Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.2

Graham

the problem with that though is THERE IS NO ONE ELSE that BW/Bandai/Yamato/ can work with when it comes to importing Macross toys into the US. Whether or not HG actually holds the rights that they say they do, and whether or not what they're doing is right or acceptable form a moral and/or legal standpoint is ultimately irrelevant, the fact is that HG has a stranglehold on all things macross in the US and Toynami is the only company that they've given distribution rights to.

in other words, if Bandai/Yamato/anyone else making macross products wants to play ball in the US, then they either play HG's game or not at all.

and if with that in mind your position is still the same, and you would prefer that we not be able to get Macross toys in the US cheaply and legally then bandai make a deal with HG/Toynami, then I applaud you for taking the moral high ground and sticking with it. But at the same time I have no choice but to say SCREW YOUR MORALITY! I want cheap macross merchandise, and I don't care how many people have to get stepped on for it to happen.

Morality has nothing to do with it. My whole point is that th reason that there are not - right now - affordable Macross products widely available in the United States is because of Harmony Gold.

To continue relying on Harmony Gold to bring you widely distributed Macross products at affordable prices when they haven't been capable of accomplishing that for the past 25 years is like believing that if you sit under an apple tree long enough, a bag of thousand dollar bills will suddenly fall on your laps.

If Harmony Gold had any brains, they would realize that it would make better business sense to actually cooperate with the Japanese entities that have been successful in bringing out more and more quality Macross movies, tv series and merchandise.

But Harmony Gold seems not to care about doing business but only about winning an assanine and utterly vapid legal war that only results in them having a monopoly on a vastly niche market which has seen zero growth, or should I say, a SHADOW of growth in the past.

From the point of view of a consumer, it should be obvious that to get what you want - high quality at affordable price - you should have a free and open market rather than a monopoly enforced by law at the whim of Harmony Gold, which happens to only guarantee you that once in a while an abortive attempt will be made at launching what ultimately turn out to be a low run series of mediocre products.

That's not in the interest of US consumers and fans.

Pete

Morality has nothing to do with it. My whole point is that th reason that there are not - right now - affordable Macross products widely available in the United States is because of Harmony Gold.

To continue relying on Harmony Gold to bring you widely distributed Macross products at affordable prices when they haven't been capable of accomplishing that for the past 25 years is like believing that if you sit under an apple tree long enough, a bag of thousand dollar bills will suddenly fall on your laps.

If Harmony Gold had any brains, they would realize that it would make better business sense to actually cooperate with the Japanese entities that have been successful in bringing out more and more quality Macross movies, tv series and merchandise.

But Harmony Gold seems not to care about doing business but only about winning an assanine and utterly vapid legal war that only results in them having a monopoly on a vastly niche market which has seen zero growth, or should I say, a SHADOW of growth in the past.

From the point of view of a consumer, it should be obvious that to get what you want - high quality at affordable price - you should have a free and open market rather than a monopoly enforced by law at the whim of Harmony Gold, which happens to only guarantee you that once in a while an abortive attempt will be made at launching what ultimately turn out to be a low run series of mediocre products.

That's not in the interest of US consumers and fans.

Pete

This largely should be in another thread and your understanding of the matter is fundamentally flawed. Unfortunately any discussion of licensing and the history of the Big West, Tatsunoko, Harmony Gold relationship is one that requires more than a few sentences and is highly unlikely to be productive.

New Info about Alto's "Fast Pack" at Tamashi's site

Awww...thats a bunch of bull crap! They made the Alto Fast Pack a Tamashii Web Store exclusive!! Meaning the only way we foreigners can get it is paying scalper prices on ebay... And also means its less likely there will be a DX set of Alto's VF-25 with Fast Pack (what I have been holding out for). Bad news indeed.

Ozma's Messiah was almost always wearing armor, rather than super packs, right? I seem to recall seeing the armor on him a lot.

If they're making the speakers, I'm sure we'll get an armor pack eventually..

Yeah, Ozma usually used the Armored Pack, but there were at least 1 or maybe 2 episodes where he used a Super Pack.

Graham

I've just sent off an email to OverDrive to ask if they will be able to help with obtaining the 1/60 DX Alto Super Parts for Macrossworld members.

I'll post their reply when I receive it.

Graham

Hi Graham

I sent that email few days ago and got this reply.

---------------------------

Sir

Thank you for your enqiury. Sir as we can only get the Super Parts set

at retail if you don't mind us adding a service charge to the price

there should be no problem in getting it for you. As no exact info is

available yet we can't give you a price yet but as soon as all the

info becomes available we will contact you again with the details.

I'm guessing but as the Luca and Micheal parts sets are said to be 5000

yen (about $53 right now) the Super Parts sets should be around the same

price.

Regards

--------------------------------

Ozma's Messiah was almost always wearing armor, rather than super packs, right? I seem to recall seeing the armor on him a lot.

If they're making the speakers, I'm sure we'll get an armor pack eventually..

Yes and I hope this ain't another "exclusive".

Wallet: "Will you stop....You MUST like Top Ramen huh?"

[TL note: Top Ramen* is a cheap noodle meal prepared with water. It is the choice food of starving college kids who rather blow their money on japanese collectables than to spend money on some decent groceries.....as spoken by some "figure" forums]

I basically, got the same reply: from OverDrive as well: -

Sir

Thank you for your enqiury sir. I've heard a lot about you from ******

as well as Mr ***** from Yamato.

About the Bandai Super Packs not all the details are out yet but there

should be no problem getting them for everyone who wants them. As we can

only get them at retail price there will be a service charge added to

the price but it won't be ridiculous. We were actually waiting for

Bandai to announce the retail price supposeably today before asking if

anyone wanted to order them through us. Will contact you again as soon

as we get the exact details about them.

Regards

--

OverDrive Info <info@over-drive-inc.com>

(names removed to protect the guilty).

So it's good we have at least one confirmed source. I personally have no problem with the service charge on top of the retail price, as long as it is not to excessive.

Graham

Thank you for your enqiury sir. I've heard a lot about you from ******

as well as Mr ***** from Yamato.

Oh my God! You know Mr. ***** AND ****** ??? !!!

Well, if you ever talk to Mr. ***** OR ******, tell them to let *** know that **'s cousin's uncle's friend's sister's brother said hi:)

As for the super-parts/armor pack...

I haven't been paying much attention to this, even though lots has been said about it - but am I to gather that the chances of little old me having an alto super pack are - as of this moment - pretty much nill unless I go through someone like Overdrive?

Pete

And I bet they want the money up front? :(

Sadly, I'm out. I'm pre-ordered/budgeted up to the utter limit straight through to March 09...

I was hoping to snag some fast packs after that... I will probably "regret" this since they will likely go up in price but..oh well :)

Happy to be getting the Valkyrie at least :)

Pete

I wouldn't worry about it, if they're available to anyone in Japan who goes to the website then there will be plenty of orders and you'll still be able to find them in March.

How exactly is this limited edition Super Pack made?

Is it just order in Japan and it will be made without limited quantity?

Or, will it be limited and be hard to find later?

Because I am little short of money these days and is wondering whether I can get one like next year.

I'm sure there's a limit to the quantity that will be made (although there's always the potential a very similar product will be released later or a second window would be opened up on the website if demand was strong enough). Chances are that Bandai has done the math to determine just about how many Alto/Ozma owners will want these matching parts and so they will make enough to meet that demand without having too much extra. This may be something that's hard to find a year after it's been out but I doubt you'll have problems if you can't preorder one right this minute.

Wondering how detailed they will be compared with brand Y's FAST Packs. Will they have removable covers, engine detail etc.

My guess is no.

Still as long as they look good and have the many white markings tampo printed on I will be happy.

Graham

So it is released at same time frame as VF-25G/RVF-25?

Yup. Those who have placed orders with the Tamashii Web shop will receive their orders in March which is also the same month the 25G and RVF are scheduled for release.

Makes sense since Bandai can run the production line for the super packs for all 3 figures at once. They only need to paint the highlights in different colors and tampo different numbers on (003, 004 and 007).

I basically, got the same reply: from OverDrive as well: -

(names removed to protect the guilty).

So it's good we have at least one confirmed source. I personally have no problem with the service charge on top of the retail price, as long as it is not to excessive.

Graham

That's cool news! Overdrive, our friend!

I got a VF-25G pre-ordered.. it gonna be my first high quality valk toy beside the 1/65 VF-19s and cheapo Toynami 1/100. We got a 6 year old here so Yamato is a big no no in the house! (the VF-19 he played alot is still in one piece.. something impossible for Yamatos)

Edited by ntsan