The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

Ever heard of Mosler Auto? When I was into Corvettes I used to dream of this thing (or something like it):

Yes, I remember the MT900 fondly. A very capable car--certainly better looking than its predecessor, the Raptor--with good competition provenance; much more successful in Europe/abroad than in the US, I believe. Back in the early '00s, a real rivalry was beginning to take shape in Grand-Am between Mosler and Ferrari, with the MT900 and 360GT, respectively, as the Mosler was proving very capable of competing for class wins. Then, perhaps due to some political wrangling, or who knows what, all of a sudden the rules changed, and the Mosler was put into a different class. The Mosler teams suddenly found themselves having to run a different spec tire (much harder compounds, more suited for different type of car), lumped in with the tube-frame Trans-Am style silhouette racers; and they weren't too happy about it, IIRC.

ed: went back and did some research, and I guess the simplest explanation is usually the best. I guess Mosler simply hadn't produced enough cars to meet homologation rules, hence the bump to another class.

Edited by reddsun1

Anyone want to call BS on this?

No, not really. I've yet to hear a single convincing argument why the Porsche Cayenne isn't an excelent vehicle other than they typical bawing about how it's not a true Porsche and taints the brand because it's an SUV and not a rear engined sports car.

I was given a Cayenne as a courtesy car while mine was in the shop and I didn't find it overly spectacular. I did some hill driving and I felt the automatic transmission was in a state of constant shifting. It had a bit of pep to it (obviously I wasn't in one of the baller versions) and an excellent turning radius but overall it didn't strike me as amazingly better than some of the other SUVs I've been in. Then again, my opinion is probably pretty tainted by my general dislike of SUVs.

No, not really. I've yet to hear a single convincing argument why the Porsche Cayenne isn't an excellent vehicle other than they typical bawling about how it's not a true Porsche and taints the brand because it's an SUV and not a rear engined sports car.

I could care less about what the Porsche purists say. The Cayenne is just unattractive, even for an SUV. It looks like a giant refrigerator reshaped to somewhat resemble a Porsche. Yes, it's no worse than the Panamera, but it's still a bad design.

If only Porsche used the time and money to develop a new 928...

Quick question.

Given that they are only making 500 of the LFA's, are they all going to be LHD/RHD or both? Must be quite a bitch to make both versions for a 500 car run.

BTW, 2011 model year GT-R has been announced. 530hp. Larger inlet,tweaked engine map, new honeycomb strut,slight mod to exhausts and new wheels.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Any Jeep Wrangler owners out there?

I don't own one but my friend and i work on his YJ a lot, it's such a piece of crap but we love it, it has some strange charming quality to it. Plus you get the bonus of being a part of a community with the Wrangler.

An Enzo Ferrari knockoff? Maybe, but the Simbol Design Lavazza GTX-R weighs in at 2,380 lbs. Under the hood is a V12 that generates 612 bhp. This results in an impressive ratio of 3.8 lbs. per bhp. Not impressive, though, is its 0-60 acceleration, which is 4.6 seconds.

2011-Simbol-Design-Lavazza-GTX-R-Front-Angle-Open-Doors-2-1600x1200.jpg

2011-Simbol-Design-Lavazza-GTX-R-Rear-Angle-Open-Doors-1600x1200.jpg

2011-Simbol-Design-Lavazza-GTX-R-Engine-1600x1200.jpg

2011-Simbol-Design-Lavazza-GTX-R-Interior-1600x1200.jpg

(Quote protected because Wanzerfan is a dumbass.)

2011 Simbol Design Lavazza GTX-R

An Enzo Ferrari knockoff? Maybe, but the Simbol Design Lavazza GTX-R weighs in at 2,380 lbs. Under the hood is a V12 that generates 612 bhp. This results in an impressive ratio of 3.8 lbs. per bhp. Not impressive, though, is its 0-60 acceleration, which is 4.6 seconds.

(Quote protected because Wanzerfan is a dumbass.)

Hmm, interesting UCA design in the rear. But if the quality of those welds isn't up to snuff, well...

LOL!

post-1488-128775417594_thumb.jpg

I don't own one but my friend and i work on his YJ a lot, it's such a piece of crap but we love it, it has some strange charming quality to it. Plus you get the bonus of being a part of a community with the Wrangler.

My first was a YJ and that's the reason I know how to work on cars; I replaced and repaired all kinds of things on it. Well, that and maybe the fact that I was 16 with a jeep and drove it like I stole it had a little to do with it as well.

My first baby

post-10398-128787617541_thumb.jpg

It weighs 3 tons and corners like an ocean liner, but just look at its acceleration and braking numbers.

Indeed. The numbers are downright shocking, for such a large car. It looks positively--uncomposed for lack of a better word--performing such maneuvers. LOL, that's a helluva lot of dough to fork over for what looks like a theme-park ride! :p

Trans-Am fans have much to rejoice, sort of. Lingenfelter has unveiled their TA Concept based on the new Camaro. Its new front end, fenders, rear end and wheels evoke shades of the second-generation Pontiac Firebird. No word on the power specs of the Lingenfelter-tuned V8 under the hood.

2010-Lingenfelter-TA-Concept-based-on-Chevrolet-Camaro-Black-Front-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Lingenfelter-TA-Concept-based-on-Chevrolet-Camaro-Black-Rear-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Lingenfelter-TA-Concept-based-on-Chevrolet-Camaro-Blue-Engine-1920x1440.jpg

And just for Phyrox, here it is in white.

2010-Lingenfelter-TA-Concept-based-on-Chevrolet-Camaro-White-Front-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Lingenfelter-TA-Concept-based-on-Chevrolet-Camaro-White-Rear-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Lingenfelter-TA-Concept-based-on-Chevrolet-Camaro-White-Hood-Stripe-1920x1440.jpg

2010 Lingenfelter TA Concept Based on Chevrolet Camaro

Trans-Am fans have much to rejoice, sort of. Lingenfelter has unveiled their TA Concept based on the new Camaro. Its new front end, fenders, rear end and wheels evoke shades of the second-generation Pontiac Firebird. No word on the power specs of the Lingenfelter-tuned V8 under the hood.

And just for Phyrox, here it is in white.

Methinks the "LPE 455" badge will be a play on claimed HP figures(?), as I think that kind of displacement from a small block is highly unlikely, no matter how much you increase cyl bore and stroke. (but hey, GM got 427c.i. out of the basic block for the Vette, so who knows?).

As to aesthetics, it will indeed be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of car. They're definitely catering to a niche market. Just remember, the Porsche 911 has remained basically unchanged (in layout) for over 40 years.

ed: is it supercharged? don't see any drive belts, but--forgive my ignorance--kinda hard to tell, with all that plastic crap all over the engine bay. I hate that sh*t...

ed-ed: meh, never mind--2nd look at the pic shows it's obviously not a huffer. *doh* :wacko:

Edited by reddsun1