Sheryl's Past

ComicKaze

So we know now that Sheryl is Mao's grandaughter and they've even edited in some earrings into Macross Zero. How did she end up a poor and destitute kid on Macross Galaxy? It seemed like the photograph was something Sheryl's birth mother sent to the science fleet to Mao. What happened?

Answer in the movie maybe? Or maybe it will remain a mystery... :(

that's good material for the movie. :)

but even if it remains a mystery, it's not so much a big deal. Mao's son/daughter just happened to live in Macross Galaxy. If her son/daughter is a civilian, then it would make sense that he/she is not on the Global, because the 117th is not a colony fleet. maybe he/she died of natural causes. and galaxy being too caught up in its cybernetics, sheryl just fell through the cracks. happens all the time in real life (not the cybernetics, of course.) :)

Don't you think it would be a bit too much of a coincidence if Macross F's Sithlord Grace just happens to stumble upon a poor infant who just happens to be her Nemesis' grandaughter?

Seeing as Dr. Mao was sent a postcard, it's possible that Grace knew about Sheryl and was planning to use either her or Ranka. More likely, once she couldn't get her hands on Ranka (since Ozma got her instead) she decided to go after Sheryl.

So we know now that Sheryl is Mao's grandaughter and they've even edited in some earrings into Macross Zero. How did she end up a poor and destitute kid on Macross Galaxy? It seemed like the photograph was something Sheryl's birth mother sent to the science fleet to Mao. What happened?

I was told the plot does not matter. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering about that as well. I'll assume Sheryl and her mother lived on the Galaxy even at the time of the incident.

However it's unlikely to be a coïncidence that Grace just "happened" to stump upon Mao's grand-daughter to use her in the Fairy project, so it's safe to assume she must have looked for her.

But what then happened for Sheryl to end up being a poor kid on the street, without even a memory of her mother except for her earrings ?

Seriously a full blowned prequel to Macross Frontier about the 117th fleet and the immediate follow up could be interesting.

-Sergorn

this all goes to my feeling that Frontier should have been longer to allow for better fleshing out of certain aspects of the storyline... If it was it would have been far more epic, and even more worthy of being the spiritual successor to SDFM.

yes I like Epic tales.

this all goes to my feeling that Frontier should have been longer to allow for better fleshing out of certain aspects of the storyline...

I agree, I was disapointed when i heard there was only 25 episodes, I always thought the standard number of episodes for a tv series was 26, since most anime series i've seen are only 26 or more episodes. Still theres always the chance for a movie, OVA or even a season 2.

Edited by kung flu

I agree, I was disapointed when i heard there was only 25 episodes, I always thought the standard number of episodes for a tv series was 26, since most anime series i've seen are only 26 or more episodes. Still theres always the chance for a movie, OVA or even a season 2.

It was 25 episodes because of the 25th anniversary.

Answer in the movie maybe? Or maybe it will remain a mystery... :(

It will probably remain a mystery, because I don't think they gave it much thought. It seems to me that alot of things about Macross Frontier were "made up" as they went along and had not been planned originally. Making Sheryl the grandaughter of Mao seemed to me, more like an afterthought.

It will probably remain a mystery, because I don't think they gave it much thought. It seems to me that alot of things about Macross Frontier were "made up" as they went along and had not been planned originally. Making Sheryl the grandaughter of Mao seemed to me, more like an afterthought.

afterthought or not, it works. and the fact that her hair changes color to something closer to Mao's when she is near death was an interesting bit of proof. it seems that she was also wearing some kind of haircessory like Mao used to (and ranka too... it wouldnt surprise me at all at this point if sheryl and ranka were cousins. Alto may be in for BIG trouble lol)

Edited by Shaka_Z

It was 25 episodes because of the 25th anniversary.

indeed, funny thing how some other shows had 25 eps this season :blink: were they just jumping on the bandwagon or what haha

According to episode 22, Sheryl's been infected for 17 years (and I'm guessing she's about 18 when she's told). There's definitely more to this. There's definitely some 'transfer' of people from the 117 fleet to Galaxy. Is there a date about when Galaxy left Eden? (if you follow the squiggly lines in the first episodes, it departed from Eden, whereas Frontier departed from Earth).

There MUST be another series. There probably won't be, but there MUST be.

My hypothesis is, that Sheryls family was living on Galaxy, and after the 117th went down, Grace went after them, killing Sheryls parents ( damn you Grace! Sheryls mom was HOT! ), letting Sheryl live on the street for a while ( while making sure nothing too untowards happened to her ).

Then, when Sheryl was at her lowest, she came in, setting herself up as Sheryls saviour. She probably infected Sheryl with the V-Type disease during that stay in the hospital, too, because where else would Sheryl have gotten it before that?

I wonder if the people who think they just make stuff up as they go along actually know how involved the animation process is. :) This isn't live action; you don't just throw people on to a set and film the latest daily episode of your soap opera. (Heck, even live action isn't that simple.) Everything has to be planned months, if not years, in advance.

I'm only more convinced of this when I see call-outs in the early episodes to things that only get revealed at the end. While there's some room to make on-the-fly changes in the tiniest of areas, most of the story has to be pieced out so voices can be recorded and the work farmed out to various studios to work on in parallel.