line and none of them suffer the ill fated woes of many here experienced with yammies. Then comes Hasbro and pics up the license. Like most things american the ability is there but its always chosen half ass materials and molds. So there is another distinguishing factor Hasbro vs Takara. Case in point. the cloassics line. Very nice line up of modernized toys from the original g1 line. Compare the Hasbro to takara and you notice the difference. Better paint apps, better plastic better all around with the Takara brand. So no transformer toys are not all that bad. We have the binaltechs! which by quality far outweighs the accuracy of Yammies. We have the MP line. We have the Classics and lets say the jap line from that. The new alternity and for some wow factor the THS line. I want to see bandai or Yammie do what Takara did in that scale of the THS.

And lets give some credit to the americans for once. UMMMMM BEAST WARS anyone. That line pretty much brought a lot of people back into the fold. Otherwise I doubt we would have classics MPs and so on or some of the other toy lines and companies ie Yamato, CMs and maybe bandai. Those toys were pretty nice. THe transmetals especially. For the first time you didnt have to look for the weapons. The ball and joint technology used was great for posing. I mean I wont give up my Beast wars collection. EVER! Now there have been some very good movie toys as well. From the first movie (first I must mention I hated the first movie not whiny like fanboy hate but it was badly scripted and just made no sense to an intelligent viewer) were pretty good in quality. Ratchet, 08 BB, Prime, Demolisher. Look at the remold of the new Movie Prime. Holy smokes. Again looks like a real friggen semi and real accruate robot mode. You can transform it a million times ok not a million but close enough and it wont fall apart and it FIT NICELY WITH SOME OF THE MORE ADULT MECHA in your collection. Now you may criticize the fact that Takara is an older more experienced toy company HOGWASH. So after a few rides in the hay you dont think you learned enough to be good at doing the mambo! Come on shitty excuse. Yammy has been around for a while and they still cant get there qc in order. I was tempted at getting their 1/60 Vf line but got turned off about the QC comments. Who cares about detail when the thing that makes it detailed falls off! And when Takara went into other mecha lines ie MP Brave Lion ....sorry cant really remember that name but you know what I mean. Wow. Did a great job there. Even CMs which I have two of there Brave Gaogaigar is better than a Yammie. Bandai figured out pretty early in the game that a swing bar would give them a perfect transforing mecha while the old 1/72 you had to rip out the legs??? So the wheel was invented the came out with a square wheel and then though it would be better to make a round wheel??? Thas farted up!

Anyway I tip my hat to my transformer collection which is the reason why I appreciate all the other great mecha manufacturing companies ie Yammy, CMs Bandai and so forth.

but he did say 15 years ago... unless you're in your forties, most of us here were still in college and living w/ our parents back then... and girls were top priority back then ^_^.

15 years ago, I was a 19 year kid out on my own trying to find my way; and knew nothing of Macross! If only I knew then what I know now. I had the dough, but certainly not the knowledge to be gobbling up 1/55 scale chunky monkies for cheap! :blink:

The thinking was simple:

that's a lot of VF-1s!!

Pete

I've told this story more than once here, but the points you have made coincide with my love affair for Yamato Macross stuff. I remember when I first started looking for a G1 Jetfire in January of 2008. I was totally shocked that a mint one was going for upwards of $200 or more. I'd rather walk through hell with gasoline drawlz before I spent that kind of loot on a "toy". Fast forward to my first Yamato Valk, and the question of price went out the window. I was clueless to what Macross and "Do You Remember Love" was but knew they had "Jetfires" in "different colors". I remember scoffing at a "black and yellow" Jetfire. Hell, all I needed was one that had Jetfire's color scheme. Here I am a year later with a little more knowledge on the show and what not and I feel as you do as far as the accuracy of Yamato's toys (QC is anothe issue). The engineering behind these "toys" is incredible. I also remember falling out of love with the hope of obtaining a pristine Jetfire once I got a Yamato Valk as well as not being appalled at the steep price. Very much worth it in my opinion.