Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread II *Read 1st Post*

On the one hand, yes it's simple. On the other hand, you may have to learn how to focus your eyes properly (i.e. so you don't get distracted by another nearby target), and recognize just how long to focus in order to lock the target without spending any more time than is absolutely necessary.

So yeah, on the surface it's easy. On the other hand, so far we've only seen two people do it - Ozma and Roy. So there might be complications that aren't readily apparent.

Issues like that should be taken care of in training, you don't send a pilot out to combat hoping that he eventually learns to use something. I figure being able to use such a system, even at a basic level is a requirment of taking a valk out to battle.

It shouldn't take that much practice since all the pilot has to do is look at something, something our eyes do naturally. It's as simple as say looking out the window and looking at every car in the parking lot. The only majr thing experience would bring would be the speed of which Ozma and Roy can do it.

Not so simple. Imagine a swarm of bees attacking you and you can shoot them all down but only if you look at each one individually. You're bound to miss a few hundred in the process. :lol:

Since the human eyes is generally 90 degrees stereoscopic vision, it would be better to assume to target the swarm of bees directly in your field of vision, and when you move your eyes up/down/left/right you increase the firing arc slightly a few degrees.

But again i don't buy the eye targeting. It works when Ozma and Michel uses the eye sensor to zoom in to Alto/Ranka in episode 2, but to target multiple targets....it should be as easy as point, lock, fire, forget.

Finally saw episode 10 today and I would like to congratulate Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. for their very long lasting Sikorsky SH-60/MH-60 Seahawk, which is still used in the year 2059, which is 80 years since its 1979 introduction. :ph34r:

But seriously with the advent of those thermonuclear engines used by the VFs is it still really necessary to have rotary wing aircraft, especially in Frontier.

I mean where are the ISSCVs? :blink:

t1779192_isscv.gif

Or better yet, T3H Marine Dropship from Aliens!!! :ph34r:

dropshipphotoac9.jpg

Edited by grss1982

Finally saw episode 10 today and I would like to congratulate Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. for their very long lasting Sikorsky SH-60/MH-60 Seahawk, which is still used in the year 2059, which is 80 years since its 1979 introduction. :ph34r:

But seriously with the advent of those thermonuclear engines used by the VFs is it still really necessary to have rotary wing aircraft, especially in Frontier.

Perhaps that version of the Seahawk has been fitted with small thermonuclear engines?

Perhaps that version of the Seahawk has been fitted with small thermonuclear engines?

Makes sense to me. Nuclear electric motors to turn the rotors would give them unlimited flight time and the Seahawk was a reproduction of the original. Hard to say what rotory craft it was initially based on.

Is it necessary or efficient anymore? Probably not since they could get the same results from a wing mounted turbofan aircraft or many other variations on VTOL aircraft using nuclear powered electric motors.

Makes sense to me. Nuclear electric motors to turn the rotors would give them unlimited flight time and the Seahawk was a reproduction of the original. Hard to say what rotory craft it was initially based on.

Is it necessary or efficient anymore? Probably not since they could get the same results from a wing mounted turbofan aircraft or many other variations on VTOL aircraft using nuclear powered electric motors.

However, the Seahawk, and helicopters themselves are relatively simpler and more rugged compared to a VTOL type aircraft, especially in cases where you don't really need the speed of a VTOL

Edited by d3v

I figure being able to use such a system, even at a basic level is a requirment of taking a valk out to battle.

I think the key word there is "basic". I'm not saying that Alto can't use it. Rather, I suspect that his useage of it would be rather clumsy in comparison with Ozma's.

In-universe explanation:

It was a movie prop which conveniently could be used as transportation as well. Probably from Grand General Maximilian Jenius' personal collection.

Real world explanation:

Such a nice CG model of a helicopter from Mac Zero gone to waste due to few seconds screentime? REUSE! RECYCLE!

However, the Seahawk, and helicopters themselves are relatively simpler and more rugged compared to a VTOL type aircraft, especially in cases where you don't really need the speed of a VTOL

True and VTOL aircraft are relatively simpler compared to let's say a variable fighter.... ^_^

Keep in mind as well that an Osprey is not the only conception of a utility VTOL aircraft, it is only the first one actually built. There have been dozens of various designs over the years. I know, I've seen them all.

In-universe explanation:

It was a movie prop which conveniently could be used as transportation as well. Probably from Grand General Maximilian Jenius' personal collection.

Yeah! I bet the skull 001 is also in his collection!!! B))

True and VTOL aircraft are relatively simpler compared to let's say a variable fighter.... ^_^

Keep in mind as well that an Osprey is not the only conception of a utility VTOL aircraft, it is only the first one actually built. There have been dozens of various designs over the years. I know, I've seen them all.

Yeah, there have been many, including a few weird ones. However, unless you really need to move at airspeeds higher than that possible with a rotary wing craft, you really don't need a VTOL.

Besides, as was previously pointed out, it's a prop that actually works, why not use it.

EDIT:

I just realized that this is the second really old (by 2059) vehicle that we've seen in the series, the first being Ozma's Lancia Delta HF Integrale (Ozma also has a poster of it hanging in their living room).

Edited by d3v

Yeah, there have been many, including a few weird ones. However, unless you really need to move at airspeeds higher than that possible with a rotary wing craft, you really don't need a VTOL.

Besides, as was previously pointed out, it's a prop that actually works, why not use it.

EDIT:

I just realized that this is the second really old (by 2059) vehicle that we've seen in the series, the first being Ozma's Lancia Delta HF Integrale (Ozma also has a poster of it hanging in their living room).

But the Lancia is soooo sweet!

EDIT:

Actually I like the idea personally.

With engines that are probably OTEC based, you have vehicles with no mileage limitations, so the resurrection of classic cars would probably become rampant at that time. Hell Sheryl's limo was a stretched Mercedes...

BTW, just curious aren't gunpods fatal to nearby personnel when they suffer a catastrophic hit? Like what happened to Luca's GP in episode 7. Shouldn't laser fire from Brera's GP at least triggered a "cook off" for Luca's GP and in turn the resulting explosion should have killed both Alto-Hime and Luca? Plot Armor, perhaps?

Actually I like the idea personally.

With engines that are probably OTEC based, you have vehicles with no mileage limitations, so the resurrection of classic cars would probably become rampant at that time. Hell Sheryl's limo was a stretched Mercedes...

Hmm, I'm now gonna have to figure out exactly what model Mercedes that is.

BTW, just curious aren't gunpods fatal to nearby personnel when they suffer a catastrophic hit? Like what happened to Luca's GP in episode 7. Shouldn't laser fire from Brera's GP at least triggered a "cook off" for Luca's GP and in turn the resulting explosion should have killed both Alto-Hime and Luca? Plot Armor, perhaps?

Depends if the rounds are chemical based or if the gunpod is a railgun of sorts, which would carry inert slugs.

Massive mechanic update on the official website and Macross Compendium.

- Macross Quarter

- Konig monster

- VF-27

- Destroid

- Ghost

-etc

:lol:

concept for the VF-25 fast pack? It does have a huge GU weapon pod like the VF-27 so i could possibly be a idea for a upgrade we might see later on in the season.

You never know, it might end up being in the series, we'll just have to wait and see.

concept for the VF-25 fast pack? It does have a huge GU weapon pod like the VF-27 so i could possibly be a idea for a upgrade we might see later on in the season.

It seems to be a (beautiful!) pre-production sketch made by Kawamori. I wonder if the S.M.S. VF-25 will be equipped later with a BF Beam Gun, since beam weapons seem more effective against the Vajra...

Man... Need... Macross... Frontier... Fix... :ph34r:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Looks like concept art for the full armor that Ozma uses. Although he doesn't appear to have a super gunpod like the VF-11 Protect Armor came with, or like in this possible concept art.

Isn't that just the Armored Pack? :blink: I mean its kinda huge for a Super Pack, plus IIRC the Super Pack doesn't provide the kind of armor protection. Check out the legs on the VF in the pic Morpheus provided. That's definitely not standard on a Super Pack, its more standard in the Armored Pack. B))

Agreed, I think it was an early concept for the armored pack, but the large gun idea was dropped, or maybe we will eventually see it as an add on to the armor pack. By the colors maybe they also plan to give Alto the option of an armored pack instead of just Super.

Agreed, I think it was an early concept for the armored pack, but the large gun idea was dropped, or maybe we will eventually see it as an add on to the armor pack. By the colors maybe they also plan to give Alto the option of an armored pack instead of just Super.

Not just the colours, that looks like a VF-25S head, makes you wonder if Alto will get the same promotion as Hikaru did, for the same reasons (pineapple salad).

I kind of hope Ozma doesn't die though, it just seems that it would be pushing the homage envelope a bit. I know this series is already different and I like the homages thus far but I don't want it to go the same way the first show did. Have some things be different. Perhaps Alto is for some reason upgraded to the S unit (hence why it has an armor pack, it seems designed for the S unit) but not just because Ozma might have died.

However I am open to the idea (and I suppose this should/could go in the plot theories thread) of perhaps Ozma getting injured enough that he can't fly anymore, but he still lives, that could add a lot to character development as he would feel he is no longer able to protect the people he cares about and he has to get through this personal crisis (I think I will post this in the theory thread).

I kind of hope Ozma doesn't die though, it just seems that it would be pushing the homage envelope a bit. I know this series is already different and I like the homages thus far but I don't want it to go the same way the first show did. Have some things be different. Perhaps Alto is for some reason upgraded to the S unit (hence why it has an armor pack, it seems designed for the S unit) but not just because Ozma might have died.

However I am open to the idea (and I suppose this should/could go in the plot theories thread) of perhaps Ozma getting injured enough that he can't fly anymore, but he still lives, that could add a lot to character development as he would feel he is no longer able to protect the people he cares about and he has to get through this personal crisis (I think I will post this in the theory thread).

And because of that injury, Ozma spends his free time assembling his Fire Bomber tribute band.

There you go, we even have that. However he would have to be careful, Fire Bomber music may make him try to fly again but instead use guitar controls thus worsening his injury since he shouldn't fly and also the guitar controls will just cause him pain because of the pointlessness of it all.

Hmmm, looking at the current pics of the mecha on the website, it seems as it the Destroid is heavily based off the Cheyenne, but it also seems to be modular. The one on the website looks real plain. I wonder what other armaments it will have.

The one on the site that they just added is the firefighter Destroid, I don't think they've put any info on Quarter Pounder's Ground Pounders.

Anybody else think that the fighter mode profile of the VF-27 looks really weird with no tailwings?

Taksraven

Nope, it's got a similar enough profile to the VF-4 and VF-14 to not bother me. Besides, most VFs have lacked proper working rear control surfaces anyway ever since the VF-1; verniers, canards and thrust vectoring (27 can do three dimensional vectoring, like the VF-22) should cover the job of those surfaces.

Edited by d3v