Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread II *Read 1st Post*

Not a huge issue for a fighter designed for space flight... B))

It's still not a very good precedent to set and I'm sure the air boss wont be too impressed.

Besides, if it's a VF-0, then chances are the front intake covers will be open drenching that engine.

Been through some discussions and pouring over footage from Macross Frontier to come up with a reasonably accurate missile count for the VF-25S Messiah Full Armor. There are inconsistencies between episode 2 and episode 7, but I've gone with episode 7 simply because the Full Armor variant was presented clearly and uniformly in the big attack sequence by Ozuma.

VF-25S Full Armor Chest and Shoulder Launchers

VF-25S Full Armor Leg Launchers

VF-25S Full Armor Fighter Mode, showing outboard launchers

16 x micro-missiles per leg launcher (with two launchers per leg)

20 x micro-missiles per chest launcher (total of two launchers in the chest)

40 x micro-missiles per shoulder launcher (one launcher per shoulder)

15 x micro-missiles per outboard hatchless launcher (one per wing)

64 x micro-missiles in total for the legs

40 x micro-missiles in the chest

80 x micro-missiles in the shoulders

30 x micro-missiles on the outer wing sections

Total VF-25S Full Armor Missile Count = 214 micro-missiles, full load.

That's definitely a new record for a Macross valkyrie. Previous valkyries had the following missile counts:

VF-0 Phoenix Full Armor = 50 missiles + 6 grenades.

VF-1J GBP-1S Armored Valkyrie = 56 missiles + 18 armor-penetrating projectiles + 6 grenades.

VF-11C Thunderbolt Protect Armor = 84 missiles

Been through some discussions and pouring over footage from Macross Frontier to come up with a reasonably accurate missile count for the VF-25S Messiah Full Armor. There are inconsistencies between episode 2 and episode 7, but I've gone with episode 7 simply because the Full Armor variant was presented clearly and uniformly in the big attack sequence by Ozuma.

That's definitely a new record for a Macross valkyrie. Previous valkyries had the following missile counts:

VF-1J GBP-1S Armored Valkyrie = 56 missiles + 18 armor-penetrating projectiles + 6 grenades.

Holy cr@p, that's one frigging big Itano Circus :blink:

Holy cr@p, that's one frigging big Itano Circus :blink:

It almost seems like a waste of ammo to fire them all at once. In space there is nothing stopping him from keeping the covers open and then firing successive salvos at various targets. You know the whole "Death Blossom" maneuver... :p

Quick note to MarchusMaximux.

I was browsing the MMM and noticed that the Full Barrier system would explode when overloaded.

IIRC, by 2045 the system would just shut down if overloaded. I would have to double check, but I believe that ep 49 of M7, showed the Full Barrier of the City 7 beginning to fail as opposed to exploding like it did in SDFM.

Just something that may need to be looked into.

Edited by Zinjo

Ah I never noticed those outboard missile launchers on the wings, good catch. Looks like our count without the wing missiles at 184 or so remains correct as far as it seems, good to see those screen shots I got you were helpful.

Zinwobbly

It depends on the combat conditions. In Macross Frontier, it appears Ozuma used his full missile load to it's utmost advantage with a total ordnance launch. In Macross 7, Kinryu's VF-11 Protect Armor launch devastated an entire squad of Varauta. On the other hand some examples like like Hikaru's VF-1J Armored Valkyrie fight or Roy's VF-0S Reactive Armor Valkyrie launch weren't all that effective despite their impressive fireworks :)

I just watched episode 49 over again and City 7 isn't shown with a barrier. Mylene in her VF-11MAXL Custom Sound Booster is shown creating a sound energy shield around City 7, but that's all. There is dialog in the early part of episode 49 that mentions the decreasing power of the pin-point barriers on the Battle 7, but no mention of the Full Barrier.

I pretty much have to stick to what is shown in the anime until some example changes it. I'd like to believe that when the newer Full Barrier systems yield they don't lead to a catastrophic overload. But until a Macross anime features a scene to the contrary, we have to assume the two instances of the barrier overload from SDF Macross are still indicative of the Full Barrier system. Just to note, perhaps the danger of the Full Barrier system is why we never see it in operation.

Master Dex

They were indeed very useful. I'd initially forgotten about the outboard launchers as well, but it looks like we've reached a final count. Impressive to say the least.

So is that a full barrier we see deployed in episode 7 of Macross Frontier? When that vajra gunship blasts a large asteroid and the Macross Quarter comes flying through the debris enveloped by some kind of energy barrier.

:o

Total VF-25S Full Armor Missile Count = 214 micro-missiles, full load. :ph34r:

That's definitely one huge load out for the VF-25. ^_^ An Itano Circus of Orgasmic Proportions. :p

BTW, in comparison how much missiles do the Super Pack have? :D

Edited by grss1982

Sumdumgai

It looked like some kind of barrier. It didn't show very much, so it's hard to say. It could have been a pin-point barrier, but using a large sheath that covered the whole bridge rather than just a portion or it could have been a hull hugging Full Barrier. Hard to say.

grss1982

Hehhee, I'm afraid a Super pack count isn't gonna be that easy. Too many internal launchers. I eagerly await statistics :)

You sure those are missile launchers? My eyes are telling me that those are frickin fridges stuffed with beers :ph34r:

VF-25s FA is sure pack some firepower there, including those beam cannons. What about those two tubes sticking under the shoulder armor in fighter mode? Are those launchers or another beam cannon?

:o

Total VF-25S Full Armor Missile Count = 214 micro-missiles, full load. :ph34r:

That's definitely one huge load out for the VF-25. ^_^ An Itano Circus of Orgasmic Proportions. :p

BTW, in comparison how much missiles do the Super Pack have? :D

Hmm, using March's figures and taking out what the super pack doesn't have.

giving us at the very least

Meaning the Super Pack gives it more missiles than a VF-0 or VF-1 in full armor and possibly even more missiles than a VF-11 in Protect Armor considering that there may be more missiles stored elsewhere.

Edited by d3v

You sure those are missile launchers? My eyes are telling me that those are frickin fridges stuffed with beers :ph34r:

VF-25s FA is sure pack some firepower there, including those beam cannons. What about those two tubes sticking under the shoulder armor in fighter mode? Are those launchers or another beam cannon?

You mean the ones encircled, right?

t1796549_vf25sfullarmorfighter.png

http://i31.tinypic.com/2928ies.png

IMHO, they look like the exit ports for the wing root guns/lasers, I guess. Maybe Graham can shed more light on them. ;)

d3v

Hey, that's pretty good deduction. Not bad at all. Now if we can only learn how many missiles are inside the outboard boosters, we'd be set for a missile count on the VF-25 Super.

Regarding Ozuma's load (*evil grin*), I only counted 10 missiles launched from each leg launcher. It's possible more could have been launched offscreen, but if not, that would still leave 22 missiles remaining per leg.

Morpheus

I'm not sure. I don't think we've been privy to seeing those particular guns in action as yet. I made up a highlighted version of the VF-25S Full Armor that shows even more weapons (note the under arm lauchers, which I believe someone here already mentioned a couple posts back):

vf-25-fullarmor-battroid-highlight.jpg

I'd like to get a breakdown of all those guns and missiles :)

Makes me wonder if the new gunpod is simply a return to the 55mm shells the GU-11 used.

The gun is far more powerful than previous series and we know that they lowered the caliber in subsequent gunpods after SW-1...

Makes me wonder if the new gunpod is simply a return to the 55mm shells the GU-11 used.

The gun is far more powerful than previous series and we know that they lowered the caliber in subsequent gunpods after SW-1...

Hmm, possible, however one visual clue we could use is the size of the gunpod. The GU-11 was limited to three barrels by the size of the the rounds. I'm more inclined to think that it's in the 35mm range similar to the GU-9. Although we'll need to compare both guns, or wait for official specs.

Off course, we may never know as I don't think they ever released specs for round size for later the VF-17 onwards (though I'm inclined to think that those are 30mm similar to the VF-11 since I figure they'd have them standardized).

Edited by d3v

I think the new VF-25 Messiah gun pod is likely a 30 mm, but it could very well be 35mm or even a 25 mm. It definitely appears to be a smaller gun (diameter) than the old GU-11 gun pod. Gun pod caliburs are somewhat scarce in Macross. We only know the following:

VF-0 Phoenix

GPU-9 35mm gun pod (with 550 rounds).

SV-51

Gsh-371 55mm gun pod (with 120 rounds)

VF-1 Valkyrie

GU-11 55mm gun pod (with 200 rounds)

VA-3 Invader

GA-22 60mm multi-purpose gatling gun pod (capacity unknown)

VF-11 Thunderbolt

standard 30mm 6-barrel gun pod (large barrel magazine, capacity unknown)

As d3v has said, that's pretty much all we know. The gun pod caliburs for the VF-3000 Star Mirage, VF-5000 Crusader, YF-19/VF-19Excalibur, the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II, the VF-17 Nightmare and currently the VF-25 Messiah are all unknown. We also don't know the caliburs of any of the specialty gun pods, like the XS-06 long-range high-piercing-round gun pod for the VF-11C Protect Armor or the sniper rifle for the VF-25G Messiah.

I think the firepower of the gun pods is most likely driven by muzzle velocity and shell technology. As time goes forward, the Valkyries become better armored and the more powerful engines means more power for the Energy Converting Armor. And as has been noted already, the standard mass produced gun pod has become smaller, yet more devastating as time goes on. In Macross Frontier, the dialog specifically mentions Anti-ESS Shells that are loaded to increase the penetrating power against the heavily armored Vajra units.

I think the new VF-25 Messiah gun pod is likely a 30 mm, but it could very well be 35mm or even a 25 mm. It definitely appears to be a smaller gun (diameter) than the old GU-11 gun pod. Gun pod caliburs are somewhat scarce in Macross. We only know the following:

VF-0 Phoenix

GPU-9 35mm gun pod (with 550 rounds).

SV-51

Gsh-371 55mm gun pod (with 120 rounds)

VF-1 Valkyrie

GU-11 55mm gun pod (with 200 rounds)

VA-3 Invader

GA-22 60mm multi-purpose gatling gun pod (capacity unknown)

VF-11 Thunderbolt

standard 30mm 6-barrel gun pod (large barrel magazine, capacity unknown)

As d3v has said, that's pretty much all we know. The gun pod caliburs for the VF-3000 Star Mirage, VF-5000 Crusader, YF-19/VF-19Excalibur, the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II, the VF-17 Nightmare and currently the VF-25 Messiah are all unknown. We also don't know the caliburs of any of the specialty gun pods, like the XS-06 long-range high-piercing-round gun pod for the VF-11C Protect Armor or the sniper rifle for the VF-25G Messiah.

I think the firepower of the gun pods is most likely driven by muzzle velocity and shell technology. As time goes forward, the Valkyries become better armored and the more powerful engines means more power for the Energy Converting Armor. And as has been noted already, the standard mass produced gun pod has become smaller, yet more devastating as time goes on. In Macross Frontier, the dialog specifically mentions Anti-ESS Shells that are loaded to increase the penetrating power against the heavily armored Vajra units.

Well I get the impression that the new gunpod has a magazine and we'd have to compare the gunpod sizes as well. The VF-1 is probably one of the smallest VF's produced, thus it's gunpod size (in relation to its battroid) may be deceptively large in comparison to the Messiah's gunpod.

We might be able to extrapolate the gunpod's sizes in relation to their known battroid's heights...

I won't discount a 35mm shell, but it's ability to tear up targets reminds me of the firepower of GU-11...

Edited by Zinjo

I want a bigger picture of what Morpheus posted, some of that is line art I've seen before but some like the one of the leg looks new to me.

Something before I go to bed....

1r3pz8.jpg

We just gotta have a bigger picture of that one. :D

Looking at the picture Mr. March provided (http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneous/vf-25-fullarmor-battroid-highlight.jpg) does anybody think that instead of extra armor for the shield wouldn't it have been more awesome if they installed a modified version of the YF-19's heavy weapons module seen in Mac + (Movie Version)? :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

Looking at the picture Mr. March provided (http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneous/vf-25-fullarmor-battroid-highlight.jpg) does anybody think that instead of extra armor for the shield wouldn't it have been more awesome if they installed a modified version of the YF-19's heavy weapons module seen in Mac + (Movie Version)? :ph34r:

I was about to say something to the tune of people not being satisfied with all the weaponry the full armor 25 already has, then a part of my brain scolded me saying that one can never have too many guns.

I was about to say something to the tune of people not being satisfied with all the weaponry the full armor 25 already has, then a part of my brain scolded me saying that one can never have too many guns.

You can never have too many guns with all those Red Lobsters lurking in space. :ph34r:

Anyways, I just realized after editing this pic http://i31.tinypic.com/2928ies.png that the wings and the vertical stabilizer of the VF-25 are also encased in armour. :blink: So does that mean that the VF-25 with Armor Pack relies heavily on verniers for manuverability? :huh:

You can never have too many guns with all those Red Lobsters lurking in space. :ph34r:

Anyways, I just realized after editing this pic http://i31.tinypic.com/2928ies.png that the wings and the vertical stabilizer of the VF-25 are also encased in armour. :blink: So does that mean that the VF-25 with Armor Pack relies heavily on verniers for manuverability? :huh:

Yes, probably also means that the Full Armor's fighter mode can't be used planetside.

Actually, I'm kinda hoping for a planetside super pack, like what they had for the VF-11.

Edited by d3v

At the end of episode 6, they stated the Valkyries were being loaded with Anti-Vajra E.S.A. munitions (Electronic Safe and Arm) for use against the Vajra. These shells would obviously be designed to help improve penetration against the heavy Vajra armor. Not sure if they are totally effective, but they likely help.

Edited by Mr March

At the end of episode 6, they stated the Valkyries were being loaded with Anti-Vajra E.S.A. munitions (Electronic Safe and Arm) for use against the Vajra. These shells would obviously be designed to help improve penetration against the heavy Vajra armor. Not sure if they are totally effective, but they likely help.

Wasn't that anti-ECA (Energy Conversion Armor)???? :huh:

Which makes a lot of sense, considering how only a couple of episodes earlier, Leon disclosed that Varja had ECA, just like Valks.

Ohh okay, that makes sense now. Thank you!

Wasn't that anti-ECA (Energy Conversion Armor)???? :huh:

Which makes a lot of sense, considering how only a couple of episodes earlier, Leon disclosed that Varja had ECA, just like Valks.

Nay, after watching that episode for several times from different sub, I can tell you that it's E.S.A, not ECA.

Besides, just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's official. :)