What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

Yeah, you are right. Come down to it, Orguss 02 is more like "What if" scenario than a true sequel.

Man, I will have to spend time watching the original Orguss again, I already forgot quite a bit of that show *even the infamous ending*. :ph34r:

Anyway, Keith, can you elaborate on how Macross F opened a possibility for Macross II scenario? I personally don't see how.

The main problems with Macross II, aside from borrowing way to much from DYRL's story structure, were the drastic ship style changes in the Macross, sparseness of the "earth," and overall lack of contact with any colony fleets. Macross Frontier gave us mass produced Macross types, of which the ship in Macross II could now be one, privatized colony fleets with independent Valkyrie developement (which now could explain the style choices of the Valkyrie II & Metal Siren), the planet it takes place on now could be a distant one cut off by fold faults, inhabited by a colony fleet that has an odd penchant for recreating lost landmarks.

It really hit me when the Macross 11 fleet was shown, my first thought was that it said the "Macross II" fleet, and everything just fell into place. With a little story tweaking, Macross II now easily fits into the Macross universe, with the Marduk being nothing more than a misguided race that was also left altered by the Protoculture, just one who attained a similar level of technology to Earth.

Making Mac II take place on some other planet with just some Macross sister ship messes up the final act where they both sides look at the Macross as some sort of ship of legend. Why would they think that SDF "Not Macross" was so terribly important, just as a diversion for the macross canon that comes in at the end?

I'm not saying Mac II is a good story, but doing that weakens it even further, imo. It's fine for what it is.

Anyway, Spring 2009 Anime list:

http://www.picamatic.com/show/2009/03/01/0...3_1500x1930.jpg

Text version: http://www.moetron.com/2009/01/28/spring-2...-marchaprilmay/

Definitely watching: Cobra TV series (loved the Psychogun OVAs), BASQUASH, Shin Mazinger (both shows begin airing in April, hell yes!!!).

Looking forward to: Valkyria Chronicles anime, Sengoku BASARA and DBZ Remastered.

Nothing really for me there. My son might like the basketball one.

Robo Crosser I'll check out, just out of my variable bikes addiction.

Definitely watching: Cobra TV series (loved the Psychogun OVAs), BASQUASH, Shin Mazinger (both shows begin airing in April, hell yes!!!).

Looking forward to: Valkyria Chronicles anime, Sengoku BASARA and DBZ Remastered.

Full Metal Alchemist: From the trailer...the art looks really QUALITY...but i'll give it a shot.

K-on: Its kyoani...nuff said.

Senjou no Valkyria: Wow....this is getting an anime? I'm in. MMO adaptation.

Basquash: sneaker wearing robots with carheads playing basketball.

Queen's Blade: Need i explain?

Hayate no Gotoku 2: Sequel

Saki: Mahjong anime....maybe i'll give it a try.

Watched Detroit Metal City live action over the weekend. Pretty funny! Can't believe Negishi's actor was the same as L's. Haha.

Too bad they had to skimp alot on some scenes from the anime/manga.

Hmmmmmm....from the pic posted above....I think I'll be looking out for these shows then: :)

** Dogs ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs/Bullets_&_Carnage )

** Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ ( http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...-video-streamed )

** Queen's Blade ( http://www.queensblade.net/ )

As for current anime being watched Rideback and Gundam 00. :)

Decent lineup but....

Yeeeees! Wolf and Spice 2!

Added the following:

Shangri-La: Gonzo...but heck just realised its Range Murata designs! Perhaps some recycled art from that canned show (Gonzo x Murata) some seasons back?

Spice & Wolf II: Need me some Horo!!

Now to try and find a copy of Parasite Dolls to complete my BGC spinoff watching...

good luck. been trying to find one in english for some time now.

scanned through first ep of rideback. seems interesting. will check out viper's creed too.

falling behind on casshern. need to catch up.

kara no kyoukai continues to be a delight for me despite the sometimes convoluted story telling and long stretches between releases. hoping for some recommendations to fill the spaces. something along the lines of mnemosyne, vampire princess miyu, noir... not full blown fantasy but with a touch of the metaphysical.

Really REALLY recommend RideBack to everyone.

Even if eps. 1-3 aren't really your thing, things really get turned upside down come episodes 6&7, and it's really worth the ride (ok, pun intended, a little...).

@Keith: Dude, when you have free time, remember to watch the Aquarion's OVA...

I'd like to see your take on it since it focus more on lore (Angels, Aquarion, the previous life of Apollo as Apollonius and stuff) rather than the jokes like in the series. In short, it's a more serious Aquarion.

Eh, and I'm kinda sad that the OVA never come over to the States.

About me, I recently watched the old Street Fighter II movie, oldschool stuff that I missed out, the animation still looks very beautiful. Haven't started watching Yukikaze yet.

Making Mac II take place on some other planet with just some Macross sister ship messes up the final act where they both sides look at the Macross as some sort of ship of legend. Why would they think that SDF "Not Macross" was so terribly important, just as a diversion for the macross canon that comes in at the end?

I'm not saying Mac II is a good story, but doing that weakens it even further, imo. It's fine for what it is.

Not really, considering the ALUCE looked like a Zeppelin, and the Macross was a Supervision Army gunboat (TV canon), & Meltrandi gunboat (DYRL canon), there was never any chance that it was the AlUCE to begin with. Ishtar's just a little crazy.

good luck. been trying to find one in english for some time now.

scanned through first ep of rideback. seems interesting. will check out viper's creed too.

falling behind on casshern. need to catch up.

kara no kyoukai continues to be a delight for me despite the sometimes convoluted story telling and long stretches between releases. hoping for some recommendations to fill the spaces. something along the lines of mnemosyne, vampire princess miyu, noir... not full blown fantasy but with a touch of the metaphysical.

Look up AD Police, ADV re-released the 12 episode AD Poilce TV series & Parasite Dolls in a 2 pack last year, should still be pretty easy to find for insanely cheap.

@Keith: Dude, when you have free time, remember to watch the Aquarion's OVA...

I'd like to see your take on it since it focus more on lore (Angels, Aquarion, the previous life of Apollo as Apollonius and stuff) rather than the jokes like in the series. In short, it's a more serious Aquarion.

Eh, and I'm kinda sad that the OVA never come over to the States.

About me, I recently watched the old Street Fighter II movie, oldschool stuff that I missed out, the animation still looks very beautiful. Haven't started watching Yukikaze yet.

I'd love to watch it, and keep pestering Funi to license it. If only Japanese companies would waste a little time to put english subtitles on thier blurays...

Not really, considering the ALUCE looked like a Zeppelin, and the Macross was a Supervision Army gunboat (TV canon), & Meltrandi gunboat (DYRL canon), there was never any chance that it was the AlUCE to begin with. Ishtar's just a little crazy.

not talking about how we perceive it, i'm talking about the internal logic of the characters in the show. The big climactic scene between the three principle characters gets short changed by making it something other than the SDF-1 and that's not possible unless it's on earth unless you create another level of conceit that the SDF-1 is on some pan-colony tour.

Starting to watch and old anime "Lost Universe" on a streaming site. How come no one ever told me about this series before, it got a protagonist which are a hybrid between Lina Inverse and Gourry Gabriev, including a maid-ship brain-hologram which are voiced by Megumi Hayashibara, not to mention the ship is a something like a mixture of Sol Bianca with anything from Slayer Universe.

Also, I got a total WTF moment with the latest Sora Kake Girl episode, Sunrise have gone wacky this time.

Watching gundam 00 and revisiting seed destiny. Seed was awesome, surprised it got as bad a rap as it did.

Edited by Excillon

Watching gundam 00 and revisiting seed destiny. Seed was awesome, surprised it got as bad a rap as it did.

Seed was decent, Destiny went down the drain. First episodes of Destiny had alot of promise though, then all of a sudden, the original cast had to save the show.

Edited by shiroikaze

not talking about how we perceive it, i'm talking about the internal logic of the characters in the show. The big climactic scene between the three principle characters gets short changed by making it something other than the SDF-1 and that's not possible unless it's on earth unless you create another level of conceit that the SDF-1 is on some pan-colony tour.

The design of the ship itself betrays being the original Macross. Being another of the Macross class ships (like the Global) gives them the luxury of having the different canon design that employs the legs & ARMD carriers, explains the TV coloring with DYRL styling, and makes up for it being destroyed at the end. It doesn't have to be "the" Macross to be "their" Macross that headed whatever colony fleet that would have taken them to that planet.

Dunno if there is any Higurashi fans here, but I just check out the RAW of Higurashi Rei 1st OVA.

The first episode is a big wtf (

magic panty, nuff said

), but the next OVA will be based on the extra arc, Saikoroshi-hen so I'm very looking forward to it.

The design of the ship itself betrays being the original Macross. Being another of the Macross class ships (like the Global) gives them the luxury of having the different canon design that employs the legs & ARMD carriers, explains the TV coloring with DYRL styling, and makes up for it being destroyed at the end. It doesn't have to be "the" Macross to be "their" Macross that headed whatever colony fleet that would have taken them to that planet.

but it wouldn't explain why sylvie and hibiki believed ishtar that the the Macross was the Aluce or whatever. She would say, "Omg, this the Deux Ex Machina of legend!" and then Hibiki would say, "Nah, it's just the sdf-3: the giant coincidence"

but it wouldn't explain why sylvie and hibiki believed ishtar that the the Macross was the Aluce or whatever. She would say, "Omg, this the Deux Ex Machina of legend!" and then Hibiki would say, "Nah, it's just the sdf-3: the giant coincidence"

And none of it explains how Ishtar popped up with lyrics & muisc seemingly out of her ass. Point being, Macross II is already broken, including the whole ALUCE thing, just one of those minor necessary tweaks.

Dunno if there is any Higurashi fans here, but I just check out the RAW of Higurashi Rei 1st OVA.

The first episode is a big wtf (

magic panty, nuff said

), but the next OVA will be based on the extra arc, Saikoroshi-hen so I'm very looking forward to it.

I love higurashi. ^_^ Subs are out for Rei btw.

And none of it explains how Ishtar popped up with lyrics & muisc seemingly out of her ass. Point being, Macross II is already broken, including the whole ALUCE thing, just one of those minor necessary tweaks.

Sorry, ishtar making up music makes much more sense than her mistaking an off the factory floor tourist attraction on a world that's been turned into the "Earth Amusement Park" as some mythical ship.

By trying to bring Mac II into the mainstream continuity you've so thoroughly gutted it of any value. It is what is... having it take place in an alternate reality doesn't detract from the story at all while trying to fold it into regular continuity massively changes the story to the point where the characters no longer have the same motivations and come off as just being some deranged lunatics.

Sorry, ishtar making up music makes much more sense than her mistaking an off the factory floor tourist attraction on a world that's been turned into the "Earth Amusement Park" as some mythical ship.

By trying to bring Mac II into the mainstream continuity you've so thoroughly gutted it of any value. It is what is... having it take place in an alternate reality doesn't detract from the story at all while trying to fold it into regular continuity massively changes the story to the point where the characters no longer have the same motivations and come off as just being some deranged lunatics.

What Macross II were you watching where the characters had such deep motivations?

What Macross II were you watching where the characters had such deep motivations?

It's not really that they had deep motivations, it's more that they had semi-believable motivations. trying to shoehorn MacII into the main macross universe strips away any logic that the movie did have.

MacII isn't good, but changing it to fit with the rest of the main cannon Just makes it such a worthless throwaway story that it becomes a waist of time to even bother trying to work it in. at that point all you'd get out of it are some mechanical designs that run form mediocre to complete crap

It's not really that they had deep motivations, it's more that they had semi-believable motivations. trying to shoehorn MacII into the main macross universe strips away any logic that the movie did have.

MacII isn't good, but changing it to fit with the rest of the main cannon Just makes it such a worthless throwaway story that it becomes a waist of time to even bother trying to work it in. at that point all you'd get out of it are some mechanical designs that run form mediocre to complete crap

what he said. ^_^

Just watched Red Photon Zillion 1-9. Not as bad as I remembered it being from seeing a few episodes on VHS a few years back, but can't really recommend it. Just kind of random adventures, superficial characters, and in general the approach to the concept of war was a little... childish, I guess.

Speaking of childish, it was kind of funny that the fan subber kept calling the White Knights the White Nuts.

Episodes 1-9 were all I could find, though apparently there were a lot more, but it really left me with no desire to track down or waste time on watching the rest.

Also just watched Starship Troopers 1-6 (I think that's all there was). Really good series; much better than I expected. It took things slowly, and only had a few separate moments of action, but they did a nice job of character development, and really focusing on the training and on the outside world, and not just battles. I would recommend this one to fans of realistic military anime.

It's been a few years since I read the book, but this seemed much more true to the book than the movie was. Of course, having seen this anime, it seems like the movie was based on this anime, and not the book practically at all.

Also just watched Starship Troopers 1-6 (I think that's all there was). Really good series; much better than I expected. It took things slowly, and only had a few separate moments of action, but they did a nice job of character development, and really focusing on the training and on the outside world, and not just battles. I would recommend this one to fans of realistic military anime.

It's been a few years since I read the book, but this seemed much more true to the book than the movie was. Of course, having seen this anime, it seems like the movie was based on this anime, and not the book practically at all.

Watched that recently aswell, thought it captured more from the book than the movie and they were some nice power suits. Really would have liked to have had more episodes though, wanted to know more about the bugs and more about how the war was going.

Just finished watching Strike Witches, not the usual anime i'd watch but it was fun.

Couple comments to add to what I wrote before, that I forgot to mention.

As for Zillion, it really isn't a bad show, just each episode is sort of a separate fight. I'm just not into those. I really prefer shows where we have one large overall story that is being built up to. This really felt more like a 70s anime, and not late 80s.

As for Starship Troopers, forgot to mention that it has a surprisingly good soundtrack, both themes and instrumentals, though it obviously has a late 80s sound to it too.

well the

Nintendo virtual boy

and the

Sega Dreamcast

are obvious. the thing on the right I think is an old

sony betamax player

:huh:

and I have no idea what the glove and the handheld are.

:edit: handheld is a

Sony PocketStation

also spoiler tags added, I want to see if anyone else can name these of the top of their head.

Edited by anime52k8

well the

Nintendo virtual boy

and the

Sega Dreamcast

are obvious. the thing on the right I think is an old

sony betamax player

:huh:

and I have no idea what the glove and the handheld are.

:edit: handheld is a

Sony PocketStation

also spoiler tags added, I want to see if anyone else can name these of the top of their head.

Close. The answer is below. ;)

Top, L-R:

Sony Pocket Station, Nintendo Virtual Boy, Sega Dream Cast, Sony Betamax Player

Bottom, L-R:

MOK-KOS (legendary badly sculpted KOS-MOS figure), Nintendo Power Glove.

Damn i'm nerdy....or just old?