Macross in Hawaii

Starchild

I recently got back from my honeymoon. My wife and I went to Hawaii. It was AMAZING. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been. We came across a store in Honolulu called Toys 'N Joys. Being that Hawaii is kind of the midway point to Japan, and the Japanese population of Oahu is pretty numerous, I was looking for any signs of Macross. I am still being made fun of by my wife, she says I got more excited for the discovery of this store than anything else.

Check out these pictures to see what I found. The prices seemed a little on the expensive side - $248 for the VF-0S w/ Ghost Booster. I saw it for about $40-$50 less on ebay, but shipping usually made it about equal. I was considering buying a few, but I would have had to ship them back, and at that point I might as well have waited and used HLJ or ebay.

Just though this was interesting.

- Star

post-248-1222263705_thumb.jpg

post-248-1222263725_thumb.jpg

post-248-1222263740_thumb.jpg

post-248-1222263751_thumb.jpg

wow nice find :)

probably a good thing that store isn't within driving distance of me my credit card would be in serious danger :lol:

still though I'd love it if it were siiiiiiiigh

nice find, I would have gone bunkers too, hehe, I order a few things from them, took a awhile to get them and the price was marked up kinda high, Toys N' Joys are in the seller Black list here in MW cause of selling items they don't have in stock, very high prices and extremely slow shipping...

nice find, I would have gone bunkers too, hehe, I order a few things from them, took a awhile to get them and the price was marked up kinda high, Toys N' Joys are in the seller Black list here in MW cause of selling items they don't have in stock, very high prices and extremely slow shipping...

Or either they advertise stuff they don't have in stock. Worst online experience yet.

:angry:

OO

I am gonna chime in here. I heard about the bad experiences some of you had with the online service. I also admit there prices are higher than other places. But there is something about walkin the store, and seeing all the anime goodies along with the trading figures. I am in awe when I go in there. I don't buy anything though due to the inflated prices, but it is nice to look. :D Hey Starchild, you should have checked out Mechahawaii, they are right across the street. It is a smaller shop, but the owner is super cool, and is always helpful. Prices are cheaper also. ;)

Oh man! I wish I found these when I went to Hawaii this summer! Fudge it all! But I live in Japan, so I understand how some of you feel, gods! I can swipe my card to pick up a complete VF-0 and YF-19, but I must resist! Sad thing is I just have to walk 10 minutes into a Marui where the Yellow Sub is or 15 to get to the iBox! My gf always laughs at me when she sees me holding and staring down the boxes of VFs as if they were her. :lol:

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

Hey Starchild, you should have checked out Mechahawaii, they are right across the street. It is a smaller shop, but the owner is super cool, and is always helpful. Prices are cheaper also. ;)

I WAS there too... very cool store. We had burritos next door at BC Burritos. Smaller and VERY packed with all types of stuff. More like your typical comic book store. Toys 'N Joys was 98% Japanese and anime - I loved it.

Hah, I was just there in August. Toys 'N Joys is like the toy stores I remember from the 80's, high shelves just packed with every type of toy. Aren't many stores like that any more. Also had the BC breakfast burrito! There are actually two nerd stores across the street. The one closer to BC Burritoes is more like a general nerd store with comics, role playing game stuff, and DVDs. The owner was really friendly. Down the street is another store with tons of 1/48 valkyries hanging from the ceiling, but the guy there was really unfriendly. I tried to chat him up about Macross and he wouldn't say more than two words to me...and I was the only customer in the store!

Edited by danth

Oh man! I wish I found these when I went to Hawaii this summer! Fudge it all!

I can't remember if it was last year or two years ago but there was another thread called macross in Hawaii.

But like you said being in Japan is better.... except of the few old kits that are hidden on the top shelves in old stores.

I can't remember if it was last year or two years ago but there was another thread called macross in Hawaii.

But like you said being in Japan is better.... except of the few old kits that are hidden on the top shelves in old stores.

Yeah, definitely, I found a few VF-1s with the special decal set of the Black Aces or some squadron that I'm sure use to be around flying F-14s a long time ago. I found a few VF-22s and original M+ edition of the YF-19 and the Armored VF-0, I come back the next day and they're gone. The one I'd buy on the spot is DDs SV-51, all I can find is Nora's and those are always in stock. Last time I went to one Bandai has started throwing out chunky monkeys on the market and they cost almost the same a Yammy 1/60 VF-1. :o

All I know is when the YF-21 and VF-11 come out in 1/60, I'm gonna buy them s.o.bs. together with the YF-19.

I was looking for the CMs vol.1 and the Macross series Book that was advertised in their website about 2 years ago when I visited this store. Unfortunately, they dont have it. But still they do have plenty of anime stuff inside. worth checking out when you're in Hawaii. ^_^

I recently got back from my honeymoon. My wife and I went to Hawaii. It was AMAZING. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been. We came across a store in Honolulu called Toys 'N Joys. Being that Hawaii is kind of the midway point to Japan, and the Japanese population of Oahu is pretty numerous, I was looking for any signs of Macross. I am still being made fun of by my wife, she says I got more excited for the discovery of this store than anything else.

Check out these pictures to see what I found. The prices seemed a little on the expensive side - $248 for the VF-0S w/ Ghost Booster. I saw it for about $40-$50 less on ebay, but shipping usually made it about equal. I was considering buying a few, but I would have had to ship them back, and at that point I might as well have waited and used HLJ or ebay.

Just though this was interesting.

- Star

Right there with ya...I discovered this place 2 years ago when I took my wife to Waikiki. I actually went to MechaHawaii first, run by Sean Akita, which was a pretty awesome store in it's own right, and he was very cool. But Toys 'N Joys was just crammed from wall to wall with Japanese toy goodness. There was so much stuff that boxes of Japanese Transformers were stacked on the floor as well as the shelves and pegs. My wife was suffering from strept throat, bless her heart, but went along with me and suffered the whole time I was gawking at all the stuff I wanted but couldn't possibly afford, let alone afford to ship back to Spokane. I bought Binaltech Prowl and a few of the Microman Aliens/Predator and Batman figs from Sean. If ever in Oahu, these two stores should be on your must-see list.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Toys N Joys.....I remember back in the day when i got famicom games from them(lived there for 17yrs....now stuck in the desert). Great store but i agree with their online service....I'm glad they didn't screw me with my Milia Chunky monkey. I loved hawaii for all the "mom and pop" japanese goody stores....must be cuz they're the closet US state to japan. I should tell my brother to check out that MechaHawaii place....any body got their address?

"ho cuz check dis one brah.....o-rite" hahahhaha

Right there with ya...I discovered this place 2 years ago when I took my wife to Waikiki. I actually went to MechaHawaii first, run by Sean Akita, which was a pretty awesome store in it's own right, and he was very cool. But Toys 'N Joys was just crammed from wall to wall with Japanese toy goodness. There was so much stuff that boxes of Japanese Transformers were stacked on the floor as well as the shelves and pegs. My wife was suffering from strept throat, bless her heart, but went along with me and suffered the whole time I was gawking at all the stuff I wanted but couldn't possibly afford, let alone afford to ship back to Spokane. I bought Binaltech Prowl and a few of the Microman Aliens/Predator and Batman figs from Sean. If ever in Oahu, these two stores should be on your must-see list.

Yeah, Sean is super cool. I buy all my goodies from him. Too bad he does not do mail order anymore. But when in town, please stop by and say hello. :)

Toys n' Joys is a really old store. Their website has been around since the early internet days. Interesting to finally see what the actual brick and mortor looks like. I know lots of people who had issues with their online store 5 years ago when buying videogames, etc.

Edited by ComicKaze