Gundam Fix #013 "Deep Striker"

MacBoy29

I think this edition of the Gundam Fix series toys looks cool.

What do you guys think, and what whould you guys rather have;

a) This Deep Striker Gundam Fix or

b) the 1/48 Super VF-1J

Gfix13.jpg

:ph34r:

Except for certain issues about pieces falling off unless securely fastened, public opinion around here gives major props to the Deep Striker.

All in all, I don't think anything we can say will help sway your decision. GFF are good toys, but so are the 1/48's. You'll probably have to decide which one you want more.

One thing to keep in mind is that the GFF's, and to a lesser extent the 1/48's, are NOT playing toys. They're best if you find a pose you like and then leave them be so they can just sit there and look pretty.

The FIX Deep Striker is basically a beautiful display piece. You can't really play with it. It's made mostly out of PVC, so some parts may deform in warm weather or over time due to its sheer weight. If you like the design a lot, it's definitely much cheaper than buying the super-expensive even larger 1/100 resin kit. Otherwise, the 1/48 would be a better value. Relatively.

I would much rather have the 1/48 super vf-1j all the way. No question about it. Especially if your a macross fan. The 1/48 is detailed but it also can transform. From what I heard about that deep striker it's pretty heavy that over time if you display it, gravity takes hold of this sucker and the some parts start to bend downward. But the 1/48 has my vote! :p:D:lol:

Ahhh. Bandai 1/144 FIX figuration figures and Yamato 1/48 Valks. These are are my current favourite toys that I collect. As to which one I like more?

Well...I have to say that the 1/48 VF-1 is probably the superior piece, in terms of quality. It can also transform through an ingenius sequence into 3 modes without removing any pieces. Even though it is far more expensive than most FIX figures, I would recommend buying the 1/48 over the FIX Deep Striker, if you had to choose between them. Ideally, get both!!

I personally have 3 1/48 VF-1's, with a 4th coming. I keep saying each time that it's going to be my last one, but I always cave in because of Macross World reports and pictures. I think they are the most beautiful rendition of the VF-1, ever.

With regards to FIX figures, I don't have the Deep Striker, but I do own GP-01, Nu Gundam HWS, EX-S, GP04 Gerbera, and most recently the Red Zeta Plus. I also love these figures, as they are the best rendition of Gundam, 2nd only to Master Grade or Perfect Grade models. I don't model, so the FIX figures make great display pieces for me. As many here have already said, you can't "play" with them very much, but they look damn good!

Bottom line: In my opinion, get the 1/48 VF-1. You get to "play" with a fully transformable toy that looks great and is huge.

The FIX Deep Striker is basically a beautiful display piece. You can't really play with it. It's made mostly out of PVC, so some parts may deform in warm weather or over time due to its sheer weight. If you like the design a lot, it's definitely much cheaper than buying the super-expensive even larger 1/100 resin kit. Otherwise, the 1/48 would be a better value. Relatively.

Yeah I have this problem with mine, the large gun sags to the side a little. Any idea for a cure?

Yeah I have this problem with mine, the large gun sags to the side a little. Any idea for a cure?

Dengeki Hobby ran a couple of FIX articles in the past about cleaning up paint oversprays and straightening warped barrels and such. I recall the method was basically to cut the barrel off, then drill a shaft into it to hold a supporting piece of wire or metal rod. However, I wonder if such methods would work for the mega cannon on the FIX DS...

Alternatively, you might want to consider replacing the barrel completely with your own custom part. Maybe get real copper tubing in the right diameter and paint it over in white? I have seen a finished model of the 1/100 DS kit at a local hobby shop, the bend in the cannon is much, much worse!

You can always get another macross toy if there's no Yamato...some X company might come out with the ultimate-ultimate VF resin kit or whatever toy...eventually. If you don't get it by christmas there's a birthday coming up next year BUT but to this point in time I have only seen one Deep striker masterfully made in GFF trend and such is a unique piece; your other choice is a $400 or so resin kit.

drifand, you took the words right out of my mouth. :)

That's pretty much about it. Pros: nice details, it's just nice to look at. Cons: deformation of parts, you run the risk of getting one with sloppy paint or badly assembled parts in some areas, mine has the head's joint put a little towards the right, so it doesn't have a straight head. =/ The backpack of the S-Gundam has some problems there too.

You run a risk of such things for the FIX line, but if you don't take a close look, it doesn't matter. If you want to play with it a lot, try the VF-1J.

Check out this review of the GFF-13 here http://www.fantoysia.com/toy/gff_dstrikegst.htm

FOr personal opinion, it depends if you wish a toy or something cool to display, if you like playing around with your toys go for the 1/48, you can't get a better toy, but if you whant a unique bad ass piece to show off, then I would go with the GFF-13 Deep Striker

Choice is up to you, have fun with any of them and don't regret your choice, they are both really cool :lol:

• 1 year later...

So it's been a few years since this thread was started --

Anyone have anything new to report? I'm considering getting a Deep Striker - It's the ultimate machine from the Gundam Sentinel universe, and one helluva impresive looking toy. However, some of the things I've read here are making me apprehensive about it.

So it's been a few years since this thread was started --

Anyone have anything new to report?  I'm considering getting a Deep Striker - It's the ultimate machine from the Gundam Sentinel universe, and one helluva impresive looking toy.  However, some of the things I've read here are making me apprehensive about it.

323319[/snapback]

i'd say just get it mate. I wasn't disappointed. I think the Gundam Sentinel line for the GFF were the best in quality and design. I absolutely love my EX-S Task force Alpha and Deep Striker. I'm having some trouble finding a good display space for the deep striker, as some of you might know it can't really fit into the DETOLF, big cannon and all. :(

gundam fix figures are made of soft PVC...which if you were like me, living in a warm place and can't have the AC on all the time...things like the hip attached gun will start drooping.

I like the overall design of the figure...but not when it looks like something from looney tunes. it's now back in it's box and waiting for the big move into a cooler house...

gundam fix figures are made of soft PVC...which if you were like me, living in a warm place and can't have the AC on all the time...things like the hip attached gun will start drooping.

I like the overall design of the figure...but not when it looks like something from looney tunes.  it's now back in it's box and waiting for the big move into a cooler house...

323401[/snapback]

What else would be an example of this "soft" pvc? Is it the type of stiff plastic that you can easily mark up with a fingernail?

I have a very old, 4" Tall 1/200 Gundam F-91 from the early 90's. It's stiff, shiny plastic, but the shoulder fins were definately the sort of plastic I could snap or mark up. Are these made entirely of this material?

the deepstriker is real nice I have 2 of them, i recommend one. they are cheaper than a valk if you look around and it makes a nice display piece.

chris

I like the overall design of the figure...but not when it looks like something from looney tunes.  it's now back in it's box and waiting for the big move into a cooler house...

323401[/snapback]

What else would be an example of this "soft" pvc? Is it the type of stiff plastic that you can easily mark up with a fingernail?

I have a very old, 4" Tall 1/200 Gundam F-91 from the early 90's. It's stiff, shiny plastic, but the shoulder fins were definately the sort of plastic I could snap or mark up. Are these made entirely of this material?

323408[/snapback]

Its the stuff that you can bend in hot temperatures. Its the same stuff most gashapon are made off, but abit more in density. I personally have no problem with the Deep Striker despite being in a hot tropical country, but wouldn't be surprised if it really does bend. But its easily correctable, though not permanent. Just dip the droopy part in hot water, and then bend it back to shape, and dip it back in cold water.