sci fi in macross

kino

how's is ranka lee 1/4 zentradi? one of her grandparents were zentradi? how does a human mate with a zentradi...

any other interesting tidbits about the sci fi in macross would be much appreciated :)

Ask the expert, Max Genius ^_^

how's is ranka lee 1/4 zentradi? one of her grandparents were zentradi? how does a human mate with a zentradi...

any other interesting tidbits about the sci fi in macross would be much appreciated :)

Hehehe.... I believe u should head to the "Newbies Questions on Macross" thread... ^_^

I'd rather turn this thread into a "name the SCI-FI inspirations for Macross..." one.

For example... I've always thought that the Zentradi Esbeliben Regult Battlepods were inspired by the Tripods from War of the Worlds & the Space Pod from Stanley Kubrick's "2001"...

post-7862-1211525294_thumb.jpg

post-7862-1211525321_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Back in the day, we used to find out the answers to these questions by going to our favorite video store and checking out the "special titles" in the back.

Edited by d3v

We'll, presumably one of them has to either micronize or macronize until they are both the same size and then they do it the good old fashioned way.

If you don't know how it's done yet, google 'sex education', or ask your parents.

It's not my job to teach you the facts of life!

Graham

Hehehe.... I believe u should head to the "Newbies Questions on Macross" thread... ^_^

I'd rather turn this thread into a "name the SCI-FI inspirations for Macross..." one.

For example... I've always thought that the Zentradi Esbeliben Regult Battlepods were inspired by the Tripods from War of the Worlds & the Space Pod from Stanley Kubrick's "2001"...

I think that the Miss Macross competition in Macross Frontier was inspired by the Miss Macross Competition in the SDF:M series.

Taksraven

(I know that responses like that make baby Jesus cry, but.........)

I think that the Miss Macross competition in Macross Frontier was inspired by the Miss Macross Competition in the SDF:M series.

Taksraven

(I know that responses like that make baby Jesus cry, but.........)

Really, well I think Lanka's rendition of "My Boyfriend Is a Pilot" was inspired by Minmay!

I was going to post this in the Klan thread, but as we are trying to keep it clean, I'll be naughty and sneak it in here instead...tee hee!

Here's my 'safe sex' solution for when the male is micronized and the female is macronized, ala Klan and Mikhail. :p

Bad Graham

post-11-1211446085_thumb.jpg

I was going to post this in the Klan thread, but as we are trying to keep it clean, I'll be naughty and sneak it in here instead...tee hee!

Here's my 'safe sex' solution for when the male is micronized and the female is macronized, ala Klan and Mikhail. :p

Bad Graham

Yuck deculture :ph34r: :ph34r:

:lol:

Bad Graham

It should also include a scuba dive mask and/or air tank... :lol:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Or maybe how Macross has inspired other sci fi.

For instance, the way Battlestar galactica is going right now (with the heavy reliance on peace between peoples, and music), i wouldn't be surprised if Ron Moore turned out to be a macross fan.

On the other hand, the concept of a space ark carrying humanity's survivors in macross could have been inspired by the original BSG series. So at this point, they're even.

Of course Macross was also probably partly inspired by the oldest of them all: Space Battleship Yamato. :)

Or maybe how Macross has inspired other sci fi.

For instance, the way Battlestar galactica is going right now (with the heavy reliance on peace between peoples, and music), i wouldn't be surprised if Ron Moore turned out to be a macross fan.

On the other hand, the concept of a space ark carrying humanity's survivors in macross could have been inspired by the original BSG series. So at this point, they're even.

Of course Macross was also probably partly inspired by the oldest of them all: Space Battleship Yamato. :)

Well... Both Kazutaka Miyatake & Shoji Kawamori worked in Uchuu Senkan Yamato as interns/guest designers I believe (Kawamori was a teenager back then). Miyatake designed the SDF-1, so I guess he must have seen the original BSG since his Macross design is waaay different than those of Yamato. I read somewhere that Kawamori is a fan of Space Battleship Yamato & it influenced his works a lot...

Gamilons= Zentradi

Wave Motion Gun = Super Dimension Cannon

Wave Motion Engine = Fold Reactor

post-7862-1211453825_thumb.jpg

Do we know if there was any real sf or literary inspiration for the Zentradi to be a race of giants? Are they based on anything interesting. Or did the producers just think that they would be a good idea?

Or did having a race of giants in the series justify the Valks?

Taksraven

Speaking of BSG, jumps look alot more like old fashioned folds in that series... but oddly in Frontier the folds seem alot more like something out of Stargate. As good as BSG is all around, it'd be that much better with bridge bunnies.

While not technically sci-fi, and I don't know how likely the inspiration would be... but for some reason the only thing I could think of at the end of Macross 7 was Ghostbusters II.

Speaking of BSG, jumps look alot more like old fashioned folds in that series... but oddly in Frontier the folds seem alot more like something out of Stargate. As good as BSG is all around, it'd be that much better with bridge bunnies.

I agree that the FTL methods are similar, but I think I can find the differences (this is what I do, I get to the bottom of how things work in Sci-fi ^_^ ). The way I see it, the hyperspace jumps in Galactica are basically the same as a space fold, but in Galactica they seem instantaneous whereas in Macross they seem to take time fold from one location to another (giving off the appearance of a tunnel like hyperspace or wormholes). The fact of the matter is though, wormholes is exactly what it is, because that is all wormholes are, folding space. So I see the 'Jump' technology of Galactica and the fold space technology of Macross to be artificially folding space which is just basically temporary wormholes.

As for the reason as to why the jumps are instantaneous in Galactica and take travel time in Macross, there are two possible reasons.

- The first, and IMO most likely, is that in Galactica they don't have the power to do long distance jumps so they do short jumps. These jumps are short enough that you wouldn't see the tunnel effect and the jump/fold would be almost instantaneous, but still technically a wormhole of some type (I'm not sure if these sci-fi space folds would constitute an Einstein Rosenbridge, which is a type of theoretical wormhole). In Macross perhaps because of overtechnology they have the power to do longer folds so you see them in a sense of taking time and traveling within the tunnel.

- The second reason I can think of is kind of the opposite of above, which is assuming Galactica doesn't have power for long jumps but in Macross they do. Supposedly if you are going to travel say 20 lightyears you can do that taking more time with the tunnel and the traveling, or with more power you can make the fold tighter, as in the entrance and exit points are closer together so the fold would be quick and seem instantaneous. So perhaps in Macross they don't have the power to do instantaneous long range jumps, so they do long distance folding that takes a while to pass through the tunnel.

Both theories can actually be true, it depends on if Galactica is doing short or long jumps, and I assumed in Macross they do longer range as the get to places near the center of the Galaxy which is quite far from Earth. Another possibility is that the long tunnel-like fold in Macross is composed of many jump-like folds in Galactica linked in a chain, which would fit well with the first theory actually.

There is my sci-fi examination of the day, I do this kind of thinking all the time so feel free to ask me stuff that I might have thought about.

And yes, Galactica should have Bridge Bunnies ^_^ .

Here's my 'safe sex' solution for when the male is micronized and the female is macronized, ala Klan and Mikhail. tongue.gif

Bad Graham

A guy in a mosquito net is your idea of safe sex? :huh:

As to sci-fi stuff... I don't know anything about science - so I haven't got much to say on this point. In fact; everything I learned about science I learned in cartoons and comic books :) But this thread is an interesting read.

VFTF1

As to sci-fi stuff... I don't know anything about science - so I haven't got much to say on this point. In fact; everything I learned about science I learned in cartoons and comic books :) But this thread is an interesting read.

VFTF1

It's not for everyone, but science is everywhere in my life and I love it. I'm not any aspiring scientist though, I am an aerospace engineering student (hence the engineering quote in the sig) so you can imagine this kind of stuff is just right up my ally, big space ships, small ones, even the valkyries are just amazing works of engineering I think. Besides of lack of technology I think the only thing that'd keep a valkyrie from existing in real life is that there really isn't a good reason for a battroid... unless we meet some giant aliens sometime soon. However that doesn't mean I can't dream... and draw up rough design sketches that I may someday use B)) .

THere are some things i can see from Macross that can exist in real life, for example the konig monster could be the tank of the future if the army was serious on building such a thing. A friend of mind who is in the army tells me that the armed forces actually look at stuff like Macross for ideas for the next gen for their war machines.

THere are some things i can see from Macross that can exist in real life, for example the konig monster could be the tank of the future if the army was serious on building such a thing. A friend of mind who is in the army tells me that the armed forces actually look at stuff like Macross for ideas for the next gen for their war machines.

Great. <_< Let's built more weapons in real life to kill innocent civilians in so called "collateral damages".

So this is about sex in Macross??

It could have been easy for the Protoculture to make the Zentradi infertile in that they had the organs but not working.

The only reason I can think of for the Zentradi to be able to reproduce and also interbreed with humanity was because the Protoculture were expecting it to occur at some point, probably as part of their legacy if they went extinct.

After all at least a group of Protoculture programmed the ruins in Macross 7 to no be able to be access by humans nor Zentradi but only by the symbol of peace, Mylene a Zentradi-human hybrid.

Do we even have anything applicable enough for a power plant in a Valkyrie or Monster?

Maybe nuclear in a Monster...

Well Valkyries in the shows are powered by thermonuclear reactors as well. The engines in their legs are basically compact nuclear reactors (which heat up air/gas to a plasma state and thrust it out for propellant). A monster probably would need/has in the show a bigger reactor or reactors.

A guy in a mosquito net is your idea of safe sex? :huh:

VFTF1

amazing. i thought this was thread was certainly going to be locked. the first question was really way out there. it's a good thing the thread topic itself had almost nothing to do with the first question. :D

a few years back, i actually read an article that the military was trying to develop air fighters with V/STOL (vertical/short take off and landing) and space capability, and that one of the more efficient designs that the military was considering was reconfiguring parts of the aircraft to maket perfect VSTOL possible. in the article, the military was actually looking at the designs of macross valkyries to determine which aspects of the design are actually feasible. :) was i excited when i read the article! part of me wanted to fly to the pentagon, and enlist. :lol:

for the life of me, can't find that article anymore. i'm trying to search for the article again via google, but here's something else that i found. an old one, but a fascinating read: mech and engineering experts here, feel free to agree or disagree. heck, for all i know , maybe even one of you wrote the article. :)

http://www.nationalexposer.com/dec012000-1.htm

here's an interesting part of the article:

"Our on site source apparently had to back off, way off. The last reports we received stated that he was leaving Texas due to investigations being launched his direction. Apparently the cockpit designs (and future cockpit designs) were not accessible. The engine designs were also heavily guarded. My web sources state theories on fusion engines and full body sensor suits that make the Mech react exactly like the pilot’s movements, with some computer corrections to fill in the differences. It seems that women’s body movements worked most efficiently with this piloting system. We hope men who qualify for the body movement program weren’t chastised too much by their peers. None of these reports have been confirmed however".

Sounds like the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist, but if this has some truth to it... ;)

Edited by dreamweaver13

a few years back, i actually read an article that the military was trying to develop air fighters with V/STOL (vertical/short take off and landing) and space capability, and that one of the more efficient designs that the military was considering was reconfiguring parts of the aircraft to maket perfect VSTOL possible. in the article, the military was actually looking at the designs of macross valkyries to determine which aspects of the design are actually feasible. :) was i excited when i read the article! part of me wanted to fly to the pentagon, and enlist. :lol:

for the life of me, can't find that article anymore. i'm trying to search for the article again via google, but here's something else that i found. an old one, but a fascinating read: mech and engineering experts here, feel free to agree or disagree. heck, for all i know , maybe even one of you wrote the article. :)

http://www.nationalexposer.com/dec012000-1.htm

here's an interesting part of the article:

"Our on site source apparently had to back off, way off. The last reports we received stated that he was leaving Texas due to investigations being launched his direction. Apparently the cockpit designs (and future cockpit designs) were not accessible. The engine designs were also heavily guarded. My web sources state theories on fusion engines and full body sensor suits that make the Mech react exactly like the pilot’s movements, with some computer corrections to fill in the differences. It seems that women’s body movements worked most efficiently with this piloting system. We hope men who qualify for the body movement program weren’t chastised too much by their peers. None of these reports have been confirmed however".

Sounds like the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist, but if this has some truth to it... ;)

I agree that military are probably looking into mech systems for practical use and someday we may see mechs. I certainly can see a valkyrie style mech usable, the gerwalk for the VTOL function you mentioned, the battroid still needs more reason, but some of the stuff that article said makes sense.

Although the stuff in that article makes sense, and I think mech experimentation and research may exist and we may one day have stuff like that, I think that picture at the top and that the military is that far on anything is probably fake. I doubt we would have anything that can be photographed on picture, and that photo looks like of CG, just fuzzied up in attempt to look real.

Do we know if there was any real sf or literary inspiration for the Zentradi to be a race of giants? Are they based on anything interesting. Or did the producers just think that they would be a good idea?

Or did having a race of giants in the series justify the Valks?

Taksraven

Actually the valks were created specifically to fight the Zentradi. The inspiration for the enemy alien humanoid giants must have come the old Sci-Fi American TV series "Land of the Giants" (1968).

I used to watch re-runs of that show when I was a kid. It rocked, hehe... ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I'm not sure the sex education question should be answered in this or the newbie thread... :blink:

As for sci-fi in Macross...please continue.

Hey, for plenty of Otaku "sex-education" might as well be science fiction!!!

Actually the valks were created specifically to fight the Zentradi. The inspiration for the enemy alien humanoid giants must have come the old Sci-Fi American TV series "Land of the Giants" (1968).

wow, i didn't even know that such a series existed!! :D

the difference with thisone is that the humans are technologically superior to the giants.

The idea of humans vs. giants goes back WAAAAAAY before 1968...earliest known would probably be Sumerian mythology...

Either that, or Studio Nue managed to build a workable time machine, go forward in time, and see "Honey, I Blew Up the Baby," and came back and worked it into their show.

The only hole I can find in that theory is that if they had gone into the future, they would've known never to let Harmony Gold have anything to do with Macross...