What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

Started watching the remastered version of Vision of Escaflowne. I haven't watched this series in years and these new fan subs by Grey Phantom look great. Boxtorrents has them if you want a quick(lots of seeds) 8gb download..took less than 24hrs on DSL.

Ah, good ol' Boxtorrents. I'm using my Freeleech time there now to plump out my Space Battleship Yamato collection, as well as updating my U.C. Gundam collection from HK sub XviD to fansubbed h.264.

Started watching Ga Rei Zero. I was abit spoiled about what happens in the 1st episode but it still wasn't enough to prepare me from the shock factor.

To chronicle my thoughts without spoiling too much:

Ep 1 start....

ok cool...emo male lead...groan...not again.

Biker chick....i dig.

Ghosts...monsters...military is there but they get annihilated.

Come our protagonists! They pwn ghost butt. *Very cool action sequence*

2nd ghost appears but it seems to be too big....requires some impromptu tactics.

*awesome action sequence*

.......then sh*t happens....like serious sh*t.

HOLY CRAP...did that just happen....

Okayyy.....now i'm curious what happens for the next 11 episodes of this anime.

Really strange episode 1.....but damn I'm psyched to watch the rest now!

==========

Episode 2 end:

Double You Tee Eff.....they have to stop doing this every episode ....i just hope this won't be the theme of the whole damn show.

Edited by wolfx

Speaking of RT, I watched The Shadow Chronicles lately: it was not bad at all but I found the directing a bit lacking, especially in the CG which were rather bulky in their modeling and awkward in their animation. Otherwise, this sequel deserves to be watched if you like RT, the haters will prefer to spend their time onto something else...

Finished Ga Rei Zero. Awesome sleeper hit anime. Glad I marathoned it though since I couldn't stop watching it since i started.

Alot of deaths in this anime.

The drama is heart wrenching.

Awesome action.

Some plot points were unresolved though which leads me to think there might be a sequel or something. Highly recommended.

EDIT: Actually its a prequel to the events of the manga...gah...another one of those prequel tie-in merchandising things. :( But seriously the anime stood alone well.

Edited by wolfx

I've (FINALLY!) got around to first MS Igloo episodes. I watched "The Hidden One-Year War" last week, and I started "Apocalypse 0079" yesterday.

The stories are kind of predictable (disgraced or otherwise ignored character vindicates himself, then dies), and sometimes the characters move more like Supermarionation puppets rather than real people, but overall I think it's pretty darn good.

And as someone who disliked "The 08th MS Team" for being too upbeat and cheery, I'm glad to see that Igloo captures a lot of the coldness and desperation of the original Gundam.

Igloo is easily one of the best One Year War spinoffs, if not the best.

Lots of fan service for military nuts (some of the parallels to Nazi Germany in later episodes are great) and amazingly... it's a Gundam series without a frickin' Gundam or a ton of new unnecessary mobile suits. It's the gritty, more realistic Gundam I had always hoped they'd make.

08th MS Team would have been a lot better if it focused solely on GM's and wasn't so anime-ish. 0080 was good but it's really overrated by people who want to try and appear intellectual.

Igloo is easily one of the best One Year War spinoffs, if not the best.

Lots of fan service for military nuts (some of the parallels to Nazi Germany in later episodes are great) and amazingly... it's a Gundam series without a frickin' Gundam or a ton of new unnecessary mobile suits. It's the gritty, more realistic Gundam I had always hoped they'd make.

08th MS Team would have been a lot better if it focused solely on GM's and wasn't so anime-ish. 0080 was good but it's really overrated by people who want to try and appear intellectual.

Yeah, I would've been happier with 08th MS Team if they hadn't felt the need to give ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE a Gundam. That, and the tone really seemed like "One-Year War Lite."

On the other hand, I really loved 0080, especially since I went into it thinking that "No Tomino = Not Gundam" and was pleasantly surprised at what a good story it had.

But yeah...I'm not a mecha-head, so I think a lot of the loving detail so clearly put into MS Igloo goes over my head, but the mecha scenes certainly look stunning. Makes me wonder why "The Hidden One-Year War" got such short shrift upon its release (and, as far as I know, you can still only *rent* it in Japan, not buy it). I kind of wonder if the whole story isn't a commentary on the OVA's production: the staff works hard to create this exceptional CGI Gundam story, only to have the Bandai higher-ups basically ignore it in favor of SEED and its offshoots.

Yeah, I would've been happier with 08th MS Team if they hadn't felt the need to give ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE a Gundam. That, and the tone really seemed like "One-Year War Lite."

Exactly. It had seemed like people had always been lauding it as some gritty take on the One Year War, and it absolutely wasn't.

But yeah...I'm not a mecha-head, so I think a lot of the loving detail so clearly put into MS Igloo goes over my head, but the mecha scenes certainly look stunning. Makes me wonder why "The Hidden One-Year War" got such short shrift upon its release (and, as far as I know, you can still only *rent* it in Japan, not buy it). I kind of wonder if the whole story isn't a commentary on the OVA's production: the staff works hard to create this exceptional CGI Gundam story, only to have the Bandai higher-ups basically ignore it in favor of SEED and its offshoots.

I'll admit that I was hesitant to check it out at first simply because of the CG, excellent battles or not the idea of an all-CG Gundam really turned me off. I was pleasantly surprised to find out not only was the CG not that bad, but the rest of the series more than made up for it. I think it's clear that the staff on Igloo are some old school, military-lovin' fans because the kind of details they put into Igloo are great. The later episodes that deal with the desperation of Zeon's situation are a much more subtle reference to WW2 Germany than either the original MSG's "Hey, Giren, you're Hitler" or 0080's German style costumes.

One of my pet peeves with OYW spin-offs is just how over the years they've absolutely cluttered up the period. It's kind of absurd when you think of how many Mobile Suit variations were supposed to have been produced during this short period when you add up all the additions from the various spin-offs and OAVs. I was thankful that Igloo managed to avoid that (mostly), but it was likely also the reason why it got the shaft by the Bandai higher ups as it meant less product they could push.

Finished Ga Rei Zero. Awesome sleeper hit anime. Glad I marathoned it though since I couldn't stop watching it since i started.

Alot of deaths in this anime.

The drama is heart wrenching.

Awesome action.

Some plot points were unresolved though which leads me to think there might be a sequel or something. Highly recommended.

EDIT: Actually its a prequel to the events of the manga...gah...another one of those prequel tie-in merchandising things. :( But seriously the anime stood alone well.

i agree with you.....awesome series

one thing that really annoyed me was kagura's whining........gome gome gome wari wari wari :angry:

i agree with you.....awesome series

one thing that really annoyed me was kagura's whining........gome gome gome wari wari wari :angry:

I watched ga rei on wolfx's review as well. Great fun even though kagura was pretty damn annoying.

Didn't find her that bad. I mean the stuff she does with Michael the 12th is :ph34r: .

But Yomi is pure :(

I'm reading the manga now and Kagura has become the easy going big sister exorcist, very different from her past persona.

Btw: the anime is supposed to be some sorta advertising for the ongoing manga series. I'm reading it on onemanga now.

Didn't find her that bad. I mean the stuff she does with Michael the 12th is :ph34r: .

But Yomi is pure :(

I'm reading the manga now and Kagura has become the easy going big sister exorcist, very different from her past persona.

Btw: the anime is supposed to be some sorta advertising for the ongoing manga series. I'm reading it on onemanga now.

the freaking out about killing zombies and then her standing there while yomi cut down her dad was a bit much. I mean, I get that she wasn't close to her dad but to just stand there...

but yeah, the show is worth watching. Good production values and a pretty fun story that's a nice take on a pretty tired genre

Just watched Sora Kakeru Shoujo episode.1, good laugh with plenty of anime parody, I can catch several parodies from Gundam, Gundam 00, Eureka 7 and Galaxy Angel :lol: . Not to mention the rogue colony A.I. is somehow modeled after Zero/Lelouch lol.

The first episode alone have several parody:

- Colony laser...check

- Colony drop....check

- Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch VA) voicing Leopard A.I. ...check

- Leopard saying "I have control".....check

- Leopard saying "I can FLYYYYYY"....check

- colony solar panel glowing with angel feathers....check

- Skimpy Godannar like pilot suit....check

- A maid inside a maid....check

Definetely a must see anime lol.

Edited by Morpheus

I am currently watching:

Kemeko DX (Lots of Mecha goodness.. Hilarious and sexy without being hentai)

I'm watching that too....kinda random and crazy...and not quite mecha goodness.

Kemeko is annoying.....i just wish there was more of M.M in the show.

Just finished Planetes. What a wonderful anime that was. A slowly build up story, realistic sci-fi and great characters. Tanabe's one of the cutest things to walk around in anime and Hachi being the first male lead I have been able to like since Basara ( I'm sure that says something about me too <_< ).

The story revolves around the daily lives of a bunch of low end corporate astronouts who make their living by hauling space debris. The writers are socially engaged and don't refrain on commenting on social problems like the salary-man culture, corporatism and the mismatch between the industrialised world and the developing countries.

The series has been around for a few years and I saw some old threads about it. Still it deserves the attention and if a slow built up and heavy character development don't scare you, I'd recommend it fully.

well since I have just finished Gurren lagann and evangelion I am going to start something new.

One of my good friends is hoping that I will watch gunbuster and I will eventually. Maybe next.

I have to admit though that I still have not seen macross II or Macross7. And the sick thing is that I own them both! Dont kill me please!!! The main thing for me is time. I made time to watch Frontier and the rest but I have not heard great things about macII and mac7 and so that is why I have waited so long.

well since I have just finished Gurren lagann and evangelion I am going to start something new.

One of my good friends is hoping that I will watch gunbuster and I will eventually. Maybe next.

I have to admit though that I still have not seen macross II or Macross7. And the sick thing is that I own them both! Dont kill me please!!! The main thing for me is time. I made time to watch Frontier and the rest but I have not heard great things about macII and mac7 and so that is why I have waited so long.

watch either mac II or mac 7 BEFORE you watch gunbuster... Gunbuster is so awesome it will make the already weak mac II/7 seem that much weaker in comparison.

I'm only kinda kidding.

actually, i'm pretty serious.

:lol:

watch either mac II or mac 7 BEFORE you watch gunbuster... Gunbuster is so awesome it will make the already weak mac II/7 seem that much weaker in comparison.

I'm only kinda kidding.

actually, i'm pretty serious.

That seems like some pretty sound advice actually. Thanks.

Just watched Sora Kakeru Shoujo episode.1, good laugh with plenty of anime parody, I can catch several parodies from Gundam, Gundam 00, Eureka 7 and Galaxy Angel :lol: . Not to mention the rogue colony A.I. is somehow modeled after Zero/Lelouch lol.

The first episode alone have several parody:

- Colony laser...check

- Colony drop....check

- Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch VA) voicing Leopard A.I. ...check

- Leopard saying "I have control".....check

- Leopard saying "I can FLYYYYYY"....check

- colony solar panel glowing with angel feathers....check

- Skimpy Godannar like pilot suit....check

- A maid inside a maid....check

Definetely a must see anime lol.

Just watched it. Good if not just for the parodies. Not too sure about the mecha though.

sorakakevg4.jpg

Finished Generator Gawl the day before yesterday: a rather interesting anime but its slow pace almost turnt me off sometimes; still, the basic idea is interesting and the overall plot is rather well written. It recalled me of Guyver many times. I'd say it looks recommendable to me...

Well, having finished Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann, I decided to finally have a go and waid deep into the world of Gundam.

I really wanted to watch a Tomino piece; and was considering Ideon, but since I have so many Gundam models built and needed some inspiration to build more.... I've started watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam. At the same time, I am also watching Gundam OO....

What strikes me about Mobile Suit Gundam so far is just how relentlessly it is a WAR STORY. There's really no romance, no love, no fantasy, not even much politics (at least not yet - we don't really know WHY Side 7 declared Independence, and beyond different wacky uniforms and green vs. red/blue/white ships, nothing really distinguishes Zeons from the Federation. In fact, I don't really understand why the Zeons even have a territory on...Earth... are they leading a Federation wide grab for power stretching beyond their one solar colony?

Beats me. Nothing much makes sense in terms of the politics - and the focus so far is on the escape/journey of the White Horse.

In this respect, I certainly prefer Gundam OO, where at least the war has a CAUSE (energy) and the politics of it are played out more openly - which in no way interferes with the personal stories of the characters.

On the other hand - what IS good about Mobile Suit Gundam is that it LACKS any sort of idealism. In Gundam OO, high idealism starts from the name of the Gundam team ("Celestial Being" aka God/aka some great good/aka highest ideal) and goes all the way down to their purpose (end all war) and any tensions in the plot stem from the clash of this idealism with bitter reality (the paradox of trying to end war through war etc).

Meanwhile, Mobile Suit Gundam can be summed up by the narrative at the end of each episode: "WHO WILL SURVIVE?!"

And that's it. It's just people doing everything possible to blow one another up - so consumed by this immense conflict that it seems that they can't see anything beyond either the need to destroy their enemies or the need to survive.

So far, Char is the most compelling character - and, along with Amaro, I too would like to know "just what kind of man is he?"

As for Gundam OO... well... none of the characters are very memorable so far.

So - it's a mixed bag. We'll see what I think at the end. But I guess the basic story of Gundam - as far as I can tell is: Warfare, only in robots rather than tanks and jets.

I think I'll watch ideon once I'm done with these, but I am curious as to how they'll go since I've read so much about Tomino's work (well, relatively) and have only now begun to taste it.

Pete

What strikes me about Mobile Suit Gundam so far is just how relentlessly it is a WAR STORY. There's really no romance, no love, no fantasy, not even much politics (at least not yet - we don't really know WHY Side 7 declared Independence, and beyond different wacky uniforms and green vs. red/blue/white ships, nothing really distinguishes Zeons from the Federation. In fact, I don't really understand why the Zeons even have a territory on...Earth... are they leading a Federation wide grab for power stretching beyond their one solar colony?

Pete

A quick and easy way to understand the background of the original series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Year_War

All of this is not fully explained in the anime. These details were filled in later in books, games, and whatnot. The anime mainly focuses on the growth of the lead character Amuro Ray.

Not sure if you're watching the movies or the TV series but - the original Gundam TV series is not considered Tomino's best directorial work. If you want to watch Tomino Gundam, it's probably best to watch the 0079 movies then quickly move on to Zeta Gundam. The best non-Gundam Tomino work I've seen is Aura Battler Dunbine. I haven't had the chance to watch Ideon or L-Gaim fully to appreciate it as much as Dunbine.

Well, having finished Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann, I decided to finally have a go and waid deep into the world of Gundam.

I really wanted to watch a Tomino piece; and was considering Ideon, but since I have so many Gundam models built and needed some inspiration to build more.... I've started watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam. At the same time, I am also watching Gundam OO....

Beats me. Nothing much makes sense in terms of the politics - and the focus so far is on the escape/journey of the White Horse.

In this respect, I certainly prefer Gundam OO, where at least the war has a CAUSE (energy) and the politics of it are played out more openly - which in no way interferes with the personal stories of the characters.

On the other hand - what IS good about Mobile Suit Gundam is that it LACKS any sort of idealism. In Gundam OO, high idealism starts from the name of the Gundam team ("Celestial Being" aka God/aka some great good/aka highest ideal) and goes all the way down to their purpose (end all war) and any tensions in the plot stem from the clash of this idealism with bitter reality (the paradox of trying to end war through war etc).

Meanwhile, Mobile Suit Gundam can be summed up by the narrative at the end of each episode: "WHO WILL SURVIVE?!"

And that's it. It's just people doing everything possible to blow one another up - so consumed by this immense conflict that it seems that they can't see anything beyond either the need to destroy their enemies or the need to survive.

So far, Char is the most compelling character - and, along with Amaro, I too would like to know "just what kind of man is he?"

As for Gundam OO... well... none of the characters are very memorable so far.

So - it's a mixed bag. We'll see what I think at the end. But I guess the basic story of Gundam - as far as I can tell is: Warfare, only in robots rather than tanks and jets.

I think I'll watch ideon once I'm done with these, but I am curious as to how they'll go since I've read so much about Tomino's work (well, relatively) and have only now begun to taste it.

Pete

Hoo-boy...you're walking down the road that has no end.

Gundam (the original, that is...I haven't seen any of the Alternate Universe ones like 00) does have a sense of idealism that comes into play late in the series, but even then...its a pretty slim hope.

As for Zeon attacking earth...that never made much sense to me, either...apart from being able to have mobile suits strut their stuff in an environment where its easy to see just how massive they are.

Tomino's novelization of the series (which, admittedly, is much more interesting in conception than execution) eliminates that completely and has the whole story set in space. It also fills in a lot of the backstory (a lot of which gets repeated or transformed in Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's excellent comic adaptation, "Gundam the Origin").

But still, Gundam is a cold series without a lot of real human feeling beyond the vacillation between determination and despair. But I kind of like that about it...of course, giant robots have always been and will always be an adolescent power fantasy...but that fantasy gets dashed early on in Gundam (who cares that you have all this power if you can't save your friends and neighbors with it?) and actively gets turned around as the series progresses (note especially the fear with which otherwise likable, earnest Zeon troops face the Gundam). It's escapism that isn't escapist.

A quick and easy way to understand the background of the original series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Year_War

All of this is not fully explained in the anime. These details were filled in later in books, games, and whatnot. The anime mainly focuses on the growth of the lead character Amuro Ray.

Not sure if you're watching the movies or the TV series but - the original Gundam TV series is not considered Tomino's best directorial work. If you want to watch Tomino Gundam, it's probably best to watch the 0079 movies then quickly move on to Zeta Gundam. The best non-Gundam Tomino work I've seen is Aura Battler Dunbine. I haven't had the chance to watch Ideon or L-Gaim fully to appreciate it as much as Dunbine.

With all due repsect, I disagree completely. A lot of the TV series seems padded out, and some of it is just silly (The G-Fighter? Please. And the Guntank just looks stupid flying in space). But while I think the movies are great as a synopsis of the original series, I think they're terrible AS MOVIES. The episodic nature of the show is still apparent in movies, and so, the first couple of times I watched them, I kept expecting them to end several times before they actually did...and when the first two actually (finally!) DO end, it seems to be almost random.

Just as DYRL works better if you've seen Macross, I think the Gundam movies are more interesting if you've already seen the TV series, and can appreciate the fix-ups in the animation and design.

I do agree with you, though, that Zeta Gundam is a real gem of a series. It was the first one I watched, and it's still among my all-time favorites.

Well thank you Vifam and Gubaba for the advise. I'm too far down the road of the MSG series to turn back now, so once I finish it, I will hopefully move on quickly to ZETA.

And am I to understand that 0079 was only a movie? There is no seperate series by that name?

In any event - I was hoping for something very representative of Tomino at his best - classic Tomino at his best.

Pesonally, I've always been drawn to Turn-A Gundam - mainly because I LOVE the design of the Gundam, but I figured it would be bad to start there since from what I have read, the series really stands out as completely different from other Gundam series...

so... yeah...

As for the aesthetic of the fighters in the original show - I actually like it.

If you think about it - Ideon's component parts look pretty "ridiculous" too - but the thing still has the power to destroy the universe...

I guess I just have this thing where I love 70s mecha, 80s comic books, 90s porn...oh wait... :)

Pete

Well thank you Vifam and Gubaba for the advise. I'm too far down the road of the MSG series to turn back now, so once I finish it, I will hopefully move on quickly to ZETA.

And am I to understand that 0079 was only a movie? There is no seperate series by that name?

In any event - I was hoping for something very representative of Tomino at his best - classic Tomino at his best.

Pesonally, I've always been drawn to Turn-A Gundam - mainly because I LOVE the design of the Gundam, but I figured it would be bad to start there since from what I have read, the series really stands out as completely different from other Gundam series...

so... yeah...

As for the aesthetic of the fighters in the original show - I actually like it.

If you think about it - Ideon's component parts look pretty "ridiculous" too - but the thing still has the power to destroy the universe...

I guess I just have this thing where I love 70s mecha, 80s comic books, 90s porn...oh wait... :)

Pete

I'm not sure what you mean about 0079 being only a movie...Gndam 0079 is simply another name for the originl Mobile Suit Gundam. (And you should watch the original Gundam movies before moving on to Zeta...there's a bit that they throw in at the very end that opens the door to Zeta in a way the TV show ending doesn't).

Anyway, if you're just trying to get through the main storyline of Gundam, I'd do it like this:

1. Mobile Suit Gundam (TV)

2. Mobile Suit Gundam (Movies)

3. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (TV)

4. Mobile Gundam Double Zeta (TV)

5. Char's Counterattack

Not all of it is of excellent quality, and there's a lot of good (and not-so-good) stuff left out, but you'll be conversant with the primary story/characters/world of Gundam.

Anyway, if you're not sick of it by then, you can either move backwards to the non-Tomino side stories (mostly set during the original series), forward to F91 and V Gundam, or far forward to Turn A.

However, I do feel like I have to give you a last, very important bit of advice: friends don't let friends watch G-Saviour. And I think of you as a friend.