Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread II *Read 1st Post*

I find the fun is surprising fans with visual comparisons. It's always a lot of fun when I can visually describe to fans the differences between subjects which might seem too abstract when described with words. I can put up a profile that tells the reader City 7 is roughly 6 kilometers long while Island 1 is 15 kilometers long. I can even come up with a volume comparison. But it's not until a comparison picture like the one above displays the difference visually that fans truly begin to notice the difference. It's always fun. :)

I find the fun is surprising fans with visual comparisons. It's always a lot of fun when I can visually describe to fans the differences between subjects which might seem too abstract when described with words. I can put up a profile that tells the reader City 7 is roughly 6 kilometers long while Island 1 is 15 kilometers long. I can even come up with a volume comparison. But it's not until a comparison picture like the one above displays the difference visually that fans truly begin to notice the difference. It's always fun. :)

Well, size does matter ^_^ . I hope they can release a top view of all the colony ship type, it would be nice to see Megaroad next to the West Point class :rolleyes:

It's actually a shame that some fans don't notice size differences when it is written in text. It's almost like they are not reading posts. Which is sad, as this is a message board...

I understood the size differences when they were said but seeing a picture detailing the difference is always very helpful to see how much bigger it really is. Though I didn't have that much trouble in the end.

It's actually a shame that some fans don't notice size differences when it is written in text. It's almost like they are not reading posts. Which is sad, as this is a message board...

Wait, they got text on Chronicle? How did I missed that :blink:

Yeah, I'm the 'scan page for images' type person.

:lol:

No. Size info on Island one has been on the Compendium for a long time. The only new info that I've gleened (so far) from Chronicle is that the Island One is a new type of long range emmigration ship. (SDF:1* Class > Megaroad Class > New Macross Class > Island Cluster Class.)

*Chronicle just calls it Macross. I'm using the alphabet soup to make the meaning clearer here.)

No. Size info on Island one has been on the Compendium for a long time. The only new info that I've gleened (so far) from Chronicle is that the Island One is a new type of long range emmigration ship. (SDF:1* Class > Megaroad Class > New Macross Class > Island Cluster Class.)

*Chronicle just calls it Macross. I'm using the alphabet soup to make the meaning clearer here.)

Well frontier established that the SDF-1 type battleships were christened the original Macross Class. With the NMC being their eventual replacement. The island cluster appears to be the latest version of the NMC, since all the original elements of the NMC colonization ship are still present.

Well, for me at least, the biggest visual clue in size was the fact that buildings in Macross 7 actually went through the dome roof.

I agree. That was always a good method of scaling. A clever visual cue.

I agree. That was always a good method of scaling. A clever visual cue.

Yes, I believe it was a few posts back in this thread where I asked about the size difference of City 7 and Island 1 after noticing those buildings (specifically Millia's office/city hall).

Just imagine the size of new Macross class ships in 100 years. 50, 60 or even 100 kilometers long maybe. :wacko:

they'll be towing planets behind em... :ph34r:

Well, for me at least, the biggest visual clue in size was the fact that buildings in Macross 7 actually went through the dome roof.

i still don't understand how those protruding buildings work?! they'd be out in open space, so i expect they can't open their windows right? also what happens when the dome shell closes?

another thing i dont understand is how the sky/sun in the underside of the shell works? i imagine people within the city can still see the dark sky and stars when the face the rear end of the City isn't it? :wacko:

PS > thanks for those scale pics... really awesome to see them ;)

Edited by Shun

another thing i dont understand is how the sky/sun in the underside of the shell works? i imagine people within the city can still see the dark sky and stars when the face the rear end of the City isn't it? :wacko:

There's an easy enough experiment to resolve that question. Wait for the sun to rise in the morning. Then look the other direction. Does the sky look dark?

:p

Get enough light in play, especially in an atmosphere (which the light will reflect off of), and it makes things bright no matter whether you're looking toward or away from it. You can also see something similar in just about any city, where the glare from the lights that are always on make it difficult to see all that many stars.

yeah i know the atmosphere helps in bouncing the light off, but even the size of frontier is wayyyyy too small. we're talking about planetary-sized atmosphere to have that sort of effect.

on the other hand, it doesn't matter how bright the source is. the sun is extremely bright but if you dont have a good (huge) amount of air (dense atmosphere) around you, u still see the darkness of space, just like on the Moon.

lets just say the air is dense enough, what about the people in the city dome - those near the edges? they dont have enough since their "sky" is way lower than the middle, and they dont have any "sky" towards the edge. Earth is different because we don't have an "edge" and not flat like the City domes

Edited by Shun

yeah i know the atmosphere helps in bouncing the light off, but even the size of frontier is wayyyyy too small. we're talking about planetary-sized atmosphere to have that sort of effect.

on the other hand, it doesn't matter how bright the source is. the sun is extremely bright but if you dont have a good (huge) amount of air (dense atmosphere) around you, u still see the darkness of space, just like on the Moon.

Of course, keep in mind that the domes themselves aren't constructed from glass. Though you can easily see into the domes from outside, they aren't necessarily transparent from the inside (except in the odd location, such as the observation dome outside the SMS headquarters). They're obviously translucent, since we can see things going on outside. But from what I can tell they're not fully transparent and obscure the view somewhat. With the proper setup, they could be arranged to keep a certain amount of light from escaping the dome and the islands.

they'll be towing planets behind em... :ph34r:

i still don't understand how those protruding buildings work?! they'd be out in open space, so i expect they can't open their windows right? also what happens when the dome shell closes?

PS > thanks for those scale pics... really awesome to see them ;)

Erm... Aim For the Top 2, Diebuster already had that (the towed Earth being chased by a giant alien, which was itself towing a black hole (which it had just consumed, or something.) Maybe the series should be called "over the top"?

Buildings in space are the same as spaceships with windows in space.

The inside of the shell is done with holographic projections. There's probably a bit of reflected light from a nearby star going on as well. The interior of the dome may also be coated with something that reflects back the blue wavelength of light.

Personally, what always got me scratching my head are all of those subway tubes running over the surface of the dome. I think there are also some stations up there. I can understand their need when the dome is closed. But as it's hardly ever closed and there are no charlie and the chocolate factory glass elevators...

Buildings in space are the same as spaceships with windows in space.

The inside of the shell is done with holographic projections. There's probably a bit of reflected light from a nearby star going on as well. The interior of the dome may also be coated with something that reflects back the blue wavelength of light.

Personally, what always got me scratching my head are all of those subway tubes running over the surface of the dome. I think there are also some stations up there. I can understand their need when the dome is closed. But as it's hardly ever closed and there are no charlie and the chocolate factory glass elevators...

for buildings in space, i was wondering what happens when the shell closes in? those parts that are out in space would be crushed when the shell is down...

ok, say there is a certain gap allowance for those stations up there, but it certainly didn't looked like there's enough space for those City 7 skyscrapers when the dome shell closes... unless these building sink down as well when the shell closes...

Edited by Shun

ok, say there is a certain gap allowance for those stations up there, but it certainly didn't looked like there's enough space for those City 7 skyscrapers when the dome shell closes... unless these building sink down as well when the shell closes...

I would assume the shell was constructed with those protrusions in mind :ph34r:

Thanks for clarifying.

Look closely, and one can see places where the armoured dome has been built to incorporate the buildings. Refer to the following image, specifically the structures on the mid point of the dome. It matches where those buildings are.

macross7.jpg

There's a better color picture found on this fan site I know that's probably better for looking at those specific details :)

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macross7/newmacross/city7.gif

Also, there's a rear shot that shows the center peak of the shell lines up with the tallest building above the dome.

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macross7/newma...cross7-rear.gif

post-114-1217090666_thumb.gif

post-114-1217090706_thumb.gif

Edited by Mr March

They're actually just inside the dome. We saw the interior of one of the stations in episode 5, when Alto and Sheryl look through the telescopes at the ground below (and Alto just happens to see Ranka and Michael boarding another tube at the ground level). The tubes themselves (with their attachments to the inside surface of the dome) were shown in the scene just before that (roughly 10:15). Every now and then a sky shot will show a tube with a gleaming spot in it that's presumeably the transport inside that tube.

Also, there was that restaurant that Alto and his "brother" went to in Ep 11. That did kinda have the glass elevator thing going. Damn, that would freak me the hell out.

As far as ship sizes go, while things certainly have gotten larger over the past 50 years, if Bilrer and LAI succeed in using fold quartz to connect the galaxy, colony fleets and gargantuan ships like the M25 will be meaningless. I think that's kinda sad...

Ok this has been bugging me but is it just me or does the Frontier fleet with all those islands hooked on one another seem like it would cause problems during things like course corrections. I can't even start to think of the mass involved with something like that. Also I was thinking about what would be the ideal atmospheric pressure. Would too much, i.e. sea level, make the air rush out faster in the event of a hull breach, would too little decompress the island just as fast.

On a different note, after having seen more of the 27s, I am not seeing too much open space for the mounting of fast packs. I would say that it could mount leg and arm packs but not anything like wing packs of the 25 or the dorsal packs of most other VFs, unless it was a single pack on the center line like the VF-5000. And that may not be a design defect, the 27 with the wing mounted engine, cannon and missile launcher nacelles could be the first attempt at an integrated fast pack VF design.

And on the subject of fast packs, looking at super and armor packs of the VF-25s it seems to me that one could mix and match parts from each to create the loadout needed for the mission at hand. Something along the lines of a 25 with the super packs, but with the leg packs of the armor pack to up the missile load. Can you think of all the kit bashing possibility when the toys come out.

Hiya, y'all... On the topic of the vf-25's, I was wondering if I can enlist some help out there....

I'm trying to model the 25 in 3D, including the separate parts for transformations....Just wanted to animate one of these puppies.

Does anyone out there have any pic's showing the rear underside of the 25? I can't seem to find anything out there, and there's are two mysteries to the tranformation -

1 - Where does the "cod" pod come from? This is the "groin" piece that the hip/air intake pieces are joined to.... where and how does this piece fit in when in fighter mode...

2 - In the fighter mode - there's an end piece in between the engine nacelles. This piece disappears once the legs come down for the gerwalk or battroid modes. Where the hell does this piece go?

I'm just starting with the research, and am moving forward with the modeling of the rest of the pieces. Any help on these would be great! (like if someone snagged a copy of Kawamori-san's notebook and scanned it....)

Thanks in advance!

I think that the best images of the VF-25 for what you want to do would be this line art that posted a while back. As for the part you are asking about, if you look on the lower left Gerwalk image it is the part just ahead of where the arms start (at least thats what I think) hope this helps.

Sulendil Ang beat me to it - I type too slow - oh wait its a different image.

post-8467-1217142418_thumb.jpg

Edited by hobbes221

I'm not too sure about the line art you posted is real not, hobbes, because someone did mention that it looked like a fanmade picture.

But yeah, that's the only two pictures that we got now.

I think that the line art was pulled from a magazine by someone on the forums but I can't remember but I just remembered about this one as well (and it is fan made but still good) and don't forget to post what ever you get done here I'm sure that we would all like to see and good luck.

And about that end piece you were asking about, if it is the very last part of airframe then that would be the shield that is mounted on the left arm.

post-8467-1217143101_thumb.jpg

Edited by hobbes221