Macross and Macross Frontier get their due

Duke Togo

Scott covers Macross, and I give the review. Its generally spoiler free, focuses on the mains, and I tried to keep it short and to the point. Its not short, but its not the behemoth is was shaping up to be.

This is the first time I can recall Macross being the focus of an article on AICN, and certainly this is the most coverage its gotten there (as Scott points out).

AICN Anime - Macross Frontier - Deculture!

edit: snipped article, go read it there and throw up some talkback. :)

Edited by Duke Togo

That's some good writing, Togo. You manage to encapsulate the important points in a nice, focussed way, and are mostly positive without being blind to series faults.

Of course, what I'm really hoping for is some eccentric billionaire to see your review and say, "Damn the cost, let's bring all this 'Macross' nonsense to the western world!"

Doubt it'll happen, of course...but I can dream, right?

excellent, well-written review!

The one real standout is Sheryl Nome, whose confidence and strength are not just some facade covering up inner doubt and weakness. And when she finally seems to be breaking under the crushing weight life has put upon her, the second wind she receives allows her to absolutely soar.

i liked this bit particularly, and not just because i'm a sheryl fan. in just two sentences you captured the essence of sheryl. gave me goosebumps reading it.

That's some good writing, Togo. You manage to encapsulate the important points in a nice, focussed way, and are mostly positive without being blind to series faults.

Of course, what I'm really hoping for is some eccentric billionaire to see your review and say, "Damn the cost, let's bring all this 'Macross' nonsense to the western world!"

Doubt it'll happen, of course...but I can dream, right?

agreed. good writing by the Duke. :)

but hey, I'M an eccentric billonaire, and hell yeah i say, DAMN THE COST, let's bring all this to the western world...

ahem... well, like you said, I can dream, right? :p

i liked this bit particularly, and not just because i'm a sheryl fan. in just two sentences you captured the essence of sheryl. gave me goosebumps reading it.

y'know, that was the exact same part that really gave me a smile. and all the scenes of sheryl flashed into my mind. yup, perfect two sentences, each and every word. :)

for a while there, you got me thinking if your surname was either Ayala, Cojuangco, Gokongwei, Lopez, or Tan. ;)

haha. :lol: well, i have a Lopez in my name, unfortunately it's not from that particular family. :p

i wonder how the talkback in that AICN entry is. but if it's just all of us saying the same things all over again, i'll just stick with MW. :D

for a while there, you got me thinking if your surname was either Ayala, Cojuangco, Gokongwei, Lopez, or Tan. ;)

I loled. :lol:

Off course to steer things backs to Macross (and away from Philippine high society), you'd have to ad Bilrer to the list.

Wait, wait wait... What is this? O_o

Despite contradictory statements, there is evidence that the Big West/Studio Nue-Tatsunoko Productions/Harmony Gold dispute has at least dampened commercial enthusiasm for a North American release of the five episode prequel OVA Macross Zero (2002).

Macross in the USA? As long as they don't call it: "Robotech Zero: Protoculture Begins" or something lame like that.

Edited by OmegaD3k

Anime doesn't get much talkback on AICN. And when it does, its usually "cartoons suck, pedophiles!"

Then again, I tried posting talkback yesterday, and it didn't go up.

edit: Yeah, talkback doesn't seem to be working for me.

Edited by Duke Togo

A positivie or negative review (from the main contributors) generally (but not always) depend on how close the reviewer is the writer or director of a film. Or even who is starring in it. Generally, yes, its a crap site, but unfortunately, it gets alot of attention (and love) from the Hollywood folks.

Anyone here who reads it can tell you most of the talkback on their reviews are filled with mocking and insulting comments aimed at the reviewer in question. The fans know its a joke, Hollywood doesn't.

But hey, Macross getting attention gets my attention!

Scott covers Macross, and I give the review. Its generally spoiler free, focuses on the mains, and I tried to keep it short and to the point. Its not short, but its not the behemoth is was shaping up to be.

This is the first time I can recall Macross being the focus of an article on AICN, and certainly this is the most coverage its gotten there (as Scott points out).

AICN Anime - Macross Frontier - Deculture!

edit: snipped article, go read it there and throw up some talkback. :)

Nice article, Duke Togo. :) That was a darn good read. :D

agreed. good writing by the Duke. :)

but hey, I'M an eccentric billonaire, and hell yeah i say, DAMN THE COST, let's bring all this to the western world...

ahem... well, like you said, I can dream, right? :p

You don't happen to OWN a P.M.C., a transforming aircraft carrier bearing the number "25," some VF's, a 1/1 size train set & a giant ring with a picture of Minmei , do you? :p

Edited by grss1982

That was a very good read, I was thinking that there is enough in there to warrant all of the designs irrelevant to HGs grip on the franchise outside of Asia. Not even Minmay looks like the SDFM Minmay as we've all seen and the only old-school thing that shows up is a VF-1 and that's not many. Aptly put criticisms on it, not biased at all, I can imagine what homotech fans would think :rolleyes: