Bandai 1/55 VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1A Max, with fast packs

CF18

Hey for some reason I get the hint Bandai is taking over development of Toynami's 1/100 line and introducing HCMpro valkyries with it. Think about it, similar price and scale.....and its been how long since we've heard the FAST packs would be out, or any news about them?

If that happens I will seriously...hell, I'll say it. I'll cream my undies.

I'll be in big trouble if Bandai announces that they'll do the 1/100's...and then immediately announces a Super-O or Elint! :ph34r:

Anyway, I've always wanted a Bandai-quality, line art faithful 1/100 VF-1. Probably my most dreamed of toy ever.

Yeah but see Matchbox/HG tried to bring over the valkyries here 20 years ago, but Hasbro got in their way.
Yeah, I know, and I'm not blaming HG. I'm just sayin', it's a shame. My 10 year old inner child still hurts from not having a 1/55 Valkyrie. Edited by danth

Preorders are up at HLJ for 8550 yen (reg 9000 yen)

Good news that these are coming to the US though. Maybe finally all companies involved realized that the Macross pie isn't big enough to fight over and that they'd make more money working together.

hope they can sell the valkyries at your favorite toys r us and walmart stores

Now would'n that be AWESOME!!! Can you imagine how quickly they would go at your local TRU?!? I'm not sure how many Macross/Robotech fans there are in/around my city but I know that I would be buyin up as many as I could.

:ph34r:

They didnt fly off the shelf when they were originally sold as Robotech. The only way people would buy it up would be to make them exclusives and let the scalpers and speculators at 'em. But that didn't happen with the MPCs either so...

They didnt fly off the shelf when they were originally sold as Robotech. The only way people would buy it up would be to make them exclusives and let the scalpers and speculators at 'em. But that didn't happen with the MPCs either so...

Well yeah but that's only cause I wasn't a huge fan then. :D

I'd like to get excited about this, but I just can't, for various reasons.

1) This is happening 20 years too late. It's great that it's finally happening, but it's kinda sad that it's happening only now, when

I would argue more like 6 or 7 since that was when the Bandai rereleases were first done. It was still the time that the old 1/55th's were still going for an arm and a leg on eBay. But regardless, I'm happy this is finally becoming a reality. :)

2) Yamato is releasing a much nicer toy at the same time at almost the same price. I'd pay $100 in a heartbeat for a naked Yamato 1/60 perfect-variable VF-1, and $120 for the new VF-1 with fast packs is also very reasonable in my opinion. But

There are a lot of us Macross toy collecting diehards who will always love the 1/55th. Not only was this a great looking transforming toy for its day (still is), it was also very rugged and durable. Sadly Yamato has had QC issues with their stuff and their stuff is not as rugged or durable as the old 1/55th.

I really hope and pray that Yamato's Macross toys will be able to hit the states too at better prices. I pretty much gave up on Yamato's stuff a year or so ago because I am having a hard time justifying paying in excess of $100 or $200 or hunks of plastic that are going to sit in a box or tote container for the next few years until I have space to display them. I ended up canceling out on getting the 1/60th YF-21 because it was just too expensive for me to justify. $150 or so to get the new 1/60th Strike VF-1S is also now getting to be way to rich for my tastes.

3) Bandai expects me to pay $90 for a 20 year old toy that's already been completely milked and looks, frankly, pretty ugly nowadays. I'd be happy to pay about $45 for it, but they raised the price instead, didn't they? I swear these were cheaper last time.

Before shipping, it looks like the Super VF-1's will be selling under $90. I need to jog my memory, but I think I payed a little more then this in 2002 dollars. Adjusted for anflation and everything this still comes out to be a better deal.

4) And we all know damn well that HG does not seriously intend to release any rare variants. That's up to Bandai, not HG, and the molds were scrapped anyway (so I've heard). The worst part is, HG knows this, and they are lying through their teeth. They know they'll never release the Elint or Super-O, and they know they're lying just to sell the few variants that Bandai will be releasing.

I know this post is not exactly a ray of sunshine, but let's not get our hopes up and believe HG's dishonest hype.

This fan boy, conspiracy nut job stuff has got to end. Why would they post that information unless they are truly serious in persuing it? The original molds for the Elint Seeker and Super Ostrich may be gone, but using samples of the original toys along with modern CAD/CAM, this shouldn't be a huge problem.

My contact at Toynamic indicated the only CHANGE with the packaging is that it will have a Toynami logo on the box. Other than that, that's all that is expected. I guess we'll see....

One thing I am curious about is that orignally Toycom was willing to pay both royalties to Big West and HG to release the Macross Plus Valkyries. Assuming these 1/55s will outsourced for production through Bandai, I'm wondering if royalties are now being paid out to both BW and HG....

Back in the day with the Macross Plus toys, BW dismissed the idea of having royalties paid to HG for the Valkyries to hit stateside....Did they bow down to the almighty dollar now???

Either way, it's all good news for fans...I can't complain...

-Kevin

If you see George, pick his brain and see if you can find out how this all came down. :)

This fan boy, conspiracy nut job stuff has got to end. Why would they post that information unless they are truly serious in persuing it? The original molds for the Elint Seeker and Super Ostrich may be gone, but using samples of the original toys along with modern CAD/CAM, this shouldn't be a huge problem.

Wow...I'm actually quite shocked that anyone would believe Toynami anymore. Where's the Beta we were promised, or the 1/100 fast packs, or the Cyclone? Perpetual pergatory, that's where. That Beta on display at all the cons is there for one reason only: to sell the Alphas/Legioss that they still have in stock.

After all their empty promises, HG actually has the nuts to claim they will be releasing ALL the rare 1/55 variants, which could only mean the Super-O and Elint, and people actually believe it? And if I don't believe it, if I look at Toynami's track record, and realize that a business exists to make money and HG's talk about "rare variants" is marketing only, I'm a conspiracy theorist nutjob?

People have to realize that they can't believe everything a business tells them.

If you look at history (the 1/55's and the Yamatos), the two-seaters are among the last toys released...IF they are ever released. That means that all the other toys in the series have to sell pretty well first. So, IF that happens, and IF Bandai wants to risk producing the lesser known, less popular two-seaters (casual fans want the ones with guns), then they will look to see IF the moulds can be found or even still exist (moulds are regularly lost or broken) OR IF they want to pay for new moulds. I think those are all big ifs and I'm just too jaded and cynical to believe it will happen.

I could be wrong, but I think my viewpoint is perfectly valid. Instead of calling someone a conspiracy theorist nutjob, you might as well say, "Not believing the official statements of a business or government makes you a bad or undesirable person." That's really what it means.

EDIT: I still love Apollo Leader as a brother in arms and fellow Spartan! (You still playing Halo 3 online?)

Edited by danth

I think Danth has ample ground to stand on here. Toynami seems more in the business of misinformation than they do selling toys. They've produced more Vaporware in the last few years than actual toys. The only sliver of hope of this being true is completely dependent on Bandai and this being Bandai's goal.

The only sliver of hope of this being true is completely dependent on Bandai and this being Bandai's goal.

That's the key. Toynami's not on the hook to produce anything, just distribute what Bandai pumps out for them. I have no great love for toynami but if they can get me 1/55s cheaper then more power to 'em.

Lot of Ostriches and Elints popping up on ebay lately, I suspect some advance warning leaked out somewhere and some folks have decided to cash out to recoup some of their purchase price and pick up a reissue later.

Also, they had to make new molds for the 2001/2002 reissues, look at the upgrades - new heatshield attachment method, forearms resculpted. All they gotta do is the new heads, cockpit insert, wings and fastpacks for the Elint and SuperO. Not too bad IMO. Wonder if they'll leave the noses pointy or blunt them?

Anyway, I doubt they'd tease the 'exotic variants' if Bandai hadn't indicated as much. You don't think Bandai had to sign off on this press release? I'd say they must have.

Wow...I'm actually quite shocked that anyone would believe Toynami anymore. Where's the Beta we were promised, or the 1/100 fast packs, or the Cyclone? Perpetual pergatory, that's where. That Beta on display at all the cons is there for one reason only: to sell the Alphas/Legioss that they still have in stock.

Yea but see with these toys, Bandai is making them not Toynami. All Toynami has to do is distribute them here. Now if they were making them,....

Yea but see with these toys, Bandai is making them not Toynami. All Toynami has to do is distribute them here. Now if they were making them,....
Right, but I'm just saying that HG will say anything to sell their toys. If Bandai announces a Super Ostrich or Elintseeker, then I'll believe it.

Pre-orders for the Beta is being offered by retailers, and pictures were shown at NYCC of a test shot, produced from the actual molds. You may have missed those things.
After all their empty promises, HG actually has the nuts to claim they will be releasing ALL the rare 1/55 variants, which could only mean the Super-O and Elint, and people actually believe it? And if I don't believe it, if I look at Toynami's track record, and realize that a business exists to make money and HG's talk about "rare variants" is marketing only, I'm a conspiracy theorist nutjob?
First of all, Harmony Gold is the company that makes Robotech. Toynami is a toy company that makes Robotech toys. Harmony Gold is not making these toys.

Secondly, the statement about releasing the rare and exotic variants said that this was something they planned on doing. It wasn't a promise. It wasn't written in stone. As we all know, plans change.

I think you're misstating and overstating things that weren't actually said.

I could be wrong, but I think my viewpoint is perfectly valid. Instead of calling someone a conspiracy theorist nutjob, you might as well say, "Not believing the official statements of a business or government makes you a bad or undesirable person." That's really what it means.
Personally, I just choose to call you a silly goose. Honk, honk.

So are you buying any of the reissues?

The only thing that concerns me is how much more expensive the 1/55 resissues are , especially considering Yamato is releasing so many new items that are much nicer. The pricepoint for the chunkies just is not appealing at all to me as a Macross collector and I doubt it will entice the average toy collector either.

The only thing that concerns me is how much more expensive the 1/55 resissues are , especially considering Yamato is releasing so many new items that are much nicer. The pricepoint for the chunkies just is not appealing at all to me as a Macross collector and I doubt it will entice the average toy collector either.

The price isn't bad for the Supers....but the standard valks......that price is REDICULOUS! I am hoping that the "exotic" valks. won't be to crazy in price. I would kill for a Super O. I really would.

How many other 9" tall fully variable and armored Valkyrie toys are you finding for less than $85? Edited by Roger

Anyway, I doubt they'd tease the 'exotic variants' if Bandai hadn't indicated as much. You don't think Bandai had to sign off on this press release? I'd say they must have.

From my experience, there's absolutely no way that anyone at Bandai would have had to 'sign off' on a press release. Press releases are not legally binding in any way so lawyers don't really get involved in their creation and companies almost never stipulate proper press release etiquette in contracts. I think it's more likely that Toynami is waving the variants flag in the same way they waved the Beta around. Five years later we may actually get the Beta but with the chunkies Toynami has no control so it's probably a rather disingenuous ploy on their parts that's 90% hope and 10% expectation. That said, they probably didn't make it up entirely, someone at Bandai probably said something like "We might re-release everything, we might even make new stuff, the sky's the limit!" and Toynami is just running with it.

From my experience, there's absolutely no way that anyone at Bandai would have had to 'sign off' on a press release. Press releases are not legally binding in any way so lawyers don't really get involved in their creation and companies almost never stipulate proper press release etiquette in contracts. I think it's more likely that Toynami is waving the variants flag in the same way they waved the Beta around. Five years later we may actually get the Beta but with the chunkies Toynami has no control so it's probably a rather disingenuous ploy on their parts that's 90% hope and 10% expectation. That said, they probably didn't make it up entirely, someone at Bandai probably said something like "We might re-release everything, we might even make new stuff, the sky's the limit!" and Toynami is just running with it.

That's what I meant, Bandai must have given them some indication the 'exotics' were in the plans. Pulling that out of their own arses and throwing it out there would not be smart.

Hopefully the initial releases sell well enough to get past the Max and Miriya this time.

Hopefully the initial releases sell well enough to get past the Max and Miriya this time.

If they listen to the fans and spice up the artwork and this and that then i figure they will do better than expected.

Pre-orders for the Beta is being offered by retailers, and pictures were shown at NYCC of a test shot, produced from the actual molds. You may have missed those things.
I didn't know it was from the actual mould, but yes, I know the Beta might actually come out someday. I won't be surprised if its delayed again.

First of all, Harmony Gold is the company that makes Robotech. Toynami is a toy company that makes Robotech toys. Harmony Gold is not making these toys.
The statement was on the HG website. It's kinda hard to untangle HG from Toynami in this situation. Steve Yun apparently wrote the news release.

Secondly, the statement about releasing the rare and exotic variants said that this was something they planned on doing. It wasn't a promise. It wasn't written in stone. As we all know, plans change.
Exactly.

I think you're misstating and overstating things that weren't actually said.
No, just saying what they want us to think, what they're implying.

So are you buying any of the reissues?
Maybe.

Remember, danth, everybody's out to get you because you're paranoid...
Well, I'm not gonna take anything too seriously because we're all buds here, but I will say that if not believing HG's marketing hype makes me paranoid, then I will wear my paranoia as a badge of honor.

And I've found it's really only inanimate objects that are out to get me. That, and MisterRyno.

Toynami is a toy company that makes Robotech toys.

...and actual MACROSS toys. With a license and everything. Don't forget that, Rog! ;)

Alright guys Bandai has a collector's division set up for goods in the US for next year, and who knows, maybe the Toynami deal is included in their endeavor. If thats the case, there is no reason to believe Toynami is lying. All they are doing is distributing, and they are going off of what Bandai tells them. Yeah the Beta still isn't out, and every collectors item Toynami planned and developed was delayed. Bandai is making these valkyries, so its much different this time around.

A company would have to be extremely incompetent to ruin this kind of deal.

It sounds like a win/win situation to me. If Bandai does production the exotics, Toynami distributes them in North America, and we get to complete our 1/55 collections then everything is great. If they only do the "common" Dyrl Valkyries then we're back where we were in 2002 with the last reissues. I'm "cautiously optimistic".

Screw the Elint - I've always wanted one of these:

gbp1s_setd.jpg

I'm almost certain the GBP would take a whole new mold... I've heard multiple times (back in 2002) that the GBP mold was lost/ruined. It may just be a rumor but it sure was a popular one. That same rumor also had the mold for the 1/3000 also being lost/ruined. Two sad losses to be sure. I kind of doubt the 1/3000 mold rumor though since Bandai and a dozen knock-off companies made more of them.

The status of the original molds shouldn't matter. Nowadays it's pretty simple to take an existing 3-D item and copy it, you just need to have the money, and the reassurance that you're going to make several times that amount of money back.

I'm pretty sure that Bandai created all new molds in China for the Valkyrie reissues, and it would have been worth it because they ended up using them seven times (if my count is right), and it was most likely much cheaper and faster to do that rather than digging up the old Takatoku/Bandai/Matsuhiro ones in Japan, shipping them to China, and getting them serviceable again.

(Deja vu?)

Yep, that's true. Remember that the 2001-2002 reissues were remolded in a couple of places anyway, most notably the forearms (hence pre-existing 1/55 arm armour did not fit onto the reissues).

So I see no reason why they couldn't *physically* re-engineer a couple of bits of plastic like the radome and boosters to make the elints and ostriches.

As far as guaranteeing sales, though.... they'll be going up against the new 1/60s. It's like seven years ago ALL OVER AGAIN!! Just like in 2001: Yamato announces 1/60s... so Bandai revives the 1/55 line. Are they TRYING to saturate the market!? It's pretty ridiculous. :wacko:

Edited by Renato

As far as guaranteeing sales, though.... they'll be going up against the new 1/60s. It's like seven years ago ALL OVER AGAIN!! Just like in 2001: Yamato announces 1/60s... so Bandai revives the 1/55 line. Are they TRYING to saturate the market!? It's pretty ridiculous. :wacko:

Yeah, I think AcroRay might be on to something when he said Bandai could be doing this as brand management or to hurt Yamato's sales rather than to make lots of money.