Macross II now

pfunk

Have about a 1/2 hour left of the movie.

Dont care for it too much except for the "good guy" mecha, the zentradi mecha sucks. Im watching the English version and except for the main charictors voices, it sucks. I love the VF-2ss. Ishtar is pretty good to look at with those child bearing hips. Is it me, or did they have a completly diferent designer for the enemy mech', they look like large heads flying around going through a mid aged balding crisis.

IMHO

Yeah, Macross II was pretty mediocre in my opinion. It has it's merits, but aside from the VF-2SS's fighter mode (I've always thought battroid mode was to bland, like generic Valkyrie, and I don't even remember seeing it in gerwalk), the mecha aren't that interesting. The music's allright, but it's nothing special. I mainly like the BGM music. The entire story is basically one big rehash of 'DYRL?', but with some new story elements mixed in that really don't make a whole lot of sense.

I thought it was really cool when it first came out, and I was still unclear on the differences between SDF Macross and Robotech, and hadn't seen 'DYRL?' yet, but with Macross Plus, Macross 7, and now Macross Zero, I'm very glad Kawamori came back to the franchise and took the series in a different direction. Macross II's place in the Macross franchise is just too Gundam for me, rehash of the same old story, slightly different.

Dont care for it too much except for the "good guy" mecha, the zentradi mecha sucks. Im watching the English version and except for the main charictors voices, it sucks. I love the VF-2ss. Ishtar is pretty good to look at with those child bearing hips. Is it me, or did they have a completly diferent designer for the enemy mech', they look like large heads flying around going through a mid aged balding crisis.

IMHO

The Macross II english-dubbing is still one of the most horrible english-dubbing ever done in all of anime. You will most likely will hate it when they made Ishtar sing the "Mou ichido - love you" song in English. Talk about tragedy and travesty.

Better re-watch it in japanese-dub subtitled-form. The japanese-voices clearly are infinitely better and gave the series some needed decency.

--treatment--

IMHO

The Macross II english-dubbing is still one of the most horrible english-dubbing ever done in all of anime. You will most likely will hate it when they made Ishtar sing the "Mou ichido - love you" song in English. Talk about tragedy and travesty.

Better re-watch it in japanese-dub subtitled-form. The japanese-voices clearly are infinitely better and gave the series some needed decency.

--treatment--

All of the songs were in japaniese with english sub, I dont know why this was, but none of the songs are in english. Also, when the Zentradi spoke, it was in japaniese with sub's. This must be a diferent version?

The last time I tried to watch Macross II, I couldn't make it past the 45 minute mark. <_<

I have a bad cold right now and i think i kept knodding off, so that probably helped, not to mention the ol' lady coming out of the bedroom every 15 minutes (watching lifetime which is not allowed on the big tv) at every comercial break probably helped out too

IMHO

--treatment--

All of the songs were in japaniese with english sub, I dont know why this was, but none of the songs are in english. Also, when the Zentradi spoke, it was in japaniese with sub's. This must be a diferent version?

If I recall correcty, most of the MacII-songs in the Region-1 dvd and the old Mangle-vhs were in japanese, except specifically for the "Mou Ichido" song. It's the important climax-song Ishtar sang ala Minmay's Ai Oboete (dyrl).

I'm not sure what version you have, but if that's the case, then consider yourself extremely lucky to have escaped the travesty of the Mangle-ing of the great song "Mou Ichido".

Yeah sequel movie to DYRL makes the most sense especially since thats the "continuity" it's supposed to follow. I've never understood the Alternate Universe bit... maybe someone who worked on it has risen in the ranks at Big West & won't let Nue make it "fictional" in the story?

Strengths are definately in the mecha. I like the Metal Siren, VF-2SS, and Feff's power armor.

Some of the action is pretty good too, like Episode 3 (?) when the Marduk directly attack Earth. The fleet battle part, from the positioning of the Macross Cannons to Nexx launching in the Metal Siren and wrecking some havoc...

Macross II is vastly inferior to Macross 7, stop being an ass!

As for the music, if someone hasn't made it through the last half hour yet, then they obviously haven't heard that travesty of a dub song. If you're watching the DVD, then switch the the Japanese track ASAP, & save yourself the pain of listening to anymore of that craptacular dub.

We all know how I feel about Macross II, so I won't go too far into rehashing. Suffice it to say its problems lay much deeper than that ugly mess they call the Metal Siren.

Well, I enjoyed Macross-II better than I enjoyed the whole Macross 7 series (tv/movie/ova).

Sure, MII fraked up the so-called "continuity", but that was never a problem with me. We're all exposed to Robotech's version of Macross prior to MII, anyway, so why griped about it. DYRL was not a viable option back then like it is now these days.

The VF-2 mechas and action-sequence in MII was pretty kewl. Most of the character-designs of Mikimoto in MII were mediocre, except for Ishtar. Ishtar was just a really kewl anime-babe.

The only bad thing I can say about it is that I completely hate the english-dubbing of Macross-II.

Well. Since Kawamori-san had NOTHING to do with Macross II (right?) it's immediately thrust into a parallel universe. :blink:

I did like a couple of songs but the enemy mecha were FORGETABLE.......

Decent character designs by Haruhiko Mikimoto......

The animation started to fall apart (you can really tell during the last two installments) near the end.......

Well, I think VF-2SS was the best veritech, it look so good with the backpack guns.. when it transforms, looks cool......

hated the dubbing though.....

the minmay attack was kinda cool with cinemas for the zentraedi's to watch..hehehe

Take the image out of your sig.

Macross II is vastly inferior to Macross 7, stop being an ass!

You need to tie some sand bags to your loafers and agree with me that the music, the character design, the mecha design*, and the enemy were all superior in M2. The only thing superior about M7 was the fact that some of the orig. cast was in it.

*I don't include the VF-21 or the VF-19 in M7 as they were really from Mac+... M7 DID ad some fukin stupid faces and boobs on existing mecha which someone should be shot for.

One's a series and one's an OVA, so comparing them is apples & oranges. Now it IS fair to compare with something like Dynamite 7. I do like MII more than MD7, but the story is richer in the M7 series while animation per episode simply can't compare.

It's not like the faces of the M7 mecha had expressions or anything. Nothing wrong with sculpting a face on a customized valkryie. It's fitting with the characters and with their purposes.

Now I have MII on tape (dubbed/movie ver) and I can say I've only watched it in **its entirety** maybe 4 times at most. It dragged in quite a number of parts.

The VF-2SS was okay it that it was homage of the VF-1, but a couple of things about the design bugged me. It looked too much like an updated VF-1J, and the placement of the legs in Gerwalk and Fighter Modes just scream "EJECTABLE." Ick. The only VF I've seen to pull that off beautifully was the VF-4.

The VF-2JA I liked only because of the fact that when in Gerwalk mode it switches to FSW. Other than than, it's just a new look for the VF-1J once again.

The Metal Siren was just.... fugly. 'Nuff Said.

Then again, I only got the tape for $9 from a Blockbuster bargain bin a few years ago.

From a mecha standpoint, I still see the -19 and -22 scraping those MII uglies. For one thing, the -19 and -22 could strike first thanks to their active stealth systems.

Okay, enough talk. *munches of pizza*

Metal Siren might have been ugly IYO (I don't think it's a beauty but don't think it's hideous either), but I'd give it good odds against a VF-19 or 21 with all the technology/continuity differences aside. Look at what that thing did to a Marduk CRUISER. Except for a fold booster, it was was pretty advanced and not bound to the old paradigm. Designed in the "official" universe, it would have active stealth, external fold boosters, and all that fancy stuff. ;)

I really wish someone/anyone would make some MII toys!

It's not like the faces of the M7 mecha had expressions or anything. Nothing wrong with sculpting a face on a customized valkryie. It's fitting with the characters and with their purposes.

<_< ... I suppose you drive THIS then:

Gallery_New_5-LgBoarder.jpg

It's not like the faces of the M7 mecha had expressions or anything.  Nothing wrong with sculpting a face on a customized valkryie.  It's fitting with the characters and with their purposes.

<_< ... I suppose you drive THIS then:

Does't fit my character or purpose, flower girl. :p

I really don't see any need to turn this into another Macross 7 debate, the topic was Macross II. I think it's pretty obvious that those of us that love Macross 7 would prefere it to the Macross II, and the fact that those that despise Macross 7 say that Macross II's biggest merit is that "it's better than Macross 7" says a lot about this OVA. I'm certain that there's fans of Macross II that would disagree with both of those opposing camps.

Macross II & Orguss 02 are both equally low in my opinion. Both completely ignored what came before, wrote up their own histories which don't fit, and end terribly. For those unfamiliar with the Orguss TV series, let me tell you this simply. O02 implies that at the end of the TV series, a second dimensional bomb was set off to correct the dimensional crossovers, and because of that, there was still a world with leftover crossover elements. This does not happen in Orguss. What happeend was the two characters which were pushed into the future when the dimensional bomb went off (at their cause), traveled back in time to prevent the initial explosion from ever happeneing to begin with (in an excellent climactic end), that very fact in itself negates Orguss 02 from ever being able to exist.

As for Macross 7 & Macross II, stop being an ass. Macross 7 is superiro to II in every way. Story, animation, mecha, characters, every freakin' way. And like I said, Macross II's animation was far from "all that," especially when you get to the last 2 episodes where the budget was almost enitrely plled out. While Macross 7 may have repeating animation, character & mecha are always consistently high quality.

I'm certain that there's fans of Macross II that would disagree with both of those opposing camps.

I think that's me. I like M7, like MII, and like MD7. think u just have to keep the apples in the apple basket and all that. :)B))

Macross II, good pick! It's what really got me into Macross in the first place...aside from Robotech. Wouldn't want it any other way either. $$$ ...And don't listen to Keith and his opinion on Macross II...he's biased. :p The story is great, love the mecha, characters, and especially the music! The music is what I love the most about II...anyway. My 2 cents!